• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 will release on October 5th

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Gog isn't renting. You buy it, download it and keep it forever. If it gets removed, you have your drm-free install files backed up, right?
Download only is renting. The end. I've had hard drives crash, I've had viruses wipe them out, I've had people throw them away "because it's old." And the idea that any download only "seller" will always be around, or will keep their entire catalog available in perpetuity is a fantasy. I do not pay to rent games. I do not pay to download anything. Downloading games is renting them.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Download only is renting. The end. I've had hard drives crash, I've had viruses wipe them out, I've had people throw them away "because it's old." And the idea that any download only "seller" will always be around, or will keep their entire catalog available in perpetuity is a fantasy. I do not pay to rent games. I do not pay to download anything. Downloading games is renting them.
What happens if the disc of your "non-rented" copy of a game becomes damaged or lost?

GOG is just as secure a purchase as buying a physical copy is.

Rest

What happens if the disc of your "non-rented" copy of a game becomes damaged or lost?

GOG is just as secure a purchase as buying a physical copy is.
I am the steward of my own property. If I lose something or it is destroyed that is part of life. I'm not going to pay someone to "buy" something from them that they won't guarantee my access to. I don't pay to rent games.

But you skipped over my point, once you download it and back it up, it is no longer renting, you own a copy that you are the "steward" of. Your argument lacks a point.
Because people might throw it out because it's old. Disc burner? Same thing. People might throw a burnt disc out. That's what renting means. It's when you 'own' something but somebody might throw it out for some reason. When you buy things people can't throw them out. That is highly distinct from downloading which of course can be thrown out. There are two types of people. Physical purchase master race, and renters.

That all makes sense to me, *shrug*

raduque

Having a game tied to an activation server is renting, even your precious hard copies.

Fact is, drm-free digital downloads are not renting, no matter what false logic you want to try and justify your incorrect opinion with.

Rest

Having a game tied to an activation server is renting, even your precious hard copies.

Fact is, drm-free digital downloads are not renting, no matter what false logic you want to try and justify your incorrect opinion with.
What activation servers? Any game that requires the internet to play is a game I don't buy. Like I said, I don't pay to rent games.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Because people might throw it out because it's old. Disc burner? Same thing. People might throw a burnt disc out. That's what renting means. It's when you 'own' something but somebody might throw it out for some reason. When you buy things people can't throw them out. That is highly distinct from downloading which of course can be thrown out. There are two types of people. Physical purchase master race, and renters.

That all makes sense to me, *shrug*

When you buy things, people can't throw them out? WTF does that even mean?

Re-read that sentence to yourself a couple of times, and then dissect your argument a good time or two while you're at it.

When you "rent" a game from a downloadable service and make a physical backup of it, then it is as good or better than the same bits of data one "buys" as a physical copy. You are trying to argue the main point by going way off course with random tangents for whatever reason.

When you buy things, people can't throw them out? WTF does that even mean?

Re-read that sentence to yourself a couple of times, and then dissect your argument a good time or two while you're at it.

When you "rent" a game from a downloadable service and make a physical backup of it, then it is as good or better than the same bits of data one "buys" as a physical copy. You are trying to argue the main point by going way off course with random tangents for whatever reason.
I guess you didn't get it :(

Mistake

Dude, wtf are you doing that screws up your computers so bad? No wonder you think this way. I’ve got files going back to 1998, and they’re as transferable as any GoG game is. I could literally put one on a flash drive, burn my old computer, and play it on a new one. No internet required.

Backup your stuff properly

Last edited:
Dude, wtf are you doing that screws up your computers so bad? No wonder you think this way. I’ve got files going back to 1998, and they’re as transferable as any GoG game is. I could literally put one on a flash drive, burn my old computer, and play it on a new one. No internet required.

Backup your stuff properly
Precisely, I've only been infected witha virus once, but I usually don't keep many of my personal stuff on the main HDD. Since 2011, I've been using OneDrive (SkyDrive) and have literally never lost a file and If I do, there are backups. I've never been horribly affected by an HDD crash.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Ok so what's the general consensus on this thing. Is it worth upgrading if you're an average Joe ?

I am perfectly happy with W10, seems W11 a little slow based on 2kilkphilip review. And I only game and watch YouTube on my laptop after office.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Will this fix the scaling settings between laptop usage and monitor (4K) usage and switching between them? At the moment I have to log out of the account to have my scaling applied every time I go from monitor use to just the laptop, maybe its because its on a business laptop but damn...

TTOOLL

I think I said it before but I’ve been running the beta for weeks now and it’s been pretty solid so far. No bugs, no crashes etc. I just didn’t like the fact that they removed the events from the calendar fly outs. It’s now on the widgets pages that I never use lol.

I think I said it before but I’ve been running the beta for weeks now and it’s been pretty solid so far. No bugs, no crashes etc. I just didn’t like the fact that they removed the events from the calendar fly outs. It’s now on the widgets pages that I never use lol.
I haven't really messed with the widgets yet. hmm.

Are you fucking kidding me? My laptop has TPM 2.0 and the power to run Windows 11 without a problem but the CPU isn't compatible?

The CPU is an i7-6700HQ. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I just downloaded the release candidate from Windows Insider. Holy shit--this thing is good! My games seem to run identically, if not a hair faster, and everything else just screams past Windows 10.

And the new look? Oh baby, it's HAWT.

Kenpachii

Are you fucking kidding me? My laptop has TPM 2.0 and the power to run Windows 11 without a problem but the CPU isn't compatible?

The CPU is an i7-6700HQ. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Maybe they will still add support for it as they recently a month ago added support for 7000 series cpu's.

sol_bad

You do realise that if you buy a game from GoG, you can download the installation file and then copy it to a CD, a DVD, a USB stick or an external hard drive? Copy it o all 4 if you want, then throw it on a Cloud server too. Fact is, it's yours to keep and do what you want with, forever.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Without android app support I have zero reason to care about this might install it on my backup pc or VM for kicks

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Installing the beta "release candidate" now.

Will this just Auto update as necessary or do I have to manually download every time?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well it's definitely snappier. Haven't tweaked much and I don't necessarily mind the new start menu/taskbar.

Is direct storage in or shall I say, what features that we should care about AREN'T in?

Last edited:

Durask

Well, just found out that my PC (specifically my motherboard) will not be compatible with Windows 11 which is disappointing.

I have i7-8700K which TBH is more than enough for me and would have served me for another 4-5 years,.

Should I stay on Win 10 and wait until new Intel and AMD chips come out in 2022 before upgrading?

Tams

I love physical media, but come on, the exact same thing can happen to that. I remember forcing my mum to go back to the charity shop and get the games she thought I 'didn't want' back from them.

Downloading stuff is largely the world we live in now. GOG is good enough (and probably the only decent one). Valve/Steam suck as just not having an Internet connection is apparently good enough a reason to prevent you even accessing your library.

just got the release version to install on my mac via the latest VMware Fusion update. Guide is here for those interested;

i went back onto the beta channel hoping things would be more better with the latest update. windows 11 is slowly pissing me off.
  • explorer keeps crashing.
  • settings keeps freezing.
  • bluetooth is fucked ... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. need to fiddle about forever just to connect an xbox controller. if i turn bluetooth off it turns back on.
  • the new menus are annoying cause a lot of stuff i need to right click and go to show more options to get the old menu back.
  • if i put my computer to sleep when i wake it up the entire screen goes insanely washed out so i need to turn the monitor off again then back on
  • also if i put my computer to sleep after a while my audio will start to distort which requires a full reboot
  • boot up/shut down times are SLOW. i have nvme SSD so it shouldn't be this slow. it takes a couple minutes to start up and about a minute to turn off.
i'm trying to peservere with it until more updates come out. that's what i did with Windows 10 which i used since day 1. i can deal with bugs but i'm tempted to go back to Windows 10. i would've done it by now but i can't be arsed having to reinstall and set everything up again.

i went back onto the beta channel hoping things would be more better with the latest update. windows 11 is slowly pissing me off.
  • bluetooth is fucked ... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. need to fiddle about forever just to connect an xbox controller. if i turn bluetooth off it turns back on.
  • the new menus are annoying cause a lot of stuff i need to right click and go to show more options to get the old menu back.
  • if i put my computer to sleep when i wake it up the entire screen goes insanely washed out so i need to turn the monitor off again then back on
  • also if i put my computer to sleep after a while my audio will start to distort which requires a full reboot
  • boot up/shut down times are SLOW. i have nvme SSD so it shouldn't be this slow. it takes a couple minutes to start up and about a minute to turn off.
i'm trying to peservere with it until more updates come out. that's what i did with Windows 10 which i used since day 1. i can deal with bugs but i'm tempted to go back to Windows 10. i would've done it by now but i can't be arsed having to reinstall and set everything up again.
You might want to head over to your motherboard manufacturer's website and get your latest drivers for your Chipset, and or Bluetooth. Right-Click Start and go to Device Manager. If there's anything with a yellow triangle, that means the driver is missing. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS.

As for the right-click menu, as more Software Developers start utilizing Microsoft's newer technologies, you'll have to go to the "Show More" section less and less. For Instance, WINRAR updated their software to support the new menu. Just remember, Copy, Cut, Paste, Share and Delete are icons that appear right next to your cursor now. I've been having muscle memory issues with that one, but it was the right move.

XaLoTjz.png

Fortunately, I've not had very many issues

Last edited:

Damn are you sure there's nothing wrong with your PC? I mean, the explorer crashed once on me while I was using the search in system32 to find the screensaver files but that's it and it's a little understandable why it did that.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned

I have none of these issues and have been in Win11 dev channel for ages. Worst and only problem I've had as of yet is the calendar not coming up when I click the time, but that's been resolved.

Rest

I love physical media, but come on, the exact same thing can happen to that. I remember forcing my mum to go back to the charity shop and get the games she thought I 'didn't want' back from them.

Downloading stuff is largely the world we live in now. GOG is good enough (and probably the only decent one). Valve/Steam suck as just not having an Internet connection is apparently good enough a reason to prevent you even accessing your library.
Rental being the primary way that people obtain games does not mean that I need to take part. I will buy my games and be the steward of my own property.

Top Bottom