• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 RTM Screenshots Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like w8. had had no problems with it from what i've used my laptop/desktop for (desktop - games) (laptop for shits). haven't run to anything with the 8.1 preview build. so i'm ready for RTM and update my desktop and laptop as well.

rrs

how is windows 8 for gaming?

Slight FPS increase, Saints Row 2 fixed.

Man, 8 made people forget about ME lol

ME was garbage because it was on a kernel overdue to be replaced. It also served as a testbed for very useful things later on.

i-RrTj8nL-950x10000.jpg

Yeah, I'd rather have the sliver that was in 8 than that thing.

gohepcat

Banned
Do people really not understand why MS will never drop Metro?

They need to catch up in the phone and tablet market. They sell about 20 million copies of Windows 8 a month and everyone of those 20 million people are slowly getting used to the Metro design language.

When I pick up a Windows Tablet in a store, I already understand how it works. That's a huge deal, and I think it will pay off big in the next 5 years.

Do people really not understand why MS will never drop Metro?

Because it's superior to the old Start Menu in everyway? Just needs some customization, like a 1/2 // 1/4, 1/8-snap to please everyone who literally jump between the menu and desktop every 2 seconds

how is windows 8 for gaming?

I had the same question when I upgraded my PC a week ago. I took a risk going with Win8. I absolutely love it. From the ridiculously fast boot time (gets you to your gaming faster) and the tons of compatibility options (for whatever issue may arise), I wouldn't go back.

Granted, I effectively turned it into a Windows 7 PC by adding a start button and removing Metro hot corners and booting straight to desktop. I still think it's a superior OS underneath the outer shell.

I'm extremely pleased with my gamble to try it out.

elseanio

I had the same question when I upgraded my PC a week ago. I took a risk going with Win8. I absolutely love it. From the ridiculously fast boot time (gets you to your gaming faster) and the tons of compatibility options (for whatever issue may arise), I wouldn't go back.

Granted, I effectively turned it into a Windows 7 PC by adding a start button and removing Metro hot corners and booting straight to desktop. I still think it's a superior OS underneath the outer shell.

Ditto for me. I use Start8 and never see the metro screen.

What steps did you take for the bolded?

Pakkidis

Can someone explain why Metro UI is so bad compared to desktop? Is it just a new interface that people don't like. To me it seems like an interactive desktop which is a good thing.

sangreal

Can someone explain why Metro UI is so bad compared to desktop? Is it just a new interface that people don't like. To me it seems like an interactive desktop which is a good thing.

metro as a launcher is fine. the start menu complaints are silly (especially since you pretty much never see it if you hang out in desktop mode). Metro is not just a launcher though, Metro apps are incredibly limited compared to desktop apps and the multitasking paradigm is complete shit compared to windowing. For the same reasons you wouldn't want to do any real work on a tablet PC. I wouldn't have a problem using a metro tablet though

The biggest mistake they made with Windows 8 IMO was not launching with the desktop versions of the picture viewer and other essentials. It's awful being sent to the fullscreen metro app just to view some jpg. Fortunately you can download all that separately

RdN

I'm already on the Preview and it's stable and fast.. Final version will be great.

Also, I like those wallpapers.

Fonz72

In a way, you already went back. See bolded.

As far as I can tell, almost no one has an issue with the guts of 8. The interface is what causes all of the issues. If they would just make the entire "Metro/Modern" interface 100% optional it would be a great OS. I hate having a cluttered desktop. I don't want a bunch tiles, icons, folders, etc. Also the damn "tablet" style interface for programs (picture viewer, etc.) sucks too.

I have an unused copy of Windows 8 Pro upgrade waiting for 8.1
My wife's laptop has it and I'll see if 8.1 makes a big enough change to put it on my desktop.

ALSO, I WANT MY FUCKING POWER BUTTON BACK!

mm04

Windows 7 : Two clicks for power button
Windows 8 : Two clicks for power button

??

One mouse click if you use Oblytile. Same for sleep and restart. I will never go back to 7 on any machine that I pay for. I'm using the 8.1 preview on my desktop and my Surface. No issues. I only hope that when the full release happens, I don't have to re-do all of my custom tiles again because that's what makes my start screen look great.

kharma45

Windows 7 : Two clicks for power button
Windows 8 : Two clicks for power button

??

One mouse click if you use Oblytile. Same for sleep and restart. I will never go back to 7 on any machine that I pay for. I'm using the 8.1 preview on my desktop and my Surface. No issues. I only hope that when the full release happens, I don't have to re-do all of my custom tiles again because that's what makes my start screen look great.

Or just push the power button on your machine.

dem

Where are all the touchscreen monitors for Windows 8? I swear there are like.. 3 or 4 total models of touchscreen displays.

I'm also pretty disappointed in device manufacturers complete lack of creativity. I hoped Surface would inspire some different designs for mobile windows 8 devices. Most Windows 8 laptops still don't have touchscreens on them. It's a pretty embarrassing showing out there.

kharma45

Where are all the touchscreen monitors for Windows 8? I swear there are like.. 3 or 4 total models of touchscreen displays.

I'm also pretty disappointed in device manufacturers complete lack of creativity. I hoped Surface would inspire some different designs for mobile windows 8 devices. Most Windows 8 laptops still don't have touchscreens on them. It's a pretty embarrassing showing out there.

It'll take time to trickle down. All Ultrabooks have to have them now.

My biggest gripe is that I have to pan through lists and lists of programs if I don't remember the name of a particular program. Much different that win7 and older start program sorting.

And you are currently forced to boot into it.

If you don't remember the name wouldn't an alphabetic list be a lot worse? On the start screen you can group your apps based on categories, which sounds like a better way to look for apps you don't know the name.

Snap isn't limited to a 20/80 view.

You can open multiple instances of Metro apps like IE and Mail.

The Metro control panel finally has all of the options you would expect from a control panel.

Skydrive is fully integrated and the default way of saving files (assuming you opt in).

Worth saying that skydrive is not only integrated as the previous desktop app. It's almost like a virtual HDD where only the essential info of each file is downloaded at first, and the actual file is streamed when you want to use it (unless of course, you want to keep all files at all times).

And adding to the list:

- Improved search.
- The super nice hero search window, which accumulates search results from all apps on your device and from web.
- Better management options for the start screen tiles.
- Better multi monitor support, including moving metro apps into different monitors, and supporting different dpis on each monitor.
- Better High dpi (retina screens) support.
- Lock screen as a slideshow
- Better app store
- Better built in apps! And lots of those apps have now given thought to people who use metro apps with a mouse and keyboard.
- Can disable (some) of the hot corners
- Better and more sync options for both apps and settings, including start screen layout.
- Wifi direct support (for printing, and miracast for wireless display)
- Finger reader native support (no need to instal drivers to use it)

Does anyone running the RTM version of this know if it fixes opening neogaf links in IE11 Metro?
A not very good way to get around this is to return to the tab that called the link, and then again switch to the opened tab. If you close the tab and reopen it the trick won't do, you'd have to start again.

It's a very weird bug XD

Yea, one of my biggest gripes with Windows 8 pre-release was that links from desktop IE would open up in Metro IE.

From reading the above, is that still the case? Or is it just limited to Neogaf?

sk3

Banned
It is disappointing they spend so much time on the metro parts of windows 8. I start my computer, click the "desktop" tile, and never see metro again (except to sleep or shutdown).

I never used the start menu much in windows 7 either for that matter.

Most used apps are in the taskbar. Press the windows key and start typing to find an app not used often. That's like 90% of my computer usage.

Macs are the same way. Apps in the dock, cmd+space for apps I don't use often.

Also the file explorer is like a hundred times better in win8 than win7. The upgrade is worth it for that alone.

Kikarian

Not a fan of Windows 8. I went back to 7, after my laptop came pre-installed with 8. However, I may go back to now it has the start button (Which seems like it takes you back into the wall of apps though) and being able to boot to the desktop etc.

Shawsie64

Banned
Used Windows 7 for years, installed Windows 8 and loved it.. Had issues with HDD and only had my Windows 7 disc (couldn't boot to Windows to download my 8 iso from MS) so went back to 7 for a bit and man what a difference, really felt slower. Downloaded my 8 iso straight away and went back to Windows 8.

The Cowboy

Yea, one of my biggest gripes with Windows 8 pre-release was that links from desktop IE would open up in Metro IE.

From reading the above, is that still the case? Or is it just limited to Neogaf?
I've never had that issue on Neogaf (or any site for that matter). Have you set the "choose how links open in internet explorer" setting under "programs" in "internet options"?.

I have mine set to "let internet explorer decide" and the box under it is un-ticked and links opened on the desktop version open on the desktop version, and links opened on the metro version open on the metro version.

I'm running windows 8 with a shell start menu bar.

I honestly can't wait to reformat back to 7. 8 might be good for some people but I hate it so much. Been running it for about a year.

Culex

Banned
The whole Metro Start Menu really doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of most of the apps, when you can just go to the company's respective website (i.e. Bank of America). Example, their app is too limited to be useful. Why would I EVER use the app over the website?

EGM92

I really liked 8, it was fast, the apps were a nice touch to have (TuneIn Radio streaming your favorite international music stations while doing something is awesome) but I ultimately dropped it because of the constant BSODs due to drivers, everything I installed was rated for Win7/8 x64 I really hope 8.1 is a lot more stable/crashes less for me.

Just remember for anyone installing the leak, you won't be able to activate it even if you have a product key.

SPDIF

I'm running windows 8 with a shell start menu bar.

I honestly can't wait to reformat back to 7. 8 might be good for some people but I hate it so much. Been running it for about a year.

What's been stopping you from re-formatting back to Windows 7 for almost a year?

The Cowboy

The whole Metro Start Menu really doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of most of the apps, when you can just go to the company's respective website (i.e. Bank of America). Example, their app is too limited to be useful. Why would I EVER use the app over the website?

Because a lot of the apps have live status updates - the mail app for example gives an update as soon as mail arrives - why go to the website to check for mail when you can just get a popup in the corner telling you who its from and what its about (and clicking that update takes you directly to that mail).

Regarding the app you mention, it also has live notifications. So rather than going to the website to see if a something has been put into your account (say your expecting a payment), you can get a live status update instead without going to the site.

They're also handy if you just want a quick and no extras app, why go to a site and login etc, when say you just want to make a quick payment which you can access via an app that will auto login (if you set it that way) and startup really quickly.

Microsoft's new update release model is annoying. Either use a buggy feature incomplete Preview while the final version is actually out, minus some final patches,or don't use it at all. I feel like the majority of power users using the incomplete buggy preview would rather be on RTM than the Preview, Microsoft.

hodgy100

I really dont get the ammount of hate windows 8 gets. its not like it has technical issues like ME and Vista did, in fact under the hood it is much much better with windows 7. the problems people have with windows 8 are purely cosmetic and design descisions. many of which arent that different. the metro menu is super fast and even if i never use it it doesnt get in the way.

Windows 8 isnt bad its purely meh. there anrent many reasons for the consumer to upgrade to it. I only got iy myself beause i get it for free through university. but i dont think windows 8 is bad at all and the negative opinion on it just comes across as hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom