• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Why would you be upset at Microsoft for doing exactly the same thing they've always done?

was that just a rhetorical question?

I agree we probably shouldn't have expected MS to be on time, but people have been waiting months for the Surface Pro and time is awaistin'. This is the kind of thing that Apple somehow never fucks up. They release shit when they say they're going to, like clockwork. MS can take notes if they're going to stay in the hardware game.

But yea...Microsoft would be late to their own funeral.

Yes, this is it, thanks! Do you have any recommendations?

the best model you can afford is usually the correct answer.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
? They are still on time. They said waaaaaaayyy back in June 90 days after the release of the rt model and reiterate that by saying January 2013 when they announced the price of surface with windows 8 pro.

PSGames

Edit: Deal just got better, Get an $100 amazon gift card with intel chip based purchase.

Just received my w700 today and due to Amazon's mistake instead of paying $780 and getting a $100 amazon giftcard I got it for a straight up $665! Not bad! First impression is that this thing is BIG. It's at least 70% thicker and heavier than the w510. Don't have the dimensions on hand but hopefully the surface pro is better than this. Functionality wise everything runs swimmingly so far. Encoding videos takes a fraction of the time, web pages load faster, multitasking runs smooth as butter. The 1080p screen has great viewing angles. I can't express how much better 11.6 inches is compared to 10.1. Everything felt so cramped on the w510. I increased the desktop to 150% which has helped tremendously with touch navigation. It comes with a high quality case, dock, Bluetooth keyboard and hdmi to vga adapter. Any questions please let me know.

thundr51

Just received my w700 today and due to Amazon's mistake instead of paying $780 and getting a $100 amazon giftcard I got it for a straight up $665! Not bad! First impression is that this thing is BIG. It's at least 70% thicker and heavier than the w510. Don't have the dimensions on hand but hopefully the surface pro is better than this. Functionality wise everything runs swimmingly so far. Encoding videos takes a fraction of the time, web pages load faster, multitasking runs smooth as butter. The 1080p screen has great viewing angles. I can't express how much better 11.6 inches is compared to 10.1. Everything felt so cramped on the w510. I increased the desktop to 150% which has helped tremendously with touch navigation. It comes with a high quality case, dock, Bluetooth keyboard and hdmi to vga adapter. Any questions please let me know.

Congrats! I almost feel like I should be working for Acer the way I'm talking about these things, but its such a great deal. Heck, I'm using mine right now to type this post (using the Bluetooth keyboard). I put vs2012 on here and managed to compile some of my old wp7.5 stuff, worked great. Honestly, I wish I had more space...mostly just to add more games but overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Incidentally, are you going to get a BT mouse or just going to use touch? Let us know what games (if any) you decide to install and how well they work.

Windu

7co9V.jpg

Whz3C.jpg
I received my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 in the other day and have been loving it. The build quality is excellent. It has a nice smooth finish on the back that makes it a joy to hold. As for the screen size I prefer the 10.1 inch to the 11.6 inch that I tried on the Samsung Ativ Smart PC. This feels just like the right size for me. Performance wise, you need to know going into this that you shouldn't be playing many games or any gpu intensive things. Other than that, it works wonderfully. Browsing is great, as well as general desktop performance. The office applications open quickly and run smoothly as well as all of the other standard windows desktop applications. Played some snes and n64 emulators on the thing and they work fine as well. Basically for all of your normal windows tasks this works great. One thing I hate about Surface with Windows 8 Pro is that the pen has no silo. I would easily lose the pen if this thinkpad didn't have one. But it does which works great, it goes in flush against the sides of the device and is easy to get out. The pen is smaller than a normal pencil/pen size but still comfortable imo, although the right click button is sometimes hard to find when not looking because its flush with the pen itself. (I don't use it much though because right clicks on the desktop can be done by just holding down the pen for a second or two). As for pen performance, it works great for note taking but I think you would want a more powerful device for more art stuff, slows down when you use a brush in applications. The start screen itself has no slow downs, applications load pretty quickly. Seems on par with my desktop which has a ssd and not a eMMC drive like this device. I did notice some slow down in solitaire but the other games seemed to work fine. Overall, this is not your father's netbook. Performance of this new SoC plus the eMMC drive makes it run laps around those old netbooks. (I used to own a dell netbook which was serviceable, but nothing like this). As for the battery life, I can't say enough about it. Its excellent. I routinely get about 9-10 hours out of it just doing daily use (mostly browsing to be honest but I have taxed the system pretty hard with all of the installation and copying I have been doing the past few days). Now on to the images:

Here is an image of the case I bought, it fits both the tablet and the Bluetooth keyboard (i'll get to that later). It is a tight fit though, takes a little bit of effort to get either one out if both are in but the case has a nice soft finish on the inside so it won't damage the device.
And here is the keyboard. It is a Bluetooth keyboard and not a dockable keyboard like many of the others. While I would prefer the dockable kind this is fine. As for the keyboard, I think its excellent. (this whole post has been written with it). Its not a complete full size keyboard but its hard to tell the difference to be honest, this one feels slightly cramped, slightly. But other than that its great imo. The keyboard does not have a touch pad, (that would make it waay too cramped) but it does come with a right and left mouse button as well as a middle mouse button. It also has the thinkpad nub, which to be honest I haven't gotten the hang of yet. It is pretty sensitive. (I do have my mouse speed to max so that might be it). I can still use it but I of course prefer a mouse. I also mostly just use touch or pen on the desktop anyway. Touch on the desktop works fine imo. You of course need to be more exact, but its not omg awful like people make it out to be. If you want easier touch targets you can always make the stuff bigger as well. And as for lap use, it works fine imo. Its not as stable as a real laptop but you can type easily on it. You of course need to have a flat lap, you can't be doing any of that yoga shit. And while the tablet is docked into the keyboard fairly secure it still sometimes can fall out, but I do think this is a better option for your lap than the surface keyboard.
And as for the Tablet screen, I found it quite nice. Of course it probably pales in comparison to the ipad 2400 whatever resolution screen but for such a small screen at 10.1 inches 1366x768 is great and text is nice and clear.

Bing Image Daily Lockscreen Application: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/bing-my-lockscreen/7e1f890f-8960-43e5-a258-58ba3eeb1163
And here is the charger, it uses a micro usb to usb cord. the tablet isn't the fastest charger though, I only charge it overnight. I have heard the docking station for this thing will charge it much faster because it uses the bottom port to connect. I have that on order but it has been delayed.
Overall the experience has been great. the only minor problems I have seen from the tablet is occasionally the sound just stops working (although never when using audio, it basically stops working when not in use and you go back to do something and the audio is off) A quick restart fixes that though (and I mean quick, this thing reboots fast). And another small issue is on a few occasions my wifi would not come back on (think this is after its been in sleep for awhile, but it doesn't happen much only a few times for me). A quick tap of the wifi icon on the desktop and 10 second troubleshooter fixes it though. Other than those two issues its been perfect. I did notice that some people complained about the usb port not connecting to external harddrives. My external (well it is really just a normal harddrive in a mobile case) works fine. It has its own power though so maybe that is the difference. Every usb device I have used with it has worked fine though.

Looks a bit nicer as a tablet than my Yoga. I'd take a 11" Yoga in a heartbeat. I think those are on the way. 13" tablet isn't that bad, but it takes as much space as any ultrabook on tables at cafes.

Nice pics, btw.

JaggedSac

Great write up. The device looks pretty slick. Good to hear it performs well. How much was all that kit, if you don't mind me asking?

Windu

Great write up. The device looks pretty slick. Good to hear it performs well. How much was all that kit, if you don't mind me asking?
I bought the tablet from amazon for about $665 plus $10 1-3 day shipping. I ended up cancelling my original order from Lenovo but it just showed up at my doorstep last night with another tablet and the keyboard and an extra case (guess it comes free when you buy both, nice of them to tell me). No worries though, my dad was in the market for a new pc and has agreed to buy the other tablet off me. So basically it was $665 for the tablet off amazon and about $120 for the keyboard. I think the case was about 20 or 30 but it looks like you can get that free unless they were just being nice.

Windu

Thanks for the Tablet 2 writeup.

Whats the battery life like? Also any port on the keyboard?
About 9-10 hrs and no ports on the keyboard. Ports on the tablet are:

Micro USB
Full Size USB
Mini HDMI
Docking Port
Headphones
MicroSD (I have a 64gb MicroSDXC in there right now)

And a data card slot, this model does not have the internals for that though.

Then there are volume up/down buttons, a rotation lock button, power button and windows button.

Supposedly they also sell models with NFC and a fingerprint reader as well but I haven't seen them anywhere.

Amzin

I bought the tablet from amazon for about $665 plus $10 1-3 day shipping. I ended up cancelling my original order from Lenovo but it just showed up at my doorstep last night with another tablet and the keyboard and an extra case (guess it comes free when you buy both, nice of them to tell me). No worries though, my dad was in the market for a new pc and has agreed to buy the other tablet off me. So basically it was $665 for the tablet off amazon and about $120 for the keyboard. I think the case was about 20 or 30 but it looks like you can get that free unless they were just being nice.

Is this the one you bought? Amazon has some different listings but everything points to this being the one that's $699 on Lenovo's site directly.

Windu

Lenovo is really doing a great job. Yoga, Thinkpad Tablet 2 are each fine products. Thinkpad Tablet 2 'seems' to be what Surface Pro should have been, at least with respect to battery life.

MCD

heh

Orientation lock button is brilliant. Congrats on the device, Windu.

This seems like a really awesome Windows 8 device if someone doesn't want a Surface.

Amzin

Yeah that is it. 367927U model is the one with pen and windows 8

Awesome, thanks. Just ordered it. Another question though: Would that Lenovo case work ok with just the tablet? I wasn't planning on ordering the keyboard right away but I obviously need a case, going to be packing it to college with me every day more than likely.

Windu

Awesome, thanks. Just ordered it. Another question though: Would that Lenovo case work ok with just the tablet? I wasn't planning on ordering the keyboard right away but I obviously need a case, going to be packing it to college with me every day more than likely.
yeah it would work fine.

JaggedSac

The Verge Carbon Touch review

Great looking device.

Good that the battery life is apparently the same as the non-touch version, at least for their set of tests.

Verge guys standing their touch screen laptop ground (or maybe it is the same guy that wrote that other article, I'm too lazy to look though).

I'll say this, though: if you're going to buy the X1 Carbon, buy the touchscreen. As Windows 8 matures, it's going to become even more touch-friendly, and I don't care what Steve Jobs said — touchscreen laptops are awesome. The fingerprints all over my MacBook Air's screen, left as I prodded the display in vain, can attest to that.

Windu

The Verge and other review websites should get rid of scores all together imo. Just have buy or don't buy or something.

maeh2k

The X1 Carbon Touch is so much more awesome than that Macbook Air. I wonder what a Windows notebook would have to do to get a score that high.

I generally don't like notebook reviews (or really any reviews) from the verge. Their methods seem inconsistent and not sufficiently rigorous.

In our battery test, which cycles through a series of websites and high-res images with the screen at 65 percent brightness, the new Air lasted five hours, 34 minutes
It lasted 4 hours, 44 minutes on the Verge Battery test, which cycles through a series of websites and high-res images with brightness set at 65 percent.

How do they figure that setting the brightness to 65% is a good way to compare? In this case it just might work since the X1 Carbon and the Macbook Air have a similar maximum brightness, but generally you have to actually measure the brightness and compare the notebooks at the same brightness. E.g. if you compare the shitty screen of a Sony Vaio T13 with less than 200 cd/m^2 maximum brightness against something like the Acer S7 with 400 cd/m^2 maximum brightness.

Notebookcheck uses 150 cd/m^2 for battery reviews. In the German reviews for the Macbook Air and the Carbon they got just about the same battery life in the web browsing test (6 hours) running Windows. On OSX the Macbook got half an hour more. No huge differences.

thundr51

windows 8 tablet is the new mac OS, where gamers go to dream of their platform being supported.. in vain.

I have a win 8 tablet(i5, 4gb ram) and aside from having a low powered graphics card, I can play pretty much all my steam games. They won't look pretty, but they'll work. Much more than I can say for my Asus transformer..or any iPad.

then again who buys a tablet to play games?

yogloo

Quick question!!
I am planning to buy an acer iconia w510 for work and I don't plan to buy the keyboard dock. How is typing without the dock? I plan to use it mostly on desktop mode for database entry.

Really torn on what device -- or even type of device -- I need to buy. I currently have a desktop PC that I'm constantly sharing with my kids and a clunky laptop that I take on trips to blog on. I'm thinking of ditching the laptop (it's a 1gb HP with Vista on it -- yeah, it's a pooch) and giving the PC to the kids and getting something new to meet all my needs.

Needs:
1. XNA programming
I'm working on a game right now written in XNA. Whatever I get will need to be Windows-based and able to run Visual Studio 2010 as well as a large enough screen that programming isn't a total pain.
2. Art
I have a Cintiq and I'd really like to plug it in to whatever I get, so it needs to be beefy enough to handle it.
3. Blogging
Portability is a must.
4. Gaming
Nothing terribly taxing, but it would be great if it could handle Crusader Kings II and Civilization V -- probably the two most taxing things I'd play. Everything else is old games from GOG or less taxing games on Steam.

I've been considering the Surface Pro, Lenovo Yoga, and Lenovo Helix. Others, of course, but so far those leap out. Surface Pro has the portability but I worry about the screen size and graphics capability, Yoga has a nice large screen but not sure about the rest, and Helix seems to fall in the middle. But ouch at that price. Or maybe I should just go for a full-blown laptop and just not worry about these fancier offerings.

dojokun

Banned
The list in the OP doesn't have the Lenovo Helix. Is the list in the OP only for tablets that have been released? Is there a more complete one that includes all Windows 8 tablets that have been announced?

tino

Banned
The list in the OP doesn't have the Lenovo Helix. Is the list in the OP only for tablets that have been released? Is there a more complete one that includes all Windows 8 tablets that have been announced?

I have it. I just had the row hidden because at the time I thought the spec was too good to be true.

I have un-hid it on my chart.

mhayze

The news out of CES (after that article was posted) seemed to indicate 'up to 8GB'. The PDF on the US site also says 'up to 8GB' although it is possible that the launch will be 4GB only. I just know I'm not biting until the 8GB version is available.

Zips

Does anybody know what Asus' VivoTab with Windows 8 is going for?

I recently got the RT one to replace my dying netbook, because of the $200 reduction in price at places like BestBuy and FutureShop, and Asus' offer to send out free keyboard docks to anyone who buys before the 31st.

I'm pretty sure that the $399 "$200 off" price is the new regular price for it though (BestBuy already has it listed for that now with it no longer being on sale), and I could have sworn I saw a page on FutureShop or something recently that showed the Windows 8 Vivo Tab listed at $499 (not on sale). I can only find listings for it now for like $799 though, and nothing at all on FutureShop or BestBuy.

If I can confirm that the Windows 8 one will be going for $499 soon, regular price, then I might just return the RT one, sell the free dock, and use that money to get the Windows 8 one when it goes on sale from that $499 price point.

I don't -need- Windows 8, but it would be nice not to have Windows RT's limitations on programs and whatnot.

Anyone know about this?

dojokun

Banned
The news out of CES (after that article was posted) seemed to indicate 'up to 8GB'. The PDF on the US site also says 'up to 8GB' although it is possible that the launch will be 4GB only. I just know I'm not biting until the 8GB version is available.
Same here. I want 8GB RAM!!!!

Windu

Does anybody know what Asus' VivoTab with Windows 8 is going for?

I recently got the RT one to replace my dying netbook, because of the $200 reduction in price at places like BestBuy and FutureShop, and Asus' offer to send out free keyboard docks to anyone who buys before the 31st.

I'm pretty sure that the $399 "$200 off" price is the new regular price for it though (BestBuy already has it listed for that now with it no longer being on sale), and I could have sworn I saw a page on FutureShop or something recently that showed the Windows 8 Vivo Tab listed at $499 (not on sale). I can only find listings for it now for like $799 though, and nothing at all on FutureShop or BestBuy.

If I can confirm that the Windows 8 one will be going for $499 soon, regular price, then I might just return the RT one, sell the free dock, and use that money to get the Windows 8 one when it goes on sale from that $499 price point.

I don't -need- Windows 8, but it would be nice not to have Windows RT's limitations on programs and whatnot.

Anyone know about this?
Microsoft store says $799. I assume that is with the dock.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...goryID.44066900/categoryID.60424800/list.true

Zips

Hmm...the user reviews complain that there's no dock included despite the high price.

Ok, I think I may have found the one I saw before. The Vivo Tab Smart is the one that is going for $499 and has Windows 8. Too bad the dock it uses is a bluetooth one and doesn't give the tablet extra battery life or a hinge. Oh well.

Weird that searching for vivo tab on Futureshop only leads directly to the RT one when there's that one too.

yogloo

How's the on screen keyboard for windows 8 in desktop mode?
Instead of the acer, I ordered the lenovo tab 2. Should be here really soon.

Top Bottom