• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Totakeke

Don't forget that there should be a whole slew of new accessories for these new form factors too. Microsoft's Wedge Keyboard looks like a pretty good option for tablets without portable keyboards.

koVyT.jpg

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/wedge-mobile-keyboard/U6R-00001#details

Are there any non-hybrid Windows 8 tablets coming out that has a 1080p screen? I'm gonna use it as a strictly consumptive device. Basically the Asus Infinity and Ipad 3 are the only devices I can think of.

I think he wants a low power, just enough to consume media and not run photoshop.

In that case no. Your only choices are the ones you listed and the Acer A700.
Yea...it's kind of strange. I feel like these hybrids are replacing netbooks and lower-end ultrabooks. I was hoping for more device diversity from the manufacturers. I guess they are reluctant to compete with the iPad.

eastmen

Banned
The HP Envy X2 looks like quality build and design. Very impressed with the Win8 touchpad gestures as well on the Envy X2. Envy X2 is definitely one of the most impressive Atom tablets I've seen thus far. They are all very similar in that class, but the Envy X2 seemed to be the highest build quality.

This Atom-based machine however would only be a PC I'd consider for my mom or brother, not for me. I'm going to need a Core-based 64-bit machine as my daily driver. That narrows things down to the Asus Taichi or the Transformer Books. If you're a gamer I'd say go for the Transformer Books, if you're more interested in portability I'd say go for the Taichi. Both will be pricey though.

I am not sold on the Surface Pro at all. The lack of a 2nd battery or docking ports plus a shoddy keyboard/touchpad and a small 10" screen kills the appeal of the Surface Pro to me. I'm sure the design is cool and build materials great, but I don't find Surface Pro very appealing as an ultrabook or laptop replacement. The Transformer Book and Taichi or even the ATIV Pro make for better laptop replacements.

My preliminary tablet recommendations to everyone depending upon what you're looking for:

Low-cost iPad replacement w/ MS Office: Surface RT

iPad replacement w/ legacy app support: HP Envy X2

Gamer/Power-user: Asus Transformer Book

Ultrabook replacement: Asus Taichi

You have some interesting points.

However you don't list the catagory I'm interested in.

The ipad /ultrabook /gamer / power user catagory.

I want a surface or another pro tablet because i can do everything i can on an ipad and every thing i can do on my pc.

Right now when I travel I have to bring my laptop and tablet. With a surface pro or other tablets I can replace the need to bring both with me.

Yes a surface will never replace my desktop or a desktop replacement laptop. However I don't need it to. I still have a desktop. I just need it to let me surf the web , ocasionaly edit photos in photoshop and the ocasional video .

If i really need to edit alot of video or work on alot of pictures my desktop and my 3 24 inch monitors will do a better job than any laptop will ever do .

I don't list it because it's not something that's possible today. You can't create a device that is as thin/light and good battery life/passive cooling like an iPad plus also has the power and versatility of a mid-high end laptop.

The closest thing to that is probably the Asus Transformer Book, but you're still getting a tablet that is half a pound heavier, has heat vents, and probably half the battery life without the dock. And these Core tablets are not going to be in the same price range as an iPad.

If you want something that is powerful as an Intel Core machine then it's going to have some sacrifices that make it inferior to an iPad in some respects. By saying you want an Intel Core-based tablet you are saying you value the power aspects of the tablet over the other aspects. Sure you want the other features, but you're choosing power over everything else.

If you valued mobility and battery life over everything then you'd choose a Windows RT tablet. If you truly wanted something in between then you'd go for an Atom-based solution.

Really an interesting question.... to me there are only 2 classes. The ipad replacement market (where rt is targeted) and the pro market (where laptops live now).

Well I think Intel and most OEMs are betting on the in between market. There are over 20 Intel Atom tablets coming out this year.

Intel/OEMs are betting that consumers will look at the market and say the RT tablets are too weak and limited in software availability to satisfy their needs and look at the Pro tablets and think they are too expensive and not sleek enough to replace an iPad. Atom-based solutions fall somewhere in the middle on price, mobility, and performance.

It's hard to say where the market will actually go.

You clearly have 3 categories of devices here (ARM, Atom, Core). And then at the Core level you have the choice of integrated or modular keyboards.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate

I want a surface or another pro tablet because i can do everything i can on an ipad and every thing i can do on my pc.

Right now when I travel I have to bring my laptop and tablet. With a surface pro or other tablets I can replace the need to bring both with me.

Yes a surface will never replace my desktop or a desktop replacement laptop. However I don't need it to. I still have a desktop. I just need it to let me surf the web , ocasionaly edit photos in photoshop and the ocasional video .

If i really need to edit alot of video or work on alot of pictures my desktop and my 3 24 inch monitors will do a better job than any laptop will ever do .

You can probably edit pictures and video with a surface pro connected to a large display.

maeh2k

I don't list it because it's not something that's possible today. You can't create a device that is as thin/light and good battery life/passive cooling like an iPad plus also has the power and versatility of a mid-high end laptop.

I'd be okay with 6 hours of battery on a core i device. All that's missing for me would be a nice dock to connect it to displays, mouse, keyboard. And that dock could theoretically also contain an external GPU (like e.g. the dock for the Sony Vaio Z) or an external HDD for more space.

That would make it almost perfect for me. (I'm still not sure if ULV is enough for me)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
hybrid >.....................................................................................Laplet > Tabtop

tino, are you going to add more of the integrated tablet devices like the Yoga, XPS Duo, and Taichi to the chart?

I understand not adding touchscreen ultrabooks, but the devices I mentioned actually convert into a tablet form factor and are very similar to the Sliders on your list.

Do you guys think I should take out the Sony Duo 11?

If the keyboard is not detachable I don't see any season people cross shop it with the rest of the tablets.

The Sony Duo 11 should be included in the same category as the Dell XPS Duo, Lenovo Yoga, Asus Taichi, Toshiba Satelite u925t. These are all tablets with non-removable keyboards. They deserve their own section separate from the other Intel Core tablets as they are going to be a very different weight/size. I could see some people cross shop these with the other Core-based tablets, but not the ARM or Atom tablets.

Maybe you should split this into two different charts. ARM + Atom in one chart and Core tablets with removable/non-removable keyboards in the other chart.

I swear to god in most of the Atom Laptop announcement blogs, people keep asking, "Is this a RT tablet, is this a RT tablet." If this is not the most confusing OS(es) launch, I don't know what it is.

They did give the operating systems different names. (Windows 8 vs. Windows RT).

Perhaps they need to color code the Windows button or something. Red = Windows RT, Blue = Windows 8.

Not sure what the right marketing solution is when you strongly want the operating systems to look identical even though they're not really. I think to some degree Microsoft wants a little confusion. They don't want consumers to just say I'll avoid completely/ignore one of the operating systems.

Whoever coined the term "laplet" needs to hang his head in shame.
Tabtop is where it's at!

I came up with the Tabtop name.

Even "Taptop" or "Tablet top" are better than Laplet

A "laplet" sounds like some kind of napkin.

It's a little silly but I just really like saying the word taptop. :)

tino

Banned
tino, are you going to add more of the integrated tablet devices like the Yoga, XPS Duo, and Taichi to the chart?

I understand not adding touchscreen ultrabooks, but the devices I mentioned actually convert into a tablet form factor and are very similar to the Sliders on your list.

The Sony Duo 11 should be included in the same category as the Dell XPS Duo, Lenovo Yoga, Asus Taichi, Toshiba Satelite u925t. These are all tablets with non-removable keyboards. They deserve their own section separate from the other Intel Core tablets as they are going to be a very different weight/size. I could see some people cross shop these with the other Core-based tablets, but not the ARM or Atom tablets.

I want to group all the "fake tablets" that can not separate the keyboards in a different chart and frankly I don't even want to include them. They are just laptops with touch screens. You can't honestly use a 3 lb "tablet" and pretend you can use it like a 1.5lb one.

For now I will include the 11" "fake tablets" since there is only one but I definite don't want to include 12" ones. There is no 12" transforming tablets so nobody is going to cross shop a 12" laptop with a laplet ;)

I haven't heard anything that Asus is actually going to produce the Taichi.

Maybe you should split this into two different charts. ARM + Atom in one chart and Core tablets with removable/non-removable keyboards in the other chart.

A lot of people are still cross shopping the RT and the i5, or the Atom with the i5 in this thread. I think it make sense to sort them by CPU/OS first, and then screen size second.

If you want the excel file to play around with, let me know.

They did give the operating systems different names. (Windows 8 vs. Windows RT).

Perhaps they need to color code the Windows button or something. Red = Windows RT, Blue = Windows 8.

Not sure what the right marketing solution is when you strongly want the operating systems to look identical even though they're not really. I think to some degree Microsoft wants a little confusion. They don't want consumers to just say I'll avoid completely/ignore one of the operating systems.

Confusing names going by the forum replies.

Why doesn't MS call the Windows RT "WebOS 2"? Because that's what it is.

I came up with the Tabtop name.

Even "Taptop" or "Tablet top" are better than Laplet

A "laplet" sounds like some kind of napkin.

It's a little silly but I just really like saying the word taptop. :)

Laplet annoys more people. :)

"Fake" tablets? Jebus...

The term you are desperately searching for is slates vs convertibles. And weight is byproduct of screen size and cooling requirements.

Tablet is a tablet, whether it's 5 lbs and can convert into a laptop form factor, or is 1.5 lbs and a slate with detachable base or keyboards. It's all about choice to the consumer. If you insist on tablet that only weight up to 1.5 lbs, you'll get ARM or Atom with reduced capabilities. End of story.

Evolution of tablets will be stuck in small landscape that Apple has made if the users are so damn inflexible.

I want to group all the "fake tablets" that can not separate the keyboards in a different chart and frankly I don't even want to include them. They are just laptops with touch screens. You can't honestly use a 3 lb "tablet" and pretend you can use it like a 1.5lb one.

If it converts into a tablet form factor then it's a tablet. Some people might even call them Tablet PCs.

If these convertibles are just laptops with touch screens then what are the actual laptops with touch screens like the Acer Aspire S7 or the Asus Zenbook Touch? Obviously these devices are different.

I hereby propose the following terminology:

Touchbooks = touch-enabled ultrabooks
Convertibles = any tablet with non-removable keyboard (this includes sliders, swivels, flip overs, and dual screens)
Transformers = removable keyboard dock
Slates = plain tablet without keyboard dock

For now I will include the 11" "fake tablets" since there is only one but I definite don't want to include 12" ones. There is no 12" transforming tablets so nobody is going to cross shop a 12" laptop with a laplet ;)

"fake tablets?" Come on now. You know Tablet PC existed long before the ARM tablets.

Furthermore:

Taichi = 11.6"
Vaio Duo = 11.6"
Satelitte u925t = 12.5"
XPS Duo = 12.5"
Ideapad Yoga = 13.3"

I don't see how screen size is a factor here. You can get a Transformer Book in up to 14" size, yet it's a "real" tablet?

I haven't heard anything that Asus is actually going to produce the Taichi.

Asus has said the Taichi is shipping before Christmas. This is an actual product that was announced at Computex and available for hands on at IFA. The Taichi is coming out in multiple screen sizes. 11.6" and 13.3" Same as Transformer Book.

The Taichi was at IFA this week and everyone in the press was able to play with it:

Tabtech (Taichi Hands-On)

Asus Taichi IFA Presentation

Mobile Geeks (Taichi Hands-on)

Looks like a close to finished product based upon the media hands-on at IFA. Maybe you are confusing it with Samsung's dual screen Retina laptop which is just being called a prototype at IFA?

A lot of people are still cross shopping the RT and the i5, or the Atom with the i5 in this thread. I think it make sense to sort them by CPU/OS first, and then screen size second.

The Asus Transformer Book and Samsung ATIV Pro have the exact same CPU and screen options as the Asus Taichi or Lenovo Yoga. So that's why I say people would be cross shopping them.

It just seems strange to include the slider convertibles but not the other convertibles. I'd either leave them all out or include them all.

I hereby propose the following terminology:

Touchbooks = touch-enabled ultrabooks
Convertibles = any tablet with non-removable keyboard (this includes sliders, swivels, flip overs, and dual screens)
Transformers = removable keyboard dock
Slates = plain tablet without keyboard dock

Not bad. Not bad at all. I second this motion.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I currently use an original Transformer....love it.

It was recently damaged on a trip (stupid airport personnel!) and while it still works fine, it made me look at the possibilities out there.

To be honest....there are so many options for tablets now that I am frankly overwhelmed trying to think about it.

I don't know if I should stay with Android (I own a ton of content/apps for it) or switch to Windows (seems like a million options out there).

So lost!!

You sir are a marketing nightmare. Maybe intel can hire you so you can create useless naming schemes.

Seriously it's not as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Tablet slates (no keyboard)
Tablet convertibles (can't remove keyboard)
Tablet transformers (can remove keyboard)

How is it useless to be able to describe the type of tablet that you want?

It's a good thing I didn't mention the touch screen all-in-ones, your head would have exploded into a million tiny bits.

So on about the disk space, here is the Samsung RT tablet. It's 32gb with 27.3gb usable with 12.4gb already used. Seems a bit heavy.

Wonder if you can remove Office if you don't need it, but then how can you install it again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOyOqzLKRKg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hmm that sucks, at least you can add a 32GB card to the tablet portion and a 64GB card to the keyboard base. So there is a lot of room for expandability even on these ARM machines. And memory cards are pretty cheap now.

Not certain yet, but I think 64GB SDXC cards will work with most of these tablet docks.

tino

Banned
I will include the Taichi, is there any other 11" ultrabook (with touchscreen) I am not aware of?

(Taichi's situation is so strange, its design so crazy I thought there would be a thread dedicate to it. Yet nobody talk about it.)

eastmen

Banned

Not everyone needs 10 hours of battery life. I would only need 5-8 hours at the most and things like the pop battery would make it easy to recharge.

The ipad is heavier than a nook simple touch , it gets far less battery life also and it never even gets warm unlike the ipad. Except alot of people find a use for the ipad .

The closest thing to that is probably the Asus Transformer Book, but you're still getting a tablet that is half a pound heavier, has heat vents, and probably half the battery life without the dock. And these Core tablets are not going to be in the same price range as an iPad.
And ? The ipad isn't the be all device. Can I load up a video editing program on an ipad and edit my latest 1080p home video ? Can I play diablo 3 ? Can i play swtor ?

If you want something that is powerful as an Intel Core machine then it's going to have some sacrifices that make it inferior to an iPad in some respects. By saying you want an Intel Core-based tablet you are saying you value the power aspects of the tablet over the other aspects. Sure you want the other features, but you're choosing power over everything else.
Except the ipd is inferior in other respects ? All your telling me is there is no one device that exists . Personaly instead of bringing an e-reader , ipad and laptop with me , i much rather bring an e-reader and a windows 8 pro device.

If you valued mobility and battery life over everything then you'd choose a Windows RT tablet. If you truly wanted something in between then you'd go for an Atom-based solution.

I guess if i lived some where that outlets haven't been invented. But in my normaly day to day life I never spend more than a few hours away from an outlet so that ability isn't as important as you make it out to be. Besides we don't know what the pro verisons will get
Well I think Intel and most OEMs are betting on the in between market. There are over 20 Intel Atom tablets coming out this year.

Intel/OEMs are betting that consumers will look at the market and say the RT tablets are too weak and limited in software availability to satisfy their needs and look at the Pro tablets and think they are too expensive and not sleek enough to replace an iPad. Atom-based solutions fall somewhere in the middle on price, mobility, and performance.

Not everyone needs the same amount of power. There is surely alot of people who would enjoy atom based products , there was after all a sucessful netbook market.

It's hard to say where the market will actually go.

You clearly have 3 categories of devices here (ARM, Atom, Core). And then at the Core level you have the choice of integrated or modular keyboards.

You do.

tino

Banned
I currently use an original Transformer....love it.

It was recently damaged on a trip (stupid airport personnel!) and while it still works fine, it made me look at the possibilities out there.

To be honest....there are so many options for tablets now that I am frankly overwhelmed trying to think about it.

I don't know if I should stay with Android (I own a ton of content/apps for it) or switch to Windows (seems like a million options out there).

So lost!!

Get an atom tablet, you can install android later.

Wiktor

You sir are a marketing nightmare. Maybe intel can hire you so you can create useless naming schemes.

Why? The only new term is transformers and it's perfectly fine term. Names like convertibles or slates have been commonly used for over a decade already

Wiktor

Riight...let's ignore hundreds of tablets pc that's been released in last decade solely becuase you think their weight makes them "fake".

Sorry, but this:

lenovo_thinkpad_x220_400.jpg

is a tablet. Always was and always will be.

Riight...let's ignore hundreds of tablets pc that's been released in last decade solely becuase you think their weight makes them "fake".

Sorry, but this:

lenovo_thinkpad_x220_400.jpg

is a tablet. Always was and always will be.

X220T was one of the best. Hopefully Lenovo finds it way again for the X230T replacement.

Just ordered the Fujitsu T902. Hoping it's a spiritual successor to the Toshiba R25. Can't wait...

fujitsu-lifebook-t902.jpg

maeh2k

X220T was one of the best. Hopefully Lenovo finds it way again for the X230T replacement.

What's the problem with the 230? The new keyboard? Or are there any other problems compared to the 220?

Hmm that sucks, at least you can add a 32GB card to the tablet portion and a 64GB card to the keyboard base. So there is a lot of room for expandability even on these ARM machines. And memory cards are pretty cheap now.

Not certain yet, but I think 64GB SDXC cards will work with most of these tablet docks.

I don't think it's a big issue. It's basically competing with the 16 GB iPad and the app sizes probably don't come close to some of the retina iPad games. And as you said, it's extendable.

What's the problem with the 230? The new keyboard? Or are there any other problems compared to the 220?
Apparently there are some fit and finish issues compared to X220T. Besides that, you can't give us another 1366x768 LCD for a convertible. Come one now Lenovo...

It's just X220T with Ivy Bridge. Lazy...

maeh2k

I'm now less interested in the Yoga.

Supposedly starts at 1500 Euros, they won't sell the nice orange color in Germany, and for the price, the display isn't that great. (also, I'd really like pen input)

eastmen,

You mentioned "iPad" as being a part of the category you were interested in, but the class of device you mentioned you actually want has very few of the aspects that make something an iPad-class tablet or ARM-class tablet (low price, long battery life, extended life standby mode, thin, light, passive cooling).

If you don't prioritize those aspects, fine, but then what you want is in a different category of tablet than the iPad or Windows RT tablets.

I never suggested there was no use for Intel Core-based tablets. On the contrary that's most likely going to be the kind of tablet that I end up using as my main computer. So please stop justifying your decision to me, I understand it. The sole point I was making was that a device that has all the good aspects of an ARM-tablet and all the good aspects of Core-tablet doesn't yet exist.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
God, looking at all these devices, I've been thinking...

So many moving parts.

Hoping the build quality in general is great, but it seems like there are more chances for part failure.

eastmen

Banned
eastmen,

You mentioned "iPad" as being a part of the category you were interested in, but the class of device you mentioned you actually want has very few of the aspects that make something an iPad-class tablet or ARM-class tablet (low price, long battery life, extended life standby mode, thin, light, passive cooling).

If you don't prioritize those aspects, fine, but then what you want is in a different category of tablet than the iPad or Windows RT tablets.

I never suggested there was no use for Intel Core-based tablets. On the contrary that's most likely going to be the kind of tablet that I end up using as my main computer. So please stop justifying your decision to me, I understand it. The sole point I was making was that a device that has all the good aspects of an ARM-tablet and all the good aspects of Core-tablet doesn't yet exist.

I own an ipad 2 , touch pad with ics and the original transformer which has god only know what right now.

They all get good battery life. But whats battery life matter if i can't do what I have to do ?

You list things in the arm tablet that don't matter. Whats a low price matter ? The ipad starts at $500 and goes up to what $800 ? That isn't very cheap.

A surface pro will most likely start at $800 and go to $1200 or so. But on the flip side its actually capable of replacing a laptop full time. So when I put the cost of the ipad + a decent laptop together I will get at least the same price .

Battery life ? Whats long battery life ? My ipad will last me 8 hours or so before a charge. It sounds great but my nook simple touch glow lasts me 20 hours if not more . Stand by ? lasts me even longer. Now your going to tell me but the nook simple touch glow doesn't do all the things and ipad can do or do them as well as the ipad . You would be correct but its the same thing when comparing the current tablets with a windows 8 pro tablet.

Thin , light ? Again its a matter of opinion . Whats the diffrence between 1.5lbs and 1.9 lbs ? Again the nook is much lighter than either but again the other devices do more .

Passive cooling also doesn't bother me. My nook doesn't even get warm and yet the ipad gets very hot in comparison and once again a windows 8 pro tablet will allow me to do much more than either of these devices.

Now look the Arm tablets are fine devices and I know alot of people who enjoy them. I even enjoy then for light surfing and video playing . But the experiance between an arm tablet and a windows pro tablet will be night and day and the pro tablet will allow me to do much more and more importantly will allow me to reduce my trabel load.

You list things that you think are great aspects of a device but not everyone will agree.

Wiktor

God, looking at all these devices, I've been thinking...

So many moving parts.

Hoping the build quality in general is great, but it seems like there are more chances for part failure.

Older OEMs that specialize in PCs shouldn't have problems with that. Those things are built to last. My thinkpad tablet is 5 years old and the convertible hinge still holds very strong.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Which Atom hybrid looks like worth buying? Been thinking about the Asus Vivo one.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm looking for something with a keyboard. I wonder how much the Asus Transformer Book will cost.

popeutlal

Beware with Asus tablets, they use the cheapest flash memory, single channel ram, low quality wifi and bluetooth chips. Making the system very slow to read/write from disk. This causes random slow down when web browsing and other tasks.

This has been the case with their past four Android tablets, sans the Nexus 7. Their external design is great but the internals are the worst of the competition.

Hopefully they design their Win 8 hardware differently...but I'd bet they will not.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
That is really solid. I would totally get that if I wanted an RT device.

EDIT: I wonder how Asus feels about everyone taking their idea.

Isn't it full W8 though? :/

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
How much might it cost though? Around 700 hopefully?

tino

Banned
That is really solid. I would totally get that if I wanted an RT device.

EDIT: I wonder how Asus feels about everyone taking their idea.

They should sue the shit out of everybody and then use the money to sue restaurants and supermarkets that has "Asus" or "Asses" in their names

Top Bottom