• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central on US December NPD: PS4 sold 1,568,000 (238K Pro), XB1 sold 1,511,000

I don't get it. You always come to these threads saying it's a treat when it's not highly positive news. Like you're above the behavior you're mocking...

I mean...look at the statement in bold and tell me that it isn't just as sad.

Looked at his post history Pot calling the kettle black if I ever saw it. Pretty transparent considering he seems pretty vested in the war.

Anticol

Banned
I know and read your post

The gap at the end of 2015 was 1.3m and 11,5%
The gap at the end of 2016 is 1.65m and 10,5%

but the Ps4 2016 lead over Xb1 was basically contributed by just Q1 and a very big margin
Ps4 sold 962K
Xb1 sold 619K
The gap for that quarter was 343K or 55,5%

That is the total Ps4 lead over Xb1 for the full year of 2016

M8 really? why don't you drop it already, look at the numbers, the gap is wider by 350k and you still call that progress? Oh man, the only reason the percentage is lower is because the amount of consoles are higher.

Elandyll

Banned
Except, the 5th lap never happened yet, so your guy is still losing ground, 21 seconds behind.

To put this in mathematical terms, if we're graphing the gap in total sales, the gap has always been increasing. The first derivative of the graph of that gap would be the rate that the gap in total sales is increasing by, and that's still completely in the positive range.
And it's the third year/ season your kid is trying for gold.
... In a race with only 2 other kids
1st year he ended up very distant second, practically ex aequo with the third, and he ragequitted instead of trying more.

2nd year he did a great effort but ended up 3rd by a hair, even though the favorite fumbled his start and ended up 2nd, nearly 3rd. At least he kept going for the distance.

And now, 3rd year, he's going to end up distant 2nd again, but only because the outsider, which won the 2nd season handily, bungled his race so badly from the start he ended up dropping out early and declaring it was time for a do over and a whole new season, but this time the running would be done while holding both arms up and screaming "Weeeeeeeee!!!!" the whole race.

M8 really? why don't you drop it already, look at the numbers, the gap is wider by 350k and you still call that progress? Oh man, the only reason the percentage is lower is because the amount of consoles are higher.

okay i give up. you either can't or don't want to understand and rather be closed-minded
there is more than just the total and yearly comparison. if you don't care about anything else, fine...

we'll talk again next year, when xbox one sold more than ps4 for the full year
and i will explain you where and how that "gap closing" happend even while the total gap increased ;)

edit: here are the full YTD sales

2013 - launch period
XB1: 1.82M
PS4: 2m
gap: 0.18M (10%)

2014 - huge xbox one holiday sales
XB1: 4.37M
PS4: 4.69M
gap: 0.32M (7.5%)

2015 - huge holiday sales for ps4 and strong overall year
XB1: 4.93M (up 13%)
PS4: 5.72M (up 22%)
gap: 0.79M (16%)

December 2016
XB1: 1,511K (up 10%)
PS4: 1,558K (down 1%)

2016H2 - launch of Xbox One S
XB1: 3.62M (down 1%)
PS4: 3.51M (down 16%)
Gap: -0.11M (-3%)

2016 - close holiday sales, very strong Q1 for ps4
XB1: 4.73M (down 4%)
Ps4: 5.09M (down 11%)
gap: 0.36M (7.5%)

LTD
XB1: 15.85M
PS4: 17.5M
gap: 1.65M (10.5%)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Chuckling at the people who don't get the reference of Etta's two SKU post
All it took was one post to bring them out of the woodwork, I'm flattered.
🤣😎

The best part, they don't even get it.

Those Pro numbers are indeed troubling for Scorpio though, then at the same time it confirms it can't be over $399, which is nice.

STEaMkb

So when MS beat Sony with the Xbone S by 10k units on one of those four months, it was a victory by MS having two the Xbone and the Xbone S. but now that Sony beat MS by almost 60k it is a tie.

That's the narrative. In reality, there was a tremendous amount of uncertainty for several months regarding the PS4.5, and Microsoft managed to take advantage of that hesitation after E3 with the Xbox One OG and Xbox One S. "Microsoft have truly turned things around" was the message, even though the gap was less than Decembers for 3 months.

All fun and games.

🤣😎

Thos Pro numbers are indeed troubling for Scorpio though, then at the same time it confirms it can't be over $399, which is nice.

I mean. I don't ever really comment on your stuff, so I don't get the woodwork rubbish, but the comment applies to almost every negative news thread I see you in. Apologies for not getting your joke, but it's not like you don't ooze passive aggressiveness in any MS thread anyhow. Back to the "woodwork" of switch threads I guess.

cakely

🤣😎

Those Pro numbers are indeed troubling for Scorpio though, then at the same time it confirms it can't be over $399, which is nice.

Ha ha, you were trolling! And people fell for it! Well done.

I take it some of yall assume that if there was no Pro, Xbox would have won Dec?

Interesting.

It's not unreasonable to think this. We know not every Pro sold is a new user. Plenty of Pro sales come from people upgrading. If the upgrade didn't exist, there wouldn't be a sale to add to that total figure. With the margin between the PS4/Pro sales and Xbox One being about 50k. It's not unreasonable to think at least 1 in 5 people buying a Pro did it as an upgrade. So the real question is, how many sales for the Pro are new users and how many are people upgrading?

It's not unreasonable to think this. We know not every Pro sold is a new user. Plenty of Pro sales come from people upgrading. If the upgrade didn't exist, there wouldn't be a sale to add to that total figure. With the margin between the PS4/Pro sales and Xbox One being about 50k. It's not unreasonable to think at least 1 in 5 people buying a Pro did it as an upgrade. So the real question is, how many sales for the Pro are new users and how many are people upgrading?

And how many people bought an XBOne S as an upgrade to their original?

Same can be said of x1s, especially considering it is a much better upgrade from original x1 then ps4 slim was too ps4.

Unknown?

Lots of people upgraded their OG to an S too btw. And if Pro didn't launch there'd be more people upgrading to the slim as they have historically when a slim launches. I don't think it changed their baseline.

notaskwid

What's the point of discussing this hypotheticals?
If Microsoft had sold the xbox one for 50 bucks they would have won by whetever inventory they'd been able to put on the shelves
See how it works?

The XB1 S is a significant upgrade over the OG XB1. Not as substantial as PS4 -> Pro, but stuff like HDR and 4K playback (and a bit more power to boot) aren't minor upgrades.

N.Domixis

Banned

Lets just conveniently ignore the X slim which is a much better box the Og Xb. This is why I love this place.

Sony will take NPD ties all day every day, a tie is a huge win for them.

MS needs to be outselling Sony by 1 million units in the post season to have any chance.

What's the point of discussing this hypotheticals?
If Microsoft had sold the xbox one for 50 bucks they would have won by whetever inventory they'd been able to put on the shelves
See how it works?

I was answering a hypothetical with a hypothetical. The entire point of my post to was to point out the frivolity.

notaskwid

I was answering a hypothetical with a hypothetical. The entire point of my post to was to point out how frivolous it is to rely on hypotheticals.
I know, I'm following it with an even more ridiculous one to show how useless it is to discuss what could have been in this case.

Same can be said of x1s, especially considering it is a much better upgrade from original x1 then ps4 slim was too ps4.

Lots of people upgraded their OG to an S too btw. And if Pro didn't launch there'd be more people upgrading to the slim as they have historically when a slim launches. I don't think it changed their baseline.

The XB1 S is a significant upgrade over the OG XB1. Not as substantial as PS4 -> Pro, but stuff like HDR and 4K playback (and a bit more power to boot) aren't minor upgrades.

Lets just conveniently ignore the X slim which is a much better box the Og Xb. This is why I love this place.

Wow, jump to conclusions anyone? Where does anyone come off that I'm ignoring it? A lot of people seem to be defensive. Context matters. I was addressing the simple notion that people think that if the Pro didn't exist, Microsoft would have possibly won. I think that's possibly true. The Pro not existing doesn't mean the Xbox One S wouldn't exist and the PS4 Slim is a lot more in line with the Xbox One S than the Pro anyway as there are people upgrading their PS4 for the Slim too. But none of that matters to the point I was addressing. It's not an unreasonable stance that if the Pro didn't exist, Microsoft could have been ahead. It's all hypothetical, but the notion isn't crazy at all. It's perfectly reasonable.

Wow, jump to conclusions anyone? Where does anyone come off that I'm ignoring it? A lot of people seem to be defensive. Context matters. I was addressing the simple notion that people think that if the Pro didn't exist, Microsoft would have possibly won. I think that's true. The Pro not existing doesn't mean the Xbox One S wouldn't exist and the PS4 Slim is a lot more in line with the Xbox One S than the Pro anyway as there are people upgrading their PS4 for the Slim too. But none of that matters to the point I was addressing. It's not an unreasonable stance that if the Pro didn't exist, Microsoft could have been ahead. It's all hypothetical, but the notion isn't crazy at all. It's perfectly reasonable.

If the Pro didn't exist, the Pro sales wouldn't just simply vanish. It's also not an unreasonable stance that if the Pro didn't exist, consumers would still buy a regular PS4. See how ridiculously easy it is to play the hypothetical game? But sure, disagreement equals defensiveness because screw nuance, am I right? :D

If the Pro didn't exist, the Pro sales wouldn't just simply vanish. It's also not an unreasonable stance that if the Pro didn't exist, consumers would still buy a regular PS4. See how ridiculously easy it is to play the hypothetical game? But sure, disagreement equals defensiveness because screw nuance, am I right? :D

Did you not read what I said in my post though? I address the very notion that the sales wouldn't simply vanish. In fact I specifically infer that any new users would have translated to PS4 sales which is why I was specifically focused on people upgrading. The simple point I was trying to get at is, the margin between the two was about 50k. Out of that 238k, were there 50k or more upgrading? If so, then it's easily possible MS would have won if the Pro didn't exist. In the end, the point is that it's not an irrational conclusion.

Did you not read what I said in my post though? I address the very notion that the sales wouldn't simply vanish. In fact I specifically infer that any new users would have translated to PS4 sales which is why I was specifically focused on people upgrading. The simple point I was trying to get at is, the margin between the two was about 50k. Out of that 238k, were there 50k or more upgrading? If so, then it's easily possible MS would have won if the Pro didn't exist.

And what about the people who traded in their OG XB1's for the XB1 S? If you want to apply your hypothesis to the Pro, then you need to consider the same possibility for the XB1 S. How do you know for sure that 100% of the XB1 S purchases are new customers?

For someone who says context matters, you are doing a really terrible job looking at the entire context...

ironmang

I'm kind of surprised at how low the Pro ratio is. Was the thing not widely available, or were people just uninterested?

Definitely think it's just people being uninterested. Especially since there's no exclusive games and 4k TVs aren't the standard. Even if my PS4 broke right now I'd just buy a slim and I'm far more into this hobby than the average consumer.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
In its fourth December the Wii sold a lot more didn't it? I think it still holds the record for the month.

Maybe this has been pointed out already. This performance from PS4 doesn't impress me.

And what about the people who traded in their OG XB1's for the XB1 S? If you want to apply your hypothesis to the Pro, then you need to consider the same possibility for the XB1 S. How do you know for sure that 100% of the XB1 S purchases are new customers?

For someone who says context matters, you are doing a really terrible job looking at the entire context...

It doesn't matter though. The Pro being released isn't dependent on the Xbox One S existing. The scenario in question is if the Pro didn't get released, would Microsoft end up on top for December with the cards they played? Nobody knows, but it's not an unreasonable conclusion to say yes or that it's possible given how narrow the margin is and assuming that a percentage of the people buying a Pro were upgrading and wouldn't have bought another PS4 since they already had one. The real question is, what is that percentage in reality of how many people upgraded, which is a question I posed in my original response. Trying to focus on the Xbox One S in this scenario is irrelevant.

Unknown?

It doesn't matter though. The Pro being released isn't dependent on the Xbox One S existing. The scenario in question is if the Pro didn't get released, would Microsoft end up on top for December with the cards they played? Nobody knows, but it's not an unreasonable conclusion to say yes or that it's possible given how narrow the margin is and assuming that a percentage of the people buying a Pro were upgrading and wouldn't have bought another PS4 since they already had one. The real question is, what is that percentage in reality of how many people upgraded, which is a question I posed in my original response. Trying to focus on the Xbox One S in this scenario is irrelevant.

In that sense it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume PS4 would have sold better without the Pro. It is, after all pricier, so there may have been people wanting a PS4 but didn't have the money for a Pro and wouldn't settle for an OG. Hypothetically anything is possible.

So that 1.568 million helped Sony reach 54 million, and MS 1.511 million helped them reach 26 million.

Yikes, MS better hope scorpio turns things around.

LOL

Um what you said is "reasonable" is really only reasonable if you don't allow for the chance that xbox one Ss also sold to upgraders. I don't get how you don't understand that that's relevant.

If the situation was that all 1.5 mil xboxes were OG models and the slim didn't exist I'd agree with you that it's reasonable to think PS4 probably wouldn't have sold more without the Pro.

I feel like you just forgot to account for the possibility that the S was also an upgrade and now just won't admit you forgot.

In that sense it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume PS4 would have sold better without the Pro. It is, after all pricier, so there may have been people wanting a PS4 but didn't have the money for a Pro and wouldn't settle for an OG. Hypothetically anything is possible.

Hypothetically anything is possible, but there's a wide range on what a reasonable outcome is and a highly unlikely one is. You'd have to show that the percentage of people who want a Pro but couldn't afford one but wouldn't settle for the PS4 and would have definitely bought a PS4 if the Pro never existed is a high enough number to offset the number of people upgrading to a Pro to the point where the difference is less than the margin that Sony won by. People actually work with figures like this when doing market projections by the way, so these hypotheticals do have some merit when they are reasonable situations.

Um what you said is "reasonable" is really only reasonable if you don't allow for the chance that xbox one Ss also sold to upgraders. I don't get how you don't understand that that's relevant.

If the situation was that all 1.5 mil xboxes were OG models and the slim didn't exist I'd agree with you that it's reasonable to think PS4 probably wouldn't have sold more without the Pro.

I feel like you just forgot to account for the possibility that the S was also an upgrade and now just won't admit you forgot.

The One S is irrelevant to the situation though to the scenario I was responding to. It doesn't matter who upgraded and who was new. It sold that amount with the cards that Microsoft played. The question I was responding to is, is it unreasonable to think that Microsoft could have beaten Sony in December if the Pro didn't exist. My answer is yes, it's reasonable and explained why.

ironmang

So that 1.568 million helped Sony reach 54 million, and MS 1.511 million helped them reach 26 million.

Yikes, MS better hope scorpio turns things around.

LOL

I don't get this. They're doing nearly as well as they were at this point last generation. You don't need to "win" to be successful. Far from a Wii U situation.

Hypothetically anything is possible, but there's a wide range on what a reasonable outcome is and a highly unlikely one is. You'd have to show that the percentage of people who want a Pro but couldn't afford one but wouldn't settle for the PS4 and would have definitely bought a PS4 if the Pro never existed is a high enough number to offset the number of people upgrading to a Pro to the point where the difference is less than the margin that Sony won by. People actually work with figures like this when doing market projections by the way, so these hypotheticals do have some merit when they are reasonable situations.

But it's not a reasonable hypothetical unless you have some reason to believe that the One S is less prone to repeat buyers than the Pro is.

Top Bottom