• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central on US December NPD: PS4 sold 1,568,000 (238K Pro), XB1 sold 1,511,000

The pro does seem like a mistep by Sony. It's not a particularly meaningful upgrade over ps4 slim, can't do native 4k, and doesn't have a UHD blu ray player. The values just not there. They should've waited a year or two until native 4k was possible and released a more substantial upgrade, especially considering base ps4 is killing it anyway.

The Pro is a way for Sony to make extra money on hardware from there hardcore fans \ keep people in there ecosystem .
It must be near or over million WW and out of stock in many places .
They mostly likely also making profit off all them so it's seem to be doing it's job .

Bish retired, he's not an admin any more

He was awesome as one .

AmyS

The bottom line is, console sales are extremely healthy, as the article stated.

Looking forward to Scorpio late this year, and in the longer term, true next gen PS5/XBNext consoles around ~2020, or so.

badb0y

The Pro is an option for people who want to pay more for better performance. Most people do not fall in this category so obviously the sales are not going to be crazy like the PS4 slim.

It is because part of the users thinks it will be the savior... the second coming... the last hope.

Only the brave, hope..

Lol! Come on maaaannnn itll come down from the skies. Dip into the ocean. Rise like a jaeger and take us to the promise land of Native 4k.

Lmao. Queur monk chant music with MC floating down wearing The Poncho.

Anticol

Banned
Because X1 achieved far more than anyone expected, up YOY and remained on the heels of PS4 which had 2 SKUs. Sony done well, but X1 showed strong progress.

I don't think $400 constitute a high end console as that price is normal for new home consoles from Sony & MS.

Progress? Didn't Sony sold more in the entire 2016 in the US making the gap bigger even by a small amount?

Is that what you call progress?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Those Pro numbers are...whoa.

So people werent waiting for the Pro. Xbox One was winning those months legit.

But those low Pro numbers don't bode well for Scorpio.
I take it some of yall assume that if there was no Pro, Xbox would have won Dec?

Interesting.

Progress? Didn't Sony sold more in the entire 2016 in the US making the gap bigger even by a small amount?

Is that what you call progress?

what do you call progress?
you have a race.
1st round you get beaten by 10 seconds
2nd round you get beaten by 7 seconds
3rd round you get beaten by 3 seconds
4th round you get beaten by 1 second
5th round you beat the guy in front of you by 2 seconds
[...]

THAT is the definition of progress or closing the gap

cakely

I've been a freelance games journalist for four years, and a consultant for almost two (I get the dates messed up from time to time).

Man I hope no one's paid you to estimate the size of the US console market vs. the world console market.

I swear I've heard some remarks about them calling it Scorpio precisely because they don't want it to be seen as an Xbox One, but I'm not finding anything on google, so I'm either fuckin up my google fu or something else.

That's what gives you your "insider information"? Google?

Anticol

Banned
you have a race.
[...]

Well for once, being beaten again and selling less than last year worldwide is not my definition of progress, but ok.

Papacheeks

Banned
They said the exact opposite.

This is the definition of a mid-gen upgrade.

Why do you think they unveiled it as Project scorpio? Projects can shift and change as they develop, this might have developed into a restart for xbox hence the possibility of treating it like a new console and maybe having exclusive software for it for 2018.

I mean it's not out of the realm of possibilities. Especially after the luke warm reception of PS4 PRO they have time.

I mean what if they had 2 prototypes one with Jaguar CPU and one with a custom Ryzen chip or something from that architecture. They could make it work for 2018. I think they know how much is riding on this if it doesn't succeed it's going to be dark days for xbox until the next system.

So prolonging to 2018 is not out of the realm IMHO.

Well for once, being beaten again and selling less than last year worldwide is not my definition of progress, but ok.

wait

so when your child is trying to become an athlete. loses a race against a better person and the next try gets beaten by a lesser margin, you don't applaud your child because it does not make progress?
edit: because you clarified and "selling less than last year". well in that case both run a slower time, because of a different turf or other circumstances, but the margin still got smaller.

you are a horrible person

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
you have a race.
[...]

This analogy only works when the final results aren't cumulative.

In your example, it's still down by 19 seconds overall.

cakely

you have a race.
[...]

Except, the 5th lap never happened yet, so your guy is still losing ground, 21 seconds behind.

To put this in mathematical terms, if we're graphing the gap in total sales, the gap has always been increasing. The first derivative of the graph of that gap would be the rate that the gap in total sales is increasing by, and that's still completely in the positive range.

It took a new console launch, two SKUs, for PS4 to barely win lmao.

This thread is a treat to read. Especially that oneman dude, he's been shook.
Well... Microsoft offered better deals and spent more money than Sony in advertising (difference > $12 million), so it's really not that surprising.

This analogy only works when the final results aren't cumulative.

In your example, it's still down by 19 seconds overall.

yeah sure. never said the person is not behind anymore. but not 50 seconds behind.
and depending on the next 10 laps, that are left, the gap could close even fruther.
if you overtake the other? depends. on the lenght of the race and the seconds you lose, or win every round.

but again the question was, what is the definition of progress and closing the gap.
not what overtaking is, or if that will happen

Anticol

Banned
wait

so when your child is trying to become an athlete. loses a race against a better person and the next try gets beaten by a lesser margin, you don't applaud your child because it does not make progress?
edit: because you clarified and "selling less than last year". well in that case both run a slower time, because of a different turf or other circumstances, but the margin still got smaller.

you are a horrible person

M8 what is wrong with you, the margin is not smaller, the gap is wider even if they got beaten by less units, you have no skills in math or what?

Just to clarify, the gap is wider in the US and WW.

And calling me a horrible person? ok...

watdaeff4

Yep I only just realized it a few days ago too when someone brought it up in another thread.

It explains the recent increase in "insiders" lately.

When I discuss this, I'm truly seeking clarification as I keep seeing this sentiment stated over an over.

I thought he was only able to verify whether or not if they were a Sony-related insider due to his previous connections?

One of the reasons that I (maybe mistakenly) always thought this is that in general (obviously again could be incorrect), it seemed most of the people who had the "Bish-Checked" tag had some type of Sony connection, while posters like Stinkles (343i) and Tom Mahler (Moon Studios), and others like Matt, etc who were obviously insiders didn't have his stamp of approval.

Anticol

Banned
I've been a freelance games journalist for four years, and a consultant for almost two (I get the dates messed up from time to time).

You get paid to say only the US matters and the rest of the world is non existent? holy crap, good on you m8.

M8 what is wrong with you, the margin is not smaller, the gap is wider even if they got beaten by less units, you have no skills in math or what?

Just to clarify, the gap is wider in the US and WW.

And calling me a horrible person? ok...

i could ask you the same question
I did the math.

the gap at the end of June 2016 in the US was 14.5%
the gap at the end of December 2016 in the US is 10.5%

did you ever watched a formula 1 race, or something similar?

that calling you a "horrible person" was a joke. hope you didn't took it to offensive and personal.
thought that your child reference was obviously. why your child is doing something good and doing better and you don't appreciate it, than you're a horrible person ;)

Anticol

Banned
i could ask you the same question
I did the math.

the gap at the end of June 2016 in the US was 14.5%
the gap at the end of December 2016 in the US is 10.5%

did you ever watched a formula 1 race, or something similar?

M8, read my post again I said the the difference from last year (2015) to 2016 the gap is wider, you're talking about a semester in order to fit your narrative.

This thread is a treat to read. Especially that oneman dude, he's been shook.

I don't get it. You always come to these threads saying it's a treat when it's not highly positive news. Like you're above the behavior you're mocking...

I mean...look at the statement in bold and tell me that it isn't just as sad.

STEaMkb

Exactly the same thing can be said for 3/4 months that Xbox barely outsold the PS4. I don't recall Windows Central touting the meagre margin by which it won 3 of those months.

Nice to see both consoles competitive, it means Sony has someone always breathing down their necks and games have to really think about being multi-plat which can only help the PC versions as well (imo). There isn't anything good about Sony completely trouncing Microsoft to the point where devs only make games for PS4.

I think this E3 should be very interesting, feels like a time when both companies are going to lay out their vision for the next 4 years.

I don't get it. You always come to these threads say it's a treat when it's not highly positive news. Like you're above the behavior you're mocking...

I mean...look at the statement and bold and tell me that it isn't just as sad.

It's not just that, but he just goes "fuck it" and throws nuance out the window, not considering the circumstances that led to the results Windows Central has published.

EGM1966

Good numbers for both and XB1 up for holidays (although down overall I gather) while PS4 remains consistent but Christ some are of the comments are just insane in their lack in of understanding of consumer market.

Pro was never intended to take big chunk of sales ratio people: why do you think most effort was made for standard model in terms of advertising and bundles? The Pro is clearly intended to slowly gain momentum. It's sales are in line with launch profile next to slim, marketing focus and generation timeframe

It's too early to tell exactly how Scorpio will be positioned really and as they're trailing MS might react differently with it depending on how it launches.

cakely

I don't get it. You always come to these threads saying it's a treat when it's not highly positive news. Like you're above the behavior you're mocking...

I mean...look at the statement and bold and tell me that it isn't just as sad.

It's a pretty salty statement, yeah.

Anticol

Banned
Probably outsold the slim. Better graphics and 2 new console launches and all sony could do was tie.

So when MS beat Sony with the Xbone S by 10k units on one of those four months, it was a victory by MS having two the Xbone and the Xbone S. but now that Sony beat MS by almost 60k it is a tie.

Ok.

M8, read my post again I said the the difference from last year (2015) to 2016 the gap is wider, you're talking about a semester in order to fit your narrative.

I know and read your post

The gap at the end of 2015 was 1.3m and 11,5%
The gap at the end of 2016 is 1.65m and 10,5%

but the Ps4 2016 lead over Xb1 was basically contributed by just Q1 and a very big margin
Ps4 sold 962K
Xb1 sold 619K
The gap for that quarter was 343K or 55,5%

That is the total Ps4 lead over Xb1 for the full year of 2016

N.Domixis

Banned
Exactly the same thing can be said for 3/4 months that Xbox barely outsold the PS4. I don't recall Windows Central touting the meagre margin by which it won 3 of those months.

I agree, its pretty obvious whats going on here with this site suddenly posting numbers. Where were they the past 6 months?

Top Bottom