• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central Xbox Rumors Roundup

cdthree

https://m.windowscentral.com/what-does-next-gen-look-xbox-here-are-latest-rumors

"According to our sources, there are two consoles currently being prepped, aiming for a 2020 holiday debut — a cheaper "S"-style console, to succeed the Xbox One S, and a more beastly "X"-style console, to succeed the Xbox One X. The codename for the "S 2" seems to be "Lockhart," and the codename for the "X 2" seems to be "Anaconda," which may also be serving as a dev kit."

"We've been reporting on Microsoft's efforts surrounding Windows Core OSfor a while now, and it does appear that there's a gaming angle to the puzzle. We've heard from multiple places that the next-gen Xbox consoles will be fully compatible with everything on your current Xbox One consoles, including your OG Xbox and Xbox 360 library via backward compatibility. We've also heard that Microsoft is working on a new delivery method for games dubbed "Game Core," as part of Windows Core OS, which the Scarlett family will support when it's ready. It extends the work Redmond has been doing on UWP.
Game Core should make it easier for developers to build games that function not only on Xbox "Scarlett" consoles but also Windows 10 PCs, further reducing the amount of work studios need to do to get games running across both platforms. We'll hopefully hear more about Game Core either at GDC in early 2019, or a bit later at Microsoft's Build conference"

"We've heard that Microsoft has been working with accessory vendors like Razer and others to ensure that Xbox gaming on mobile is as streamlined an experience as possible, with a range of new accessories, and maybe even devices, that will take advantage of the mobile possibilities that Project xCloud will bring."

If Microsoft comes out of the gate swinging with games and they have two consoles while Sony only has one this is going to put Sony in a precarious position. Sony's system would obviously be $400-$500 while the spread on these two systems would probably be $300 and $500 respectively. I'd also wager that the lower end Xbox SKU would be comparable to Sony's console in terms of compute while being much cheaper and the higher end SKU would a considerable margin beyond it. I can't see Microsoft screwing around next-gen, I see them spending the right amount of money and getting any information they can to undermine Sony from day one.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

As someone greatly anticipating XCloud to go along with my X/Scarlet, I was tempted to buy a phone mount pre-emptively. I have been hoping that Microsoft was working on hardware to support it. I was thinking of a "standard" Xbox controller with built in phone mount, so that it serves dual purposes. I will impatiently wait and see what is to come.

cdthree

As someone greatly anticipating XCloud to go along with my X/Scarlet, I was tempted to buy a phone mount pre-emptively. I have been hoping that Microsoft was working on hardware to support it. I was thinking of a "standard" Xbox controller with built in phone mount, so that it serves dual purposes. I will impatiently wait and see what is to come.

It would be cool if they sold the controller shell and onboard slot where you could put micro/SD card in. Maybe throw in a cheap arm processor to run everything, pop in your phone and have your own xboy. Cheap Arm controller, plastic shell, maybe a 64gb SD card included, shouldn't be more than 50 bucks. Heck that's what Nintendo needs to do with the next 3ds. The screens are where the money is spent and since kids have their own phones you kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

pr0cs

That sound good. Cool to hear about the backwards compatibility, I hope they deliver it.
Seems pretty clear that BC on Microsoft platform going forward will be a given

Can't help but think that if they would have spent R&D dollars at the start of this gen on BC instead of the TV bullshit they would have sold much better out of the gate

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seems pretty clear that BC on Microsoft platform going forward will be a given

Can't help but think that if they would have spent R&D dollars at the start of this gen on BC instead of the TV bullshit they would have sold much better out of the gate
If they had BC to start, and didn't bother with all the Kinect and tv stuff, and simply released a system (less powerful than PS4) for the same $400 right off the bat with no weird used disc policy rumours or anything, this gen would be a lot closer.

Oh well. That's what happens when you jam down too much stuff for too high a price. Sony did the same for PS3 at $600. On paper, it's actually a great deal.... you get a gaming system and a BR player for $600. Standalone BR players were around $800-1,000 at the time.

But even then, gamers didn't care because the main focus was still gaming, not movie watching.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If 2020 brings out both a streaming box and a traditional console, I wonder how X's specs will compare to the streaming box's specs - aside from lack of optical drive.

TLZ

Banned
Good, good. I've been rooting for 2 consoles out the gate for years now. Give people choice from the start.

Reallink

This rumor seems to be suggesting they are planning 2 console specs, not an ultra low cost "streaming box". I hope they don't release some under powered 4 - 8 TF base model, cause that's inevitably the spec all games will target.

GreatnessRD

I hope the next Xbox is god-like.

Competition is great for us consumers. Hope they both have something worthy to offer.

sinnergy

It’s not that different from the Xbox 360 era, which also had 2 SKU’s and that worked out great! If you were already there gaming back then, (2005) you’ll remember.

People who wanted the complete package got the HDD version which was more expensive, the other buyers got the core model.

Means nothing for power, as I am sure the expensive version will be outclassing Sony in the power factor, they are on a war path, in that regard.

Engines will just tune back for the s version. You see the same now with Switch docked and undocked, scaling effects down or disabling them entirely.

Do it MS! I am more of a power guy, so I’ll get the more beastly version.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

https://www.windowscentral.com/what-does-next-gen-look-xbox-here-are-latest-rumors

According to our sources, there are two consoles currently being prepped, aiming for a 2020 holiday debut — a cheaper "S"-style console, to succeed the Xbox One S, and a more beastly "X"-style console, to succeed the Xbox One X. The codename for the "S 2" seems to be "Lockhart," and the codename for the "X 2" seems to be "Anaconda," which may also be serving as a dev kit.

The next-gen Lockhart console will be the affordable SKU, providing the next-gen Xbox experience in a package potentially around as powerful as the current Xbox One X hardware wise, with refinements under the hood. The Anaconda console will be more powerful and more expensive, providing a cutting-edge console gaming experience. We've also heard Microsoft is exploring technology to dramatically reduce loading times, potentially including SSD storage in the package.

It makes sense to have a cheaper model for those who don't want to spend much and a premium for those who want the best experience. I'd be wiling to pay 500 or 600 dollars for a premium model, as long it is powerful. I think it is better than having a mid generation refresh.

DonyDevitt

Neo Member
Well, makes sence. With this aproach they're going to get the hardcore and softcore in one generation.

What about the streaming console? Thought this "Lockhart" one was the console for streaming games.

Thiagosc777

Well, makes sence. With this aproach they're going to get the hardcore and softcore in one generation.

What about the streaming console? Thought this "Lockhart" one was the console for streaming games.

I think that's another one coming next year. These two are for 2020.

Elenchus

Banned
Would love to see 2 consoles released together. So tired of gamers complaining about being alienated because there is a better version of their console available.

Do they feel that way when they buy a Toyota Camry and get passed on the highway by a Lexus? Do they feel bad about their coach seats when they walk pass first class?

Whether it’s services or goods, every industry offers a premium option except gaming and it’s because of gamers’ fragile egos. Time for that idea to die.

I love my elite controller, 1X, and Pro. Provide consumers with options and let them choose. Please do this MS and hopefully Sony does the same.

splattered

If 2020 brings out both a streaming box and a traditional console, I wonder how X's specs will compare to the streaming box's specs - aside from lack of optical drive.

That's what I would like to know. Obviously I plan on getting the higher power machine but how would the specs of the xbox one x compare to the new entry level machine? Typically when the wife and I get a newer console our older ones become hand me downs to our kids. It would be nice if we could continue to do this and the X1X still stay relevant at least for a couple years forward. Prob wishful thinking though.

insanexer

I would be perfectly fine playing Halo Infinite on my One X. The machine is more than capable. The streaming xbox most likely wouldn't do much for me, and I would pass on the most powerful Xbox model unless it was clearly miles ahead of the One X.

Blam

If these rumors are true which they seem to be since it's been coming up many many times.

But if they are then Microsoft literally has 3 generations of games that launch immediately with your Lockhart/Anaconda console which is sorta huge since you can play everything you own.

Game core makes sense they've been working on UWP for what seems like ages to make it really a simple rebuild to get it working on the Xbox or on any device using UWP.

Last edited:
Sounds plausible.

So far my feeling is:

Fall 2019: Switch revision with larger screen, better battery life and bluetooth headphone support. Maybe a small bump to spec.
March 2020: PS5 release. One Sku. Plays all PS4 games and is backwards compatible with PS4toPS2 Classics and all digital PS1 games. PS3 through GamePass streaming only.
Fall 2020: Xbox Two releases. Three skus (X, S and streamboX). Backwards compatible with everything available currently on the Xbox One.

insanexer

Sounds plausible.

So far my feeling is:

Fall 2019: Switch revision with larger screen, better battery life and bluetooth headphone support. Maybe a small bump to spec.
March 2020: PS5 release. One Sku. Plays all PS4 games and is backwards compatible with PS4toPS2 Classics and all digital PS1 games. PS3 through GamePass streaming only.
Fall 2020: Xbox Two releases. Three skus (X, S and streamboX). Backwards compatible with everything available currently on the Xbox One.
No way they release 3 skus. The market is already confused enough as it is with xbox's naming system. For instance, I was in Costco this weekend and a couple in their 50s were looking at xbox for a family member. They had no idea which one to get or what the differences were. Add 3 more xbox's and you have an even more confusing situation.

TeamGhobad

Banned
this:

ZxNyiyo.jpg

sinnergy

I think you can handle confusion by price, 199 streaming box gets you entry level next gen Xbox games. 299 will get you hd next gen Xbox games, 399/499 will get you state of the art 4K /8K Cb HDR /atmos next gen games.

People who have less to spend have an option. Works with apple products, other mobile devices in today’s age.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Truly impressive work on the operating system area. Sony just can't compete there.

Because they don't have too. They have no operating system business running on millions of computers. So your post is not really relevant.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
If Microsoft comes out of the gate swinging with games and they have two consoles while Sony only has one this is going to put Sony in a precarious position. Sony's system would obviously be $400-$500 while the spread on these two systems would probably be $300 and $500 respectively. I'd also wager that the lower end Xbox SKU would be comparable to Sony's console in terms of compute while being much cheaper and the higher end SKU would a considerable margin beyond it. I can't see Microsoft screwing around next-gen, I see them spending the right amount of money and getting any information they can to undermine Sony from day one.

I would love to see how MS 300$ console could have same specs as Sonys 400-500 console, unless MS is willing to lose some big money on each unit.

If both (PS5 and X4) are 2020 then both will have similar specs, give or take 2GB of RAM and 1-2TF (it's marginal difference in 10+TF range).

I don't know what to think about streaming box, if it's just able to stream games it will have some weak ass specs, MS will make ton of money on each unit.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
This is the proper method moving forward, give people choices from the get go and don't wait 3 freakin' years to introduce a "premium" model.

Armorian

Banned
2 options IMO on what Lockhart is:

1. Ryzen based console (same CPU as Anaconda) but with ~4-5TF GPU that would allow 1080p versions of Anaconda games on it + 1080/60p streaming
2. Cheap ass mobile APU based streaming box wich will cost MS pennies to make but they will sell it for ~300$

Last edited:
I would love to see how MS 300$ console could have same specs as Sonys 400-500 console, unless MS is willing to lose some big money on each unit.

If both (PS5 and X4) are 2020 then both will have similar specs, give or take 2GB of RAM and 1-2TF (it's marginal difference in 10+TF range).

I don't know what to think about streaming box, if it's just able to stream games it will have some weak ass specs, MS will make ton of money on each unit.
Look at the Xbox 360, they took losses on those but it paid off massively in terms of adoption and software purchasing. Being a loss leader is sometimes the best way to drive a business forward, they make all of their money from software and services anyway so losing a bit on system hardware might be the best way to go. A few game purchases and the loss is recovered.

Dabaus

Banned
Sounds like Microsoft is trying to repeat the arcade and elite models back in the 360 days with a good amount of shit on the wall to see what sticks. Next gen will be hamstrung by Microsoft again it seems because the lock heart will be the lowest common denominator.

So 2 launch models?

Doesn't that mean holding back next gen games for the high end NextBox so they run on the base model?
Is the Xbox One holding back the Xbox One X? Absolutely not, this is a false-narrative. Also the difference between those two new systems would be smaller than the difference from the S to X.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Is the Xbox One holding back the Xbox One X? Absolutely not, this is a false-narrative.

The xbone is absolutely holding back the X1X. Games are made with the lowest common denominator in mind and that happens to be the xbone. Microsoft will be going 3 generations in a row of hamstring game development.

The xbone is absolutely holding back the X1X. Games are made with the lowest common denominator in mind and that happens to be the xbone. Microsoft will be going 3 generations in a row of hamstring game development.
No they're not, that's not how development works. They don't start at the low end and scale up, they start at the high end and scale back. This has been specifically addressed when speaking about the Xbox One X development kits.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is the Xbox One holding back the Xbox One X? Absolutely not, this is a false-narrative. Also the difference between those two new systems would be smaller than the difference from the S to X.

I dont know there is no narrative here on my part.

I was legit asking because I assume by your statement there are zero games that CAN run at 60 fps on the X but are held back to 30 fps because of the OG Xbox One.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So if Holiday 2020 is true, what the hell are we going to be playing for the next 2 years? Crackdown and Gears? I was truly hoping for a Holiday 2019 release with Halo and maybe a few unannounced titles.

Last edited:
I dont know there is no narrative here on my part.

I was legit asking because I assume by your statement there are zero games that CAN run at 60 fps on the X but are held back to 30 fps because of the OG Xbox One.
I don't mean you have an agenda, I just mean that way of thinking is a false narrative. A lot of people like to push it as if it's reality when the actual reality is game development works from the top end down.

The Xbox One X in terms of FPS is held back by the CPU just as the base system is. If you crammed a Ryzen 2 into both the Xbox One and X they would theorhetically run every game at 60 FPS. It's not a GPU issue, it's a CPU limitation.

Top Bottom