• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows PCs will have an AI photographic memory feature called “Recall,” which will take constant screenshots of everything you do

SJRB

Gold Member
The Edge browser already has a functionality where it takes screenshots of every site you visit.

Go to Settings -> Privacy, Search and Services -> scroll to the very bottom. The very last toggle is something like "Save website screenshots".

Disable that shit asap.

xrnzaaas

The Edge browser already has a functionality where it takes screenshots of every site you visit.

Go to Settings -> Privacy, Search and Services -> scroll to the very bottom. The very last toggle is something like "Save website screenshots".

Disable that shit asap.
To be fair going to privacy settings and turning off everything besides "mandatory telemetry" should be your first step when you perform the initial setup of anything from MS or all other big corpos. And make sure to double check after every big update, it may suddenly revert the settings to their (privacy-breaking) defaults.

winjer

Gold Member

Disable that shit asap.

There is an even better option. At least for people in the EU.

Settings -> Apps -> Installed Apps and then uninstall Edge.

Welp, time to be an exile and stay on w10 forever. Unless until someone makes a debloated (or in this case more privacy friendly) image, not moving forward. It's gonna be tough when steam drops support for w10, which I assume it's gonna be sooner than expected

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You can change the girl to the AI servers on the Jordan Peele meme
nervous k&p GIF by myLAB Box

Shin-Ra

It’s not only a privacy issue for the 99% of humans that don’t check or modify default settings but anyone that communicates with that 99% of default-enabled Recall-users.

Anything privately communicated, however well encrypted in transit, gets displayed on the Recall-user’s screen, screenshotted and converted to plain text. Doesn’t matter if you’re using a program specifically designed to not store records.

Power-users that specifically exclude apps from Recall screenshots are an even smaller minority than the users that check the feature exists at all. I wouldn’t trust that the exclusions work and continue to work for the lifetime of the Windows install.

An even slightly privacy-conscious Microsoft would have first rolled out a robust Recall-exclusion API. Any program or app, even sensitive features built into Windows when first triggered with Recall active, you’d be asked whether you want them to be auto screenshotted, before a single screenshot is captured. Auto exclusions for password managers, banking, non-Edge, non Chromium based web browsers would be properly thought out. But no.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

This is a nightmare.

It’s not only a privacy issue for the 99% of humans that don’t check or modify default settings but anyone that communicates with that 99% of default-enabled Recall-users.

Anything privately communicated, however well encrypted in transit, gets displayed on the Recall-user’s screen, screenshotted and converted to plain text. Doesn’t matter if you’re using a program specifically designed to not store records.

Power-users that specifically exclude apps from Recall screenshots are an even smaller minority than the users that check the feature exists at all. I wouldn’t trust that the exclusions work and continue to work for the lifetime of the Windows install.

An even slightly privacy-conscious Microsoft would have first rolled out a robust Recall-exclusion API. Any program or app, even sensitive features built into Windows when first triggered with Recall active, you’d be asked whether you want them to be auto screenshotted, before a single screenshot is captured. Auto exclusions for password managers, banking, non-Edge, non Chromium based web browsers would be properly thought out. But no.

Pretty much.

The damage a single compromised device can inflict on an organization has now multiplied tenfold.

ZoukGalaxy

Awesome, another intrusive "feature" nobody asked.

I hope someone will modify the "feature" to allow putting this GIF permanently when telemetry is sent to Microsoft servers.
mister rogers middle finger GIF
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

StereoVsn

https://doublepulsar.com/recall-ste...r-own-windows-pc-is-now-possible-da3e12e9465e full article, 😂 what a mess.

Is MS trying to comply with the new warrantless surveillance orders in advance :D?
Yeah, this is so insanely terribly implemented and just past the point where they had some major security breaches.

Enterprises and Gov customers are going to go ballistic at them. And let’s not even mention EU. What the hell are they thinking over there!? How the f did this get approved.

I am going to ask their reps next week to take some comments back. Our CISO and most of security team all were flabbergasted.

makaveli60

What‘s your problem with this folks? This is totally normal and somehow for your benefit and you are just a bunch of crazy tinfoil hatters anyway. 🤡

https://github.com/xaitax/TotalRecall

Q. The data is processed entirely locally on your laptop, right?

A. Yes! They made some smart decisions here, there’s a whole subsystem of Azure AI etc code that process on the edge.

Q. Cool, so hackers and malware can’t access it, right?

A. No, they can.

Q. If I delete an email/WhatsApp/Signal/Teams message, is it deleted from Recall?

A. No, it stays in the database indefinitely.

Q. Are auto deleting messages in messaging apps removed from Recall?

A. No, they’re scraped by Recall and available.

Q. But if a hacker gains access to run code on your PC, it’s already game over!

A. If you run something like an info stealer, at present they will automatically scrape things like credential stores. At scale, hackers scrape rather than touch every victim (because there are so many) and resell them in online marketplaces.

Recall enables threat actors to automate scraping everything you’ve ever looked at within seconds.

During testing this with an off the shelf infostealer, I used Microsoft Defender for Endpoint — which detected the off the shelve infostealer — but by the time the automated remediation kicked in (which took over ten minutes) my Recall data was already long gone.

Reaseru

These companies love to show their high morality in social media, but in reality, they are just "Gestapo Corp."

They love to put that rainbow logo during June but deep down they have no respect for anyone's rights.

Last edited:
What is it with Microsoft and spying on people? Even the kinect had a creepy vibe to it and they went out of their way to bundle it in and increase the cost of xbox one. They really wanted that camera and microphone in people's houses.

Hudo

PRISM wasn't enough.
I am still pissed that my government essentially just shrugged when they found out that the Americans bugged our chancellor's phone.

I think the US spying on other countries is as equally shitty as China or Russia spying on other countries.

Last edited:

Lillie

wouldn't just disabling 'Recall' once the update comes out be sufficient for completely turning it off or do you think windows will still do it in some minor degree?

The Fartist

Gold Member
Tracy Morgan Bullshit GIF by Team Coco

I'm mainly a Linux user, some MacOS for the occasional Adobe work, but still use Windows for gaming. I haven't really looked into gaming on Linux, I think the time is now. I'm really considering ditching Windows entirely after this.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am still pissed that my government essentially just shrugged when they found out that the Americans bugged our chancellor's phone.

I think the US spying on other countries is equally shitty as China or Russia spying on other countries.
Because it's bigger than country sovereignty. Most places are "owned."

Welp, time to be an exile and stay on w10 forever. Unless until someone makes a debloated (or in this case more privacy friendly) image, not moving forward. It's gonna be tough when steam drops support for w10, which I assume it's gonna be sooner than expected
w10 is terrible too and has spyware. the last good windows was windows 7.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Only after researchers went public with the extremely shaky safety of the system did they do this 180.

There's no way they didn't know how fucking bad it was but they went ahead with it anyway.

Sometimes you need to put something out in the public to see just how fucking despised it is.

Top Bottom