• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

toff74

I'd love to be able to to recommend Move,, as it's kinda fun. But the in app purchases are outrageously pricey, and I haven't found a way yet to earn hints elsewhere in the game. That kinda kills the motivation.

Also, Nokia finally announced that bluetooth headset thingy. http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-officially-announces-bh-121-bluetooth-headset

At 39€, I might take a look.

Whats the red handset in the move link? Is that the 1520? that looks niiice. I'm actually thinking of getting the missus one for chrimbo.. only it doesn't come in magenta (pink).

has anybody played chaos rings? Is it worth the 10$?

Added Facebook into lifelogger. Turns out that skydrive shouldn't be used as a dynamic source of information. The 'slowness' in downloading thumbnails previously in lifeLogger was (in part) due to SkyDrive's scenarios for usage. When I hooked in facebook, boom, photos and status updates were retrieved incredibly quickly and I was on my way in the app. Means I'll be heading into Certification pretty soon. Still some bug-fixes to be had, and some animations to tidy up. I'm also going to look at flickr integration as well, because if it's as easy as facebook was....it shouldn't take too long to add in. If anyone used my previous beta.....sorry. The current version is very nice :).

Kinda disappointed with these reports on the 1520's camera. Luckily, it sounds like a firmware issue, but you'd think Nokia would have this down by now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Kinda disappointed with these reports on the 1520's camera. Luckily, it sounds like a firmware issue, but you'd think Nokia would have this down by now.

It's weird, because there always seems to be some weird camera issue at the release of a new Nokia phone. They pretty much all needed a firmware update or two to fix something.

MCD

OK. We are getting Windows 8.2 or Threshold or whatever and still no significant WP8.1 news.

Frustrating.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is it bad that I want a 1520? I don't even think the size would bother me, its the camera and lack of OS modifications for large screen devices, outside of the start screen, that are holding me back.

Milchjon

Is it bad that I want a 1520? I don't even think the size would bother me, its the camera and lack of OS modifications for large screen devices, outside of the start screen, that are holding me back.

It's a lovely device and I've been one of its apologists, but it's not worth it. The three columns and inability to really use it one-handed for messaging and surfing makes it kinda useless. And unlike the camera of the 1020, nothing about it is a real difference maker if you already own a WP8 phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
3 columns is awesome, what the heck are you on? I use my phone two handed anyway, and I use text prediction and voice typing liberally, I won't have any issues day to day with this. Too bad about the camera, and the fact that the built in apps aren't optimized for the screen size.

The Galaxy Note 3 sold 10 million units in 2 months.

I wonder what sales Nokia are expecting for the 1520. It's probably going to do as bad as the 1020.

has anybody played chaos rings? Is it worth the 10$?

Added Facebook into lifelogger. Turns out that skydrive shouldn't be used as a dynamic source of information. The 'slowness' in downloading thumbnails previously in lifeLogger was (in part) due to SkyDrive's scenarios for usage. When I hooked in facebook, boom, photos and status updates were retrieved incredibly quickly and I was on my way in the app. Means I'll be heading into Certification pretty soon. Still some bug-fixes to be had, and some animations to tidy up. I'm also going to look at flickr integration as well, because if it's as easy as facebook was....it shouldn't take too long to add in. If anyone used my previous beta.....sorry. The current version is very nice :).

My son loves it but then again he's 16. I was watching him play the other day and it looks like it would be fun.

Milchjon

Nokia Conversations is down for me right now, so I can't check Guru's compatibility, but according to this site :

The site also reveals that the BH-121 supports advanced Bluetooth features like HFP/HSP and/or A2DP/AVRCP profiles, and is compatible with the following Nokia phones: the Lumia 1520, Lumia 1320, Lumia 1020, Lumia 925, Lumia 625, and Lumia 525, apart from the Asha 503 and Asha 501

I assume this has something to do with Bluetooth? Or did the site just confuse something there?

Nokia Conversations is down for me right now, so I can't check Guru's compatibility, but according to this site :

I assume this has something to do with Bluetooth? Or did the site just confuse something there?

Nokia Conversations said:
The BH-121 supports advanced Bluetooth features like HFP/HSP and/or A2DP/AVRCP profiles. That includes the Nokia Lumia 1520, Lumia 1320, Lumia 1020, Lumia 925, 625, 525, and the Asha 503 and Asha 501 (without the Live tile support) and many more.

It supports anything, basically. As long as the Bluetooth device has the right profiles, it should be able to make use of it.

Threadworthy:

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

I don't totally understand why they'd fork it though.

Oh God, the schadenfreude when this phone far outsells the Lumias....

When does that exclusivity contract expire? If its after the deal closes then this product is as good as dead. If its before the contract expires, then this thing could potentially make it to market.

Milchjon

When does that exclusivity contract expire? If its after the deal closes then this product is as good as dead. If its before the contract expires, then this thing could potentially make it to market.

Imagine them selling an Android device, it being a moderate hit, and MS killing any possible successor.

Oh, the debates will feed phone-GAF for years.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Eww, a low end android phone from Nokia. I want a 1020 equivalent with bleeding edge internals, give me something to think about. Might be the only way to get me to buy an android phone.

Threadworthy:

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

I don't totally understand why they'd fork it though.

Oh God, the schadenfreude when this phone far outsells the Lumias....
we all knew MS buying Nokia's handset division was to prevent Nokia from producing an Android phone but seeing the actual phone... Wow, I'm sure MS looked at the Normandy as the beginning of the end of their mobile efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom