• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
we all knew MS buying Nokia's handset division was to prevent Nokia from producing an Android phone but seeing the actual phone... Wow, I'm sure MS looked at the Normandy as the beginning of the end of their mobile efforts.

Assuming this sale goes through, I'm hopeful to see the things we can concoct together. There will be a lot of NOK employees joining MS.

hwalker84

http://wmpoweruser.com/zauba-delivers-again-reveals-high-end-5-2-inch-lumia/

Its seems Indian importation tracking site Zauba.com is a gift that keeps on giving.

After revealing unannounced high end Samsung and low end Nokia handsets, it has now also revealed a new high end Lumia, with product code RM-964.

The handset has a quoted value of INR 34,524 ($560) which places it in the same league as the Nokia Lumia 1520 and 1020, suggesting similar advances specs such as a 1080P screen.

NPU suggests this may be the aluminium-clad phablet-type device which was leaked many months ago, but with so many phablets coming and going we will have to wait a bit longer for more confirmation.

What is certainly certain is that Nokia’s device pipeline has not been put on hold pending the merger, and we will be seeing many more new Windows Phones in the next year.

Thanks Lochu for the tip.
Please be the 1020 successor!!!

hadareud

The Translator
Now that I thought about it, that "forked Android" Nokia phone sounds like complete bullshit to me.

I think rather than a forked version of Android like Amazon are doing it's more likely to be Asha that can run "some" Android apps. Which is what the article said. Whether the approach is similar to say BB10 or something else, we don't know.

Anyway, it won't see the light of day either way.

Please be the 1020 successor!!!

Sounds like a 925 style 1520 to me.

I'd be shocked if there was a 1020 successor before the second half of 2014.

hwalker84

Now that I thought about it, that "forked Android" Nokia phone sounds like complete bullshit to me.

I think rather than a forked version of Android like Amazon are doing it's more likely to be Asha that can run "some" Android apps. Which is what the article said. Whether the approach is similar to say BB10 or something else, we don't know.

Anyway, it won't see the light of day either way.

Sounds like a 925 style 1520 to me.

I'd be shocked if there was a 1020 successor before the second half of 2014.
One can hope :) but yeah it's going to be hard for me to dump my 1020 for anything but it's successor. I think 5.2in is perfect.

I have a 920 now and think I could make do with a 5" 1080p phone. As much as I love the 1520, I can't justify 6" right now, at least with WP8 not doing much to take advantage of it ATM

Fox Mulder

I guess cause the new angry birds game released the same day as ios/android, but ditched xbox integration. Gameloft has also backed out with their recent releases.

Xbox features were neat, but if devs have an easier time getting apps in the store without the hassle, whatever.

Threadworthy:

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

I don't totally understand why they'd fork it though.

Oh God, the schadenfreude when this phone far outsells the Lumias....

This is basically what they would've released if the MS deal fell through... I'd be surprised if they didn't just start moving the Asha stuff to WP or if they just continue making low end Lumia devices in the vein of the 520

ElNino

I guess cause the new angry birds game released the same day as ios/android, but ditched xbox integration. Gameloft has also backed out with their recent releases.

Xbox features were neat, but if devs have an easier time getting apps in the store without the hassle, whatever.
By features, I guess you mean Achievements because I don't remember any features of Xbox enabled games that were unique in any way. I honestly couldn't care less about Xbox games on WP (despite being an Xbox fan in general), and if going non-Xbox means we get games quicker (and cheaper) then I have no issues with it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
By features, I guess you mean Achievements because I don't remember any features of Xbox enabled games that were unique in any way. I honestly couldn't care less about Xbox games on WP (despite being an Xbox fan in general), and if going non-Xbox means we get games quicker (and cheaper) then I have no issues with it.

That's pretty much how I feel about it at this point.

So what's the update I got then?

There was an update to GDR3. Most likely just bug fixes.

PG2G

It's strange how the X1 indie stuff isn't carrying out to WP or W8. At least from looking at the recent developments.

Fuck whoever in charge of WP gaming section.

Too soon to say anything IMO. Xbox Live integration isn't even part of the standard SDK as far as I know. We should wait until 8.1 before assuming that stuff wont change.

Fox Mulder

it's not just achievements. There's leader board info based on your friends list as well, which had potential.

iOS has gamecenter, which has done a better job with all of this for years now. Kind of funny since Apple doesn't really give much of a shit about gaming.

ElNino

it's not just achievements. There's leader board info based on your friends list as well, which had potential.

iOS has gamecenter, which has done a better job with all of this for years now. Kind of funny since Apple doesn't really give much of a shit about gaming.
I think the leader board aspect of Xbox-enabled WP games is one of the worst parts because it only shows your friends list. At least with non-Xbox games you can see the leader boards for everyone.

Maybe if WP had the same share as iOS and every game had tons of people on my Friends list then it might be different, but as it stands now most games will only have a few people on my leader board at most. Wordament does it right since it doesn't rely on your Friends list in order to compare you against other people, but unfortunately most other games do.

Microsoft should've expanded the Peggle 2 exclusivity deal to WP.
Now that would have been interesting. To be honest, I'd probably rather play it on my phone anyway.

hadareud

The Translator
Since I left work

- my phone froze while listening to an audio book, I had to soft reset it while driving risking death in the process
- my Xbox didn't recognise me
- my surface 2 froze mid login

Microsoooooooft *shakes fist*

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Since I left work

- my phone froze while listening to an audio book, I had to soft reset it while driving risking death in the process
- my Xbox didn't recognise me
- my surface 2 froze mid login

Microsoooooooft *shakes fist*

My Xbox pretty much never recognizes me turning it on from stand-by, it asks me to sign in with a controller (waving at Kinect doesn't work). Not sure what's up with that since it signs me in fine from power saver every time. And if turning on from power-saver and I'm not in the room it signs me in fine when I get in front of Kinect.

DlICBmP.png

And that's why being on Windows Phone sucks.

freshair

I guess... but I've honestly never tried Spotify so I don't know what it does that I can't get on Xbox Music or Nokia Music/MixRadio.

Spotify Desktop vs Xbox Music desktop is essentially the same. Ad-supported a la carte music. But that's where the similarity ends.

Spotify mobile now lets you stream your playlists or an artist's discography (albeit in shuffle mode only) for free + ad support. Xbox music only has a premium (paid) option. Nokia music = Pandora (music similar to x artist minus ads).

Being able to download what I want and play it offline still makes Xbox Music invaluable to me.

You can do the same with spotify.

But the fact that their WP app is not parity with iOS/Android makes the experience frustrating.

ElNino

Spotify Desktop vs Xbox Music desktop is essentially the same. Ad-supported a la carte music. But that's where the similarity ends.

Spotify mobile now lets you stream your playlists or an artist's discography (albeit in shuffle mode only) for free + ad support. Xbox music only has a premium (paid) option. Nokia music = Pandora (music similar to x artist minus ads).
Okay, sounds like a good service... but since I have an Xbox Music sub into 2017 (thanks Nokia/Virgin Mobile) I'll stick with that for now.

I agree though that it sucks that the WP version is not on par here.

You can do the same with spotify.

But the fact that their WP app is not parity with iOS/Android makes the experience frustrating.
Not sure why Xbox Music itself doesn't feature parity across the platforms it's on. I can stream ad-supported music on windows 8, but I have to have the premium subscription to stream music on WP or Xbox.

Similarly, I can stream my cloud synced collection of music from any windows 8 device yet I can't do it with my phone (that does work on Xbox One).

It is annoying when devs say any device they really just mean iOS and Android

To be fair, iOS and Android is pretty much "any device".

And until two months ago, Xbox Music wasn't even platform agnostic and it still doesn't have an iOS tablet app. Spotify blows that shit Xbox Music app on my iPad out of the water.

To be fair, iOS and Android is pretty much "any device".

And until two months ago, Xbox Music wasn't even platform agnostic and it still doesn't have an iOS tablet app. Spotify blows that shit Xbox Music app on my iPad out of the water.

it's a far better desktop app than Spotify is. For my use-cases now, that's more important than ever. Xbox Music should definitely make really solid android and iOS apps if they want to be taken seriously, however.

it's a far better desktop app than Spotify is. For my use-cases now, that's more important than ever. Xbox Music should definitely make really solid android and iOS apps if they want to be taken seriously, however.

Spotify has a Win32 desktop app, whereas Xbox Music got only the Windows Store app for Windows 8 users and a web app for the rest.

Spotify wins again. But only, because Microsoft chose not to rebrand the Zune desktop client.

hadareud

The Translator
I've given Spotify a go twice, 2 months each time. Once on Android, once on WP.

I really don't like it at all. As inferior as Xbox Music is to Zune, I still prefer it over Spotify.

Milchjon

It's weird, but for some reason I much prefer the Xbox Music web player to Spotify on my desktop.

Have listened to maybe 10 songs on Spotify since Xbox Music started free streaming on the web, even though I used it a lot before that. It's much too cluttered with secondary features that I never use.

I've given Spotify a go twice, 2 months each time. Once on Android, once on WP.

I really don't like it at all. As inferior as Xbox Music is to Zune, I still prefer it over Spotify.

I only switched from Spotify to Xbox Music, because I still have some free Zune Pass codes. I really didn't notice any difference for me.

Music wise they're pretty much identical for me, but I just don't like their apps.

Ah, okay. So it's really just personal preference. I get that. The Windows Phone app of Spotify is beyond terrible and is probably a whole year behind, feature-wise. I'm not even exaggerating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom