• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Battleship Yamato 1

This is a product of its time, and not in a good way. It's corny, the editing is awkward, the battle scenes lack any sort of tension or energy, and the tone was off due to out-of-place attempts at humor and a problematic soundtrack. Beyond laying out the basic premise of the imminent extinction of humanity, it doesn't too much to get me invested in the story. On the plus side, there's some nice ship animation, the design of the main female character is attractive, and the sunken Yamato is an iconic image:

O5oXV.jpg

Soma

Kare Kano Episode 21

I thought this was a pretty good episode for the most part.

From the chase scene:

tumblr_lv0x477uCu1qdippyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lv0x0wKvuv1qdippyo1_500.gif

To the encounters between Tonami and Tsubaki:

tumblr_lv0xxoEuOb1qdippyo1_500.gif

To the mutual undertstanding between Tonami and Yukino:

tumblr_lv0ydiTqE41qdippyo1_500.jpg

And poor Arima feels all left out:

tumblr_lv0ym288Nb1qdippyo1_500.gif

I don't think the show feels like it's gone down in quality all that much. I'm still enjoying it (so far) but yeah I do feel like there's... something missing that the earlier episodes had.

ALSO YUKINO WHY ARE YOU SO ADORABLE

tumblr_luza32EsV41qdippyo1_1280.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Gunbuster has awkward 80s anime story tropes

Diebuster has moeshit and awful yukari fukui VA garbage trash of the ass

Both have their faults, but a work without Yukari Fukui will always win out over something with her

Dead

well not really...yet
Sometimes when I want to get really angry I imagine what one of my favorite shows would be like if Yukari Fukui voiced the lead. Like, maybe Escaflowne.

Well, I don't actually do that, but I just did, and it sorta made me convulse violently...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mouretsu Pirates 08:

And suddenly, USAGI.

Deju2.jpg

Welp, you're in Bodacious Space Pirates world now, so at least try to make the best of it and be a good character; not a cheap plot device.

Cwarrior

I wish so much that I could experience Arabasta for the first time again. Enjoy the ride
and then set your sights lower for Skypiea

Skypiea(one of my fav) is lot more awesome and hilarious then arabasta with it being my least favroite but still great.

anime arc rank

Water 7
Skypiea
Thriller park/shabondy
Impel down/Marine ford

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Inu x Boku 07:

Not as much hnnnng as prior episodes, but a few hnnnng moments here and there kept me going through. Karuta continues to be hnnngtastic, and Ririchiyo continues to be tsundere extraordinaire with regards to Shoushi. Artwork remains cute and lovely.

The ED was really nice this time though. ^_^

Oh yes, that ending! :firehawk

The ending sequence at the festival was one of my favorite moments in the entire show, both seasons.
Using a lovely metaphor of Azu-nyan being dragged by Yui as they rush to see the fireworks, only to be separated by the crowd really drove home visually how she's soon going to be separated from her senpais against her will. Made me get a little pre-tear at the corner of my eye. ;_; Poor poor Azu-nyan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Skypiea(one of my fav) is lot more awesome and hilarious then arabasta with it being my least favroite but still great.

Now, I think that the Jaya arc, the
Shandia
flashbacks and the ending of Skypiea are up to par with the rest of the series, but everything else often borders on boring. Of course, I'm not saying that there's no valid reason to think that Skypiea is good or even great, I just happen to generally prefer the important arcs to the exploration arcs.

For the record, I rank OP's arcs as follows:

Water 7 > Arabasta > Arlong Park > Enies Lobby > Marineford > Sabaody Archipelago > Thriller Bark > Drum Kingdom > Punk Hazard (so far) > Impel Down > Skypiea > other East Blue arcs > everything between the end of Marineford and beginning of Fishman Island > Little Garden > Amazon Lily > Fishman Island > Davy Back Fight

wonzo

Banned
Nisemonogatari 8

This is a garbage show for garbage people.

It's too late for me to stop now.
The courage to keep on going.

Oh yes, that ending! :firehawk
The ending sequence at the festival was one of my favorite moments in the entire show, both seasons.
Using a lovely metaphor of Azu-nyan being dragged by Yui as they rush to see the fireworks, only to be separated by the crowd really drove home visually how she's soon going to be separated from her senpais against her will. Made me get a little pre-tear at the corner of my eye. ;_; Poor poor Azu-nyan.
Yeah, I'm getting a little teary-eyed just dwelling on it. ;_;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This shit needs to be framed in an art gallery somewhere!
You know.

This is not a pretty bad.

Imagine a Museum of GIFs.

It can be like the Post-MoMA MoMA.

How do I patent this idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom