• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

I recently started watching Hajime No Ippo, about 12 episodes in so far. I saw there are 2 movies, when in the series should I watch these? I know there's a second season, do they take place during that break?

in this order

hajime no ippo >ippo movie champions road >ippo kimura ova > hajime no ippo: new Challenger(thats season 2).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
lol, Seiya chick's breastplate isn't even attached in the middle. It's more like a metal vest. I'm no enemy of the inverse correlation between protection and amount of skin covered for anime girl armor, but that's still laughable.

wonzo

Banned
Poyopoyo 11

poyo11.jpg

I've got a feeling the next episode's the last. Don't go roundcat :(

cajunator

Banned
lol, Seiya chick's breastplate isn't even attached in the middle. It's more like a metal vest. I'm no enemy of the inverse correlation between protection and amount of skin covered for anime girl armor, but that's still laughable.

Hence why I said its a bad design. It looks so random and ridiculous.

Narag

Black★Rock Shooter TV 7

A good episode? What? Sure the infodump was a bit heavyhanded but answers were night, the Otherworld fight scene was awesome, and I really liked the black and white flashback regarding
Yu & strength
. I'm excited for the last episode now. How could this have happened?

G GUndam 26

I knew a new OP was coming but I'm glad I didn't get Century Color'd all over again. And only in G Gundam would the pilot of the Zeus Gundam looks like a depiction of Hercules. Frankly I'm shocked Domon had any sort of confidence issues after the events in the Guyana Highlands. This is becoming one of my favorite tracks from this show. I'm still surprised just how varied the soundtrack is.

Shin Mazinger Z 16

Another new OP? I'm uncomfortable as I'm resistant to change. I fear for Ashura after his appearance in it. Hell everything about that OP seemed spoilerific. Loved the manga pages featuring Ashura during his speech too.
Kedora possessing Mazinger wasn't expected but led to something awesome.

Liked these shots.

Blood+ 2-3

I'm liking this so far although I can't see how they stretch it out 50 eps.
Will be upset if George is dead.

Violinist of Hamelin 3

Well well, Hamel isn't so unique after all. Seeing both them use their power frivolously was interesting. They're the good guys but just how good?

Infinite Stratos 9

Good lord the swimsuit store was a jarring scene what with the mannequins. My only consolation is it was only half a beach episode rather than a full one. Well that and Pika-tan.

Sailor Moon R 65

Minako with the real talk. Scratch that, Chibi-Usa with the real talk. I'll echo my sentiment of wishing they had more focused eps on one or two of the cast members but I suppose Usagi/Mamoru/Chibi-Usa is the main thread so it is necessary to show up every time.

Ozuma 1

This is the kind of thing that should have instantly grabbed me. Maybe I was put off by how, well, whimsical it felt towards the middle or so but I'm rather indifferent right now. Love the Matsumoto character designs and the setting but neither characters nor what little story was presented so far caught my attention. There's something that bothers me about Sam & Mimay too as if they have adult heads on children's bodies.

Ah My Goddess: The Adventures of the Mini-Goddess 31-36
Heh, enter the Ninja Masters.
I do like it when they use more characters instead of rats, so this was a welcome addition. I also liked Urd's idea of using a shark bait that actively hunts fish for fishing. I am slowly getting worn down by this show, and I am barely cracked halfway through all the AMG! I have to watch.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I love that "jitter" in the frames. They should just add that in on purpose so today's anime doesn't look so lifeless and dull.

Let's just go back to cel animation.

Intentional jitter would just be shaky cam, which I almost universally hate :(

cajunator

Banned
If you love that jitter, you need to watch all of the 90s Gainax shows

I do have a bunch of 90's Gainax shows.
They do have a lot of jitter. It's a pretty subtle thing and not intentional, but its just something I always found charming about older anime. I guess it gives more of that "handmade" feel to the whole thing because its imperfect. You can tell that some passion and effort was given into making it. Not that some of today's anime isn't lovingly made, but it just feels stale a lot of times. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I always thought it was from the cels not perfectly lining up with each other when drawn and put together?
It's the gate weave. If that was the case then why does it still happen when the frames are still? :p

Plus, digital is (mostly!) still hand drawn and as such doesn't line up perfectly either.

cajunator

Banned
I dunno, but I like it. It is kind of nostalgic.
Maybe it's just that sort of washed out dirty look of old anime that I like.
There's just something about it that's really interesting.

I do have a bunch of 90's Gainax shows.
They do have a lot of jitter. It's a pretty subtle thing and not intentional, but its just something I always found charming about older anime. I guess it gives more of that "handmade" feel to the whole thing because its imperfect. You can tell that some passion and effort was given into making it. Not that some of today's anime isn't lovingly made, but it just feels stale a lot of times. Maybe I'm just crazy.
Nah, that doesn't make you crazy.
I approve!
It doesn't honestly look bad to me. With Stellvia it was pretty obvious, but with Utena it doesn't look that off.
This does, though.

That reminds me, one fansub group is trying to remove/lessen the jitter from some Blu-ray releases of older anime. They've only done it to two movies so far. It's an interesting idea, though I don't know how good of a job they've done. Have the anime studios been doing that lately? The only one I know for sure is Evangelion, but that was years ago, not perfect, and on DVD.

That scene is in the game. If you
throw him in the TV, the fog covers Inaba, and you get the bad end. The cast leaves the hospital, Nanako stays dead, and it fast forwards to March/April (I don't remember which), when Yu leaves the town by train.
Oh, I know
it happens in the bad end
. But if you
take the good end path, Brotag doesn't lose his cool, right
?

cajunator

Banned
Fate Zero has some pretty beast action scenes.
Toriko is a lot of fun too with the over the top hunting gigantic creatures and shit.
Great stuff.

Ozma 1:
That was a pretty intriguing first episode. The characters are well defined, and I feel like I know a good amount about the world and their conflict right from the start. For a first episode, it had pretty much everything I could ask for, and I'm really curious to see where things go from here.

frostbyte

Blood+ 2-3

I'm liking this so far although I can't see how they stretch it out 50 eps.
Will be upset if George is dead.

I don't think I'm spoiling any plot related stuff to Blood+ but just to be careful.

All I can say is that I was disappointed at how potential this had. I genuinely tried to like it but it just wouldn't cut it for me. Not to mention it felt quite dragged out. Only saving grace is the music. Mark Mancina, Hans Zimmer <3 and the OP/EDs weren't bad either.

Especially disappointing to me because how thoroughly I enjoyed Blood: The Last Vampire. I felt that was just a tiny sliver of the Blood universe that could be expanded so much. I haven't watched Blood-C but, from what I've heard, it's not great. Is this true?

Anyway, watched some Ghibli movies in my backlog.

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Charming but ultimately shallow.

The animation was top-notch as usual. I loved the start where the vibrant colours of the sea contrasted so well.
Also at the part with the tsunami up the cliff, the waves were animated so smoothly and fluidly. Just astounding. Ponyo's transformation was interesting as well.

The plot was felt kind of clunky in general. It started out okay but the characters just acted so unbelievable in the last half. I think there was more suspension of disbelief than any other Ghibli film I've ever watched. Obviously, the plot was derived from The Little Mermaid but I felt the ending felt so contrived and unpolished. I also felt the themes in this movie was more unfocused than the usual Ghibli movie. I don't like to use the word kiddy but I think this is what this film felt like to me. Maybe I'm just too bitter and jaded but this has to be the worst Ghibli movie for me.

The Borrowers Arrietty

A substantial improvement compared to Ponyo.

The animation was mind-blowingly well done with respect to the minute details throughout the house, both Shou's and Arrietty. Every bit of detail to how Arrietty and her family traversed throughout the house and the tools they used brought a sense of curiosity and immersion. Fascinating how creative Ghibli can be in conceiving this world through every small detail and element.

The plot and characterization were believable and engaging. The conflict between Borrowers and humans were tangible and every moment Shou and Arrietty met brought genuine character development and an insight to how their world was like. Since the characters were especially relatable, the theme was more than a subtle nudge against how xenophobic our own world can be sometimes. Ironically, this could be one of my favourite Ghibli movies ever.

sonicmj1

Hix, watch all the Utena you want, just don't share your pictures with us.

Nichibros 2

I have a hard time saying much about this show, or shows like it. Sometimes it's funny. Sometimes it isn't. This episode wasn't as funny as the last one, but I still had a good time watching it.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not spoiling any plot related stuff to Blood+ but just to be careful.

All I can say is that I was disappointed at how potential this had. I genuinely tried to like it but it just wouldn't cut it for me. Not to mention it felt quite dragged out. Only saving grace is the music. Mark Mancina, Hans Zimmer <3 and the OP/EDs weren't bad either.

Especially disappointing to me because how thoroughly I enjoyed Blood: The Last Vampire. I felt that was just a tiny sliver of the Blood universe that could be expanded so much. I haven't watched Blood-C but, from what I've heard, it's not great. Is this true?

Anyway, watched some Ghibli movies in my backlog.

The animation was top-notch as usual. I loved the start where the vibrant colours of the sea contrasted so well.
Also at the part with the tsunami up the cliff, the waves were animated so smoothly and fluidly. Just astounding. Ponyo's transformation was interesting as well.

The plot was felt kind of clunky in general. It started out okay but the characters just acted so unbelievable in the last half. I think there was more suspension of disbelief than any other Ghibli film I've ever watched. Obviously, the plot was derived from The Little Mermaid but I felt the ending felt so contrived and unpolished. I also felt the themes in this movie was more unfocused than the usual Ghibli movie. I don't like to use the word kiddy but I think this is what this film felt like to me. Maybe I'm just too bitter and jaded but this has to be the worst Ghibli movie for me.

The Borrowers Arrietty

A substantial improvement compared to Ponyo.

The animation was mind-blowingly well done with respect to the minute details throughout the house, both Shou's and Arrietty. Every bit of detail to how Arrietty and her family traversed throughout the house and the tools they used brought a sense of curiosity and immersion. Fascinating how creative Ghibli can be in conceiving this world through every small detail and element.

The plot and characterization were believable and engaging. The conflict between Borrowers and humans were tangible and every moment Shou and Arrietty met brought genuine character development and an insight to how their world was like. Since the characters were especially relatable, the theme was more than a subtle nudge against how xenophobic our own world can be sometimes. Ironically, this could be one of my favourite Ghibli movies ever.

I must admit that I enjoyed Arrietty the Borrower much more than Ponyo although Ponyo is really really cute. Arrietty is more satisfying as a movie, although for me Princess Mononoke is still my favorite Ghibli film.

Fate Zero has some pretty beast action scenes.
Toriko is a lot of fun too with the over the top hunting gigantic creatures and shit.
Great stuff.

What action scenes? I only remember like three in the first half. Perhaps my quota for action is too high, but Im hoping the lack of action will yield non stop action second half.

Not really the first anime Id associate with action.

frostbyte

I must admit that I enjoyed Arrietty the Borrower much more than Ponyo although Ponyo is really really cute. Arrietty is more satisfying as a movie, although for me Princess Mononoke is still my favorite Ghibli film.

Haven't watched Princess Mononoke yet. Should I bump it up to must watch soon in my backlog?

What action scenes? I only remember like three in the first half. Perhaps my quota for action is too high, but Im hoping the lack of action will yield non stop action second half.

I take it you're not a fan of the whole battle through words like
that episode in F/Z where Rider debates with Saber and Gilgamesh about what it means to be a king
?

Risette

A Good Citizen

Ponyo isn't a real movie though.

cajunator

Banned

pickings are slim lately. Unless maybe we could include crazy Karuta action!

Haven't watched Princess Mononoke yet. Should I bump it up to must watch soon in my backlog?

Hell yes you should.

If you're looking for an expansion of the Blood universe, you will not be satisfied with Blood-C.

Haven't watched Howl's Moving Castle or Tales of Earthsea yet, I take it? (Don't.)

It is definitely a must-watch.

cajunator

Banned
If you're looking for an expansion of the Blood universe, you will not be satisfied with Blood-C.

Haven't watched Howl's Moving Castle or Tales of Earthsea yet, I take it? (Don't.)

Howl's Moving Castle isn't a bad movie, but I feel it was definitely weak in terms of the story. It otherwise keeps to the standards of Ghibli films and is a fun watch.

Howl's Moving Castle is hardly Miyazaki's best work, but it's a much stronger film than Ponyo overall. There's at least some manner of consistency there.

It's consistently a total mess, I'll give you that. Ponyo's plot was underdeveloped and the ending incredibly weak, but because it wasn't that ambitious to begin with it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth the way Howl's did.

frostbyte

Ponyo isn't a real movie though.

Sarcasm? or am I missing some kind of inside joke?

Hell yes you should.

Alright, I'll watch it next weekend.

I've read Howl's Moving Castle. I enjoyed it. Although I was like 12 then.

It's very entertaining.

To say the least.

What kind of entertaining?

I guess Blood-C isn't for me then...

cajunator

Banned
Sarcasm? or am I missing some kind of inside joke?

Alright, I'll watch it next weekend.

I've read Howl's Moving Castle. I enjoyed it. Although I was like 12 then.

What kind of entertaining?

I guess Blood-C isn't for me then...

Blood-C knows exactly what its doing. It throws a bunch of cuteness and an interesting story to reel viewers in, and then trolls the fuck out of them.

frostbyte

O: No, it was interesting to watch. What I mean by that is that Miya-san’s wild ideas are interesting to watch. The problem is that it wasn’t a real movie. It wasn’t put together like a proper movie. Not one bit.

Holy crap. That's kind of brutal. So true though.

Blood-C knows exactly what its doing. It throws a bunch of cuteness and an interesting story to reel viewers in, and then trolls the fuck out of them.

Sounds terrible. So terrible I might watch it for my latent love of Blood.

To be honest, I gave up on Blood-C once I heard CLAMP was involved.

It's consistently a total mess, I'll give you that. Ponyo's plot was underdeveloped and the ending incredibly weak, but because it wasn't that ambitious to begin with it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth the way Howl's did.

I'd take failed ambitions over not even trying. Ponyo can't decide whether it wants to be Nausicaa or Totoro and consequently fails at being anything other than a waste of time with tons of plot elements and characters that had no real point accept to fill time. Howl's Moving Castle at least had an identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom