• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

Eh, its about aligning expectations. The Jdramas that become popular in the West are mostly the idol vehicles and/or manga adaptations and those are poorly acted tripe. On the flip side there are also some godawful American dramas which are analogous to them.

You sound so pessimistic about jdramas. Don't forget to SMILE.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What is up with these Guilty Crown reactions? Is the last episode that good and suddenly changed everyone's minds?

Hm, no. It was ridiculously bad, just like the rest of the show.

There are sane negative impressions all over the last few pages.

You can't read one guy's opinion and assume "everyone's minds" changed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eh, its about aligning expectations. The Jdramas that become popular in the West are mostly the idol vehicles and/or manga adaptations and those are poorly acted tripe. On the flip side there are also some godawful American dramas which are analogous to them.
American TV is mostly 90% shit as well, really. Even HBO produces shit that no one watches (Hung, John from Cincinnati, Big Love).

Noirulus

Hm, no. It was ridiculously bad, just like the rest of the show.

There are sane negative impressions all over the last few pages.

You can't read one guy's opinion and assume "everyone's minds" changed.

Ah, okay, I missed that. Saw Dedication's and cosmic's impressions and had a big question mark over my head.

7Th

I like that we're all so used to Black Rock Shooter's abuse so far that we didn't even comment on how the otherworld never made any sense and all of the rules were arbitrary or unexplained all the way up until the end.

The combined collective feelings of suffering of little girls
isn't good enough for you?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
But in regards to Jdramas you never get anything anywhere near the quality of say Mad Men and Friday Night Lights.:p

duckroll

Black Rock Shitter TV series

Overall this was a total mess, both narratively and visually. Nothing was ever totally cohesive or logical, and whenever it attempted to make the audience care, it failed. The characters are a mess, the setting is a mess, the story is a mess. There is very little to like about this, other than the morbid curiosity in seeing a disaster in motion.

3/10

Uchip

Banned
Black Rock Shitter TV series

Overall this was a total mess, both narratively and visually. Nothing was ever totally cohesive or logical, and whenever it attempted to make the audience care, it failed. The characters are a mess, the setting is a mess, the story is a mess. There is very little to like about this, other than the morbid curiosity in seeing a disaster in motion.

3/10

Sounds like I made the right choice in stopped at episode 1

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just assume it's shit, based on reviewer impressions. I don't know how much of that is "this sucks because it's not Deadwood" though.
I'm pretty sure it's a huge part of it. I didn't have any attachment to Deadwood, so that probably made things a bit different for me.

duckroll

And you watch enough Jdramas to be able to say this, right?

I can say for a fact that he is absolutely right. Asian drama production in general has dire production values, and is filled with an industry supporting overacting to pander to older (read: retirement age) demographics.

survivor

Banned
I have been watching more Ano Natsu last few days and I can't say I like it as much as I thought I will. It definitely needs more DRAMA. Or more Lemon. Both options work.

Certainly. AnimeGAF reflects the superior opinion! :p

We always pale in comparison to MAL's opinions.

On the topic of Jdramas, what's their Breaking Bad? Cause I will watch that.

Branduil

American TV is mostly 90% shit as well, really. Even HBO produces shit that no one watches (Hung, John from Cincinnati, Big Love).

At least American TV usually has semi-competent production and direction, even on the low end. Asian drama rarely even gets past that low bar. Plus, idols don't know how to act.

duckroll

At least American TV usually has semi-competent production and direction, even on the low end. Asian drama rarely even gets past that low bar. Plus, idols don't know how to act.

I'll say "idols" are a limited problem when we're talking about the wider spectrum of drama serials. While some idols do get cast to try to inject popularity into a series, the majority of lead and supporting roles are played by actual actors and actresses who make their living solely being TV performers, and not idols or models.

But they still suck. Lol.

zeroshiki

I don't need to, to even know what I say is a fact! especially since those two shows are better than most anime anyway.:eek:

Err.. ok? Good for you.

I can say for a fact that he is absolutely right. Asian drama production in general has dire production values, and is filled with an industry supporting overacting to pander to older (read: retirement age) demographics.

Eh I don't deny that most of them are tripe and have poor production values but any blanket statement to that level is bound to be wrong. Taiga dramas have good interesting stories and have solid production values.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Eh I don't deny that most of them are tripe and have poor production values but any blanket statement to that level is bound to be wrong. Taiga dramas have good interesting stories and have solid production values.
I usually dislike blanket statements, but what I said is very very likely to be true; despite the fact it is still at it's core a blanket statement.:D

cajunator

Banned
Have you caught up on Boku X Inu yet?

Not yet. Currently into Space piracy and Nichibros.

Guilty Crown 22 - end
tumblr_m1b3y0TCAy1r9c51co2_r1_500.gif

Overall I would give the series a 10 / 10. Visuals, friendship and bonds, action and intensity, and the experience in sound and drama was unlike any other anime that Ive seen before. I liked how focused it was for its episode count that surprisingly didnt even leave me begging for more. Character designs were great and most were memorable. Intriguing and unique series that Im glad to have watched and am dying to experience it all again for the third time dubbed, hopefully in english.

Favorite character(s): Ouma Shu (one of my top protagonists), Yahiro, Souta, Daryl, Kenji, Daath(sp), Gai
Honorable mention: Dan Eagleman, Rowan

On 22
Explosive, epic, intense and I had my volume so high it was immersive. Everything was a flurry of explosions, the stylish void accents, and colors.
Daryl was pretty cool and the moment with him and Rowan in the elevator made me cry. That was really touching and the way he looked, made it even more heart wrenching. Shu was pretty epic and that moment with Inori was really cool. The ending itself was shocking and nothing I expected. The savior of the world and death of Inori, wow. Not to mention even taking her blindness! They really wanted to eliminate all chances of a sequel and deliver something that people could have predicted. The song that went through the ending was nice as well as when Inori sang.

Trolling must be more subtle. This blatant disregard for taste really isnt believable.

So im afraid to ask... but is second half of Guilty Gea---Crown worth a watch?

But wait... I completely forgot about what happened in the first half... which means I need to rewatch that.

My god.

From what i hear, its not worth the pain.

duckroll

Not most, all. Even the best produced Asian TV series pales in comparison with a mid-tier western TV series in terms of production value. This is fact. It's not wrong when there is a factual reality supporting it. It might be true that NHK spends more on average for their "big" productions than the average JAPANESE drama series. But that's insignificant when we're comparing it to the scale of how western TV shows are produced. You might not like to compare it that way, but when it is being compared that way you cannot deny it.

Let's put it this way, I can also factually say that the average episode of a network TV show in the US (stuff like Prison Break and Lost for example) not even considering channels like HBO and Showtime, has higher production values than the majority of all theatrical films produced in Asia. This is just how it is. The stable of actors they can draw from are much more experienced and better trained, the crew involved in the production of the shows both creatively and technically have more exposure in handling large scale expensive productions, and the you just have better people across all disciplines working on the production and creating a more professional and better looking result.

FACT. Hard truths.

Not yet. Currently into Space piracy and Nichibros.

Trolling must be more subtle. This blatant disregard for taste really isnt believable.

I dont know I liked it alot at the end of the day.

One Piece 104-107

Kind of wish the One Piece collection sets actually had their own type of menu and such instead of just being a new bland disc art on the cover and then then actual "season x voyage x" menu, pretty lazy. Believe sounds great dubbed, and Ms. All Sunday is one of my favorite voices in this anime.

This arc has been nice animated, and Ive gotten used to all of the english vas, they all just really connect well with the roles and each other. With everyone in Rainbase cant wait to see how the rest is animated as well as the arcs climax.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not most, all. Even the best produced Asian TV series pales in comparison with a mid-tier western TV series in terms of production value. This is fact. It's not wrong when there is a factual reality supporting it. It might be true that NHK spends more on average for their "big" productions than the average JAPANESE drama series. But that's insignificant when we're comparing it to the scale of how western TV shows are produced. You might not like to compare it that way, but when it is being compared that way you cannot deny it.

Let's put it this way, I can also factually say that the average episode of a network TV show in the US (stuff like Prison Break and Lost for example) not even considering channels like HBO and Showtime, has higher production values than the majority of all theatrical films produced in Asia. This is just how it is. The stable of actors they can draw from are much more experienced and better trained, the crew involved in the production of the shows both creatively and technically have more exposure in handling large scale expensive productions, and the you just have better people across all disciplines working on the production and creating a more professional and better looking result.

FACT. Hard truths.

It's not all about "on screen" production value though. I mean, the old John Woo films really do look like shit at times, but if that's all you're getting from them, you're doing it wrong.

It's not all about "on screen" production value though. I mean, the old John Woo films really do look like shit at times, but if that's all you're getting from them, you're doing it wrong.

If the visuals are mediocre and the acting is mediocre, what's left? Writing? Is there really a J-drama with good enough writing to save it?

duckroll

I would say when we're having a discussion about production value, it is going to be pretty much about that. Whether there is any value to shows with low production values is besides the point. The fact is that the most talented people in Asia are being held back by the poor standards of production values in the region. It is a factual blanket statement that is intended to critique the overall technical quality and limitations of an industry, as opposed to making a value judgement on specific individual works.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not really a huge jdrama guy myself but I thought Nobuta was really, really good. One of the few that I only not regretted watching but actually really thoroughly enjoyed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the visuals are mediocre and the acting is mediocre, what's left? Is there really a J-drama with good enough writing to save that?
Well, like zero said, I've only seen idol vehicles in Japanese and Chinese, so I have no idea. But you wouldn't judge American TV based solely on Hannah Montana, would you?

But if you look at the film side of the industry, it's clear that they have talented actors and directors though. Unless Asian film people look down on TV and want nothing to do with it, there has to be some crossover on some level - even if it's just a matter of TV producers being inspired by the film producers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would say when we're having a discussion about production value, it is going to be pretty much about that. Whether there is any value to shows with low production values is besides the point. The fact is that the most talented people in Asia are being held back by the poor standards of production values in the region. It is a factual blanket statement that is intended to critique the overall technical quality and limitations of an industry, as opposed to making a value judgement on specific individual works.
Having a five million dollar per episode budget isn't going to automatically make everything better either though, is my point.

Certainly, on the actor front, by virtue of just being English American TV has a much broader pool of actors to work with. It's not like you can get Cumberbatch to star in a Japanese TV version of Sherlock Holmes anyway.

(Although, I would pay Fate/Zero prices for that to happen)

duckroll

Having a five million dollar per episode budget isn't going to automatically make everything better either though, is my point.

Certainly, on the actor front, by virtue of just being English American TV has a much broader pool of actors to work with. It's not like you can get Cumberbatch to star in a Japanese TV version of Sherlock Holmes anyway.

(Although, I would pay Fate/Zero prices for that to happen)

But like I've already pointed out, it's not JUST about the money. It's about the nature of the industry. There is a reason why budgets are so high in America, and that's because the cost of production goes up as skilled individuals across all disciplines feel they deserve more for their talents. Certainly, you could take 5 million dollars per episode and squander it on hiring incompetent people who overcharge and under-deliver. But shows are not judged on the budget alone, but also on the results.

What I am saying is that Asian cinema is so far behind the curve that trying to compare Japanese TV productions with top-tier American TV programming is a folly. It shouldn't be done to begin with because there is no way it would match up at all. But since the comparison was made, there is no point trying to defend it with "well you haven't seen every single Japanese TV production!" because the reality is that it will never compare.

That's not to say Japanese TV sucks.
Just that most of it sucks.
But rather, if someone is coming in with expectations of Breaking Bad for example, you're better off not recommending Japanese TV in general to that person.

Branduil

Birdy the Mighty DECODE 9

Things just got real.

Shyamalan is taking creepy megalomania to new levels, LOL at the baby adoption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom