• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Black Rock Shooter 08 (END):

An underwhelmingly average end to a fucking horrendous series. I could barely be arsed to make actual mental effort to comprehend what was going on, but from what I gather, something about
guns and rainbows and shitty animu self-realizations metaphorically explained through that stupid bird parable and little girls seig heiling while wearing matching yuri pact bracelets
. The ending was so devoid of any actual substance that I really don't have much else to say beyond my attempted regurgitation of the plot. Show's over, folks; time to purge it from our collective memories.

cajunator

Banned
Black Rock Shooter 08 (END):

An underwhelmingly average end to a fucking horrendous series. I could barely be arsed to make actual mental effort to comprehend what was going on, but from what I gather, something about
guns and rainbows and shitty animu self-realizations metaphorically explained through that stupid bird parable and little girls seig heiling while wearing matching yuri pact bracelets
. The ending was so devoid of any actual substance that I really don't have much else to say beyond my attempted regurgitation of the plot. Show's over, folks; time to purge it from our collective memories.

Is it so bad its good, so bad its awful, or is it some unpleasant mix in between?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But like I've already pointed out, it's not JUST about the money. It's about the nature of the industry. There is a reason why budgets are so high in America, and that's because the cost of production goes up as skilled individuals across all disciplines feel they deserve more for their talents. Certainly, you could take 5 million dollars per episode and squander it on hiring incompetent people who overcharge and under-deliver. But shows are not judged on the budget alone, but also on the results.

What I am saying is that Asian cinema is so far behind the curve that trying to compare Japanese TV productions with top-tier American TV programming is a folly. It shouldn't be done to begin with because there is no way it would match up at all. But since the comparison was made, there is no point trying to defend it with "well you haven't seen every single Japanese TV production!" because the reality is that it will never compare.

That's not to say Japanese TV sucks.
Just that most of it sucks.
But rather, if someone is coming in with expectations of Breaking Bad for example, you're better off not recommending Japanese TV in general to that person.
I mean, I can really only talk about HK shows, but really they have dramedy-sitcoms that are about as "good" as Friends or any other banal American sitcom.

But sure, they're not really comparable. Heck, I think it's a bit weird when people talk about British TV and American TV in the same breath (with Downton being the latest example). The scales of production are so different that the only thing you can say about them that are similar is that they all in English.

My only point is that there can be good shows. It's just a matter of finding them if you care enough.

-----

Anyway, anime - Amagami SS 12 had more SEXY:
TAaSQl.jpg

And I must admit, I quite enjoyed the ending. When you already have a boring romantic comedy where the complications don't really matter, you might as well go big.

I still find it weird that the Japanese have
weddings in a Church
. Like... why? How many
churches
can there be in Japan in the first place?!

They're capping this series off with an all-girls episode next week. At this point, why the fuck not.

zeroshiki

That's not to say Japanese TV sucks.
Just that most of it sucks.
But rather, if someone is coming in with expectations of Breaking Bad for example, you're better off not recommending Japanese TV in general to that person.

I'm under no illusion that Japanese TV can hold a candle to American TV productiion value wise. What I take issue with is Lafiel making a statement like that despite most likely never having seen a Jdrama in his life.

JDramas excel with character stuff, the things that you don't need high budgets for.

Thoraxes

Anyway, anime - Amagami SS 12 had more SEXY:
TAaSQl.jpg

And I must admit, I quite enjoyed the ending. When you already have a boring romantic comedy where the complications don't really matter, you might as well go big.

I still find it weird that the Japanese have
weddings in a Church
. Like... why? How many
churches
can there be in Japan in the first place?!

They're capping this series off with an all-girls episode next week. At this point, why the fuck not.
Once Commodore Perry opened up the country in like 1853 or so they started bringing that stuff over and missions and stuff. I don't think it's that large a denomination, but there's a presence there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is it so bad its good, so bad its awful, or is it some unpleasant mix in between?

Very, very firmly in the so bad it's awful category. I hated virtually every moment and the show takes itself far too seriously to provide any of the cheese necessary for a show to be so bad that it's good.

Once Commodore Perry opened up the country in like 1853 or so they started bringing that stuff over and missions and stuff. I don't think it's that large a denomination, but there's a presence there.

I think that Christianity/Catholicism were still banned in Japan until the Meiji Restoration, slightly after Perry opened Japan. Even afterward, western religion has never really taken off in Japan like it did in the 1500s, so chapels probably exist solely for trendy western-style weddings (like in Vegas) or because of missionary organizations as you suggest.

iavi

Bakumatsu 20

Not much I can think to say on this ep, but that it felt like a transitional one, and that it felt redundant at times. Akidzuki's back in the game, and I am coming into this final stretch, so things should be heating back up soon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm under no illusion that Japanese TV can hold a candle to American TV productiion value wise. What I take issue with is Lafiel making a statement like that despite most likely never having seen a Jdrama in his life.

JDramas excel with character stuff, the things that you don't need high budgets for.
My favourite American show of all time is probably Roseanne and it's not like it had a giant budget production budget anyway.

I think it's a question of whether or not people want to watch certain stories. I could imagine a show about say, Chinese or Filipino migrant workers living in Japan being similar in scope or at least theme to The Wire. But I know that's never going to happen for obvious reasons. lol

Why is duckroll's hype always for shows that almost always turn out bad?
It's the duckroll touch.

They do it in churches because its cool. Its not that they're Catholic.
I guess if you're a Japanese priest, you'll get money however you can. Hooray for soft-colonialism.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

How does it excel when it can't even compare to character-driven "american" television shows like freak and geeks, mad men, friday night lights, six feet under etc off the top of my head.

Plus budget definitely helps with character-driven shows, you need INTERESTING environment and sets for the characters to interact in, you know, especially in regards to the framing of the dialogue etc.

Instro

Amigami SS+ 12

I really liked that episode a lot, cool ending. Haruka confirmed for best girl once again, this was totally the best arc. The finale should be fun, all girl episode.

zeroshiki

My favourite American show of all time is probably Roseanne and it's not like it had a giant budget production budget anyway.

I think it's a question of whether or not people want to watch certain stories. I could imagine a show about say, Chinese or Filipino migrant workers living in Japan being similar in scope or at least theme to The Wire. But I know that's never going to happen for obvious reasons. lol

There's actually a drama about a Filipino halfy that ryuukan likes to rag on me about. I really dislike it because while its self aware about racism towards Filipinos, it doesn't actually address and it comes off as being super racist.

How does it excel when it can't even compare to character-driven "american" television shows like freak and geeks, mad men, friday night lights, six feet under etc off the top of my head.

Plus budget definitely helps with character-driven shows, you need INTERESTING environment and sets for the characters to interact in, you know, especially in regards to the framing of the dialogue etc.

Compare what? Have you seen Japanese character driven shows? No because you're making yet another blanket statement about a topic you know nothing about. We get it, you love Friday Night Lights and its the best shoujo sports anime ever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amigami SS+ 12

I really liked that episode a lot, cool ending. Haruka confirmed for best girl once again, this was totally the best arc. The finale should be fun, all girl episode.
Rihoko arc is still the best arc of the series, since something actually happens!

There's actually a drama about a Filipino halfy that ryuukan likes to rag on me about. I really dislike it because while its self aware about racism towards Filipinos, it doesn't actually address and it comes off as being super racist.
Haha, what's it called? Is it super obvious like I.S.? At least they're trying I suppose. :p

It's the duckroll touch.

I guess if you're a Japanese priest, you'll get money however you can. Hooray for soft-colonialism.
Most guys doing western weddings aren't real priests. Its all just for show.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War

It's ironic that the last piece of LoGH media I watch is the one that kicks off the whole narrative, and arguably the pinnacle of the franchise. The direction is strong throughout, and while the budget is not lavish, the animation is good where it counts and the use of lightning and composition elevates it to a level of visual interest above the OVAs.

It's impressive what this film was able to convey without the helpful place and name cards of the main series. For example, to show the distinction and distance between the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance, the camera slowly pans away from Odin, where we have been observing Reinhard's situation, until it reaches a blanket of indistinguishable stars, then rushes through the star field at a blinding speed until it reaches Heinessen, showing the Alliance's fleet in orbit, focusing in on a recently landed plane, then the officers getting off that plane, and finally coming to rest on Yang. With one striking move, we understand the scale of the setting in which our two protagonists reside.

Careful attention is paid to the subtlety of human interaction, going against the general impression of LoGH as a series of talking heads. The scene between Yang, Lapp, and Jessica after Yang's return is a tour-de-force, painting the complexity of their various emotions without any dialogue whatsoever. Something as simple as Yang's clumsy dancing becomes the trigger for deep, yet understated emotions. Later scenes aren't quite as impressive, but also exhibit non-verbal expressions of a character's personality, such as when Yang's commander turns towards him, opens his mouth, shuts it again, turns away and wrestles with indecision before reluctantly asking Yang for tactical advice. A lot is said by brief movements such as those.

The film's only weakness is that it doesn't stand by itself, but requires the continuation of the OVA series. Of course, you can't blame it for that. Watching it made me dream of the masterpiece that would have resulted had the entire story been adapted in a series of films as high quality as this one. But I won't be an unrealistic glutton. I'm happy that what we got was as good as it was; and I'm certainly happy that this film was made.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What's the traditional place to hold a ceremony when you're getting married to your 2D waifu?

You know, someone should build Buddhist/Shinto temples here and hit up the new-age/atheist crowd for wedding business.

Considering that progressive-minded people are increasingly seeing the entire concept of marriage as passe, this might not be a sound business strategy :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Compare what? Have you seen Japanese character driven shows? No because you're making yet another blanket statement about a topic you know nothing about. We get it, you love Friday Night Lights and its the best shoujo sports anime ever.
Well, why don't you name the best ones out there, and I'll check them out and see how they compare to the best of american television or even mid-tier american television.:D

zeroshiki

Well, why don't you name the best ones out there, and I'll check them out and see how they compare to the best of american television or even mid-tier american television.:D

I'm not doing it because you clearly already have a conclusion in mind and are going to use whatever I say as reverse justification. Just say you prefer American shows and not make silly statements about things you know nothing about.

Just you wait.

They can't really kill off anyone I care about anymore. I mean, everyone from the Alliance could die and I wouldn't give a shit. On the Empire's side, Reinhardt is most likely making it to the end and everyone else seems pretty expendable.

Makoto

Blue Drop 5

How do you get some kid from chucking rocks at you with a slingshot?
You teleport yourself above the kid, squishing him, ideally injuring him and then you bail out. Fast. You won't feel any pain in your ass. At all.

Thanks to this show, I've learned that tactic. This show has been disappointing me on yuri front but judging from my impressions of Kanamemo, I probably missed 50 instances of yuri due to my yuri-radar being out of whack or something. Or maybe they've just been really subtle. Shit, the only reason I'm still watching this show is because the OP and ED are awesome.

zeroshiki

Oh snap.

BRS though was victim to his hopes and dreams though.

I am scared for E7:AO. I hope it manages to be unscathed from the calamity.

Have you seen the backstory? Any hope that it won't be stupid went away with that.

I just hope Eureka never shows up so I can pretend they have nothing to do with each other.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm not doing it because you clearly already have a conclusion in mind and are going to use whatever I say as reverse justification. Just say you prefer American shows and not make silly statements about things you know nothing about.
Maybe it's because they don't exist? :D frankly I'd be INCREDIBLY shocked if a japanese television drama with writing on-par with LOST of all shows even exists (barring production values and direction). I mean I'm sure they are some fun and decent shows out there; and frankly I'm saddened you think that way of me, I've gone through plenty of things with pre-conceived preconceptions, and I have always been prepared to eat crow when I'm proven wrong.:p

Thoraxes

Have you seen the backstory? Any hope that it won't be stupid went away with that.

I just hope Eureka never shows up so I can pretend they have nothing to do with each other.

Yes... I'm pretending to think that they were just trolling us, and that there'll be some shit going on and that that stuff was just a front for the real show and will only be slightly layered on top.

I was actually talking about Sacred Seven. I loved BRS (haven't watched 8 yet though).
It's crazy to think that Sunrise put all that budget to that show and left T&B with a way lower amount that forced them into a lot of that CG, and ultimately it sold way better.

I'm confused though. Is it 2/3 ruined or 2/3 saved? I was assuming ruined.
They haven't even announced who's writing it. The show is fucked.
Oh goodness.

At the very worst I walk away with a show filled with Elena Peoples. That can be the diamond in the rough for me.

Instro

Naw. I mean, at least with Rihoko's arc, it ended on a cliffhanger in the previous series. With each of the other ones, there's really not much to go on.

Oh I know what you meant, I'm just being a Haruka fanboy because her arc was really entertaining. Rihoko's arc is the best one since it brings full closure, and
it was nice to see her get out of the friendzone
although my only knock against it would the weird ending to the first episode of the arc.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
They haven't even announced who's writing it. The show is fucked.
Amusingly I'd usually say "writing doesn't matter for anime" but E7 was actually one of the few anime where the writer actually had a clear influence on the production and quality of the series.:lol

zeroshiki

Maybe it's because they don't exist? :D frankly I'd be INCREDIBLY shocked if a japanese television drama with writing on-par with LOST of all shows even exists (barring production values and direction). I mean I'm sure they are some fun and decent shows out there; and frankly I'm saddened you think that way of me, I've gone through plenty of things with pre-conceived preconceptions, and I have always been prepared to eat crow when I'm proven wrong.:p

Because Americans can clearly write better, right?

I'm not sure what reaction you expect when you make patently silly statements and then set up some rhetorical trap with asking for recommendations. If I told you to watch Jin or Ryomaden, would you take the effort to go and watch them?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Potato, potahto. You'd be better off trying to introduce love hotels to the western world!
We already have those. A night in a motel costs the same as a love hotel stay, if CheapyD is to believed!

Oh I know what you meant, I'm just being a Haruka fanboy because her arc was really entertaining. Rihoko's arc is the best one since it brings full closure, although I kind of have to knock it for the ending to the first episode of the arc.
That over dramatic ending was funny though.
The question is whether you think Jessica is better than Haruka!

Branduil

Amusingly I'd usually say "writing doesn't matter for anime" but E7 was actually one of the few anime where the writer actually had a clear influence on the production and quality of the series.:lol

So it's like Black Rock Shooter or Earth Maiden Arjuna?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Because Americans can clearly write better, right?

I'm not sure what reaction you expect when you make patently silly statements and then set up some rhetorical trap with asking for recommendations. If I told you to watch Jin or Ryomaden, would you take the effort to go and watch them?

That isn't really the case at all, it's simply the reality of what I'm talking about; can you honestly say with a straight-face there is a writer in the j-drama industry that's as good as say David Simon or David Milch? I mean I'm not saying Japan has bad writers in general, because there has been plenty of great artists coming from the country.

Also sure I'll note them down, and watch them sometime, once I'm over my KNT addiction.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom