• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

All I ask is that Anime try to be honest when telling their stories. Stop pandering and feeding people sweet poison to rot their brains. Stop titillating and treating women as pure objects of desire. But now I feel I must add another:
Stop trivialising death by pulling out bullshit at the end to revive characters.
It's a show about a WWII battleship crossing galaxies to recover a device to resurrect an entire ecosystem dude.
It's also paid for and foreshadowed in advance, not to mention consistent with the rest of the show.

It's around the same price as Fate/Zero if not more expensive with shit all in the way of extras or even a dub. At least Aniplex releases attempt to justify their prices.

The Fate/Zero set was over $300 for 13 episodes, which is a lot more than $10 per episode (more than $20 per episode, even). The extras certainly were a big improvement, however.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
No kidding. Why are these prices so ridiculous? Is it just greed, or do they have a legitimate reason where they need to charge this much?
fear of reverse importation and don't care enough about this market to make a concerted effort with something that might sell.
The Fate/Zero set was over $300 for 13 episodes, which is a lot more than $10 per episode (more than $20 per episode, even). The extras certainly were a big improvement, however.
no? you can grab all 26 episodes of f/z for like a little over $300 right now.

no? you can grab all 26 episodes of f/z for like a little over $300 right now.

I was talking about the original release, which was sub only and crazy expensive.

It's since been re-released and is now cheaper, something which will also likely happen for Yamato.

JoeFu

Banned
Just finished the Hachikuji episodes of Monogatari.

I am loving this season so far. It's so good. Hachikuji's episodes were awesome we got
time travel and alternate universes and all that jazz. Seeing the adult Hachikuji was awesome. I was hoping she would be one of the last people alive in that alternate universe and she was a bawse!
. This show is crazy and I love it.

Watch the anime. Its really really good. The story is easy to follow and though it takes a bit to get going, when it does HOLY SHIT. also Kurisu da goddess.

Theres an event that happens around the halfway point. you may want to stick with it till then. Its worth all the setup!
Things that happen in the show all have a reason even seemingly trivial ones.

Absolutely 100% agreed. The anime is excellent and certainly paid off immensely once it really got going.

jbug617

Banned

Fate/Zero also had a rerelease with the dub. Cost around $280 for the whole thing with good amount of extras included

dimb

I was talking about the original release, which was sub only and crazy expensive.

It's since been re-released and is now cheaper, something which will also likely happen for Yamato.
the f/z release you are talking about was the "import" version, and is pretty much coming at japanese prices. then down the road they released a full localization. i dunno, it's not an ideal solution but at least it gives crazy people a more timely purchase.

i highly doubt yamato will get another release.

JoeFu

Banned
lol @ SBY2199 BD prices....

Do anime set prices drop often? I checked the price of Bakemonogatari and Nise on Rightstuf and they we're about $10 per episode as well...

I'd love to own these box sets, but holy crap.

Do anime set prices drop often? I checked the price of Bakemonogatari and Nise on Rightstuf and they we're about $10 per episode as well...

I'd love to own these box sets, but holy crap.

A lot of times it depends on the company who puts out the series. Some companies, like Aniplex, charge a fuckton.

the f/z release you are talking about was the "import" version, and is pretty much coming at japanese prices. then down the road they released a full localization. i dunno, it's not an ideal solution but at least it gives crazy people a more timely purchase.

i highly doubt yamato will get another release.

Yes, I understand that, I was just pointing it out as a situation where pricing was even crazier.

I don't see any reason to think Yamato won't get a cheaper release down the line. Doing more expensive initial volumes and then a cheaper boxset collecting everything was pretty common back in the day. Given the pricing on Yamato, it would seem to that that's what they're planning to do (this still happens with some other shows, just not to this level).

I'd be quite surprised if a couple of years down the line they don't put out a boxset release of the series.

jbug617

Banned
I'm getting a feeling Funimation quietly creeping up on (cheaper)Aniplex status soon with certain releases. Viz seems like they might be following a similar path as NISA and who knows what Sentai is going to do.

JoeFu

Banned
A lot of times it depends on the company who puts out the series. Some companies, like Aniplex, charge a fuckton.

That really sucks. I bought Baccano the other day and it was only 40 dollars. I also own the Samurai Champloo BD set and that was only 40 and I bought that almost 4 years ago.

I wish they were more affordable. I chose a bad time to get back into anime. No money for these things :(

Tanken Driland Episode 12

Hilarious antics but finally more information on the background of the plot and that Door of Darkness. Should hopefully be a fantastic action moments of sorts once that plot gets kicking and Isowels powers showcased in the descendants.

Love Lab 07

TxX5EcZ.jpg

jWSMh0U.jpg

Tu6O3ES.jpg

Poor Ren-kun.

Maki demonstrates the perfect way to capture a boy's interest in this episode too:
hPZ4OHp.gif

cajunator

Banned
Oh, so Witchcraft is bad. Damn.

Witchcraft is rarely ever bad! Especially in anime!

Am curious. I enjoyed what I read of the manga. And I haven't really hated anything JC Staff has done (that I've seen).

Same feeling here. Even the dumb shows like Maburaho I have enjoyed.

Yuushibu - 12

Well that was an alright ending .

it was mostly by the book and predictable but it was well done. The episode itself was a mix of bad animation , great & awesome animation and horrible censorship

Seriously this is worse than light beams!

As a whole the anime was funny , more intresting than expected and the cast was good.
Fino cheerfullness was alright .

A nice 6.5/10 anime.
Would have been 7.5 or 8 if it was uncessored and with more of the old man + fino misunderstandings.

This show is worth it for Fino antics. She is just so wonderful.

Madman to leak the Dream Machine next.

:(
nothing but sadness.

I'm saying they look ugly

Nibu does. They totally ruined that beauty. Otherwise its the same or improvement (dekomori)

Yozakura Quartet: Tsuki ni Naku 1

FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.
[X] TOUCH THE FLUFF OUTTA THAT TAIL

The lewd is off the charts with this OVA and it looks like the real meat of this arc is going to be in the next episode. Tomoe DA GODDESS though oh my god I've got to let off some steam.

lol I love you zachy.

The World God Only Knows Goddess 5-6

That Yui's voice. Reminds me of Makoto a bit, that tomboyish charm. I'm pretty sure it was Yui that sang the ending theme this episode too! Love how they're having all the girls sing it :D

Also. LOL

Then we have Shiori episode again! Yay! Loved how he kept wearing that to help move Shiori along. Out of all Season 1 kisses, Shiori's was done best with all the floating books around. Her story was super cute too. Her Goddess is less cute, but it's keeping things going!

Now I don't know which I like better, Yui ending, or Shiori ending ;__;

Oh, super unlikely. Doesn't mean I still wouldn't love seeing it!

I mean, they at least briefly animated the other girls. I guess they just felt they needed to get caught up. :(

Kana/Shiori singing is like the voice of an angel.

From the New World 1

I don't really know what's going on, but it was certainly intriguing. Surprisingly creepy, too (that Ogre!). Seems kinda like The Village or The Giver? Will keep watching.

This show is disturbing and messed up in the best kind of way. If you arent totally creeped out by it somethings wrong.

I actually don't drink... yet

Perhaps I should save those series for my 21st birthday.

Any alternate suggestions Duckroll? For shows on Crunchy.

edit: Beyond the Slope is on crunchy. I've heard that's good.

Tsuritama. Watch it!

Aikatsu! 19

What?

We found our fifth ranger! VAMPIRE!

For once, Ichigo lost to an established name. Really fresh

And we now have a new genre added to both songs and fashion style. Really doing well with the expanded song list potential and whatnot. Too bad Ichigo wore those awful clothing from that two parter.
It's why she lost.

The biggest anime company in Australia is still small beans when it comes to that kind of thing, I'd guess. And given the state of internet infrastructure in Australia, it might not be a viable model.

Besides, anime DVD sales are prettty dammmn expensive. Maybe they don't want to undercut themselves.

Well now youve got my attention.

School Days 1-12

My fucking god. I have no words for this shit. I have watched anime for many years, but this is the only shit show that I watched that actually managed to kill me. This show is a fucking abomination, I can't believe I let people convince me to watch this shit. Not even Oreimo 2 managed to make me feel like this, fuck this shit. I am fucking done, I am going to sleep. I truly hope I can forget that I watched this shit.

Now this is more like it!

I dunno if this or the Rocky gif is better.

Does France often get its own bluray releases? Was browsing the local Amazon version and saw the Berserk series getting released there: http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00GFNRX7E/

France is apparently the largest anime market and gets a lot of goodies the Us doesnt.

Just ordered this from Amazon.fr

akirablurayfriqqzt.png

Apparently limited to 999 copies, still in stock at €39.99
Audio: Japanese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French DTS-HD 5.1 & 2.0
Subtitles: French and Dutch

Comes out in 2 weeks :D

That looks sooooo good.

Hanamaru Kindergarten 1

What the hell is this thing? I've seen a lot of dumb hair in anime, but this might take the cake. Arrest the mother for child abuse.

Watch Potemayo if you wanna see some wacked out hair. Or Shiki.

Damn, I must have missed out big time. They also have blu Mushishi, holy shiat! Not even available in the US. Too bad only few of them think about the small Belgian market and add Dutch subs. :(

I am legit jelly of this.

Yamato 2199 - END

815021264.gif

YEAHHHHHHH
Classic asspull

This 100x worse than eps 15 ending

Godammit, why they must have this episode as ending.. whyyyyyyy

I just knew that fuck Kodai must ruin this show somehow, goddammit.. not like this. this episode also ruin my mood enough to not be able enjoy Okita emotional moment, that's unforgiveable.

I know they can't ignore the shit original PLOT but still..

RIP my AOTY votes.

Rob Ryan <3

Mitsudomoe, Yuru Yuri and Kill Me Baby to just give a couple of examples.

That reminds me. why wasnt Mitsudomoe ever licensed? the other shows were. It makes no sense. Same with Hanamaru Kindergarten. Anime licensing is totally nonsensical.

Crunchyroll got Pupa

Yesssssss
munch crunch onii chan

Put School Rumble on your watch list, brah.

Follow this advice.
Its worthy.

On one hand: Unf unf short shorts
On the the other: Why would you take away vagina bones?

Yadda yadda yadda.

Did Dream Eater Merry really start that?

Oh yeah I haven't posted this here yet:

These arrived over the last couple of days.
That makes 5 JP Ghibli BDs so far!

Congrats! Nice looking sets there.

Why in god's green earth would you want the Pom Poko BD set?

Its nuts.

You're a stupid baka! :(

KAAAAAAVE! *glomps

Non Non Biyori - 12 [END]

Show's over, and now I'm depressed. ;_;

Would love to get a season 2.

Need to re-arrange my AOTY list as their thoughtfulness at overloading the beginning with Hotaru x Komari fluff made it jump up 2 spots, at least.

Shows like this are why Ill continue to have faith in anime.

dimb

I don't see any reason to think Yamato won't get a cheaper release down the line. Doing more expensive initial volumes and then a cheaper boxset collecting everything was pretty common back in the day. Given the pricing on Yamato, it would seem to that that's what they're planning to do (this still happens with some other shows, just not to this level).
With Aniplex rereleases are kind of a given because that's the way they operate. They push out what is essentially a quickie before releasing a more localized box set. I wouldn't exactly count on Yamato getting a rerelease even within the next few years because it's being published by a bunch of nobodies who don't realize they have to negotiate with rightstuf and are putting out press releases like this:
anime fans rekt in response though.

cajunator

Banned
cajun, after reading so many of out posts in such a short space of time, surely you have realised most of it is complete bollocks.

Its zany and much of it doesnt make sense, like the anime we love. If the thread wasnt so crazy it wouldnt be half as much fun. Thats the whole point of it isnt it?

Gbraga

I liked how Hamatora started, great visuals, sound and the setting grabbed me, but I hope it's not just a "case of the week" show, even though I did enjoy this week's cases and how they developed.

Master is already the best.

D-Frag was ok, I guess. It had its funny moments so I'll keep watching for a while.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 22

If an idol's scent isn't an actual scent, then why was Raichi sniffing around the movie theater like a creepy weirdo? Funny how he sniffed his mom though, since she's an ex-idol and he doesn't realize it. And Aoi claims he's close to being a true idol fan, which I really don't think is a good thing.

Concert was the song in the ED, which I don't like much. Had Ran doing the monkey at least. And next episode is a Ran episode. Or one coming up. Cool.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Unspace Battle Ship Yamato EP2

The first episode was decent, but this one has me feeling much more assured that this will be a good show.

It's still not in space though :C

If
the girl who crashed on mars is one of Starsha's sisters, am i to assume the other is that girl on the yamato? It's a bit confusing there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom