• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Dandy 8

As someone who loves effective tone shifts, this episode really didn't work at all. Separately the halves are fine, but the fact it's 1 episode brings it down.

Gazoinks

I can understand not having watched any Jojo's but I'm stunned that Corvo seems to not know literally anything about it. Just from general anime culture osmosis I would think at least everybody knew something about it.

I don't know, I think Jojo has much less of a western presence compared to the other big shonens due to its lack of localization. Which is a shame because it is awesome.

I don't know, I think Jojo has much less of a western presence compared to the other big shonens due to its lack of localization. Which is a shame because it is awesome.

This is true, but internet culture brings it up quite a bit in terms of visibility. I mean there were memes everywhere and a lot of communities talked about it all the time. I was fully aware of it well before I actually started reading it. It's probably the most popular mostly unlicensed property in the medium.

Narag

This is true, but internet culture brings it up quite a bit in terms of visibility. I mean there were memes everywhere and a lot of communities talked about it all the time. I was fully aware of it well before I actually started reading it. It's probably the most popular mostly unlicensed property in the medium.

oMX5B6F.png

Saw this meme everywhere before I even knew what it was from. :lol

CorvoSol

I can understand not having watched any Jojo's but I'm stunned that Corvo seems to not know literally anything about it. Just from general anime culture osmosis I would think at least everybody knew something about it.

I dunno what to tell you. All I know about JoJo is that it's a show in which people strike poses I guess?

Crocodile

Yeah this was kind of my point. There are Jojo's references EVERYWHERE be they in other anime, manga or video games. I've come across a few in WESTERN shows/comics/video games too. I just feel like if you've been invested in Japanese culture or anything related to it for at least a few years, you can't help but run across it.

Gazoinks

Yeah this was kind of my point. There are Jojo's references EVERYWHERE be they in other anime, manga or video games. I've come across a few in WESTERN shows/comics/video games too. I just feel like if you've been invested in Japanese culture or anything related to it for at least a few years, you can't help but run across it.

Yeah, but I didn't pick up on the references till I started Jojo's. The memes are a thing, but even then it's like "Oh it's that meme from that Jojo thing", it's not really much actual info about it, you know?

CorvoSol

I'm not even 20 minutes into Do You Remember Love and I feel like I need to change my pants.

God Damn when did anime stop looking this beautiful?

CorvoSol

Oh ew they brought Minmay and Kaifun on
Hikaru and Misa's trip aboard the Zentradi ship.
This was the first time in the TV series that
Hikaru and Misa really interacted in a romantic light
. This is the first change the movie's made that I haven't liked.

EDIT: Yup. They ruined it. I knew this movie was too good to be true.

JCG

Space Dandy - 8

It was okay, but nothing too special.

And even though I had already checked it out...seeing the Japanese OP was great.

The jokes varied from just right to somehow trying too hard to be cartoony for my taste.

I definitely felt the dog stuff was surprisingly underwhelming though. It needed a lot more time.

That said, Dr. Gel had some nice scenes, which is a plus.

Nourin 07

Well that was just a weird episode.

Fat jokes and then suddenly drama about all the vegetables and fruits. I mean it's total mood whiplash. Besides that the content over the drama up to its revelation completely felt like something that'll happen in the last episode not midway. Though I guess it was a joke anyway so whatever there.

The only part I liked of this whole episode was when the Elite Four Five appeared.

Link Man

Banned
Mars of Destruction is bad in a funny way. I enjoyed watching it. But really, for all the importance we give the list, it's just a slapped together assortment of bad shows/films and Code Geass.

So, still being relatively new to this community, I'm afraid I'm still ignorant as to what this "list" is and where I can find it. I mean, I gather that it's a list of bad anime, but I'm still curious.

CorvoSol

So, still being relatively new to this community, I'm afraid I'm still ignorant as to what this "list" is and where I can find it. I mean, I gather that it's a list of bad anime, but I'm still curious.

To be entirely honest I've been marathoning The List since before Christmas and I'm STILL not sure that there's any one thing that unites all entries on it.

And I'm still pretty damn sure that A Wakening of the Trailblazer deserves a spot.

EDIT: NEVERMIND DO YOU REMEMBER LOVE REDEEMED. NEW MISA STUFF DA BEST.

cajunator

Banned
Not even Haibane Renmei?

:(

Kino's Journey 3

Wheeeeeeeeew. So, looks like the theme this time around is "What is tradition?" and "Whose interpretation is the right one?" Interesting to see, since there were a few people who were wrong and right in their interpretations in this episode, but all of them missed the real point, and to point fingers and name their names would be to miss the episode's point, too, I think. It was interesting to see the sort of bookend structure of the episode, with the climax being the poet's agonizing poem. At the heart of that particular story was the poet's inability to interpret the concept of sorrow, which in turn brought greater sorrow upon him.

I think this is a valuable lesson to bear in mind, but not one to apply, so to speak. You must always be careful when making interpretations and judgments, but you should not strive to avoid either, I think. His inability to interpret sorrow at all brought the poet misery, and while it was good of the people to remember his sorrow, living it themselves is not something I would personally covet. Cliched as it is, Kino's statement "To Each His Own" makes sense in this context. Kino could have interfered at numerous points after learning the truth, but why should she? Could she have saved anyone? Could she have stopped the war? And what about last week's lesson on the danger of help?

Even then, though, the lesson is important for the sake of consideration, but not extreme application. We shouldn't just dive hard necked into an interpretation, but living without one at all is no better. Indeed, the land of tradition, where no one had a tradition and therefore a new one was made without anyone knowing it, sort of proves the point. You cannot live without tradition and interpretation, even when you actively seek to discard them. The best you can hope for is to interpret wisely, I suppose, and uphold the good traditions you acquire along the way.

That episode was pretty interesting. The world is full of prophecies and beliefs from books written in completely different times and yet people still base their entire lives unquestionably on the prophecies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The idea was that all entries on the list exhibit trancendence, which is the ability to be enjoyable or entertaining despite failing on anything that might be considered objective merits.

For example, The Core has some of the worst science in an action film and is shoddy at all levels, but I can't help but find it hilarious. List entries are all supposed to be like this in some way, even if not everyone can agree.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Blue Exorcist Episode 1:

So that was resoundingly mediocre, but it is also the first episode of establishment.

Baccano! - 01
Just finished first episode. I hardly ever watch dubs, but damn, I'm glad I listened to some gaffers and gave it a try. The voices are great, and the show itself already has me hooked. I feel like I'm in for a damn good ride.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sakura Trick - 07

First part was pretty heavy, and Yuzu is at the point where she's literally making an effort not to notice the obvious signals of Kotone and Shizuku's relationship. Open your eyes Yuzu, for crying out loud!!!

I like how they never touched back on Kotone's arranged marriage after her little sister mentioned it. That's pretty goddamn important as it throws a wrench in my ships, yet its as if it went over there heads immediately after hearing it.

JCG

The idea was that all entries on the list exhibit trancendence, which is the ability to be enjoyable or entertaining despite failing on anything that might be considered objective merits.

But the downside of said idea is that's a rather subjective judgment to begin with, especially when you try to go beyond the absolute worst shows on the list.

Some seem to have questionable entertainment value, and a couple arguably do have enough merits to fulfill their intended objectives, despite the flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom