• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GA 05

79DnITy.jpg

A vacuum cleaner that looks like an UFO? How ridicu... No, wait...

XdYjv3Lm.jpg

Hm...

Namiko gets some weird birthday presents and a small party and the fine arts club has to clean up the club room where they find lots of missing books and old drinks.

DENKI-GAI Episode 2 – Is Denki-gai Burning?
B9lcmY3IEAAvKJt.png

This anime is incredibly funny at times. I think all of the cast is pretty entertaining (though sommalier could be a bit more full of life, he reminds me of Chad, and zombie girl is creepy) All of the events were pretty hilarious and filled with many great outcomes and surprises. I hope the rest are like this. Much better than episode ones dull second half.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Parasyte Episode 18:

Farewell Tamura Reiko, you were the best female character on this program by far and really the most interesting parasite as well.

Parasyte - 18

Sad to see her out of the picture, but I guess this was the best way to end her while showing her 'humanity'. Shinichi seeing her sacrifice 'healed' his own heart was a nice touch.
I'd preferred if she just fled the country to Mexico or some shit and just blended in human society completely.
Finally the police is back in action and we now actually get to see what methods and such they use to prove the Parasytes.
FeYIBu2.jpg

pls no bully the parasytes

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - 19-26 [Finale]

Sure, that was a downgrade but nothing so drastic it, in turn, would impede my enjoyment of the episodes before. There's a hell lot of recap, which I just skipped, and overall the budget for or effort put into these later episodes was significantly lower but the main themes and storyline still kept going, albeit at a worse pacing.

The problem is rather that the show just ends abruptly in the middle of this culture festival arc.

So I've read up on the production of this anime and apparently the manga author, Masami Tsuda, was unhappy with the anime as she felt there was too much focus on comedy, too little on romance and so she refused further seasons. Anno then left the project by around ep18.

That kinda sucks I have to say. Now I haven't read the manga (may actually do that as I'm kinda missing out now) but even if there was more comedy in the anime, it worked out fantastically and, for me, did NOT hurt the romance that was there at all. Anno did a great job at juggling the different tones, there wasn't any (negative) mood whiplashing to me.

I don't know if is a faithful adaptation, but it certainly certainly is a strong adaptation. Only 7 out of 21 volumes were adapted for the anime... what a loss :/

edit:
Oh no, gotta be really careful in this thread now where I'm holding out on Parasyte.

Aria 06

Hm... I think I recognize this cat. Didn't somebody here have it as their avatar for a while?

Finally get to meet the last water fairy and she's quite clumsy, got an ahoge and is a good singer. She's smarter than she first seems though, so Alice learns a lesson. And Alice's last name is Carroll, eh?

Parasyte 18

The sound direction in this is awful. You'd think a baby would start crying after the sound of 1 gun shot
never mind 10 guys unloading directly at you.

Kancolle - 06

Refreshing to follow another group. To be honest I found this group funnier to watch than the main one, though that may just be fatigue.
Hope you like curry, cause that was pretty much what happened in this episode, well, and some lewd.

Amagi Brilliant Park Episodes 3 & 4

Kanie is doing a great job at park management. I like how personable he is with the folks and helps to get them to do what he needs but also gives in to what they want. Too bad Sento is too hard and cold for them, but it kind of makes for some funny moments.

In any case, they need some big things to happen if they want to get more than a few hundred a day. The video was a great start (laughed immensely at the reveal).

Tuck

Strike Witches 5

It's a beach episode.

It was pretty tame actually. The bath scene from the previous ep was way, way worse. When your every other episode is like a beach one already, you don't have a whole lot of cards left to play.

Our protag dreams of breasts, sexually harasses a few characters, is finally outed as a pervert. Meanwhile, this episode's focus; Shirley breaks the speed of sound with the help of her Italian scientist and defeats the shockingly unexpected Neuroi attack. Losing her clothes in the process for some reason. Fin.

Pretty standard SW fare.

Deadman Wonderland 01-02

Haha I didn't have high expectations but this was just something else. The most ridicoulous premise ever conceived supported by awful characters and shitty dialogue.

Well the second episode was funny at times so I imagine this is how this is supposed to be enjoyed. I refuse to believe anyone could write this with a straight face.
Can't speak for the anime, but the manga was decent. Sure the premise is dumb but overall it was a good time. Pretty unique.

cajunator

Banned
Awww yeesss.

10k in general seems really low however. Is that a typical number for best sellers?

Thats actually not bad at all! 10K is reaching the higher end of successful anime.

Ah I know. I just dont have any other frame of reference. Like I'm used to hearing that 200k for some video games can be a flop, so not sure the amount an anime studio likes to aim for when it comes to sales. Glad to hear that its successful!

anime is measured in an entirely different number bracket. Its very very very niche saleswise, unless its something massively popular like a Miyazaki film. however, shows like monogatari series and Madoka Magica have broken through 100k sales and are an extreme rarity. SOmetimes the companies just catch lightning in a bottle.

Steins;Gate 1
I'm very interested! Gonna start the next ep after I eat something. Mayuri is so cute.

You have just begun a very good journey in my opinion. One of my absolute favorites of the past ten years easily. So many little details and twists and turns, like a good time travel story should have.

Just how old are your favorite seriyuus?

Goku's VA is how old??? Holy shit. And Yui Horie is one year older than I am? I need to lie down.

*checks Halko Momoi .....37 years old.
Goddess is still pretty young :)

cajunator

Banned
Shirobako production committee (in order of financing):
Warner Entertainment Japan, PA Works, Showgate, Klockworx, Soutsu, Movic, Dokomo, BS Fuji

Primary ways to recoup expenses:
Video discs (retail)/CDs (Warner)
Merch from PA Works directly/anything else (PA Works)
International Streaming/international release (Showgate)
Video discs (rental) (Klockworx)
Ratings/buying anything (Sotsu)
Merchandise (Movic)
Japanese Streaming (Docomo)
Watching on BS Fuji (BS Fuji)

I bold video discs as not only was Warner the highest financier of the show, their producer helped bring the committee together alongside producer Nakatani (who produces all PA originals).

Each committee is different and so each way they recoup finances is different. These methods may not apply to each production as their goals are different, so don't apply these for any other show.

Thanks for this info. Learned something.

Steins;Gate 2
An interesting microwave you got there.

quite so! The first few episodes dont seem to be going anywhere, but pay attention to the set up.

Cat Shit One
It's like Call of Duty modern warfare, but with Bunny and Camel. Some awesome shit, but it looks like the studio don't have enough fund to produce the next episode. Shame...

LOL. I remember this. It was pretty amazing. Like Desert storm with cats, rabbits, and other animals.

Are you ready for static menus and no extras?

if it means thats the only way to get a US release, then yes.
I rather a cheap release than no release at all!

Parasyte - 18

What a fucking wash of an episode.
All emotional significance of the scene with Tamura was totally destroyed by then playing the generic as hell ED over one huge flashback. And then they end it on a cliffhanger. Zzz.

cajunator

Banned
One more series confirmed for Spring.

Mikagura Academy Suite

Like Mekaku City Actors, it's a series of songs turned light novels, though hopefully less confusing.

Looks alright. Ive seen so many magical academy shows though. At least half a dozen.
They kind of get old after a while. For some reason I enjoy them though so Ill watch a little of this.

At least it isn't by Shaft :)

I know. It might suck. Thats what Im afraid of.

Budget wise it sure is, plus they screwed up some of the songs and kinda screwed up the direction of the story.

Anyways Shaft are great when they try, but when they don't you get an incomplete package such as Mekakucity Actors.

Mekakucity was pretty weak but Shaft has a lot more hits than misses.
They are one of the best studios.

They definitely are using the correct masters on this release now :D

Glad the people who caught it back in July told them about it and it was addressed properly!

2015-02-1101.58.48x3olt.jpg

Squeeeeeee!
Mine is out for delivery today so I will get it very soon BEAR :D
Let us bounce with happiness!

cajunator

Banned
Looks fantastic though I wish the character tab had more of the characters. Terrible tease with the visual there but the characters people want to see arent detailed :(

It does have the characters I wanted to see.

GA 04

Modern art.

Lots of different art techniques gets used because of Tomokane, photography and rule of thirds and a play with art supplies. Poor black poster paint.

Oh, and happy birthday to JoeFu!

No lie, I thought that was pizza when I saw the picture on mobile.

Finished watching Steins;Gate

pretty good show but man...Ruka is my new waifu

Did you watch the OVA afterwards? And the movie?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
KanColle 6

A show about curry and yet all I saw was slop. And then the one attempt to show what proper curry (English style (which is basically Indian style)) looks like was cut short. Japan, you're not too far from India; go there and learn what curry looks like!

Not even any papadums.

0/100000

/XX/

So I've read up on the production of this anime and apparently the manga author, Masami Tsuda, was unhappy with the anime as she felt there was too much focus on comedy, too little on romance and so she refused further seasons. Anno then left the project by around ep18.
Yeah, Mr. Yamaga himself talked about this as a reason for them not following with the author's story adaptation... but what about the motivation for Hideaki Anno to ultimately drop-out from the project altogether abandoning what was already planned and approved to make? Strangely enough Michael S. Johnson from Team Ghiblink (of Nausicaa.net fame) during a visit at GAiNAX and meetings with staffers speculated afterwards that it could have been related to TV Tokyo's excessive caution and meddling on their ongoing animated projects after panicking because of that infamous 'Pokémon Shock' incident (not that previous Japanese PTA complaints towards NGE should have helped their cause either):

Mike Johnson said:
Anno objected to the restrictions placed on TV anime by TV Tokyo after the Pocket Monster incident, so in protest, he decided to have nothing more to do with TV Tokyo and left the production of Kare-Kano in the hands of (Hiroki) Sato, who joined Gainax after having worked for the government in a public works management position.
http://web.archive.org/web/20031101182610/http://www.nausicaa.net/~michj/tokyo/990203.html

The straw that broke the camel's back? Who knows?

Yeah, Mr. Yamaga himself talked about this as a reason for them not following with the author's story adaptation... but what about the motivation for Hideaki Anno to ultimately drop-out from the project altogether abandoning what was already planned and approved to make? Strangely enough Michael S. Johnson from Team Ghiblink (of Nausicaa.net fame) during a visit at GAiNAX and meetings with staffers speculated afterwards that it could have been related to TV Tokyo's excessive caution and meddling on their ongoing animated projects after panicking because of that infamous 'Pokémon Shock' incident (not that previous Japanese PTA complaints towards NGE should have helped their cause either):

http://web.archive.org/web/20031101182610/http://www.nausicaa.net/~michj/tokyo/990203.html

The straw that broke the camel's back? Who knows?

Interesting, I was wondering about the exact motivations of his. I was actually wondering about s.th. concerning ep18.
So as I mentioned in an earlier post, Yukino and Souichirou have sex in that episode and that 'scene' seemed way too tame for someone like Anno. The two sit on Souichirous bed, holding and kissing each other, while some soft piano music plays, and it fades out to some white screen, then eventually displays "I think I'll go crazy" and finishes with some metaphor for her orgasm. It's played super safely which I can't help but feel is s.th. TV Tokyo demanded of them.

Hunter x Hunter - 07

This Killua kid is something else, creating after-images assassin techniques and killing (or whatever "stopping" means) with his demon hand. How old was he again? 12?
People really don't like getting bumped into in this show. That old supervisor man playing 'ball' with them was pretty cool.

/XX/

Interesting, I was wondering about the exact motivations of his. I was actually wondering about s.th. concerning ep18.
So as I mentioned in an earlier post, Yukino and Souichirou have sex in that episode and that 'scene' seemed way too tame for someone like Anno. The two sit on Souichirous bed, holding and kissing each other, while some soft piano music plays, and it fades out to some white screen, then eventually displays "I think I'll go crazy" and finishes with some metaphor for her orgasm. It's played super safely which I can't help but feel is s.th. TV Tokyo demanded of them.
I'm fairly sure that TV Tokyo had enough of those kind of scenes after NGE's episode 20... in fact, rumours floating around mention that the channel's chief of programming was fired over it! The reports about complaints from Japanese PTAs I posted about earlier and the subsequent more restrictive stance, with a closer supervision coming from the channel that was motivated by such episode actually coincide with the unproven 'kaibunsho' (http://www.evaotaku.com/html/kaibunsho-main.html) side/version of the story too.

Soul Eater 1

Man it's been a while since I watched a straight-up Shonen series. The first episode follows the standard Shonen set-up but does it well and makes it entertaining. Looking forward to the next episode.

Hunter x Hunter - 09

Paprika showing how it's done, even though it was a poser. Not sure I like the cop out with the candle sequence of just blowing out the opponents flame. Witty, but anticlimactic.
I do like how this obstacle is time consuming since they've spent roughly 2 episodes on this alone. They got the time I suppose, it's 148 episodes after all.

Kancolle 06

E5JajLL.jpg

She's been my flagship since the beginning and I never realized she floated that way.

I disliked this episode, but not for anything the episode did. I simply have too many of those fucking loli destroyers in my fleet in the game. MAY THEY ALL SINK!

Gintama 31-32

Good pair of episodes, is this show developing a continuity now?

If by continuity you mean that recurring characters keep coming back and there is a progression in the world due to major plots, then yes. Some of the more serious arcs definitely introduce some things...

At the same time the show discards some things they tried to establish at the beginning and never mention it again. You'll notice in like a 100 episode how a major driving point of the show is all but discarded and then they only mention it like "hey didn't this show used to be about X?" lol

I mean before the only continuity it had was reoccurring characters and "hey remember that one time X happened" but these two episodes and the next one all flow into each other instead of being relatively stand alone.

Ah. Well like I said there is a bit of a continuity but more in the large sense it's more due to recurring characters and jokes/them recalling something that happened. Arcs over-all are stand-alone outside of how it affects characters and maybe a 'bigger picture' for some of the baddies that get introduced. But it's enough with the characters as the recurring cast basically makes the show.

Remember that time when there were aliens?

lol god dammit

Hunter x Hunter - 09

Paprika showing how it's done, even though it was a poser. Not sure I like the cop out with the candle sequence of just blowing out the opponents flame. Witty, but anticlimactic.
I do like how this obstacle is time consuming since they've spent roughly 2 episodes on this alone. They got the time I suppose, it's 148 episodes after all.

Hahahah hah.

That's HxH thing. Wits and
anticlimaxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom