• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shin Mazinger Z - 19

B9iMN66IIAI_ap6.png:large
B9iMZ0mIUAEDzwx.png:large

Please watch this show.

That and the entire scene that followed afterwards was one of the funniest moments in this show.

That and there was this other scene that involved an image that's kinda NSFW, not take any chances by posting it, but it was hilarious nonetheless.

Those were the comedy bits of this episode. Now for the other stuff!

OOOOOHHHHHHHH BOY.

So basically Kabuto's dad is back, with a whole new (well, technically old) robot to boot! That and Tsubasa is now seeing the ghost of her brother Tetsuya who was summoned by Pygman.

This show. What a fun ride this show is.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 118

In an historic moment that took 118 episodes, somebody acknowledges how short the skirts the Starlight Academy uniforms have are.

Aikatsu! 119

They keep panning to Miyabi's uniform on the wall. Will her putting it on be like this huge occasion or something? Not like it's gonna matter since they're shipping her back to Kyoto in a few weeks.

That wasn't Mekaku's downfall. Shaft is awesome. They're being awesome this very season.

Budget wise it sure is, plus they screwed up some of the songs and kinda screwed up the direction of the story.

Anyways Shaft are great when they try, but when they don't you get an incomplete package such as Mekakucity Actors.

Midonin

Blaming the studio as a monolithic entity may be a quick shortcut the fandom often takes, but I'm sure the actual cause is more specific than that.

Blaming the studio as a monolithic entity may be a quick shortcut the fandom often takes, but I'm sure the actual cause is more specific than that.

I can't really say whether Shaft or the source should be blamed for the direction and pacing, but I don't think Shaft is blameless for the anime not being good. There were some parts that showed Shaft clearly had to rush some stuff, like the entirely CG sequence for one of the songs.

FluxWaveZ

Hyouka - 01
Eh, not an immediately engaging episode. Decided to try this out because of the praises I'd heard thrown its way, and because the premise was similar to other stories I've enjoyed in the past. I was kind of alright with the protagonist until it became apparent that the girl's going to be some kind of driving force regarding his values. Don't really like any of the characters except for Fukube, surprisingly, since I tend to feel rather indifferent towards the "jokey best friend" type.

It's only the first episode, though, so it's not like I know much about where this is going. The only other anime I've seen which originated from a novel was Welcome to the N.H.K., and that's one of my favorites.

Mushi-Shi - 5

Wow, I wasn't expecting continuity to be in this. I thought each episode of this show would be its own thing, unrelated to each other. Not that that's a bad thing, though.

Still, I can't say I was as invested in this episode as I was the last four. I guess the theme of this episode just didn't have that much weight to it in comparison.

It was still a pretty good episode though.

sonicmj1

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 14-16

You guys weren't kidding about Space Vietnam. From the opening scene of a somewhat-open supply boat steaming through a jungle river playing rock music, then getting ambushed onward, the Vietnam cliches are out in full force.

Chirico seems much more at home here. As someone who has spent their life on the battlefield, this is a place he understands. It's not like he's a different person, but he's capable of being friendly and joking around in a way that he could never do in Woodo.

His search for Fyana is still pretty compelling, but I do kind of wonder how much they'll get into the politics of the civil war he threw himself into. Even without much obvious violence, Kan-Yu's interrogation of the villagers felt tense and brutal.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 14-16

You guys weren't kidding about Space Vietnam. From the opening scene of a somewhat-open supply boat steaming through a jungle river playing rock music, then getting ambushed onward, the Vietnam cliches are out in full force.

Chirico seems much more at home here. As someone who has spent their life on the battlefield, this is a place he understands. It's not like he's a different person, but he's capable of being friendly and joking around in a way that he could never do in Woodo.

His search for Fyana is still pretty compelling, but I do kind of wonder how much they'll get into the politics of the civil war he threw himself into. Even without much obvious violence, Kan-Yu's interrogation of the villagers felt tense and brutal.

best arc. time to finish the series!

Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei S1 Ep1-6

Best series.

Rainy

Banned
Koufuku Graffiti 4

Nice episode. Got to learn more about the Grandma and saw more delicious food. The endless rain was a plus. (At least for me :p)

So hungry...

DEATH™

Guys, here's some CR passes... please take them since some of them expired even when I gave it away...

38Y74X73KZC
QP3GAFEKDFK
U7KWCA5GEWU

Conan-san

Unless it's Toei on a non PrreCure Project at which point yeah, it's totally their fault.

Even stuff like that French magical girl cartoon going, and I am using this phrase very specifically, 3D Pig Disgusting.

They are like Bart losing against Thanksgiving.

Milky Holmes 8-9

a27e2ef411.jpg

I think this captures just how "special they are"

I mean wow, like I don't know what the P.C. term to call them for their.... stupidity...."Educationally Sub-Normal". Their IQ is a major contributor to this shows humor, but that's not to say there isn't disturbing imagry
Dick Nipples

It's also a bit raunchy. Again, in some rather disturbing imagry. But I feel like... I can't believe that I missed this show.

Kokoro was a major shit though, causing their sickness.

But holy shit at that Sherlock battle. This show is fucking insane

Saudades

Ocean Waves

I haven't seen Earthsea, Ponyo or even Howl but it's gonna be hard to top this as the worst Ghibli film ever. Heck, probably even the worst anime film I've ever seen.

And I haven't wanted to strangle a female lead this much since Nina Purpleton of 0083's fame.

wonzo

Banned
Ocean Waves

I haven't seen Earthsea, Ponyo or even Howl but it's gonna be hard to top this as the worst Ghibli film ever. Heck, probably even the worst anime film I've ever seen.

And I haven't wanted to strangle a female lead this much since Nina Purpleton of 0083's fame.
ocean waves is great tho

Ocean Waves

Really? I liked Ocean Waves a lot. Definitely way more than Pom Poko and Only Yesterday.

Thoraxes

They definitely are using the correct masters on this release now :D

Glad the people who caught it back in July told them about it and it was addressed properly!

2015-02-1101.58.48x3olt.jpg

/XX/

So you can't even completely read the books in English. I guess that leaves the anime. That's all been subbed right?
Yeah!

10k in general seems really low however. Is that a typical number for best sellers?
Ah I know. I just dont have any other frame of reference. Like I'm used to hearing that 200k for some video games can be a flop, so not sure the amount an anime studio likes to aim for when it comes to sales. Glad to hear that its successful!
Hikaru Kondō mentioned during a stream of an event featuring a round-table to coincide with the A Letter to Momo Blu-ray & DVD release (http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv108847294) that a sure sign of profitability for common TV shows (don't remember any mention of 'cours', though) only using as a basis 'home video' products sales at nowadays prices was precisely passing the 10,000 copies sold-through threshold, compared to what habitually was considered good enough among fans that was thought to be around the 6,000 mark and up. Coincidentally, this is the same Mr. Kondō whose ufotable studio saw how it was coined the term 'Manabi Line' (まなびライン) after their series Manabi Straight! as a "fail-safe" sign of a production recovering costs through digital disc sales only (2,899 first volume units sold on this case), even if it isn't really applicable to other very specific productions.

As ultimatemegax says, it all depends on specifically planned budgets, forecast synergies between products related to the intellectual property and associated costs during projects difficult to discern without additional input from the production companies, but taking the above mentioned as a basic baseline should be enough although not exactly accurate.

NeonZ

Urusei Yatsura 3

All these characters already. I wish we'd get some episodes focused primarily on the main three.

The series was initially meant to focus on different guest aliens every story. It doesn't take long to drop that format though, once Lum starts being pushed as the official love interest and gets a more friendly personality, rather than the trickster that she's in the beginning.

Saudades

ocean waves is great tho

Really? I liked Ocean Waves a lot. Definitely way more than Pom Poko and Only Yesterday.

I'm curious what you guys like about the film, because it's practically irredeemable for me. Can't count how many times I've rolled my eyes over the awkward angsty melodramatic bullshit they pulled. I'd rather watch From up on Poppy Hill again, at least that has the clubhouse plot to distract me from the horrible romance, and its animation and music actually made it easier to sit through.

I'm on a Ghibli marathon since I haven't seen most of their films and I'm about halfway through now. Pom Poko I've seen recently and quite like it, although it did feel like a mess at times. I've seen Only Yesterday hyped as the best Ghibli film so I'm saving it for last.

wonzo

Banned
I'm curious what you guys like about the film, because it's practically irredeemable for me. Can't count how many times I've rolled my eyes over the awkward angsty melodramatic bullshit they pulled.

You must have watched a completely different movie as there's really nothing overtly angsty nor melodramatic about the fairly youthful and carefree tone The Ocean Waves takes in spite of it's subject matter (bullying and divorce). It's an incredibly restrained and naturalistic work, especially when compared to hamfisted tripe like Shigatsu, AnoHana, that awful pa works fish thing, and the dime-a-dozen trash romcom harem LN adaptations that are all the rage these days.

It's by no means a masterclass Ghibli work like Cagliostro, Kiki's, Only Yesterday, Yamadas, or Whisper of the Heart, and it's lacking visually and musically in comparison thanks to it being a project for the younger peeps at Studio Ghibli but it's still a really nice and memorable movie in spite of all that. Easily a far more worthwhile experience than the lesser Ghibli things like earthsea, cat returns, howls, arrietty, poppy hill and most definitely marnie going by critical reception.

I'm curious what you guys like about the film, because it's practically irredeemable for me. Can't count how many times I've rolled my eyes over the awkward angsty melodramatic bullshit they pulled. I'd rather watch From up on Poppy Hill again, at least that has the clubhouse plot to distract me from the horrible romance, and its animation and music actually made it easier to sit through.

Huh, can't recall it being especially bad in that regard.

I'm curious, how in god's name do you find this info out? I can't find the production committee info anywhere.
There's a few credits to look for and to do further research. Generally the important companies will have a producer credited for the show, but Kadokawa shows tend to only list theirs and maybe one other company at best. That's when you cross-check the people listed under Planning or Production to see the order. It's a good amount of research to go through each and every person, which is why not a lot of people do it.

At least it's not Aniplex, so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg to get a Blu-ray.
And at the same time, you're giving Sentai less money for them to send back to Japan for a show you love.

dan2026

DEATH™;151560239 said:
Guys, here's some CR passes... please take them since some of them expired even when I gave it away...

38Y74X73KZC
QP3GAFEKDFK
U7KWCA5GEWU

Thanks dude.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode 18:

Yea, really didn't matter how much forced backstory you threw in there GBF Try, I still didn't care since at the end of the day it was more about putting over the Gunpla Academy over as the final boss then anything else. That being said the second half was a pretty decent battle, not amazing, but still decent enough.
Looks like Team Try Fighters are going to be fighting their equivalent of Sasuke from Naruto next episode and hi random and pointless China cameo, nice to see you.

jgminto

Gundam Build Fighters Try 18
Star Winning Gundam secretly hype as fuck. That was a decent end to the battle seeing as the triplets were a total scrub team with no chance of winning and couldn't even stack up against c-rank fighters of the previous season.

Saudades

You must have watched a completely different movie as there's really nothing overtly angsty nor melodramatic about the fairly youthful and carefree tone The Ocean Waves takes in spite of it's subject matter (bullying and divorce). It's an incredibly restrained and naturalistic work, especially when compared to hamfisted tripe like Shigatsu, AnoHana, that awful pa works fish thing, and the dime-a-dozen trash romcom harem LN adaptations that are all the rage these days.

It's by no means a masterclass Ghibli work like Cagliostro, Kiki's, Only Yesterday, Yamadas, or Whisper of the Heart, and it's lacking visually and musically in comparison thanks to it being a project for the younger peeps at Studio Ghibli but it's still a really nice and memorable movie in spite of all that. Easily a far more worthwhile experience than the lesser Ghibli things like earthsea, cat returns, howls, arrietty, poppy hill and most definitely marnie going by critical reception.

We really did see different movies here. What you see as bullying I see as one selfish girl shunning away her friends with her attitude because her life kinda sucks. Boo freaking hoo. And there really isn't that much bullying involved, she just keeps herself from everyone until that confrontation in which her friends call her out on her shitty attitude (and they don't even know the half of it). The only really mean thing they did is imply that she flirts with another guy in class, and that was because she spreads that news about her going to a hotel with the main guy to begin with. Also blame it on the short runtime but I think both of those issues (the bullying and divorce) were basically glazed over.

And being restrained and natural about such a casual setting as some kids' school days is one thing, but being a total bore about it is another. Every character in this piece has such one-note personality. Take the protagonists - the guy is a goody-two-shoes yes man and the girl is a total stuck-up bitch, they pretty much have no chemistry whatsoever, and they act like stupid high school kids just as I expect them to be. I'm not asking for Aku no Hana's sociopaths here but come on. This is the shortest Ghibli films but it felt like the longest - I was even begging it to end at one point.

Although I admit after skimming the movie again I do hate it a little bit less. I misunderstood some characters' motivation on my first watch cause goddamn, it was hard to distinguish between the main girl's bitchy attitude and her way of expressing her feelings for the main guy.

From what I've seen I do concur that The Cat Returns, Arrietty and Poppycock Hill are meh (and probably Howl and Earthsea too, given their infamous rep), but I think we'll just have to disagree on Ocean Waves. Some of the above might be bad but this one takes the cake.

Huh, can't recall it being especially bad in that regard.

I think that comment was a bit overblown, but I did roll my eyes like every 2 minutes while watching this. Guess I just hate the way everyone acts in this movie, especially the female lead.

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! ‒ Episode 6
B9hPl4lIQAI5ESu.png

Easily my favorite episode. Io and Ryuu friendship levels was high and even though much of it could be predicted, it was done so well. I love seeing Ryuu get fired up.

The censoring thing never gets old.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 18

Sei now directly helping Team Try Fighters smfh at this conflict of interest

Those people who called
Fumina's SD being able to turn into a full size Gunpla were on the money.

Every time I think Sekai is going to do an Erupting Burning Finger and it's just a tease. They have to know, right? He gathered fire in his fist for God's sake!

Pretty good episode, highlight was the Real Mode.

Barakamon Episode 2

Hiroshi is a great addition to the cast and I like how he is so impressed over Handa's talent. Though even if Handa has difficulty with thinking he is talented. Perhaps someday he can feel appreciated, and maybe Hiroshi can find what he can do to succeed in life as well.

The Idol Master 21

They finally stood up to that president. Good riddance. The relationship between the presidents is really half baked, I don't see why they needed to add it. Also why are their faces always hidden? Are they supposed to be the players in the games?

Does every female character in this series have a talent for singing? Kotori's thing was just an unneeded addition. At least Chihaya's performance was good.

The Idol Master 22

Another aspect of the 765 production that has been bothering me is how it functions. Everyone seems to be getting different jobs but they became popular when they were a unit. However, they don't really have a name so I guess they aren't a unit. Haruka is admirable for trying to keep the group together yet they were never a group in the first place.

Aria 05

Almost feels like a flying pig could turn up at any moment :p

A beautiful beach, nice weather and girls in swimsuits, that could only mean one thing... A day of training. Luckily it's not all work and no play though.

And Manhome seems to be a bad place since you can't even swim in the sea.

phaze

Strike Witches 5

It's a beach episode.

It was pretty tame actually. The bath scene from the previous ep was way, way worse. When your every other episode is like a beach one already, you don't have a whole lot of cards left to play.

Our protag dreams of breasts, sexually harasses a few characters, is finally outed as a pervert. Meanwhile, this episode's focus; Shirley breaks the speed of sound with the help of her Italian scientist and defeats the shockingly unexpected Neuroi attack. Losing her clothes in the process for some reason. Fin.

Pretty standard SW fare.

Deadman Wonderland 01-02

Haha I didn't have high expectations but this was just something else. The most ridicoulous premise ever conceived supported by awful characters and shitty dialogue.

Well the second episode was funny at times so I imagine this is how this is supposed to be enjoyed. I refuse to believe anyone could write this with a straight face.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also why are their faces always hidden? Are they supposed to be the players in the games?
The player is the producer. The presidents' faces (more 765's) being hidden seems to be a running joke. The bad one was a shadowy character in the games so they just kept that aspect.

I wonder if approaching iM@S with the anime first vs the game gives you a different feeling for the producer character. As an anime viewer I just view him as a character but for a game player he is the self insert.

Jex

I always thought the reason Titan got so popular in the West was the first OP (17m views on the highest one, 2-3m on multiple other videos of the OP) and all the parody videos.

The premise and strong opening episodes probably helped too but I wonder how many people dropped it at the boulder

...but to be fair the opening is pretty awesome

The show has a strong opener and a really damn good hook and it doesn't look too "Japanease". That's enough to get it rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom