• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Demi-Chan 4
Succubus Sensei is thirsty. We need to see her in full succubus mode though.

New pickups from the Discotek sale.
C3S0aTXWEAIegk0.jpg

HEYBOT! 18

lDwr9aH.jpg
4KQd54i.jpg

the gag at the end of the episode is that heybot and nejiru arent the protagonists anymore for a week, so until the next episode so nothing happens. brilliant

Its like a Heybot version of that one episode of The Simpsons where Frank Grimes has to see Homer coast by because of his protagonist powers.

Alright alright, catching up on backlog today because I can't sleep.

Kobayashi Madtits 1-3

I really like the manga and as a result am super pleasantly surprised that the adaptation is actually...really really good thus far. I'm sorta surprised that they decided this would be the anime they would drop their stunning visuals on because to be frank while I like Cool Kyoushita's art, it's never been like...stunning work to look at. It's like OPM by Murata; the manga is good enough art, but the anime is fucking ridiculously good looking.

And since it's a good adaptation of a manga I already enjoyed I don't really have much to say on the front about liking it. Kobayashi has always been a slice of life/nothing happens manga that I could get into whereas other SoL shows or shows many refer to as "soft" or "comfy" shows didn't work for me. I'm trying to think what the difference is that makes this and shit like Barakamon work for me. Maybe because they still have underlying plot threads, there's progression and their settings are still unique enough I suppose. I'm trying to puzzle it out. I don't read/watch it due to it being a laugh riot as it mostly keeps me amused in that safe Japanese "smile while watching" kind of way. I do think Kobayashi carries enough differences in the formula for me to take notice such as the MC being a female, in her 20s programmer who is drawn to look it. Stuff like dragons being fishes out of water and adapting to normal life is always a fun set up for me, much like Devil is a Part-timer or shows of that nature. But that's apparently not enough to entertain me as things like Flying Witch didn't grip me (though I do read the manga for that) and I'm the sole person on Earth who found Ika Musume both unfunny and boring.

Well whatever makes me like the manga, the show continues strong. I think PK was saying earlier that he preferred the anime and at this point if it continues the quality of these first three episodes I'd be inclined to agree with him. The anime does a very good job hitting the emotional notes much stronger than the manga did due to the superior visuals as well as solid voice acting and direction. I'm just sorta impressed all around at the care and quality of what they're putting out for something I wasn't aware was even that popular.

Is sorta weird they decided to move Kobayashi tho. That's...not from the manga and doesn't seem necessary?

The ED is super cute too.

Judging by the intro it looks like they'll stop before one of the more serious arcs/characters is introduced but after a dragon in the opening appears which means it's going to cover a lot of ground. I actually like that it's not a short despite the manga being a gag manga that seems prime for short material, because the manga often carries a succinct storyline or plot through most of it's chapters as well as personally just not being into shorts. I am sorta confused they just spoil the dragons in the OP and ED to be honest, especially one of them, but it's whatever. Lucoa still the best (especially after some of the latest chapters) and we'll have to wait til the 2nd season for
Fat Tits Evil Loli Dragon
. Don't click that spoiler if you don't wanna know what another character is like later in the manga.

Kobayashi Madtits 1-3

Well whatever makes me like the manga, the show continues strong. I think PK was saying earlier that he preferred the anime and at this point if it continues the quality of these first three episodes I'd be inclined to agree with him. The anime does a very good job hitting the emotional notes much stronger than the manga did due to the superior visuals as well as solid voice acting and direction. I'm just sorta impressed all around at the care and quality of what they're putting out for something I wasn't aware was even that popular.

The care and quality invested into an anime adaptation has no correlation with the popularity of the original source material.

Obviously a show can be great from the work and care put in, as well as superior direction, divorced from the source material but I would imagine there'd be some correlation between how popular something is and how much focus/budget/attention it gets. It's not a correlation of quality but of the things that make it easier to produce a quality product (money/staff/high profile people).

Like how Hunger Games was super popular with teens so it got a big budget movie series, whereas a smaller book series like The Magicians gets a SyFy original series.

...huh, might've just disproven my own point there...

There's no hard and fast rule for it (obviously America breaks this trend a bunch), it just seemed odd to me to be like "Yes, this manga by a Titfuck Fetishist Hentai Author is kinda unique and does moderately okay in sales, let's make this a fucking baller ass anime" I'm glad of it, it just tripped me up a bit.

Obviously a show can be great from the work and care put in, as well as superior direction, divorced from the source material but I would imagine there'd be some correlation between how popular something is and how much focus/budget/attention it gets. It's not a correlation of quality but of the things that make it easier to produce a quality product (money/staff/high profile people).

Like how Hunger Games was super popular with teens so it got a big budget movie series, whereas a smaller book series like The Magicians gets a SyFy original series.

There's no hard and fast rule for it (obviously America breaks this trend a bunch), it just seemed odd to me to be like "Yes, this manga by a Titfuck Fetishist Hentai Author is kinda unique and does moderately okay in sales, let's make this a fucking baller ass anime" I'm glad of it, it just tripped me up a bit.

I understand why it seems odd, but popular franchises can stay popular even if their anime adaptations are mediocre or worse - e.g., One Piece, Assassination Classroom, Ace Attorney, Persona. This removes some of the motivation producers might otherwise have to get strong talent working on an adaptation. In fact, it seems to me to be more likely that less popular manga/novels would get strong, motivated staff to work on anime adaptations, since in that case people may be more motivated by love of the material rather than purely trying to cash in on its popularity - e.g., Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. In the end, the anime industry is not a rational entity.

Dai Guard Episode 4

I like how Shirota seems like he starting to warm up to the Dai Guard pilots, I hope he continues this way, if he does, he will easily become by favorite.

Ibuki had good development though I wanted more with her father, he seemed like he actually supports her role in Dai Guard, why else watch the Dai Guard cartoon?

I understand why it seems odd, but popular franchises can stay popular even if their anime adaptations are mediocre or worse - e.g., One Piece, Assassination Classroom, Ace Attorney, Persona. This removes some of the motivation producers might otherwise have to get strong talent working on an adaptation. In fact, it seems to me to be more likely that less popular manga/novels would get strong, motivated staff to work on anime adaptations, since in that case people may be more motivated by love of the material rather than purely trying to cash in on its popularity - e.g., Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. In the end, the anime industry is not a rational entity.

That is...exceptionally true.

Jarmel

Banned

The anime industry has atrocious allocation of talent.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well I don't know if atrocious is quite right. I'd rather the talent go to Rakugo and Maid Dragon than One Piece and AssClass.

Kobayashi Madtits 1-3

And since it's a good adaptation of a manga I already enjoyed I don't really have much to say on the front about liking it. Kobayashi has always been a slice of life/nothing happens manga that I could get into whereas other SoL shows or shows many refer to as "soft" or "comfy" shows didn't work for me. I'm trying to think what the difference is that makes this and shit like Barakamon work for me. Maybe because they still have underlying plot threads, there's progression and their settings are still unique enough I suppose. I'm trying to puzzle it out. I don't read/watch it due to it being a laugh riot as it mostly keeps me amused in that safe Japanese "smile while watching" kind of way. I do think Kobayashi carries enough differences in the formula for me to take notice such as the MC being a female, in her 20s programmer who is drawn to look it. Stuff like dragons being fishes out of water and adapting to normal life is always a fun set up for me, much like Devil is a Part-timer or shows of that nature. But that's apparently not enough to entertain me as things like Flying Witch didn't grip me (though I do read the manga for that) and I'm the sole person on Earth who found Ika Musume both unfunny and boring.

One thing to note is that both Maid Dragon and Barakamon have very strong set-up for character growth. Tohru is a dragon who never quite fit in in her fantasy world and found home instead in a mundane programmer's place. Handa is an artist who lost his direction and is exiled to a quiet countryside, hopefully to find his muse. In comparison, Ika Musume is a sea creature who wants to punish humanity for polluting the sea because of whatever in order to who knows.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 41

The great battle begins once more. It was pretty obvious Beauty would win this time with how the episode was set up. At least it wasn't yet another Song sweep. You can tell Tsubasa is serious when she's carrying her entire team by herself. But for being in the Theater class she doesn't have much in the way of theatrics. Like riding a dolphin out of nowhere. How did Yuzu steal that? And damn it, we just missed a new Tsubasa song. We better get that later. Yozora knows how to shine. Mahiru has a ways to go.

Cornbread78

Fuuka ep.5
Well, looks like everything is piecing together nicely for the band, but is this dude building a harem of his own or what? The ladies just keep tripping over themselves for the scrub.

Jintor

nah i only like ika musume for the puns

flying witch was also purely chill-out for me since it didn't go anywhere or do anything.

One thing to note is that both Maid Dragon and Barakamon have very strong set-up for character growth. Tohru is a dragon who never quite fit in in her fantasy world and found home instead in a mundane programmer's place. Handa is an artist who lost his direction and is exiled to a quiet countryside, hopefully to find his muse. In comparison, Ika Musume is a sea creature who wants to punish humanity for polluting the sea because of whatever in order to who knows.

Also true. Kobayashi, Tooru, Kanna and...some others...get some consistent development.

I didn't screen cap it cause I'm lazy and moving on to other backlogs now but I really like what they did with Lucoa's eyes in the anime. In the manga they're the same, but uncolored in Cool's style you don't really get an idea of how unsettling they are.

Quasar

Fuuka ep.5
Well, looks like everything is piecing together nicely for the band, but is this dude building a harem of his own or what? The ladies just keep tripping over themselves for the scrub.

I'll admit I did like the whole twitter thing. Actually that's true of the story overall. I find the strong visible use of twitter interesting. Normally I would have expected them to use a name altered vine or something.

Quasar

Though in the US a cable show is kind of the premium place now. Hence you see movie talent going a lot to cable now, where in the pass that was seen as slumming it.

I love Magicians btw :)

Syfy really has gotten its mojo back lately.

Thoraxes

The second cour of Bungou Stray Dogs has stayed with me for a while now and I really need to put forth some ideas about the show just to get it out of my system.. Igarashi and Enokido outdid themselves in how they approached the second cour, having adapted the light novel Dazai Osamu And The Dark Era...

... It’s a symbol of hope and It’s not until here that we can fully appreciate the poignancy of the show’s title as well as the irony of Osamu Dazai authoring a scenario where the stray dogs of society, bereft of both hope and a future, are given a chance to prove that they are, in fact, not disqualified from being human.

Good shit man. Thanks for the awesome analysis/writeup!

Little Witch Academia 1

Wow.

If you ever want to make an anime must follow for me just take notes on this first episode.

I'm sure plenty of people have talked about this but there was an incredible fluidity to the animation that was gorgeous to watch.

Also please tell me that fishbowl teacher shows up again.

I'd write more but I'm in bed watching the next two.

Cornbread78

Interviews with Monsta girls ep.4
Poor succubus-sensei has got it bad for sensei. Too bad she got completely stone-walled with the hug attempt, lol. The show continues to dance on that line, but it's still pretty fun though.

I'll admit I did like the whole twitter thing. Actually that's true of the story overall. I find the strong visible use of twitter interesting. Normally I would have expected them to use a name altered vine or something.

Yeah, that whole family restaurant scene was pretty funny. Sometimes you just can't hide behind that cyber wall, lol.

Rakugo #4
Meh

Not seeing the issue people had here.
And I apologize if I've misconstrued sarcasm or something
This mentality, even today, is common among older women. I don't find it surprising at all that after years of living with Yakumo, who's so married to traditions to the point he's prepared to kill the very art form, and who we've seen constantly, from her childhood, berate Konatsu about how women don't perform Rakugo, would eventually develop a mentality that actively puts herself down.

Sure, its sexist, but its real
heck, its part of why a lot of women voted Trump. President is a 'man's' job. Though you'd think woman > manbaby, but I digress.
and I think its a really sad moment in the episode as you see that Konatsu has had her dream basically beaten out of her. And it's what makes the end of the episode so powerful to see her get that chance through the support of Yotaro and rediscover her passion.

Aw Christ, i had to look up which one that was and now I'm upset about it again like I was the first time around.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Little Witch Academia 3

Holy shit, this was a Looney Tunes episode.

Also, they're really making it obvious that Ursula is
Shining Chariot
aren't they? Unless I'm way off.

So after having it sit on my queue for the past few months, I finally watched Gangsta today. I knew going in that it was apparently Studio ManGlobe's last series before they went bankrupt. What I didn't expect was the series to end in a cliffhanger. Which was a shame because I thought it was pretty solid all around.

JulianImp

Mawaru Penguindrum - #1-12
Bravo. The main character's glaring flaws, the ways they play off of each other and the vague plot thread tying it all together have resulted in a damn interesting series, IMO. Scene transitions are often pretty nice and dynamic as well, and the way they sometimes use of signs to do so kind of reminds me of SHAFT.

I actually tried to start Utena before this but it didn't really click with me nearly as fast as Penguindrum, so I'll probably be leaving that one for later.

Aki-at

A minor break from Yakuza 0

Barakamon - 5

Really kids, an hour of writing sends you shivers? Episode was filled with great reaction faces from Tamako through out, I wonder how Handa thinking she's after Hiro is going to play out too Surely the feminine chap at the end is also just going to add to Tamako's shipping fanfiction :p

Narag

Kuromukuro 23

It's kinda funny how every time this show seriouses the fuck up, it quickly reminds me how anime it really is. This show might handle cultural integration better than Gargantia too since UN forces the concept and characters like Kennosuke & Muetta can play off one another as two strangers from different societies trying to integrate into the one before them.

Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Episode 3

Best of the episodes that dont have much rakugo, good development. Probably yelling at the big boss and calling him silly names will be the most memorable thing this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom