• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the people most upset about Yuri on Ice's performance, like the people over in the OT thread, would prefer some battle shounen like My Hero Academia or Jojo get the top nod.

There's a long history of this sort of thing, sadly.

Jjba ought not have won, the final arc blatantly copied re:zero.

HeroAca s2 would be a better award winner in 2017 since things never really took off in s1.

Narag

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 9
dYc2qRPl.png

It's been at least a week and a half since I'd last seen so many people put on blast in such a short amount of time.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 16

the last episode wasn't enough of a emotional build up, Jasley is clearly an Okada surrogate

faridmon

Hyouka 1- 22 FINAL

That was most run of the mill show i remember watching the last few months. Very safe and very Kyoani with no real ambitions whatsoever. It was just boring in large part of it. Some mysteries were better than others (Did really liked the one where the club was tasked to finish the Film project!) but overall it was empty, and the characterisation was just hollow.

The animation, however, was freaking incredible. The visuals overall was just a treat.

I suspect the people most upset about Yuri on Ice's performance, like the people over in the OT thread, would prefer some battle shounen like My Hero Academia or Jojo get the top nod.

There's a long history of this sort of thing, sadly.

MHA doesn't even come close in terms of popularity. There are two key factors to being a breakout hit: being outstanding in a certain aspect and/or being able to attract a sizeable fanbase as you air or even after.

MHA comparatively failed at both while YoI excelled at both.

phaze

Hyouka 1- 22 FINAL

That was most run of the mill show i remember watching the last few months. Very safe and very Kyoani with no real ambitions whatsoever. It was just boring in large part of it. Some mysteries were better than others (Did really liked the one where the club was tasked to finish the Film project!) but overall it was empty, and the characterisation was just hollow.

Prepare to get thoroughly lambasted my PL suffering friend.

Grimgar 02

Goblins2stronk.

Might need to watch it in its entirety just for the backgrounds.

blurr

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 04

If Konatsu's more coy and mom side wasn't charming enough, you have her son, who is even more adorable. It's a delight to see him get along with everyone.

Really good performance by Konatsu, real sham she isn't keen on pursuing Rakugo further for those reasons.

Narag

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 11
Young Konatsu is such a treasure. The performance Kiku and Sukeroku put on for her might end up my favorite of the show given how intensely personal it was too.

lol @ DTL

Anyway, loved this episode of Dragon Ball Super. Making Kuriring great again! (kinda of). Personally, I sometimes enjoy more this SoL stuff in the show than the sagas. But I am hyped for the next arc, can't wait for next week..

MHA doesn't even come close in terms of popularity. There are two key factors to being a breakout hit: being outstanding in a certain aspect and/or being able to attract a sizeable fanbase as you air or even after.

I don't know how you're able to conclude that Yuri on Ice is truly more popular than HeroAca. What would you use to measure that? I hate to compare sales but more volumes of HeroAca v1 have been sold than a disc of Yuri on ice. There's also no way to say HeroAca has a smaller or larger fan base than Yuri on ice.

I don't even think the poll let you choose two or three choices. What if people liked multiple shows?

Taruranto

Not seeing the issue people had here.
And I apologize if I've misconstrued sarcasm or something
This mentality, even today, is common among older women. I don't find it surprising at all that after years of living with Yakumo, who's so married to traditions to the point he's prepared to kill the very art form, and who we've seen constantly, from her childhood, berate Konatsu about how women don't perform Rakugo, would eventually develop a mentality that actively puts herself down.

Sure, its sexist, but its real
heck, its part of why a lot of women voted Trump. President is a 'man's' job. Though you'd think woman > manbaby, but I digress.
and I think its a really sad moment in the episode as you see that Konatsu has had her dream basically beaten out of her. And it's what makes the end of the episode so powerful to see her get that chance through the support of Yotaro and rediscover her passion.

It's just lame to see a character giving up on her life-long dream after putting up a killer performance because she basically doesn't want to interrupt the circle-jerk.

How can you be so sure MHA isnt popular in the CR/funimation market? I checked recently and MHA was still the #2 most popular show on funimation's site, one year after it started airing. It was also in the top spots of many community polls. Also yea, wasn't MHA one of the best selling franchise(including manga) of 2016?

Clov

The only mafia anime you should watch is Baccano! anyway.

I literally can't think of any better anime that's mafia themed. Most of the ones I've watched have been disappointing on some level. Seriously, Baccano's great! I need to pick up that Japanese BD-Box of it sometime...

Speaking of Bacano! I really hope aniplex will put it up on CR soon. I have been reading the novels recently and I really need to re-hear Isaac and Miria english voices and re-watch some of their best moments.

Finally been catching up on anime after a busy week. I've enjoyed Tanya to my surprise. Also interview with monster girls and Konosuba. Also fuuka. It's a good season so far from the little I've watched

Yes but the category that matters the most: Best Girl. Rem(from Re: Zero) won and every anime fan knows best girl is the only category anyone actually cares about or will remember.

Sterok

Gundam Iruon-Blooded Orphans S2 16

Atra putting on the moves. Mika putting on the moves. It's probably a bad idea for them to do it, but considering what else happened maybe Atra should do something sooner rather than later. Akihiro/Lafter was always the cutest pair in the show. The big goof really didn't know how to handle any of this. Lafter wasn't sure what she wanted to do with him, but maybe something could happen once they were older and everything settled down. But that would be a happy ending, and we can't have that. Definitely not happy with how Lafter was killed. Jalsey and Iok continue to poke the beast. Tekkadan has little reason to trust Teiwaz now, so their lot is thrown in with McGillis. No way that can go wrong. Looking forward to Akihiro rampage 2.0.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
To be honest, it could be worst. At least Yuri on Ice is remotely good.

Can't deny that.

Demi chan wa kataritai 4
A bit heavier than previous episode considering this episode talk about the hardship of being demi, mostly the feeling of etting left out or not normal.

Succy sensei not getting that hug is a big mistake.

Sciel

Zesteria the X Season 2 EP4.

I really disliked Sorey's pacifism in this episode,
"NO YOU MUSN'T KILL WHATEVER THE REASON". He's really such a marty-stu. I'm playing Berseria now and the cast is such a breath of fresh air compared to Zesteria's.

Gundam Iruon-Blooded Orphans S2 16

Atra putting on the moves. Mika putting on the moves. It's probably a bad idea for them to do it, but considering what else happened maybe Atra should do something sooner rather than later. Akihiro/Lafter was always the cutest pair in the show. The big goof really didn't know how to handle any of this. Lafter wasn't sure what she wanted to do with him, but maybe something could happen once they were older and everything settled down. But that would be a happy ending, and we can't have that. Definitely not happy with how Lafter was killed. Jalsey and Iok continue to poke the beast. Tekkadan has little reason to trust Teiwaz now, so their lot is thrown in with McGillis. No way that can go wrong. Looking forward to Akihiro rampage 2.0.
It was a really really awful way for them to kill off Laftar. If they wanted to kill her off, they should really have written it so she dies in a mobile suit battle or something.....(you know...like the battle in the previous episode -_-;).

Then what is Macross 7 or Macross II for that matter (both of those being way worse imo).

Good to know I have a new Macross to look forward to though.

Macross 7 is amazing and really popular so that's a bizarre one to bring up. Macross II is a non-canon entry and basically Macross' Snake's Revenge.

phaze

The Boy and the Beast

This was mostly a mess. Way too many things in the mix with none of them handled all that well and the subtlety of a hand grenade in telling the story. Not only does the Moby Dick book show up a good number of times, it's meaning is spoonfed to you and the last boss is an Uchiha a giant whale. So deep. There was also this cringy beyond belief speech from Kaede in the climax, something about darkness in people's hearts, greed and that "we won't lose to you !!!!!" that left me curling up in my seat and in disbelief. blergh

blurr

I can just wrap up Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou with the time I have before the end of the month but I've more or less fully updated my AotY list since I had finished Kuromukuro.

I wish I could've finished Grimgar, Tanaka-kun and watched Bungo Stray Dogs.

duckroll

Tales of Zestiria the X - Episode 16

Wooooooooooow Ufotable is really delivering on the action. That was pretty damn awesome. The backgrounds are really good too. Love all the detail and colors. So errrr... erm.... I don't understand the logic in the story here. Why the hell does Slay even care if bad people are getting killed like the bitches they are? Lame!

Crocodile

Gundam Tekketsu 41

I'm usually loathe to be super anal about spoilers but you don't think you could've done a better job with this? I mean I've been avoiding the Gundam topic in OT for a reason and its been only like a week - that was a pretty major event you didn't even have to mention in your post at all or could have also spoiler barred :/

Almost 20 years later and Aisha is still one of the best cat-girls in anime <3

Iron Blooded Orphans episode 41 (Season 2 Episode 16)

Well shit, IBO really has become the anime equivalent of Game of Thrones.
Just when you think you have a breather episode, Lafter ends up getting fridged at the end. I was really hoping the Turbine trio would've ended up joining Tekkadan full time, so this ended up coming off as needlessly cruel. To give IBO credit, I do think they've created some really hateable villains in Iok and Jasley.

Jex

The Boy and the Beast

This was mostly a mess. Way too many things in the mix with none of them handled all that well and the subtlety of a hand grenade in telling the story. Not only does the Moby Dick book show up a good number of times, it's meaning is spoonfed to you and the last boss is an Uchiha a giant whale. So deep. There was also this cringy beyond belief speech from Kaede in the climax, something about darkness in people's hearts, greed and that "we won't lose to you !!!!!" that left me curling up in my seat and in disbelief. blergh

That all sounds about right. It just felt like there was too much going on in that story - a surprising problem for Hosoda after the narrative simplicity of Wolf's Children.

That all sounds about right. It just felt like there was too much going on in that story - a surprising problem for Hosoda after the narrative simplicity of Wolf's Children.

At the showing of Wolf Children I saw Hosoda did say he wanted to make his next film such that viewers would be surprised it was from the director of Wolf Children. Perhaps this was his attempt to do so?

Wooooooooooow Ufotable is really delivering on the action. That was pretty damn awesome. The backgrounds are really good too. Love all the detail and colors. So errrr... erm.... I don't understand the logic in the story here. Why the hell does Slay even care if bad people are getting killed like the bitches they are? Lame!
Not having watched the episode yet, I believe it is because he believes in the good of all beings. He's made it clear up to now that he'd purify evil rather than kill it

kewlmyc

Because he's your standard jRPG protagonist.

phaze

The timeskip and Kaede / real world stuff made for a surprising curveball in what seemed like a 100% by the book effort but at the same time, it undercut even the core Kyuuta-Kumatetsu (that barely works at this point anyway) relationship for me while not giving much in return.

Cause he's jesus duh.

-----

My AOTY Top10 turned out to be Top9. Either I'm forgetting about some show or I'll be able to slot Miss Bernard in after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom