• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardfight!! Vanguard G NEXT Episode 9 (engdub)
C3W2wbiWcAIsaZD.jpg:small

Satoru on a team? Nice, he's so different outside of his usual desk job in the previous season. Kind of like him in his working outfit.

Decent cardfight for Kazuma, I guess I kind of like emotional losses, hope it leads to strong development, though he'll probably be the one to lose often while Taiyou and Chrono cover for him.

Tales of Zestiria the X - Episode 16

Wooooooooooow Ufotable is really delivering on the action. That was pretty damn awesome. The backgrounds are really good too. Love all the detail and colors. So errrr... erm.... I don't understand the logic in the story here. Why the hell does Slay even care if bad people are getting killed like the bitches they are? Lame!

Killing creates malevolence which in turn creates hellions. Something Sorey is supposed to stop. Basically the more killing there is the more that area/person is inclined to create/turn into hellions. Hence why war zones are probably the worst thing ever in Zestiria.

kewlmyc

Killing creates malevolence which in turn creates hellions. Something Sorey is supposed to stop.

However, leaving certain people alive causes turmoil and suffering with others, which also leads to malevolence. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

faridmon

Prepare to get thoroughly lambasted my PL suffering friend.

To defend my self, I really don't get along with KyoAni's way of telling stories and their stereotypical looking MCs so there is that.

I only started this because I head its one of their best shows, so I expected a bit more than their typical shows.

Tales of Zestiria 16

Ok Sorety using the eartg armatus to jump and enter that tower was amazing! The action was yet again the best. Loved the moral dilemma here and how Rose realise it with saying *must be hard being a Shepherd* and still continue to try killing her target. Zestiria's world is so good!

Beyblade Episode 6 Dragoon Storm (endub)

Yes, now I just need Kai to win this tournament and it will be all good. Sorry Tyson, but Kai is just so much cooler.

C3XB9ZxXUAAhE0F.jpg:small

Ray just giving up was weird, no hope in winning round 3 or something?

So, Digibro just released a couple of videos about Sound Euphonium. Mainly their controversy. WARNING: Spoilers abound.
First One
Second One

This guy on Hyouka in that second video:

"One of my big complaints about it is that I think it's over-animated."

Hey, that's a cool opinion. I'm just going to put it over here in this cylindrical receptacle where I keep super good opinions I come across. Ignore the soiled tissues and plastic wrapping in there.

phaze

This served to remind me I forgot to put Euphonium in my list.

Mystery solved, thanks Digibro !

Hey, that's a cool opinion. I'm just going to put it over here in this cylindrical receptacle where I keep super good opinions I come across. Ignore the soiled tissues and plastic wrapping in there.

receptacle
[ri-sep-tuh-kuh l]

noun
a container, device, etc., that receives or holds something:
a receptacle for trash.
Botany. the modified or expanded portion of the stem or axis that bears the organs of a single flower or the florets of a flower head.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Jex

At the showing of Wolf Children I saw Hosoda did say he wanted to make his next film such that viewers would be surprised it was from the director of Wolf Children. Perhaps this was his attempt to do so?

I do respect his choice to make a very different film. He clearly has no interest in being a "one note" director. It's just unfortunate that the film that resulted from that was so flawed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He clearly has no interest in being a "one note" director.

Choose your own quip:

1) Unlike a certain other wildly successful director I could mention.

2) Then why is Boy and the Beast so furry?

3) Maybe his "one note" should be "actually good films"

4) All of the above

duckroll

However, leaving certain people alive causes turmoil and suffering with others, which also leads to malevolence. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Not really. It's only one if you consider the outcomes equal. They're not. If you kill one bad person who does a lot of evil, it's still a net positive in the end. I mean ideally you would want to just arrest and imprison bad people, but when the bad people in question are ruling class and immune to the law, assassination is a valid course of action. Slay just sux. Dezel knows what's up.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 50

Final episode, and I don't know how to feel about it.
Well, at least we did get a conclusion to Riko's story. She's a successful teacher now. Nozomi must be jelly. Kotoha is busy being a god. Turning back into kids is lame. I want to see their adult forms, and their adult Precure forms. Those early villains refuse to just die. Wait, KiraKira? Did they just throw a crossover at us? Whip? So KiraKira takes place like 8 years after Maho Girls, and it's completely canon? I know it's just a little gag to promote it, but that still brings up more implications than it should. Of course the next crossover movie is going to completely ignore that happened. Seeing everyone is nice. Principal Riko is cool. And despite the weird episode we end on a standard note.

I'll give my final thoughts on Maho Girls later. But I can safely say I enjoyed the show week after week, even with its flaws. I'm looking forward to what KiraKira has to bring next week.

PK Gaming

So, Digibro just released a couple of videos about Sound Euphonium. Mainly their controversy. WARNING: Spoilers abound.
First One
Second One

Digibro's videos are pretty hit and miss for me, but he's pretty on point here. KyoAni's adaptation of Sound Euphonium was great, but undeniably flawed. They didn't need to shoehorn yuri subtext in order to sell a deep friendship between Reina and Kumiko (a deep friendship that is almost entirely anime original) and they didn't need to completely cut out Shuichi from the show (a major character in the original novels). But whatever. It's blatantly dishonest, but at least Reina's a more interesting than Shuichi so I can somewhat accept the direction. But then S2 decides to completely de-emphasize Kumiko's relationship with Reina and instead focus on Kumiko's relationship with Asuka because???

It's just messy. Messy, messy, messy.

DaiGuard Episode 5 engdub

The future world of 2033 or so using floppy disks still and windows 95 interface is hilarious, surely they could have imagined at least using cds for data and maybe some future random pc interface than windows.

In any case, Shirota and Akagi interaction growing tense, then strong, then tense again is a good cycle. Shirota will just have to put faith in them to make the decisions that really matter.

Moonlight

Banned

digibro has no fucking clue what he's talking about, more news at 11

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The worst thing about Hyouka is that it's almost too good.

Digibro's videos are pretty hit and miss for me, but he's pretty on point here. KyoAni's adaptation of Sound Euphonium was great, but undeniably flawed. They didn't need to shoehorn yuri subtext in order to sell a deep friendship between Reina and Kumiko (a deep friendship that is almost entirely anime original) and they didn't need to completely cut out Shuichi from the show (a major character in the original novels). But whatever. It's blatantly dishonest, but at least Reina's a more interesting than Shuichi so I can somewhat accept the direction. But then S2 decides to completely de-emphasize Kumiko's relationship with Reina and instead focus on Kumiko's relationship with Asuka because???

It's just messy. Messy, messy, messy.

Hold on. Have you read the original Sound Euphonium novels?

Quasar

Macross 7 is amazing and really popular so that's a bizarre one to bring up. Macross II is a non-canon entry and basically Macross' Snake's Revenge.

Yet I know no-one who admits to liking it. Hell even this past weekend, Zac on ANN nominated it as a show he likes that everyone hates.

Yet I know no-one who admits to liking it. Hell even this past weekend, Zac on ANN nominated it as a show he likes that everyone hates.

I'm not talking about the West where like 3 people have even watched it. Though even in this community there have been several fans.

Quasar

I'm not talking about the West where like 3 people have even watched it.

Given where we are I assumed you meant the west. I have no idea how Macross is received in Japan, aside it being popular enough to keep existing.

I guess Delta did well enough to green light another so soon.

PK Gaming

Hold on. Have you read the original Sound Euphonium novels?

Can't understand a lick of Japanese, so no. I just read online summaries / got accounts from people who have read the novels. Regarding the bolded, prominent changes include
the end of season 1, where Shuichi is replaced by Reina, and the end of season 2 where Kumiko is supposed to confess to Shuichi.

Given where we are I assumed you meant the west. I have no idea how Macross is received in Japan, aside it being popular enough to keep existing.

I guess Delta did well enough to green light another so soon.

The conversation was about Delta being a dead end and not getting a movie, obviously that's not driven by anything happening in the West where Macross isn't even sold. Macross 7 on the other hand had a bunch of spin-offs because it was a big thing in its day.

Can't understand a lick of Japanese, so no. I just read online summaries / got accounts from people who have read the novels. Regarding the bolded, prominent changes include
the end of season 1, where Shuichi is replaced by Reina, and the end of season 2 where Kumiko is supposed to confess to Shuichi.

What I have heard from people who have read the Japanese novels, primarily ultimatemegax on Twitter, is that the changes in this regard are not as substantial as you and many people seem to think. According to him, at least, Kumiko's relationship with Reina in the novels is much the same as it is in the anime, and the Shuuichi confession to Kumiko occurs in a short story separate from the main novels. Without having actually read the novels directly I would be careful to throw around accusations of "yuri baiting" at KyoAni as if the studio was being cynically commercial in how they chose to adapt Sound Euphonium. From the translated interviews I've read with the novel author Takeda and the anime directors Ishihara and Yamada, Takeda seems pretty pleased with how KyoAni has chosen to adapt her work and says it accurately conveys the spirit of what she wanted to convey and indeed improves on it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What I have heard from people who have read the Japanese novels, primarily ultimatemegax on Twitter, is that the changes in this regard are not as substantial as you and many people seem to think. According to him, at least, Kumiko's relationship with Reina in the novels is much the same as it is in the anime, and the Shuuichi confession to Kumiko occurs in a short story separate from the main novels. Without having actually read the novels directly I would be careful to throw around accusations of "yuri baiting" at KyoAni as if the studio was being cynically commercial in how they chose to adapt Sound Euphonium. From the translated interviews I've read with the novel author Takeda and the anime directors Ishihara and Yamada, Takeda seems pretty pleased with how KyoAni has chosen to adapt her work and says it accurately conveys the spirit of what she wanted to convey and indeed improves on it.
You know, considering the trolling/tumblr-baiting they did with Betty and Veronica on the new Archie show, any talk of yuri-baiting in anime just seems quaint now. lol

Pa4c5Vu.gif

jgminto

I'm usually loathe to be super anal about spoilers but you don't think you could've done a better job with this? I mean I've been avoiding the Gundam topic in OT for a reason and its been only like a week - that was a pretty major event you didn't even have to mention in your post at all or could have also spoiler barred :/
You mean the burial? It's literally the first moment of the episode. Not sure why you'd read impressions before watching if you're worried about that also, I started the post with the episode number.

Jex

Choose your own quip:

1) Unlike a certain other wildly successful director I could mention.

2) Then why is Boy and the Beast so furry?

3) Maybe his "one note" should be "actually good films"

4) All of the above

Can't we just give Hosoda a break? What with Shinkai hitting that home run, I feel like we need to lay off Hosoda for a minute.

PK Gaming

Sorry, the "a deep friendship that is almost entirely anime original" line was a mistake on my part. That said, while their relationship was definitely pretty intense in the novel, it was a different kind of intense. From the people I've talked to (including ultimatemegax), the take away from Kumiko's relationship with Reina was "2 girls drawn together, exhibiting a high level of camaraderie not that unusual between high school girls." It was never supposed to be "2 girls with a strong, borderline intimate attraction to each other." The anime played that side up, while also de-emphasizing Kumiko's relationship with Shuuichi. Maybe not for the sake of baiting, but it's undeniable that they were going in a different direction.

Also you're mistaken; Shuichi confesses to Kumiko at the end of volume 3, and she decides to respond in kind (first by wearing the hairpin she gave him, and then by telling him she likes him too). This naturally did not happen in Season 2. Also, toe directly quote someone who read the novel:

larethian said:
- in the novel, it was very clearly expressed that Kumiko felt something for Shuuichi, when Midori rambled about Hadzuki having a crush on Shuuichi and going to invite him for the festival; her mind went blank and she felt a heartache; this was not so clear in the anime. When Shuuichi invited Kumiko to the festival, Kumiko originally was going to say yes but Hadzuki appeared. This was again not clear in the anime. There were also more events subsequently throughout the novel each time Kumiko bumped into/met Shuuichi, which illustrated that Kumiko was starting to feel more and more 'differently' towards her childhood friend (more easily nervous, breathing becomes harder etc.); I can't remember whether it was shown in the anime, but Hadzuki confessed to Kumiko for taking advantage of her 'meekness' and jumped the gun first on Shuuichi knowing that she would back out automatically, and subsequently she could tell from Kumiko's expression that she had feelings for Shuuichi, and then commented on Kumiko denseness when she was in denial

The interviews don't really refute any of these points. I can't exactly imagine Takeda calling out KyoAni to their faces.

Jex

I think it might even be fair to say that KyoAni is one of, if not the best, studios at making changes to original source material for the purposes of making it into a good TV series.

Sorry, the "a deep friendship that is almost entirely anime original" line was a mistake on my part. That said, while their relationship was definitely pretty intense in the novel, it was a different kind of intense. From the people I've talked to (including ultimatemegax), the take away from Kumiko's relationship with Reina was "2 girls drawn together, exhibiting a high level of camaraderie not that unusual between high school girls." It was never supposed to be "t2 girls with a strong, borderline intimate attraction to each other." The anime played that side up, while also de-emphasizing Kumiko's relationship with Shuuichi. Maybe not for the sake of baiting, but it's undeniable that they were going in a different direction.

Also you're mistaken; Shuichi confesses to Kumiko at the end of volume 3, and she decides to respond in kind (first by wearing the hairpin she gave him, and then by telling him she likes him too). This naturally did not happen in Season 2. Also, toe directly quote someone who read the novel:

The interviews don't really refute any of these points. I can't exactly imagine Takeda calling out KyoAni to their faces.

OK. I haven't read the novel either, so I was just going of my memory of what I've heard people said about it. I've just heard a lot of people calling KyoAni an evil and/or incompetent organization that continually screws up the material they adapt, and specifically comments such as "Naoko Yamada's hobbies are promoting traditional social values and crushing the dreams of yuri fans" - an assertion that seems dubious, to say the least. I think such comments, coming from people who haven't read the original works in question and are just going off hearsay, should be kept in check. Your last sentence seems dangerously close to assuming that Takeda is unhappy with how KyoAni has chosen to adapt her work, which is something I don't see any reason to assume.

I have my own problems with Sound Euphonium, especially the second season, problems which I believe are likely due both partly to the author's original work and partly to the choices made in the adaptation process. But I think KyoAni is too often made into a punching bag for unjustified reasons, and I don't think they're incompetent or malicious or cynical, broadly speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom