• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese Fans Ranked the ideal Parent/Child Duo:

10. Sweetness and Lightning: Kohei and Tsumugi Inuzuka
9. Sazae-san: Namihei and Katsuo Isono
8. Dragon Ball: Vegeta and Trunks
7. Bleach: Isshin and Ichigo Kurosaki
6. Naruto: Naruto and Boruto Uzumaki
5. Gintama Umibozu and Kagura
4. Clannad: Sanae and Nagisa Furukawa
3. Dragon Ball: Goku and Gohan
2. Naruto: Minato Namikaze and Naruto Uzumaki
1. Crayon Shin-chan: Hiroshi and Shinnosuke Nohara

Came and saw Clannad and Sweetness and Lightning. Left happy with the list. Japan has good taste.

KraytarJ

Goku and Gohan had like one good father son moment, granted it was the best moment in DBZ, but otherwise? There's a reason Goku being a father is hilarious, and it's not because he's hilariously good at it.

Goku's a better dad than Vegeta.

Their both varying levels of bad. Vegeta fans tend to overexaggerate how much of a family man he actually is. Vegeta is the equivalent of the dad who spends all his time in his den and gets pissed when you disturb him. I mean he's home more often than Goku, but he doesn't actually "parent" Trunks.

Goku's a better dad than Vegeta.

He's not! This is like from two episodes of Super ago, ignore Crunchyroll's grammatical error -

6kmvR69.jpg
sPGiPQy.jpg
L2ppmw3.jpg
L9xTQ5k.jpg

Vegeta is also way more likely to get mad at Trunks getting hurt then Goku would be for Goten.

Kemono Friends 07
The lore is kind of boring to me, and I can't say there's much to these kind of reveals when it's mostly "ah, okay, that's what I thought." This episode was super boring and low quality meme fodder. Zzzzz.

Gooonna have to disagree with you on this. The reveals to me are less "That's what I thought" and more "Holy shit they're actually going through with this, how is this going to all turn out?!?"

This show has been such a unique experience for me. I'm finding myself enjoying the day-to-day encounters with Serval-chan and Bag-chan, while at the same time feeling this underlying sadness hanging over the whole setting.

The whole: "Anime appears cute and friendly but is actually dark" trope is nothing new, but the way Kemono Friends does it hurts in a really peculiar way with how oblivious the main duo is to it all.

The way it's the hints are made pretty plain to the audience as to what's going on and the way Serval-chan and Bag-chan just go about it innocently making their way to the next stop laughing and having fun creates this sense of foreboding that makes me want to know how these characters will react and what will happen to them when they along with the audience eventually do learn the truth.

This post ended up being longer than I originally intended it to be, but Kemono Friends has just had that kind of an effect on me. I'm sure there are lots of other shows that do this stuff better (I've heard someone compare it to Shin Sekai Yori), but for now, if Kemono Friends keeps this up, it may end up being my AOTS.

Season 3 fell into the trap of "here are all our monster designs, look forward to the jump scare at the end of the episode" but the ending was kind of amazing

Dunno how you can find something like the bus episode to be weak

Because live action shots really take me out of the experience and break the illusion. The bus and footsteps episodes were fine, but I don't think reach the highs that the previous seasons did. Every other episode this season has not been great. Dunno. Was really hyped for this season, and I am just not feeling it as much as the other seasons.

Edit: There is still more to come and they might do better as we reach the conclusion, but I am not as creeped out or unnerved as much as I was before.

LotusHD

Banned
Their both varying levels of bad. Vegeta fans tend to overexaggerate how much of a family man he actually is. Vegeta is the equivalent of the dad who spends all his time in his den and gets pissed when you disturb him. I mean he's home more often than Goku, but he doesn't actually "parent" Trunks.

So... he's still better than Goku then.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 5 – A Different Bicycle Race Track!!

How did Hotshot get made captain, like suggesting Sugimoto younger to do the drill. I guess Teshima just values input from everyone, though at least he actually did take up Teshima suggestion later.

I hope for the day Hotshot becomes captain.

Also please win Naruko. Prove hotshot wrong.
C5O3layWMAAH32U.jpg:small
C5O89orXUAId_BH.jpg:small

Quasar

Why am I not surprised that a list about parents is full of shonen rubbish rather than shows that are actually about good parenting?

At least Sweetness is there.

I don't know about some of these that much, but I can get behind Naruto and Minato. Minato would have been a wonderful dad imo. The few moments he has with his son are some of the most heartwarming in the whole series. I cry everytime at the end when Naruto tell him he has nothing to worry about. One of my favorite father and son relationship.

Man, at least a third of this list is like the worst parents of all time.

Here's a real fucking list:

10. Hiroko and Ippo (Hajime no Ippo)
9. Atsuko and Yusuke (Yu Yu Hakusho)
8. Kae and Koushirou (Digimon Adventure)
7. Nanjirou and Ryouma (Prince of Tennis)
6. Sukeroku and Konatsu (Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu)
5. Ayako and Hikari (Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl)
4. Koji and Aiko (Ojamajo Doremi)
3. Kogorou and Ran (Detective Conan)
2. Jiangyuu and Jianliang (Digimon Tamers)
1. Haruka and Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)

zulux21

My roommate and I started it over the weekend and we love it. It's so good. Tanya's Japanese VO does an amazing job of selling all the scenes she's in. Being X in episode 6 is great.

Sounds like people who are watching the dub aren't enjoying it as much as they should. So it seems to me that the dub is doing a poor job of selling the characters and plot from what I can gather.

eh... I started with episode 1 in japanese, wasn't impressed but didn't hate it, but then picked it back up with the dub on episode 2 and in general I prefer the dub *shrugs*

I really don't think it's a question of dub vs sub for enjoyment of the show, it's mostly a case of the show is just decent not great anyways.

every single person who voted for goku and gohan need to be sent to a camp to educate them that constantly abandoning your child, and then forcing your child to kill someone else against their will when they are 9-10 is not good parenting.

Man, at least a third of this list is like the worst parents of all time.

Here's a real fucking list:

10. Hiroko and Ippo (Hajime no Ippo)
9. Atsuko and Yusuke (Yu Yu Hakusho)
8. Kae and Koushirou (Digimon Adventure)
7. Nanjirou and Ryouma (Prince of Tennis)
6. Sukeroku and Konatsu (Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu)
5. Ayako and Hikari (Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl)
4. Koji and Aiko (Ojamajo Doremi)
3. Kogorou and Ran (Detective Conan)
2. Jiangyuu and Jianliang (Digimon Tamers)
1. Haruka and Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)

eh... both 9 and 3 are pretty terrible parents as well. both spending time drinking or smoking and doing other things rather than raising their children.

I mean I suppose for 3 you could make the argument that since Ran basically raises her father that it's a decent if not reversed relationship.... but Atsuko and Yusuke barely talk to each other.

Gundam IBO 1-Present

OVERRATED!

But seriously the show has it's moments but it is not very good. I find myself sticking with it to see it out at this point. Nowhere near my favorite Gundam but it isn't bad. Just middle tier Gundam.

I do wonder if any Gundam will ever touch 00 for me

Some of the best parent and child relationship are.

Deku and his mom(MHA)
Mihashi and his mom(Big windup!)
Rin and father Fujimoto
Minato and Naruto is a good one
Sakura and her father(cardcaptor)
Sota and Poco(poco udon world)

NeonZ

Because live action shots really take me out of the experience and break the illusion. The bus and footsteps episodes were fine, but I don't think reach the highs that the previous seasons did. Every other episode this season has not been great. Dunno. Was really hyped for this season, and I am just not feeling it as much as the other seasons.

Edit: There is still more to come and they might do better as we reach the conclusion, but I am not as creeped out or unnerved as much as I was before.

I must side with the ones who disliked season 3 too. I definitely prefer the overall style of the previous seasons compared to season 4, but most season 3 stories were just big misses. The finale was great, but the monster of the week format of season 3 just really didn't work for me, especially when the monster reveals often just hurt the episodes. And there was Kagewani season 1 right in the previous season doing the same gimmick but much better.

Some of the best parent and child relationship are.

Deku and his mom(MHA)
Mihashi and his mom(Big windup!)
Rin and father Fujimoto
Minato and Naruto is a good one
Sakura and her father(cardcaptor)
Sota and Poco(poco udon world)

you tend to fellate MHA to a ridiculous degree but Deku and his mom is actually pretty good for a shonen series.

eh... I started with episode 1 in japanese, wasn't impressed but didn't hate it, but then picked it back up with the dub on episode 2 and in general I prefer the dub *shrugs*

I really don't think it's a question of dub vs sub for enjoyment of the show, it's mostly a case of the show is just decent not great anyways.

But... Episode 2 is when everything gets good... (episode 1 in general doesn't call for much with the Japanese VOs but get way better and more demanding by episode 2) and the voice acting really picks up in Japanese. Honestly, I foresee the dub struggling with some of the best scenes in Tanya up until this point because of how well executed those scenes are in Japanese. Like the last scene in episode 5 or in episode 6
with the scenes leading up to, during, and after interacting with Being X

Edit: Well, I really enjoy it, and the Japanese voice cast, I think, makes it really enjoyable. They really sell the characters and the intensity of what is going on. Especially when Being X shows up.

We talking good parent and child relationships in anime?!?

Chalk one up for Mamoru and his parents in The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar.

So like, Mamoru in GaoGaiGar is basically Superman. He comes from space, the parents find him, and raise him as their own. They raise and treat him like you'd expect any other loving couple to treat their child.

No edgy backstory or pointless negligence, No bullshit you'd find in Man of Steel, nothing.

They're just one big happy family.

eh... both 9 and 3 are pretty terrible parents as well. both spending time drinking or smoking and doing other things rather than raising their children.

I mean I suppose for 3 you could make the argument that since Ran basically raises her father that it's a decent if not reversed relationship.... but Atsuko and Yusuke barely talk to each other.

Atsuko and Yusuke have a complicated relationship at best, but I think the series makes it clear that she really does care for him, she just has a difficult time showing it. I'd easily put that relationship over most of the ones that made that actual list.

As far as Kogorou goes, he's not a great role model, but the series is pretty consistent in showing that he'll move heaven and earth if Ran is in danger. I think Kogorou has a really strong and well developed relationship with Ran, and I enjoy all of their interactions. It's really mostly with Conan where Kogorou becomes trash and just beats him.

I must side with the ones who disliked season 3 too. I definitely prefer the overall style of the previous seasons compared to season 4, but most season 3 stories were just big misses. The finale was great, but the monster of the week format of season 3 just really didn't work for me, especially when the monster reveals often just hurt the episodes. And there was Kagewani season 1 right in the previous season doing the same gimmick but much better.

I always thought people liked season 3 despite it not being as good as the first two seasons.

The live shots are really breaking me out of some of the stories in season 4. And, as I said, I am generally not as creeped out as I was with previous seasons.

Szadek

Mawaru Penguindrum - Ep. 21-22
So I guess Sanetoshi Watase really is Souji Mikage.
Well, ok not really because
Sanetoshi is the will of one man living on beyond his death, while Souji is a man stuck in the past.

As for episode 22: You can't do this to me.
Both best girls die (or at least almost) in 1 episode?
That's too much for me.

zulux21

But... Episode 2 is when everything gets good... (episode 1 in general doesn't call for much with the Japanese VOs but get way better and more demanding by episode 2) and the voice acting really picks up in Japanese. Honestly, I foresee the dub struggling with some of the best scenes in Tanya up until this point because of how well executed those scenes are in Japanese. Like the last scene in episode 5 or in episode 6
with the scenes leading up to, during, and after interacting with Being X

Edit: Well, I really enjoy it, and the Japanese voice cast, I think, makes it really enjoyable. They really sell the characters and the intensity of what is going on. Especially when Being X shows up.

episode 5 was well done in english *shrugs*
I mean everyone is free to enjoy what they want :p

Atsuko and Yusuke have a complicated relationship at best, but I think the series makes it clear that she really does care for him, she just has a difficult time showing it. I'd easily put that relationship over most of the ones that made that actual list.

As far as Kogorou goes, he's not a great role model, but the series is pretty consistent in showing that he'll move heaven and earth if Ran is in danger. I think Kogorou has a really strong and well developed relationship with Ran, and I enjoy all of their interactions. It's really mostly with Conan where Kogorou becomes trash and just beats him.

still wouldn't remotely call it an ideal parent child relationship though.

I mean just looking at stuff quickly
Haruhi and Ryouji from host club is a pretty solid relationship considering the situations. They both really love each other and want the best for each other.

from FMA brotherhood
I think Hughes and Elycia is a solid relationship
until he dies
and Gracia and Elycia is also fine from what we see.

Aikidoka

What relationship do Minato and Naruto ever have? I thought they just had like one or two mind conversations. From that series, I would have chosen like Iruka and Naruto (it should count!).

It's difficult for me to think of good parent relationships in anime. MHA is definitely a good call, though.

LotusHD

Banned
You missed the whole arc where Minato was reborn and on the battlefield in the present and worked alongside Naruto?

Dang, if people putting Naruto up there, anime must be lacking when it comes to families, or maybe y'all forgetful. They hung out for like what, a day? I mean, I suppose it was a meaningful day, but still lol

Aikidoka

You missed the whole arc where Minato was reborn and on the battlefield in the present and worked alongside Naruto?

lol, I guess so. the last I remember reading was Naruto conversing with his mom, learning Kyuubi's real name, and that him and Sasuke are incarnations of two legendary warriors. I thought the Kaguya (i think) fight happened and the manga was over.

More good parent/child relationships -

Gendo and Shinji
Ging and Gon
Ragyo and Satsuki
Charles vi Britannia and Lelouche
Hanekawa's parents
Gambino and Guts

Bright and Hathaway is the secret answer.

Bright turned out to secretly be about as bad a father as Gendo, but without being nearly as obvious about it.

You missed the part where he had the choice to be there for him as an actual living parent who could actually be there for him but decided to use a seal technique that would kill him so that Naruto could meet his mom in the dream world for like 5 minutes.

Quasar

ACCA 7 - Well that was a long time coming. Didn't actually expect what it turned out to be, but pretty damn close. King is not quite as doddering as I took him for.

Jintor

Toradora parenting

Yeah that was one of the most intense relationships even though it's just kind of there for like twenty EPS.

You really see how much his mum cares about him even though from the outside she kinda seems like a total deadbeat hostess bar weirdo

ibyea

Banned
Rakugo S2: 2
I guess escaping your past is not that easy. It also seems like Yotaro is struggling similarly like his master in terms of performance. The past weighs the present so heavily it makes the show really sad.

ibyea

Banned

I don't know about the others, but lol, the fathers from Dragon Ball and Bleach were not good parents at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom