• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I liked Blue Exorcist back when it was airing.......

I mean the anime original end was bad, but the rest of it was great.

What if One Piece was inside Luffy and gang all along?

If you take Luffy's name, and the names of the people on his crew, you can probably spell one piece.

Izayoi

Banned
Four episodes into Gundam Unicorn and I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. The recap having a narrative slant is nice.

Now you might be saying "But didn't you hate all the mysteries in stuff like Re:Zero?" and the answer is yes, but the difference is I have absolute confidence in four things when it comes to One Piece. One, that the story will eventually finish. Two, that ongoing mysteries will be given new light, new dimension or be solved. Three, that these are not mysteries for mysteries sake and that the largest questions of the world - The One Piece, the Void Century, the Will of D and the Ancient Weapons - will tie into each other. Four, that everything will be wrapped up in a satisfying manner. I guess we can throw Attack on Titan in there too since I've been so surprised at how well the Basement stuff has been done. But it seems clear to me that a story structured like One Piece is far more engaging and worth following for two decades. Now someone who can craft that kind of story like Oda has to be one in a million, but we'll see.

This was well done. I'd subscribe to your shounen newsletter.

I'd say this works better (maybe only) in a humorous situation. I mean, I just can't sympathize with a snake that doesn't find good clothes as much as someone that has to carry a burden every day. Technically, you could argue that this is a metaphor for very tall people that can't find clothes on their size, but because we're talking about a snake, for me it becomes too unreal. Like, in Demi-chan, all of them have normal proportions. Having a snake's body or a spider's or whatever else MonMusume does, is definitely a lot more creative but it gets so weird that you can't really expand it as much as you want and even if the author intends to be serious, I find it difficult to take it that way. In that regard, I'm curious about Centaur's Worries, which despite featuring centaurs and other monsters, seems to deal with some cool stuff afaik.
Vampire is a bit light and heat sensitive, Yuki-onna girl is heat sensitive, Succubus teacher has some hangups. I'm just seeing these as regular girls with some quirks or like Jarmel put it handicaps, not monstergirls. Why bother calling them monstergirls at all?

Like while monsusume is raunchy I do find it amusing how the author does address issues they run into that would effect them on a daily basis based on their species. i.e. Lamias having heat regulation issues because she is cold blooded.

Also agreed about Centaur's Worries, it is closer to what I'd like to see.

What if One Piece was inside Luffy and gang all along?

If you take Luffy's name, and the names of the people on his crew, you can probably spell one piece.

Oda: Yes, I already decided on how it's going to end. Should I tell you now?

Sakura: .... Well, I want to know, but I probably shouldn't. BUT, the One Piece, it's not something like ”the growth your heart went through", right?

Oda: Hahaha, no no, I won't be pulling off some kind of Wizard of Oz thing like that. After having gone through an adventure like that, it wouldn't be fair to not actually give them a reward.

Even though the series is probably 65% done by now, its still to early to actually make a concrete guess on what it is.

But the thing that makes the most sense to me right now is the "Rio Poneglyph" which contains the history of the Void Century, and all research is forbidden on that. Roger did succeed in getting that, and its very likely the Void Century ties into almost every mystery in the world. Before Roger was executed, Roger told Whitebeard a lot of stuff including what the Will of D actually is. Roger offered to tell him what the One Piece was, but I can't remember if Whitebeard accepted the offer or not. He did say that whatever it was, it would shake the world to its core and thats why the Void Century makes the most sense to me. Another possibility is that the Void Century is somehow a pre-requisite to getting on Raftel, because it would seem that Raftel is not a simple island. We already know you need the four Road Poneglyphs to get the location and there is likely more conditions to fulfill before you can get there, which means Roger didn't make Raftel special, it was special before.

This was well done. I'd subscribe to your shounen newsletter.

now let me tell you my thoughts on Bleach

Guess that's where we are opposites because it sorta loses me that these are monstergirls when there is generally nothing 'monster' about them. Again sans Dullahan.

Vampire is a bit light and heat sensitive, Yuki-onna girl is heat sensitive, Succubus teacher has some hangups. I'm just seeing these as regular girls with some quirks or like Jarmel put it handicaps, not monstergirls. Why bother calling them monstergirls at all?

Like while monsusume is raunchy I do find it amusing how the author does address issues they run into that would effect them on a daily basis based on their species. i.e. Lamias having heat regulation issues because she is cold blooded.
Well they're called ajin or demis, monster girl is what they chose to localize it as, probably to make it more marketable.

Even though the series is probably 65% done by now, its still to early to actually make a concrete guess on what it is.

But the thing that makes the most sense to me right now is the "Rio Poneglyph" which contains the history of the Void Century, and all research is forbidden on that. Roger did succeed in getting that, and its very likely the Void Century ties into almost every mystery in the world. Before Roger was executed, Roger told Whitebeard a lot of stuff including what the Will of D actually is. Roger offered to tell him what the One Piece was, but I can't remember if Whitebeard accepted the offer or not. He did say that whatever it was, it would shake the world to its core and thats why the Void Century makes the most sense to me. Another possibility is that the Void Century is somehow a pre-requisite to getting on Raftel, because it would seem that Raftel is not a simple island. We already know you need the four Road Poneglyphs to get the location and there is likely more conditions to fulfill before you can get there, which means Roger didn't make Raftel special, it was special before.

I think the Rio Poneglyph is definitely there, but I'm guessing there's something else to One Piece besides just that. Some sort of bigger mystery. After all, we've known about the Rio Poneglyph for a long time. But it's definitely something that would wind up completely shattering the world, and will lead to the biggest war in history based on what Oda has said about what's coming at the end of the series.

I think the Rio Poneglyph is definitely there, but I'm guessing there's something else to One Piece besides just that. Some sort of bigger mystery. After all, we've known about the Rio Poneglyph for a long time. But it's definitely something that would wind up completely shattering the world, and will lead to the biggest war in history based on what Oda has said about what's coming at the end of the series.

Oh yeah, Oda also said that the finale will make Marineford look like a small fight and I believe him. So reaching the One Piece probably isn't the finale of the entire series!

The finale will probably be a situation where everyone HAS to pick a side (probably Luffy's brand of freedom or Akainu's iron fist judgment) because the revelations from the One Piece are too earth shattering

Oh yeah, Oda also said that the finale will make Marineford look like a small fight and I believe him. So reaching the One Piece probably isn't the finale of the entire series!

The finale will probably be a situation where everyone HAS to pick a side (probably Luffy's brand of freedom or Akainu's iron fist judgment) because the revelations from the One Piece are too earth shattering

The only thing I have a hard time figuring out is who exactly the enemies will be.

Luffy's side will probably have everyone who is already following him, plus folks from all the countries he's saved over the years, etc, and probably most of the other Supernova will join him, not to mention Dragon and his revolutionary army. Who the hell would be fighting alongside Akainu?

It could also wind up being a four or five way fight between a bunch of different factions, at that.

The only thing I have a hard time figuring out is who exactly the enemies will be.

Luffy's side will probably have everyone who is already following him, plus folks from all the countries he's saved over the years, etc, and probably most of the other Supernova will join him. Who the hell would be fighting alongside Akainu?

The Gorosei and the Celestial Dragons.

But yeah at present it seems completely tipped to Luffy's side.

It could also wind up being a four or five way fight between a bunch of different factions, at that.

Yeah I'm not confident on who the final boss will be at this point but right now it could be Blackbeard, Akainu or Shanks.

The Pirate last boss, the Marine last boss, or Luffy's last boss he fights for his own personal closure.

The Gorosei and the Celestial Dragons.

But yeah at present it seems completely tipped to Luffy's side.

Yeah, they'd be the big backers. We just haven't seen much in the way of combat abilities. The Celestial Dragons don't even want to touch anyone else. I have a hard time imagining them fighting.

Akainu shouldn't have any difficulty getting raw numbers on his side. I just don't know who the big shot named characters would be.

Yeah I'm not confident on who the final boss will be at this point but right now it could be Blackbeard, Akainu or Shanks.

The Pirate last boss, the Marine last boss, or Luffy's last boss he fights for his own personal closure.

I've always been kind of partial to a Luffy vs Buggy showdown at the very end being the real last fight, after everything else has been settled. For a big fight before that, I think either Blackbeard or Akainu could work depending on how Oda wants to end things. I don't see Shanks surviving to the end (but his crew will fight alongside Luffy in the end, as will Whitebeard's).

HEYBOT! Episode 15
C1m6vdWXEAEVpqT.jpg:small

Great News Years episode and all that Cool Japan love.

The other level Nejiru stuff, when will we get explanation, and those three looked like the VocaReemans in the mecha form???

OK that's enough about a lesser Epic like One Piece, time to get to business on the real masterpiece.

HEYBOT! 15

Vs1McjV.jpg
Z1fYSsA.jpg
Y1f1iuf.jpg
UCzqcRM.jpg

References pictured above in this Japanese kids show - A bath, dinner, or me, CLAMP anatomy, Hemingway's writing style, Van Damme split kicks, Newtype sparks and the tagline to a 35 year old sci fi horror movie. This entire episode is about Cool Japan btw

Y'know it's a real shame there was no Heybot last week. So this week they gave us the most :heybot episode yet. This is like, lethal doses of Heybot. Take caution.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Blue Exorcist Season 2 Episode 1

I totally forgot what happened right before the timeline starts in Season 2. They took too long for that flashback lol.

Rin's classmates are such douchebags.

Eyebrow girl stays winning.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

This is actually being set up in One Piece since about the end of Dressrosa as a Delflamingo laid out all on the various faction will fight in a thing called The Throne Wars.

This is actually being set up in One Piece since about the end of Dressrosa as a Delflamingo laid out all on the various faction will fight in a thing called The Throne Wars.

Yeah, taking down Doffy has already shook the power structures. When Luffy takes down Big Mom or Kaidou, its going to be all out chaos from the resulting power vacuum.

Whose dick do I have to suck in the anime industry so they make a dj/hip hop anime about a rags to riches guy with original music?

Tonkatsu DJ was the closest but it didn't have much music.

So I've been playing catch up on some of my backlog since I got the Funimation App. Some of the shows I've finished over the past week:

Assassination Classroom:
I had never read the manga before but I know it was popular throughout it's duration. I enjoyed it way more than I expected. It got off to a slow start, but once the momentum got going, it turned fantastic. Legit one of the funniest anime I've watched. The last couple of episodes actually legit got me to tear up as well, which is really rare for any type series.

Overlord:
An Overpowered MC who's trapped in a MMO. Those are typically the ingredients for an anime I'd end up hating, but Overlord ended up being decently entertaining. Chris Guerrero is a fantastic VA and he did a phenomenal job voicing Momonga. I like the little tidbits like the MC being embarrassed over an NPC he created when he was clearly going through an "Edgelord" phase. My biggest issue with it though is I think the anime cops out with the main character losing his human emotions. The writer goes back and forth with it, only bringing it up whenever it's convient for the plot.

LMAO

"I think I've seen that pose before"

What a 10/10 episode. Outside of poor Yamcha being a punching bag the whole episode as he told himself his goal was to make it home alive, the other great moment was Vegeta pitching at Goku and then using quick ki blasts to try and beat his swing. Baseball with dragon ball flavor.

Super airs on Toonami tonight right? I'm not sure how that audience is going to take to Super and the show already has an unfairly bad reputation via second hand word of mouth and hearsay.

Dragon Ball Super 73

Decent, but I think I would've liked it more if there wasn't the plotline about the alien making people buff out and get enraged like Broly.

Chase17

Super airs on Toonami tonight right? I'm not sure how that audience is going to take to Super and the show already has an unfairly bad reputation via second hand word of mouth and hearsay.
Yeah it aired on adult swim at 8 EST, then gets rerun at 11:30 EST as part of the toonami block.

Goten's voice :(

John Blade

PPx9Znm.jpg

Man...so many funny scene in this episode which is fun to watch and same with fan service. Kinda feel sorry for Youto to loose his home but he manage to stay with Tsukiko place. Unfortunately, this bring out few funny scene in the home which is fun to watch as it`s stuff you kinda expect to see based on Youto side. Also, the missing home you start to found out what really happen to it at the end which will be interested to see where it goes.

For Azusa, kinda feel sorry for her a bit as Youto can`t go with her but bring her friend to the trip. In a way it`s a good thing as it kinda fix the issue between them which you see near the end of the episode. I guess that is a good thing on her side.

Interested to see where this story go now as we see they is some connection between the Cat shrine and the missing home while at the same time it`s all in the same location where Youto is staying.

Vegeta is hurt that Kakarot has found an enemy he wants to fuck. No seriously, the fuck me eyes that Hit and Goku were giving each other at the end, Chichi is in trouble.

On that note, man Goku's bloodline is fucked.

Gohan: A fucking nerd who doesn't fight anymore.
Goten: While he wants to fight, Chichi apparently isn't happy with having 1 weak son, she wants two. With Trunks being the hero of the future and Goten nowhere to be seen, it's assured that Goten is a weak motherfucker too.
Pan: Well we've seen GT, she's useless.

Meanwhile Vegeta has Trunks. So yeah, shame for Goku. From strongest saiyan to his bloodline producing geeks.

Vegeta is hurt that Kakarot has found an enemy he wants to fuck. No seriously, the fuck me eyes that Hit and Goku were giving each other at the end, Chichi is in trouble.

On that note, man Goku's bloodline is fucked.

Gohan: A fucking nerd who doesn't fight anymore.
Goten: While he wants to fight, Chichi apparently isn't happy with having 1 weak son, she wants two. With Trunks being the hero of the future and Goten nowhere to be seen, it's assured that Goten is a weak motherfucker too.
Pan: Well we've seen GT, she's useless.

Meanwhile Vegeta has Trunks. So yeah, shame for Goku. From strongest saiyan to his bloodline producing geeks.
Goten doesn't exist in future trunks timeline because Goku died of a heart attack before he could be concieved

Izayoi

Banned
What's something light hearted I can watch on Crunchyroll, Netflix, or Hulu?

Unicorn is amazing but pretty fucking dire, I need a break.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
3-gatsu 12
This show has really hit its stride and keeps finding success. The internal monologues fit here pretty well when Rei is trying to deal with thoughts he is struggling to escape from, and all of the location work still feels really well pieced together. The music really stood out well this week too, and the more abrasive guitar theme that Gotou brought along with him spiced up a scene that might have otherwise floundered with some of its static side angle shots. I would not be surprised if this wound up being my favorite show this season.

Goten doesn't exist in future trunks timeline because Goku died of a heart attack before he could be concieved

oh yeah duh haha

Well if we assume that this timeline goes into something similar to GT, then Goten turns into a womanizer who doesn't really fight. And Trunks keeps going on adventures.

I doubt we'll ever reach that timeline as it's not really canon (?) but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom