• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

At least they released it on DVD... Except for the graduation OVAs...

Oh yeah, they did do that, didn't they?

Whenever they get around to releasing the BD of this, I wonder if they'll include the OVAs or release them separately? Most of their Hidamari BDs have the OVAs included, though SP was done as a separate release.

Clov

Guess they'll do it separately if they also plan to release on DVD, just like they didn't include SP even if they could on BD.

I wouldn't put it past Sentai to do that. With Crunchyroll's partnership with Funimation taking up many of the titles they would normally try and grab, they probably want to pad out their release schedule as much as they can.

Konosuba S2 1

C7OB1LCXkAESH-f.jpg

I can't remember the last time I've seen an anime that leans so heavily into deliberately rough yet flexibly loose animation. The Milky Holmes movie, maybe, though that doesn't have as much actual animation as there is here. Amazing.

3gatsu 22 END

That was nice for a not-final episode I suppose. I enjoyed this show and am looking forward to the second season.

Konosuba S2 1

I can't remember the last time I've seen an anime that leans so heavily into deliberately rough yet flexibly loose animation. The Milky Holmes movie, maybe, though that doesn't have as much actual animation as there is here. Amazing.

heybot

trejo

Konosuba S2 1

Normally you wouldn't expect the animation in the show itself to match or even exceed the really good stuff from the OP but boy oh boy have you seen nothing yet.

Aki-at

Tiger Mask W - 3

Since this loosely touched on the events of the original series I'm a bit curious to watch it, seems like the original Tiger Mask
had a pretty somber end if he couldn't help all the kids he saved in the end and disappeared.

Narag

Tiger Mask W - 3

Since this loosely touched on the events of the original series I'm a bit curious to watch it, seems like the original Tiger Mask
had a pretty somber end if he couldn't help all the kids he saved in the end and disappeared.

I'd love for the original show to be subbed, especially since this one draws so much from it.

With the wrap up of the season happening soon I must say, this was one heck of a season start. The top 3 shows are easily AOTY material already, with Konosuba 2, Scum's Wish and the brilliant second season of Rakugo. Not to mention Sangatsu's super strong second half and Maid Dragon which managed to surprise me a great lot, didn't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. 2017 had a strong start.

Sterok

Yes! Precure 5 23

Wow, all out psychological assault while the team was apart. I expect Nozomi to whip so much ass because of thise.

The one time Precure managed to be legitimately creepy.

Aikatsu Stars 48

Lots of good character development here. Lily and Yuri cheering for each other, Laura getting cold feet, Yuzu being excited at her best friend standing with her, it's the kind of satisfaction you can only get from a long-running series.
Yuri would be a serious contender in any other class, but with Song Class as crowded as it is, she's the joke character. It was pretty obvious Lily wasn't going to win thanks to her beginning thoughts. And her low score for being on top. At least she has her brand as a consolation prize. Heh on Yuzu being more upset at Lily's loss. I wasn't pulling for Laura at first, but she had a good turnaround at the last second and an awesome dress. Old songs for both of them, but the dances were updated appropriately, and it shows. Laura's score is kind of low, so it's obvious Yume is going to stomp her and join S4. Beating Hime however, that's a different story.

Suite Precure 4

On the left, you can see Kanade's mother. No I still can't believe this is her mother 5 years later.

We get to witness first hand some Team Rocket esque shenanigans where somehow she didn't realize Trio de Minor were in disguises, considering they just changed clothes. Ellen is capable of shapeshifting, but she has a fatal flaw for those.

I think Hibiki's love for Kanade's cakes is a reason why their friendship didn't completely sink, given she deliberately swiped cake from her during their rocky times. She also essentially proposed to Kanade, in which she reciprocated those feelings.

bryanee

Garden of Words

Short but sweet and kinda moving. About a lad and woman who find friendship on rainy days.

High School DXD

Jesus. I should really read a little more about a show before I watch it. I was expecting harem stuff....I wasn't expecting tits flopping about every ten minutes. Laughed my ass off though, the main characters obsession with breasts killed me.

And now, an actual line from Mass Effect Andromeda.

"To me, that's the saddest part. The chief's heart was broken right before it exploded."

Fuuka is no longer the worst written anime of the season.

phaze

Started reading 3-Gatsu no Lion's manga since the anime is about to end, really impressive how much Shaft managed to stretch out the source material. They managed to stretch out only 4.5 (closer to 4.33 but whatever) volumes worth of content into 22 episodes without adding much filler.

Unless they skipped some, they got more than 2 chapters per ep which sounds like sizeable enough amount of content.

3-Gatsu No Lion 22 END

Good to hear S2 is coming. This episode is a good send off as it is, the last half being a bout of self introspection and summary of what transpired but with the last major arc being focused on Shimada, it's hard to escape the feeling this story is still in its middle if that.

Konosuba 10 END

Really great finale. Hopefully all those who do not acknowledge Aqua as best girl and goddess will now, after being so categorically proven wrong forever keep their heads down in shame and their breasts free of pads.

This was really a wholesale improvement over the S1. While I think the high point laughs wise came in the early episodes for me, the rest kept to a certain level and improvements on presentation front were at times gargantuan. Was worth going through the previous season for this.

So will they call the 3-gatsu sequel, 6-gatsu?

That line is anime as fuck

the whole game is essentially 'badly produced anime the space video game'

There's a scene one of your party members is shooting a dead body and you tell him to stop, and he awkwardly turns around and shoots him again and goes 'THERE I FEEL BETTER'

Took that line from a shitty B movie.

it's going to be glorious.

Unless they skipped some, they got more than 2 chapters per ep which sounds like sizeable enough amount of content.

3-Gatsu No Lion 22 END

Good to hear S2 is coming. This episode is a good send off as it is, the last half being a bout of self introspection and summary of what transpired but with the last major arc being focused on Shimada, it's hard to escape the feeling this story is still in its middle if that.

No, they covered only the first 45 chapters in 22 episodes (certain things like the Cat Shogi and the Shogi match's themselves they managed to stretch out greatly time to page wise) so they pretty much did 2 chapters per episode. And 3-Gatsu is a 15-20 page long per chapter manga (though it is a in a monthly magazine) that isn't really that word heavy.

Puzzle & Dragons Cross Episode 34
C7OmQjQXgAAIdVD.jpg:small

Lance finally went all Soul Brave. Didnt expect it to be an all out fight but then they showed the background story which made it make sense. Cant wait for him to go against either Ace or StarJohn.

convo

I haven't watched a single episode of the new Digimon episodes with the original cast yet, but i could just wait and play the newly announced Cyber Sleuth sequel instead.
How would people rate those episodes?

Suite Precure 5

This is Hibiki's mom. It is much more believable than Kanade's mother.

But we have more fighting this episode, it it sort of feels off kilter in comparison to the last two episodes. Fighting which of course, makes them look like goobers, the best goobers.

Trio de Minor finally get some unique lines, a starting point for them to go beyond simply being Siren's troupe.

I haven't watched a single episode of the new Digimon episodes with the original cast yet, but i could just wait and play the newly announced Cyber Sleuth sequel instead.

You mean Digimon Tri? They are great! Well worth a watch.

JulianImp

If you mean Tri, then I'd say its leans too heavily on nostalgic fanservice to be worth it unless you're a die-hard Digimon fan. The plot has been pretty bad so far, and the animation is so cheap I can't understand how they aired it in cinemas in Japan. It releasing in multi-episode parts every couple months also means you'll be stuck with cliffhanger after cliffhanger until they eventually get to the final part.

To elaborate, it feels like it would've benefitted from being a multi-cour series rather than a bunch of movies, since the plot and character developments in each arc tend to feel overly rushed in order to try and wrap them up in the same four-episode batch they're introduced in. Like, the latest batch had
Sora and Biyomon not getting along for 3/4 episodes with little to no signs of things getting any better, and by the end of the third episode they go back to being friends in the span of a single scene.

30hrs into BOTW, not even half way done, I go and order Nier Automata which came in today. Persona 5 drops in like what, 2-3 weeks? Plus new anime season incoming... I'm in for a busy couple weeks.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 8 – Finish Line
C7Ox7cYXkAE1O6z.jpg:small

Manami really did take the loss the hardest, still wish there was more to fill in what happened between then and now. The way he cant even hear Onoda here, and then the desperate attempt to do better and show off at this race. Poor guy.

convo

If you mean Tri, then I'd say its leans too heavily on nostalgic fanservice to be worth it unless you're a die-hard Digimon fan. The plot has been pretty bad so far, and the animation is so cheap I can't understand how they aired it in cinemas in Japan. It releasing in multi-episode parts every couple months also means you'll be stuck with cliffhanger after cliffhanger until they eventually get to the final part.

To elaborate, it feels like it would've benefitted from being a multi-cour series rather than a bunch of movies, since the plot and character developments in each arc tend to feel overly rushed in order to try and wrap them up in the same four-episode batch they're introduced in. Like, the latest batch had
Sora and Biyomon not getting along for 3/4 episodes with little to no signs of things getting any better, and by the end of the third episode they go back to being friends in the span of a single scene.

Ah yes Tri.
Hm, well it's not like i watched digimon for the animation, even in middle school my classmates would make fun of how pokemon looked much better.
I remember more of Season 2 of digimon.That and Tamers got me the most emotional about stuff. So i don't know how much this will do for me. My plan right now would be to wait until it's done and watch all of it.

30hrs into BOTW, not even half way done, I go and order Nier Automata which came in today. Persona 5 drops in like what, 2-3 weeks? Plus new anime season incoming... I'm in for a busy couple weeks.
The struggle is real! I want to play Nier, but I'm like nowhere near finished with Zelda and I still have Digimon to start and Blaster Master too.

Chase17

JoJo Part 3 19
Dogs can't catch a break in this series. Surprised they are not more suspicious of a potential stand user.

Gagging him with the eyeballs was really creepy.

Nier is certainly awesome.
And I've probably barely scratched the surface yet.

The struggle is real! I want to play Nier, but I'm like nowhere near finished with Zelda and I still have Digimon to start and Blaster Master too.

Zelda has easily become my "okay where are we gonna go and what are we gonna do today" type of game. No HUD, very aimless, I just do things as they come. Nier I am probably going to play just like I did Horizon, as a fairly straight forward experience for the plot. When Persona drops, my life is coming to a halt with all games, and that will most likely be the only thing I play for quite some time.

JulianImp

Ah yes Tri.
Hm, well it's not like i watched digimon for the animation, even in middle school my classmates would make fun of how pokemon looked much better.
I remember more of Season 2 of digimon.That and Tamers got me the most emotional about stuff. So i don't know how much this will do for me. My plan right now would be to wait until it's done and watch all of it.

Yeah, I'd recommend you do that. Then you can even check for opinions on the show as a whole package as well, which could help redeem Tri to an extent.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 62 – Magician's Student - Dark Magician Girl
C7PC6F4WwAAkx4F.jpg:small

Im so glad the animators leveled up from this, its so strange not being able to see what the reverse cards are. I wanted to know what he set.

I have Digimon. I had it delivered while I was on vacation, but before even playing it, I went to the store to pick up Yakuza 0. Put maybe 4 hours into Digimon, ended up prioritizing Yakuza instead (which I feel like was a great idea). Given how busy it is gaming wise, I'm not too sure if I'll return to Digimon.

Suite Precure 6

More new characters, Souta and Ako, who are important in their own ways. Souta gives Hibiki another aspect into how she views her own home life. Also it shows us Kanade's family life. Honestly this was the episode that firmly sqaured Kanade behind Hibiki for me, because she seems overly hostile to her brother. I mean, it sort of also gives that feel that Kanade starts a lot of the issues between her and Hibiki as well.

Hibiki certainly feels like fresh air when you're stuck with a pink lead who doesn't really have any major issues compared to other people. I think she's closer to the top for me when ranking the pinks, but enough of that.

Ako is also kind of a prick. I mean I swear, every prominent girl here is kind of.... mean and standoffish in a way, it's kind of funny. Ellen has an excuse since she's a villian at least.

Amazingly though, despite Kanade needing to reach out to her brother, it is ultimately Hibiki's feelings that prevails to grant her the Miracle Birther. Normally I would consider yelling PINK PRIVILEGE, but I think it just highlights more that Hibiki is cooler.

Zelda has easily become my "okay where are we gonna go and what are we gonna do today" type of game. No HUD, very aimless, I just do things as they come. Nier I am probably going to play just like I did Horizon, as a fairly straight forward experience for the plot. When Persona drops, my life is coming to a halt with all games, and that will most likely be the only thing I play for quite some time.

I have Digimon. I had it delivered while I was on vacation, but before even playing it, I went to the store to pick up Yakuza 0. Put maybe 4 hours into Digimon, ended up prioritizing Yakuza instead (which I feel like was a great idea). Given how busy it is gaming wise, I'm not too sure if I'll return to Digimon.

Too many games=first world problem
----------------------
Oh my! top of the page!
ac253b517447e662ac1959140df4e4a8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom