• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Persona, I do have a very clear problem ahead of course. I finished Yakuza 0 (fucking amazing), but I know I won't have time to fully beat Nier, Zelda, and Digimon World.

The real question is what gets primary time allocation? Because Zelda was the main game, with Nier and Yakuza being a friday thing

HEYBOT! 25

1Evmkqm.jpg
YXZ9n2p.jpg
haoU7ws.jpg

I'm glad somebody decided to make a good anime about Rakugo.

Jarmel

Banned
Holy shit this Konsuba finale is amazing. My mind is full of fuck.

This is a better finale than most shounen action adaptations.

Chase17

JoJo Part 3 20
Kakyoin...what are you doing with that? noooo

21-22
Thought the sudden reappearance was going to bug me but the way they played it was perefect.

Poor Polnareff lol

Jarmel

Banned
Konosuba S2-10
m0Ul9iR.jpg

I'm confused, which studio is doing this? It's not BONES?
I'm fucking blown back. I literally have my hands up in the air as I can't even think of recent shounen shit that had as strong a finale as this. Maybe Mob Psycho I guess. This actually reminded me of Gurren Lagann at this particular moment.
dJll7UR.jpg
70ia33i.jpg

Who the hell do you think we are?
Not only was the action well animated but it showed off all the skills of the party members while staying comedic at the same time. This was the most serious and dangerous encounter in the entire series and while the characters and audience knew this, it still stayed true to itself. I should say though that while previous episodes had moments of great action, this episode took it up a few notches. The second half of this was just perfection.
I have no problem confidently stating that this is probably in the top 5 anime comedies of all time. They absolutely hit a homerun with this season on almost all fronts. They took what was already an extremely strong base but instead of focusing on the fan-favorite characters from season 1, they revamped some of the unlikable characters creating a cast that doesn't have a weakspot anymore. God's Blessing huh? If God exists, where is my third season? Answer that!

KiraKira Precure A la Mode 7

Pekorin backstory which reveals an interesting tidbit about her world. The fact that it can be reached by fucking walking up a mountain. It was part of the real world? And it got nuked via kirakiraru black hole? Yikes.

We see both Akira and Yukari next to each other despite not meeting each other last episode until the confrontation with the monster (unless you live in japan and can see the All Stars movie) and already they are inseparable. Like every scene they're always standing next to each other and occasinally staring at each other.

That being said, Ichika was the star of the episode. Not because she stood out, but because hardly anyone else was really involved in the process of making Pekorin feel better about her circumstance. I mean hopefully it means we're done with the Ichika x Star of the week kind of deal since we covered everyone now.

On the other hand, we do have this dandy fellow appearing next week.

Heavy Metal L-Gaim Episode 20

Space series are always so strange when they do the, send someone into outer space with no suit as an example punishment to others. Why would doing that ever be a good form of punishment.

Still I always like the rebelling colony plot.

Aki-at

Konosuba's finale is one of those rare perfect close to the series that has everything and you didn't see it a mile away despite how much quality the season already had. More amazing for me as I thought season 1 was merely okay, but the jump in quality this season was massive.

Konosuba's finale is one of those rare perfect close to the series that has everything and you didn't see it a mile away despite how much quality the season already had. More amazing for me as I thought season 1 was merely okay, but the jump in quality this season was massive.

It's going to hurt so much if we're unlucky enough for it not to get a follow up. Devil is a Part-Timer I was always a bit sad by, but Konosuba would be on a whole nother level of disappointment. I really liked Season 1, but I agree that S2 blew it out of the water and really picked up the comedy and animation.

Does anyone know how faithful they are to the light novels? Is it mostly just the animation adding to the comedy or did they rewrite some stuff too?

Puruzi

Banned
It's going to hurt so much if we're unlucky enough for it not to get a follow up. Devil is a Part-Timer I was always a bit sad by, but Konosuba would be on a whole nother level of disappointment. I really liked Season 1, but I agree that S2 blew it out of the water and really picked up the comedy and animation.

Does anyone know how faithful they are to the light novels? Is it mostly just the animation adding to the comedy or did they rewrite some stuff too?

It's supposed to be very faithful but some stuff was skipped. The stuff that was skipped seemed like it would be pretty funny so it's a bit of a shame

Jarmel

Banned
OXZigHN.jpg

This is going to be the motto of a number of studios by the end of the year huh?
So I was thinking about why Konosuba works so well and the word I keep coming up with is synergistic. Everything comes together to create a product that is not only greater than the individual parts but echoes back and enhances those same individual components. For example the rough animation style I don't think would work in most anime and would just come across as sloppy however due to aspects like the voice acting being so lively, it helps the comedic vibe and energy of the show. Similarly with the voice direction, if the editing wasn't so on point, the jokes wouldn't land as hard. Not to mention with a different cast, the voice direction being so wild would seem off and not fitting to the characters. It's a very holistic product in that all the aspects gel together in a surprising way to create this offbeat show.

I can't think of many shows where everything blends together as well as this. There's something to be said about how even the characters themselves wouldn't be entertaining as individuals but rather due to the team dynamic, they all can shine not only in their separate ways but as a group.

Cornbread78

3-gatsu-END
Still building Rei's character until the very end. This was a really good way to end the first season and make you look forward to what comes next with the
shogi master

PK Gaming

Konosuba 10

Yeah, this was fucking stellar

I loved how literally all of the set up from episode 9 was followed up
I loved how it showcased the best traits of the main cast
I loved how it perfectly balanced comedy and tension
I loved how Kazuma's plan worked out. Usually these types of battles have the MC end everything, delivering this obnoxious "my friends are my power (but not really lol)" speech, but it was just great all around
I loved Wiz's moment too. I was never the biggest Wiz fan, but she actually feels like an actual character now
I loved how the Axis cultists contributed to the boss fight, haha

ヽ( ´ー`)ノ

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. Episode 8
C7Pk5hYX0AAP4bf.jpg:small

What a lovely episode, Nino and his father backstory and tieing into the princess mystery as well as Jean was lovely and filled with answers. The school moment was cute too.

Suite Precure 7

There's a bit more fighting of course, and we gain Otokichi, a clearly mysterious old man. If not for the next episode, the fighting would be over. They realize things can go back to how they use to, or even better. Hell, the third image, Hibiki finishes that very sentence after Kanade starts it, and they proceeded to stare at each other before apologizing for what they did. The fighting of course, gives that sense to how it can be a favorite duo for Precure fans, since it gives it additional depth compared to some other friendships.

Quasar

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu 11

The girls continue their trip around the peninsula and Hiromi gets a lesson in a blood sugar crash. Saw that coming after she said all she ate for breakfast was yogurt and they've been biking nonstop all day.

That really was a nice episode. I've really quite enjoyed this show.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist S2 Ep. 11
This was a pretty darn good way to kill off this giant demon. They built it up nice the past couple episodes and even added that new twist into it at the end to finish things off. Next week is the final episode of this arc, but I really hope they adapt more of the show.

Shiori was also boss like usual.

Hand Shakers Episode 8 – Sing a Sonic
C7PrdcDXgAIS0Zj.jpg:small
C7PsfLdX4AAq8Kl.jpg:small

C7Pr9FsWkAQgHDN.jpg:small
C7PqlyoXkAUr2v9.jpg:small

Piercing Damage Tazuna was perhaps his best moment for me but I wish it was more powerful. Komada, with the light saber though almost beat him out for best move.

Kind of wish Tazuna could have done more this episode than just stay on the defensive, but they were just caught completely off guard. He didnt even have time to go into his white haired mode, but next episode, it appears it happens. Oh well the idol is kind of good cause of how fast she can move.

tumblr_om58ayW9eV1uxybkho7_500.gif

Konosuba S2 2

I'm impressed with the work DEEN digital has been doing this year. I noticed from the first episode of Rakugo Shinjuu S2 that the photography was more ambitious than the first season - greater use of lens focus and varied filtering to set the proper mood - and here too, there's much more depth and subtlety in the photography work than I'd have expected from a work like this.

Even in a scene like this, notice the depth that's created by the multi-layered texture of the clouds and sky. And the clouds in this shot are constantly moving in a complicated multiplane camera, culminating in a reveal of the sun and its rays which change the lighting of the entire image and cast shadows across and behind the character:

For a work that celebrates unrefined animation, the photography is the height of refinement.

Suite Precure 8

The episode certainly shows how Kanade took Hibiki's declaration of no longer being a true friend. She didn't fight back through arguments, she just went to her when Hibiki really needed her the most. A moment that certainly touched Siren, as well as different actions done by Hibiki to defend her while she was disguised as Sakura Houjou (fucking seriously though, you pick the same last name as Hibiki just to show off your studies smh).

Despite Siren doing something that was pretty cruel, there was definitely a sense of remorse that was planted the moment she was called a good girl, and one of the earliest points to indicate that she was going to change sides at some point.

Aki-at

Tiger Mask W - 4

This show is amazing, this fight was amazing, should I stop or should I watch another one before bed.

King of the Wild portion of the end is stuck in my head.

Berserk 1997

No funner way to spend a lazy Saturday than binging this series. I previously watched the Golden Age Film Trilogy back in December and decided to finally watch the original anime adaptation since Funimation will be releasing the Dub on their app next week.

Pretty "enjoyable" experience overall. That ending though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom