• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sölf

Episode 1 is just the movie cut into a television epsiode.

And yes as far as I can see there is (sadly) no flashbacks to when the characters meet. This very much seems to be Aram's story rather than the volunteer army.
As far as I've read online, the movie is the first 4 episodes tucked together as a pre screening and the staff sees the anime as the main material, not the movies.

Aki-at

Sölf;227879263 said:
As far as I've read online, the movie is the first 4 episodes tucked together as a pre screening and the staff sees the anime as the main material, not the movies.

Oh yeah that's what I meant, Episode 1 of the anime series is the first "episode" of the anime movie, so if you want you can probably skip to episode 4 of the anime series by just watching all of the movie.

There wasn't any new scenes in the anime episode from what I skimmed through either so I doubt they'll add anything else.

blurr

Kuromukuro 18

Onsen episode did not go the way I was expecting it to go, wow; it didn't even have to bring in a bear.

BluWacky

Little Witch Academia OP. Not super flashy, and very blue (!), but good enough and a decent song choice.

I suppose we find out tomorrow if the weekly Netflix release schedule is Japan-only - but at least Kuromukuro set the precedent for English subtitles being available from first showing.

phaze

Planetes 14
And they lived happily ever after.

Hopefully cause I found this love rectangle pretty unbearable.

Captain Earth 14
024437q0knc.jpg
024454dijt1.jpg
024457isj1y.jpg

Goodbye Miss Bland.

Welcome Miss DRAAAAMAAAA

Aoi Bungaku 07-08

Pretty bad all around. There was an interesting idea here to show a story from two viewpoints but by withdrawing 3/4 quarters of relevant scenes from each of those, it feels pretty damn manipulative and without any regard for character's personality from the other view. The storyboarding takes a giant tumble from the preceding arcs and some of the music choices I found just abhorrent. Not really fond of this guy's designs either but at least Onihei looks better. from what I've seen.

Kansoku

Finally posted my AotY. Was going to wait to see if I could watch Koe no Katachi, Kimi no Na wa and Kizu 2 before the voting ends but it doesn't seem likely so I just said fuck it and posted what I had.

Ended up voting for Kizu 2 still :lol.

Idol Jihen 01

What a great timing to air a anime about "Make Japan great again".
Yeah i guess Idol is the key point to make Japan great again so let's choose them as member of parliament lol.

Cornbread78

Isn't this only supposed to be with the 3 that are in the poster, and if it does well, the rest in a second season? I feel like I read this here.

I believe ypur right, but that doesn't mean they can't give us a nugget like we got in Trails of Cold Steel, ir the SNAFU vita game, lol.

MSMrRound

Shoukgeki no Soma OVA

Summer/beach episode! (Takes place before the Elections arc). Ahh I miss the show. Was good seeing the gang animated again. Hopefully the manga can get out of its slump soon (though a third season doesn't seem very likely)

Aki-at

How's Classicaloid? has it finished airing? don't see anyone posting about it. Also, Hamauzu!!!!

Still going but we're at that point where the main villain (?) has been revealed and the heroes are like twitching their thumbs and stuff.

I think it's about 25 episodes long and we've just hit episode 13.

Maybe you're not used to the concept of limited animation.It can be jarring coming from something animated on 1s but it's been it's own approach for awhile now and endemic in anime. Old sakuga panel iso vid might help illustrate where some are coming from here.

Ah ok. I've always seen limited animation but I didnt know it was its own thing. Always thought it was a budget decision and not something deliberate. Thanks for the link, gonna watch through the whole thing!

I don't think fluidity is really the best consideration for quality of animation when it comes to appreciation, especially in anime. Anime by nature of the industry and the culture over the decades relies on more limited and and by definition less fluid animation compared to western animation principles.

With regards to logical transitions and good physics, I agree this is far more important. But I think I can express it in a more general way that applies to all art styles. The importance isn't how realistic something is, because animation tends to explore the more fantastical. So when it comes to animation transitions and properties of physics, we don't necessarily want to compare it to the ones in reality. But it is very important to convey the feeling that the animator does understand how these properties work, before they take advantage of it create something outside of natural rules.

So what we can look for is elements of reality applied in things which might have no grounding in reality, if the scene calls for it. If two superhuman dudes are brawling it out in the sky and they are flying around with the aid of powers or whatever and blasting beams while swinging swords, the important part is not "damn, this makes no sense how are they even defying gravity?" because that's honestly a stupid question and doesn't matter. What would matter would be the nuances in the movement and seeing how the animator has chosen to convey the subjects defying gravity and what impact this has on the momentum of their movements. When they use energy blasts, is there a satisfying sense of feedback to show the strength of the blast? As their swords clash does it feel like there is real impact and strength behind the motions? All the little things make the animation feel more exciting and add weight to the movement of characters.

Another interesting form of fantastical animation is morphing. Look at this example: https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/4625

There is zero basis in reality in terms of whatever that thing is transforming into a person. We don't know what properties the matter has and why it behaves the way it does. But yet it looks great because it shows a great understanding of human anatomy and how things "feel". Every little subtle movement as part of the transformation looks like a person breaking out of some weird gooey shell of sorts.

But I don't think any of this really answers the question you want to ask which is "what is bad animation and why is some things which look bad to me considered really good to other people" and this is where I'm going to point something out: Animation is art, and as such art is in the eyes of the beholder. When it comes to technical elements, as long as there is a good amount of talent and effort shown, it's not "objectively bad" animation. Most animation isn't. The ones which are objectively bad are incomplete animation or just bad looking stuff which was clearly rushed and pretty much everyone will agree. When it comes to people arguing over whether stylized types of animation are "good" or "bad" it is very subjective, and even the people who love it should recognize that there is no objective truth. The purpose of art is to express yourself and to also communicate something to an audience. If someone doesn't like what is communicated, that is also a fair response.

Yes, exactly. Thats a great way to express it. I couldn't properly describe the issues I had with some animation but it was usually because it didn't apply things from reality in a satisfying manner, like lack of momentum or impact. As for art style, there are some stuff I can look past and some I just can't, but that's fine I suppose. Individual taste and all.

Appreciate the write up and explanations 👍🏽

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 14 – Face the Black Blight!
C1qijPWW8AIEmv1.jpg:small

Excellent funny moment in such an intense time.

Sad about what happened to Ratha, Im surprised they keep having death and loss in this anime. First Cheval's mom and now the blight filled monster, whose next :(

BluWacky

Little Witch Academia 1

Sucy is Filipino; Tagalog is read left-to-right, why does she read right-to-left?

First off - I enjoyed the first OVA, and felt the second was rather superfluous. There's no real changes to characterisation or anything in particular; not that the characters in LWA are particularly intriguing or anything, but they aren't exactly unlikeable either.

Obviously there is less bombast than there was in the first OVA but this is still a treat for fans of cartoony animation in particular (Akko is a moron...). The Shiny Chariot performance that opens the series is still spectacular, and the main action sequence of the second part of the episode is exciting and creative. The first episode benefits from not having to cram everything in to twenty minutes and changes up some things to fit the expanded running time, most notably
where Akko gets the Shiny Rod from, which clearly has some kind of season-long significance rather than "ohIjustfoundit"
; it will, of course, remain to be seen whether any kind of compelling storyline will be in evidence - this is very much "first episode of a children's adventure story" stuff.

It's refreshing to see something so resolutely "cartoony", for all that entails.

sonicmj1

Idol Jihen 1

Truly a show for our post-fact political era.

Whatever its merits are, I don't think I'm going to be able to get over Crunchyroll's official subs deciding the appropriate term for a female member of the Japanese Diet is "Dietwoman".

elDLIVE 1

Good start, only issue is theres really nothing truly excited if one has read the already longer than usual page counts manga. I had reread chapter one about three times so everything in this felt by the books, though I still loved hearing Chuuta talking to himself more here, and also a lot of the music is great.

The ending moment when he's upside down and looking up and then back to the skirt and the music slowing down almost in reverse was great.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
elDLIVE Episode 1:

This might be the most painfully generic show I have attempted to watch this season, which is kind of impressive actually.

elDLIVE 1
7b293320fc403fb45d29bf6e6b93a8af.jpg

This was an awesome first episode, seeing the artstyle of Akira Amano so well adapted once again was great! Loving the colours and loving the characters!

Also Reborn! cameo!
7d641754f14cb478a1dcd90f0de73546.jpg

Next up Zestiria!

Battle Girl High School Anime Slated to Air in the Summer.

The school action role-playing game is set in the year 2045. The world has been contaminated by Irōsu (mysterious invaders who suddenly appeared), and humans find themselves restricted and contained. Standing boldly against these invaders are ordinary girls everywhere, without a powerful army or even weapons. The Shinjugammine Girls Academy is a school for these "Hoshimori" (Star Guardians) destined to fight the Irōsu. The player is assigned to this academy to train the girls and take back the contaminated Earth.

BEHOLD. THE MOST BLATANT ANIME TITLE EVER MADE.

duckroll

As I lie in bed unable to sleep, a revelation has dawned upon me. Perhaps all anime is bad. And people who watch anime are all sinners.

Ascheroth

elDLIVE #1

After Space Patrol Luluco, there is now Space Police elDLIVE! (yeah I know the manga it's based on came earlier :p)
Anyway, strong start. The premise isn't particularly novel ('regular' boy gets chosen by special organisation to fight bad guys and awakens his power in the process), but the way it was presented was interesting and fun to watch regardless, mostly because of the very varied and creative alien designs, nice animation, snappy direction and great soundtrack. (It hit me towards the end that it had to be the Fairy Tail composer).

Great opening too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Boy, they really ratched up Akitsuki's tsundere levels in this. She isn't tsundere at all, she's much closer to "plucky girl" than tsundere, but for some reason she's starting off angry at the dude all the time.

Saga of Tanya the Evil (Youjo Senki) – 01

That was fun. That was really, really fun. The female character designs are awful and the bug-eyed girl looks like a monstrosity but other than that I really, really enjoyed this. The show didn't drop a whole bunch of jargon or explanatory nonsense, just straight into the action. And wow the action was really good. Probably because the music was really pumped I found myself with a big grin during all the action scenes. Use of a little girl is kinda rubbish since the story seems like it would work with her being a 18-20 year old but Ill see if they can make something of it.

I don't know if other people will like it because I am pretty fine with seeing OP characters breaking shit but I foresee that the tension will be brought on by managerial issues rather than a lack of combat prowess.

Seraph of the End rewatch

Man rewatching this with now having further knowledge about the universe of Seraph itself through the manga and the light novel makes for such a difference experience. It makes the things that seemed little so much cooler to notice. Also wow Crowley just trolled everybody so hard...god damn.

I need to actually watch my BDs. Though Ive still been listening to the ost and music cds all the time. I wish Insanity Love had been used in the anime.

Tales of Zestiria the X 13

The crew is back and they continue just like it never stopped. Mayvin makes his first appearance! Low actions this episode, but I still greatly enjoyed it purely from just the awesome character interactions.

As for the opening, I liked Kaze no uta more, but this new one is pretty good

My Fridays and Sundays are going to be my favourite days of the week for quite a while.

I need to actually watch my BDs. Though Ive still been listening to the ost and music cds all the time. I wish Insanity Love had been used in the anime.

I marathoned the entire second season yesterday with the marathon play option on funimation blu ray anmd boy it was great! I just love the different version of opening 1 they use throughout the whole thing, since it's just amazing. I also really liked how they made the 2nd vs 5th trumpet just sooooooo much cooler.

Taruranto

As I lie in bed unable to sleep, a revelation has dawned upon me. Perhaps all anime is bad. And people who watch anime are all sinners.

I heard in heaven they only watch anime like K-on or
Prisma/Illya
while people in hell get cool stuff like Rakugo and YoI.

So if anime is sin, I want to be a sinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom