• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Konosuba S2 episode 1

Yay , it's finally back !

qJDNKR2.gif

The animation quality is still the same as in S1 , but the first episode was alredy really funny.

Maid Dragon 1
This episode felt like it would never end. I didn't find any of it funny and I spent much of the episode wondering where the punchline was supposed to be. Maybe Kyoani is cursed to have Fumoffu as the only good comedy that they will ever put together.

Ascheroth

Konosuba S2 #1

Scumbag Kazuma is back in action! Laughed my ass off the entire time.
Using this as a starting point for a second season is actually brilliant since the trial was a natural way to quickly go over the key-points of last season as well as the characters, while not even feeling like it's recapping things at all.

Yeah I can't say say I found Dragon Maid to be especially funny when it comes to its jokes, though that may be mostly just to anime comedies in general mostly not being able to phaze me that much.

I think there's only two comedy-focused shows where I REALLY laughed at their jokes and that's Gintama and Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.

Qurupeke

Are you sure that's different from the first season? Kikuta's designs and animation approach deliberately emphasize off-kilter, deformed, what some would call "derpy" art and animation.

Yes, this is why I'm not sure if it's deliberate. Tbh, S1 wasn't a looker either and this episode had a lot of cartoon-y moments, but even when the characters were supposed to look normal, they seemed a bit weird to me. Expressions that were off mostly.

Yeah I can't say say I found Dragon Maid to be especially funny when it comes to its jokes, though that may be mostly just to anime comedies in general mostly not being able to phaze me that much.

I think there's only two comedy-focused shows where I REALLY laughed at their jokes and that's Gintama and Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.

I really have to watch Full Metal Panic one of these days.

Gintama is the golden standard. It's the Arrested Development to every other shows' Johnny Test

I really have to watch Full Metal Panic one of these days.

With the long-awaited upcoming forth season this year (IIRC), now would be a better time than ever.

Sousuke constantly applying military logic to everyday mundane high school activities is still some of the funniest comedy I've ever seen in an anime.

PK Gaming

Yeah okay I guess Maidragon was worse than I thought

BUT I liked the source material even if it was super duper basic so i'm all good

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Konosuba Season 2, Episode 1:

Another sequel that has not lot a step over a year long break, I can go with it, I still don't find this series to be the second coming of comedy, but it is still amusing enough, especally in this deadass season.

I don't know if I'll ever get into Konosuba.

On the one hand it feels like something I should enjoy. A harem anime that actually has a semblance of good character interaction and comedy and isn't just an excuse to get a self-insert MC laid coupled up with terrible drama? Sounds fun!

But none of its comedy has ever struck with me. It feels less meandering and pandering compared to other shows I've seen, but I can't say I ever found the main group to be a laugh riot.

sonicmj1

I enjoyed Maidragon (not particularly funny, but it was cute and I like the tone), but couldn't even finish the first episode of Gabriel Dropout. Now I feel like the odd one out.

Firemind

Get outta here man

You're talking to the leading expert in all things dragons
I was commanding vast dragon armies when you were probably still in your nappies playing Spyro the Dragon on your brother's PSX.

Also, Godzilla isn't a dragon. It's a souped up radioactive lizard.

On the one hand it feels like something I should enjoy. A harem anime that actually has a semblance of good character interaction and comedy and isn't just an excuse to get a self-insert MC laid coupled up with terrible drama? Sounds fun!

But none of its comedy has ever struck with me. It feels less meandering and pandering compared to other shows I've seen, but I can't say I ever found the main group to be a laugh riot.

Gotta learn to laugh dude!

I also forgot Yamishibi is also this season and I am so pumped for that!

High School Girls Cycling 1

zzzzzzzz

That was awfully boring

Yeah I never got it either. It wasnt bad but the comedy just didnt do it for me.

Qurupeke

Yeah okay I guess Maidragon was worse than I thought

BUT I liked the source material even if it was super duper basic so i'm all good

I read the negative opinions on the show, but I still think it's, at worst, watchable. I was mostly amused by the whole premise rather than the jokes' themselves, though I still found it funny at times. It's a cute, good looking and relaxing show and it didn't bore me at all, while it also gave me some laughs.

PK Gaming

I read the negative opinions on the show, but I still think it's, at worst, watchable. I was mostly amused by the whole premise rather than the jokes' themselves, though I still found it funny at times. It's a cute, good looking and relaxing show and it didn't bore me at all, while it also gave me some laughs.

That's a good way of putting it.

I'm not going to say "turn off your brain to enjoy it" but I never found myself looking at the clock like with some comedy anime. And the visuals are so nice. Like "your dad bought you air jordans" nice.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The premise is just generic magical girlfriend / monster girl vs. the modern world fare. Similarities to something like Nyaruko-san.

kewlmyc

Also, while DEEN managed to make Rakugo S2 as good looking as S1, this isn't the case on Konosuba. At all. Not sure if it's deliberate or not, but it looks really off sometimes.

The show has always had a derpy artstyle to it. Adds to the charm and comedy imo.

Other people have made that Shinbo connection with Takemoto in the past, such as in his work on Hyouka and the visual symbolism and abstractions it sometimes engages in.

Yeah, I'd never really thought about his style in that context before, but it does make sense. I'd love an animestyle interview with Takemoto that addresses his style, assuming one doesn't already exist.

I enjoyed Maidragon (not particularly funny, but it was cute and I like the tone), but couldn't even finish the first episode of Gabriel Dropout. Now I feel like the odd one out.

I wasn't thrilled with Maidragon, but I'm 100% with you on Gabriel Dropout. There was some great cartoon animation in GD and it still barely moved the needle for me.

Cornbread78

Konosuba S2 ep.1
Aren't you guys glad I made you all watch this last year when you all said it would be pure $hit? tee hee hee

This was awesome, welcome back to making me laugh my a$$ off Konosuba! Kazuma you useless freak!

Qurupeke

The premise is just generic magical girlfriend / monster girl vs. the modern world fare. Similarities to something like Nyaruko-san.

I'd like to think that these similarities are there because this is the first episode. I'm expecting that the show will emphasize Kobayashi's and Tohru's atypical relationship rather than focusing on Tohru's shortcomings dealing with the human world. And I fail to see how it's generic when both of the characters are female.

Moreover, while the dragons fall to the monster girl category, I think there's some really praiseworthy attention to the details that makes the show stand out for me. Like, the design of the dragon, even having a nictitating membrane, the several trivia about the body of a dragon that were used on the various gags and even the mentions of known mythological dragons like Fafnir, Nidhogg and Quetzalcoatl.

Aki-at

I was commanding vast dragon armies when you were probably still in your nappies playing Spyro the Dragon on your brother's PSX.

Also, Godzilla isn't a dragon. It's a souped up radioactive lizard.

I take offence at this.

Godzilla is a radioactive DINOSAUR. Dinosaurs are not lizards. Such disregard for basic kaiju understanding.

Jarmel

Banned
I've been reading the source material today and something that struck me is that it's a 'fish out of water' sort of story but they're not doing much with that premise. It's a shame that Gatoh isn't working on it as this is his speciality. It's not awful but I do think it could have been reworked to fit a 20 minute format better while still retaining all of the jokes.

gargles

Konosuba! S2 - 1

Kazuma, you monster. I missed you. And it's always good watching Darkness (my favourite) taking action and saving the day (even in her own way).
The party is back. It was a good start.

Nyaruko's entire premise is badly using Lovecraft (about as well as a Hot Topic shopper who buys chibi-Cthulu stickers) while filling that void with more empty references then an Ernest Cline novel. It also features the most spineless, sniveling MC I've ever seen. Maidragon is none of that, and looks far better to boot.

C16oZ-cXcAAaMwG.jpg

:ANN

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'd like to think that these similarities are there because this is the first episode. I'm expecting that the show will emphasize Kobayashi's and Tohru's atypical relationship rather than focusing on Tohru's shortcomings dealing with the human world. And I fail to see how it's generic when both of the characters are female.

Moreover, while the dragons fall to the monster girl category, I think there's some really praiseworthy attention to the details that makes the show stand out for me. Like, the design of the dragon, even having a nictitating membrane, the several trivia about the body of a dragon that were used on the various gags and even the mentions of known mythological dragons like Fafnir, Nidhogg and Quetzalcoatl.
I mean, having zero familiarity with the source material but knowing how these things go it's just going to focus on expanding a cast because that is what you do in a comedy with simple characters. Kobayashi's relationship with Tohru is primarily atypical because Thoru does not know how the human world works and I don't really see a deviation from that being the focus of the series.

I don't think having a girl being the magical girlfriend of a girl somehow makes the concept novel either unless there is some sort of commentary on being gay either. As it is the gender of the main character is not really relevant. In the end the show is pandering to men so who is that stuff really for?

And if the animation does a good job with the attention to detail how much does that matter if the jokes do not see the same careful curation? We get a skit that ends with the maid dragon stripping, then we get some skit about how the clothes are actually her scales, and then somehow she changes into an outfit that was bought for her. Drop the thinking meme here.........
Nyaruko's entire premise is badly using Lovecraft (about as well as a Hot Topic shopper who buys chibi-Cthulu stickers) while filling that void with more empty references then an Ernest Cline novel. It also features the most spineless, sniveling MC I've ever seen. Maidragon is none of that, and looks far better to boot.
I'm talking at the basest level where your dumb ancient lore magic girlfriend moves in with someone who wants none of it. Expanded cast of other magical creatures follows along for antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom