• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been out of anime for a while. Last 'new' show I watched was Sora no Otoshimono. I also liked Kampfer. Before that was To Love Ru.

Anything I should be looking out for along those lines?

He sounds like Raiden. Or maybe Dio from VLR. Either way he keeps reminding me he's only 20.

Your post reminded me about this whopper I wanted to share.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3xEfqdc.jpg[/IMG]

Sword of Dios. Ha. For you Utena and VLR fans. ;)

Haganai might be up your alley, I suppose.

Thanks! I've played anime-esque games, but haven't sat down with a series in a while. I've never played Persona, so checking out 4 now. Is the Anime series worth checking out too? or only after completing the game?

trejo

So I've been out of anime for a while. Last 'new' show I watched was Sora no Otoshimono. I also liked Kampfer. Before that was To Love Ru.

Anything I should be looking out for along those lines?

This season has Senran Kagura and Bokutomo NEXT for all your pervy hijinx needs. Also, you can join the rest of AnimeGAF in waiting for more delicious To Love Ru Darkness BDs.

Thanks! I've played anime-esque games, but haven't sat down with a series in a while. I've never played Persona, so checking out 4 now. Is the Anime series worth checking out too? or only after completing the game?

The anime is not worth checking out before, during or after, imo. Just play the game instead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aren't they all dubbed over? It looked/sounded that way to me. The Rome scenes were filmed on sets in Italy so the vast majority of the Westerners in the film are Italian.

Lucius does speak in Latin when he first arrives in modern Japan. It's almost completely incomprehensible, of course. And you'll have obviously noticed that the opening narration is in Latin.

Honestly, I didn't watch the entire movie. I was more curious to see how they would handle all the foreigner stuff because of the "race bending" (lol).

I'm surprised that Japanese films seem to have budgets though. Why does most of the pop fluff usually look so cheap? :p

Chihayafuru S2 2

As if we needed more proof that Kana is the best.

Edit: I'm also enjoying the new guys attempts to lick his lips and looks like a creepy raper guy.

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE 19

Wait, if the Vagan have the materials and funds to build their ridiculous Tekkaman mobile suits, why don't they siphon those funds toward settling Mars? Why bother taking over Earth at all? It seems ridiculously expensive and contrived.
despite all their ressources they don't know how to stop the mars rays ... they could have spent years of research to maybe find a cure but i guess they wanted a 100 year "quick" solution.
Yes this explanation looks dumb but that's how gundam age is.
Goddamn, you know a plot sucks when Marvin the Martian is more straightforward than these cheap ass Martian Successor rip offs.

Flit is the worst father ever. He CHOSE to send his son to a military academy. Like, Asemu didn't decide to go, FLIT MADE HIM GO. For a savior he is a downright warmonger and the inevitable proof at the end of the series that he was right will piss me off.
Flit decided this the first ep of the new arc that his son must inherit his rage and despair .. he decided so he has to deal with it

DANG ROMARY'S MOM IS HAWT. OH NO DIQUE'S DAUGHTER IS KIND OF HOT BUT WITH HIS NOSE. OH NO DIQUE HAD SEX WITH A WOMAN AND GOT HER PREGNANT NOOOOOOOOOO. AHAHAHA Gundam AGE-2 is in bird mode but with ye old Gundam head slapped on top you have to be joking me. Hahahaha.

"Mr. Woolf was my dad always a cold, uncaring ass who would send people to die in battle for his whims?"
"Kid, he forced two different ethnic groups to die for him, what do you think?"
this conversation is stupid..why do you try to make sense of it ...You bet asemu learned all that stuff already at the academy !

Is there a worse designed Gundam than the Gundam AGE?

NO OF COURSE NOT.
You haven't seen the worst yet

How is Asemu a corporal already? Do they hand out ranks like candy to children? How is he good at piloting the Gundam when he's only been in it THRICE?
2 things ..dad help and his exclusive use of gundam AGE-2 ..i think that's enough to get a solid rank .

(yes i know it's stupid )

The mecha action is good and the characters are somewhat less awful, but it's still crap.
Everyone agrees ...

Currently watching: MSG, MSGA, E7, Rah Xephon
Have also watched: FMP/Fumoffu/TSR, Evangelion/Rebuild, Zoids NCZ, Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED Destiny, Martian Sucessor Nadesico.
Pretty good even without the stuff you added later . it's obvious you'll reach the same conclusions as everyone else given what you've already seen.

i'm intrested in a gundam age opinion from someone who hasn't much a mecha anime experience.... i still think they'll find it awefull ..but that's another insight that might be fun to follow.

I think that covers it.

I did not make it past the first five minutes of Linebarrels. The OP was horrid and the women were shrill.

Again good taste. i stopped at episode 1 . and you missed nothing except bad mecha animation

sonicmj1

I wanted to believe there was no yuri in Tamako Market 2 as much as anyone, but I think this sequence was pretty unambiguous. I mean, look at the montage after Midori repeats (in Japanese) her grandfather's slogan "Everybody loves somebody."

iHc1hFmg8pdmZ.jpg

ibuhcxwytghicZ.jpg

ijlosg6saD8P2.jpg

icTGNqLgmiUWU.jpg

ibhq5dSyPvTfbs.jpg

The montage also begins with her looking over her left shoulder. The person immediately behind her is Tamako.

It's pretty obvious where Midori's focus is.

I like how it's handled in this episode, though. She has a crush on a friend, but it doesn't turn into some sort of idolatry, an excuse for groping, or a debilitating disease that keeps her from forming complete sentences. Her feelings are shown through editing and through her reactions to some of Tamako's comments, but she still tries to maintain their normal friendship. It rings pretty true to me.

Defuser

Chihayafuru S2 ep 2

Hanano is really annoying but I guess she changed her attitude now. The shows need to go to the tournaments event straight away.

This season has Senran Kagura and Bokutomo NEXT for all your pervy hijinx needs. Also, you can join the rest of AnimeGAF in waiting for more delicious To Love Ru Darkness BDs.

The anime is not worth checking out before, during or after, imo. Just play the game instead.

Ha, Thanks on both points. Riko is my favorite character in case you couldn't guess. :D

As for Persona, thanks for the heads up, hadn't heard much good out there, really.

trejo

Chihayafuru S2 ep 2

Hanano is really annoying but I guess she changed her attitude now. The shows need to go to the tournaments event straight away.

Granted, I haven't watched the episode yet but I'd say the longer they put off the karuta aspect of the show the better.

Shakugan no Shana Final 18

So once again, another episode where most of it was spent on WORDS and then we get some action where newly introduced characters outshine the boring main characters.

Seriously, we got a guy who summons meteors, a girl who summons fish to drown them and a guy who gets carried by his rock zombies that sucks up enemies. And instead of seeing them wreck stuff for more than 3 minutes, we listen to WORDS from the main cast about something.

Chihayafuru S2 ep 2

I don't want them to just rush to the next tournament. Character development is important, and this episode managed to have development for a lot of the characters, even those who didn't have that many scenes.

wonzo

Banned
I wanted to believe there was no yuri in Tamako Market 2 as much as anyone, but I think this sequence was pretty unambiguous. I mean, look at the montage after Midori repeats (in Japanese) her grandfather's slogan "Everybody loves somebody."

It's pretty obvious where Midori's focus is.

I like how it's handled in this episode, though. She has a crush on a friend, but it doesn't turn into some sort of idolatry, an excuse for groping, or a debilitating disease that keeps her from forming complete sentences. Her feelings are shown through editing and through her reactions to some of Tamako's comments, but she still tries to maintain their normal friendship. It rings pretty true to me.
Yeah, it's made perfectly clear thanks to the editing that Midori has feelings for Tamako.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
There is no question of the obvious yuri that was in the second episode of Tamako Market. Anyone saying otherwise needs their vision checked and a punch to their throat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't want them to just rush to the next tournament. Character development is important, and this episode managed to have development for a lot of the characters, even those who didn't have that many scenes.

Don't worry, I'm sure that about 15 of the 25 episodes will be devoted to playing karuta at the tournaments. lol

Don't worry, I'm sure that about 15 of the 25 episodes will be devoted to playing karuta at the tournaments. lol

I mean, I like the karuta matches, too. I want to see that stuff, I just don't feel like they should rush straight to it.

So far, both episodes of the new season have been very good, so I'm just hoping they keep it up.

CorvoSol

Your post reminded me about this whopper I wanted to share.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3xEfqdc.jpg[/IMG]

Sword of Dios. Ha. For you Utena and VLR fans. ;)

I don't get it.

despite all their ressources they don't know how to stop the mars rays ... they could have spent years of research to maybe find a cure but i guess they wanted a 100 year "quick" solution.
Yes this explanation looks dumb but that's how gundam age is.

The heck is a Mars Ray? Baaaaaaaaaaabies.

Flit decided this the first ep of the new arc that his son must inherit his rage and despair .. he decided so he has to deal with it

Okay so what you're saying is that Flit Asuno, the so called hero and savior of the show, is actually the most evil guy in it? Like, seriously, deciding someone else's life for them was a villain's plan in a previous Gundam, and look how that wound up.

this conversation is stupid..why do you try to make sense of it ...You bet asemu learned all that stuff already at the academy !
Well now I will have nightmares.

You haven't seen the worst yet
Well it'd help if the Gundam AGE couldn't best be described as "Think of the most boring, bland, uninteresting, generic Gundam ever. THERE YOU GO.

2 things ..dad help and his exclusive use of gundam AGE-2 ..i think that's enough to get a solid rank .

(yes i know it's stupid )
It's insulting is what it is. Asemu whines that the other boys are gonna pick on him because daddy is a soldier so maybe he gets special treatment, and while Flit is easily the worst father of all time, Asemu is still getting special treatment. He gets a special NO ONE BUT ASUNOS CAN TOUCH model Gundam, is already a corporal, and oh yeah, his squad leader and the chief mechanic are his father's "friends". Except Flit has no friends.

I bet Flit cried and wept Yurin's name the first time he did it with Not-Frau-Bow because he's a terrible human being who has no friends and only married Not-Frau-Bow because his first pick got murdered by a toddler.

Code Geass 1 Yeaaaaah. Uuuum. I don't think this show is for me. Maybe it's cool and all but grim-dark, anorexic, nationalistic Golbez-Wannabes just aren't doing it for me. I'm sure it's a really special show and really cool but . . . it's not for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mean, I like the karuta matches, too. I want to see that stuff, I just don't feel like they should rush straight to it.

So far, both episodes of the new season have been very good, so I'm just hoping they keep it up.
You know what. I'm hoping that after a year or so, they've found a way to change up how they direct and pace the karuta episodes. I'm not that hopeful and expect slow pans of the cards and the player's faces over and over again, but there were times when they tried to make the poems come to life that was exciting to watch.

If they can do more of that, I suppose I could be persuaded that the games are worth seeing for large stretches at a time.

SDBurton, meet Kayos90.
:sdyoston90

zeroshiki

Honestly, I didn't watch the entire movie. I was more curious to see how they would handle all the foreigner stuff because of the "race bending" (lol).

I'm surprised that Japanese films seem to have budgets though. Why does most of the pop fluff usually look so cheap? :p

Thermae Romae was the 2nd biggest movie of the year behind Bravehearts (duckroll says One Piece counts for 2013 not 2012 lol). You better believe it had a budget.

Despite how it looks, SOME Japanese movies have budgets. Its just that the stuff that gets trickled down to the japanophile crowd are invariably cheap cash-ins and/or targeted towards young people so who cares about budgets.

There are exceptions of course. I mean, look at the 20th Century Boys movies trilogy. That shit made 0 sense but it had a really high budget.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There is no question of the obvious yuri that was in the second episode of Tamako Market. Anyone saying otherwise needs their vision checked and a punch to their throat.

Honestly, I thought it was because Midori had a crush on Mochizou but Mochizou likes Tamako. I guess I was wrong...

zeroshiki

Honestly, I thought it was because Midori had a crush on Mochizou but Mochizou likes Tamako. I guess I was wrong...

There's nothing wrong with viewing it through that lens. That the show did not outright say it and that there is some ambiguity obviously means that they wanted to muddle it up and let the yuri goggles people see their thing and the other people who refuse to do so, to see theirs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thermae Romae was the 2nd biggest movie of the year behind Bravehearts (duckroll says One Piece counts for 2013 not 2012 lol). You better believe it had a budget.

Despite how it looks, SOME Japanese movies have budgets. Its just that the stuff that gets trickled down to the japanophile crowd are invariably cheap cash-ins and/or targeted towards young people so who cares about budgets.

There are exceptions of course. I mean, look at the 20th Century Boys movies trilogy. That shit made 0 sense but it had a really high budget.
Yeah, maybe there is such a thing as a big budget Japanese film. lol

Honestly, I was afraid that Space Brothers would be filmed in Japan in someone's basement and that all the white people would be played by Japanese actors... so I'm glad that there are ambitious films out there, even if they're not the films that people care about (no idols and no artfilm cred).

How did Space Brothers do anyway? Did anyone in Japan watch it? lol

There's nothing wrong with viewing it through that lens. That the show did not outright say it and that there is some ambiguity obviously means that they wanted to muddle it up and let the yuri goggles people see their thing and the other people who refuse to do so, to see theirs.
Yuri goggles are fogging up way too much in this thread.

Aniplex of America livepanel has revealed that Nisemonogatari will get a Blu Ray LE boxset Announced 2/26/2013. Pre-orders begin Monday, January 21, 11 eps on 5 BDs. Dual subtitle streams, 36 pg book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom