• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout HD's release date is September 25th (US, UK)

I'm apprehensive about the online mode. With Pulse we got online but it was kind of barren. The add-on packs also didn't work online so I'm curious whether the add-ons for HD will be playable online.

Banned
LiK said:
or use a PC monitor, unless especially if it's one of those old CRTs
Fixed. CRT monitors are the best gaming displays around—lowest output lag, best motion handling, best black levels, highest resolution. (1080p on a 19ʺ screen, which is really 17.5ʺ with letterboxing, so 125 PPI)

Concept17

65536 said:
Fixed. CRT monitors are the best gaming displays around—lowest output lag, best motion handling, best black levels, highest resolution. (1080p on a 19ʺ screen, which is really 17.5ʺ with letterboxing, so 125 PPI)

I disagree. I have no problems with my flat panel. They've surpassed CRTs imo. I can't stand the though of using one ever agian.

LiK

Concept17 said:
I disagree. I have no problems with my flat panel. They've surpassed CRTs imo. I can't stand the though of using one ever agian.

yea, LCDs work quite well these days, i have no need to return to CRTs for gaming anymore. plus, they save you so much damn room on your desk.

maxax

I didn't like Wipeout Pure very much, it was the only Wipeout I ever played..

But for $20 and 38 trophies I'll definitely give it another chance.

neight

Banned
Concept17 said:
If you want the best motion resolution and contrast on a fixed pixel panel you're going to have to get a plasma.
The difference between a good quality plasma and a CRT isn't worth fretting about. Especially when you take into considering the geometry and convergence problems CRTs have.

LiK

neight said:
If you want the best motion resolution and contrast on a fixed pixel panel you're going to have to get a plasma.
The difference between a good quality plasma and a CRT isn't worth fretting about. Especially when you take into considering the geometry and convergence problems CRTs have.

oh yes, i will enjoy wipeout HD on my 50" plasma :D

Banned
neight said:
Geometry isn't really an issue for a good CRT monitor. Plasmas, while better than most other new display technologies, are still way behind CRT when it comes to handling fast motion… which is kind-of important with a game like WipEout.

And then there are all the other problems that Plasma has that CRT and other technologies don't.

neight

Banned
65536 said:
Geometry isn't really an issue for a good CRT monitor. Plasmas, while better than most other new display technologies, are still way behind CRT when it comes to handling fast motion… which is kind-of important with a game like WipEout.

And then there are all the other problems that Plasma has that CRT and other technologies don't.
Why would anyone want to game on a monitor. Gaming on anything less than 30'' must suck. The bigger the display the better you can appreciate all the detail and sharpness a high resolution brings. Plasmas are not 'way behind' in motion resolution. A 1080p plasma will be able to keep ~800 lines in motion resolution. Compare that to a 1080p LCD which keeps ~600 lines in motion resolution.

Banned
neight said:
Why would anyone want to game on a monitor. Gaming on anything less than 30'' must suck. Plasmas are not 'way behind' in motion resolution. A plasma will be able to keep ~800 lines in motion resolution. Compare that to a LCD which keeps ~600 lines in motion resolution.
These motion resolution tests were designed with Plasmas in mind — they're fast enough to show off the deficiencies of displays like LCD, but not so fast to show off that Plasmas can't keep up with quick motion either.

Anyway, my post about the CRT was in response to LiK suggesting that Menaged use an LCD monitor rather than an SDTV to play WipEout, implying that a CRT monitor would be a bad choice, when in fact it is a far superior choice to an LCD monitor for gaming.

Certainly I understand that people may choose to go for a bigger screen and sacrifice some quality, but the ultimate gaming display as far as image quality is concerned, rather than image size, is still a good CRT monitor.

For some, Plasmas may be the best compromise, but I would probably look into projection if you want a large screen for gaming. SXRD responds much better than LCD, you will get a much larger image than any Plasma, and without the nasty Plasma artefacts. (phosphor lag, PWM noise/dither, image retention/burn-in to name a few) But all modern displays have their fair share of drawbacks, so you've got to make a big compromise somewhere.

This is getting way off-topic now though.

neight

Banned
65536 said:
Certainly I understand that people may choose to go for a bigger screen and sacrifice some quality, but the ultimate gaming display as far as image quality is concerned, rather than image size, is still a good CRT monitor.
What is the sacrifice is gaming on a smaller monitor in the belief that you're playing with more detail. You do know that the smaller an image is the harder it is to distinguish detail.

Any guess on how big this will be...

I guessing 3GB+ for some reason, which is to f'n long for me. That will takes hours to download :(

Keyser Soze said:

I guessing 3GB+ for some reason, which is to f'n long for me. That will takes hours to download :(
It's been confirmed it'll be 998 MB, or at least the review code is.

65536 said:

Mainly wrong. Geometry, convergence and colorimetry is always an issue for CRT's, all the way up to Grade 1 broadcast monitors. Plasmas handle motion fractionally worse than CRTs. LCD's, however, lag (ha) behind.

Plasma has very few other technical issues these days, it's quite a mature technology. It'll handle Wipeout just fine.

h3ro

Isn't a $20 card pointless for Wipeout though since some states will have tax added on top of the 19.99 which will probably come out to $21 and some change... oh well, thank jeebus for plastic...

thuway said:
Wait what? How can you say that?
slap.gif

OMG :lol :lol :lol :lol

awesome

h3ro said:
Isn't a $20 card pointless for Wipeout though since some states will have tax added on top of the 19.99 which will probably come out to $21 and some change... oh well, thank jeebus for plastic...

someone said that tax is already into the card which makes it out to be what's offered on the card. [e.g. $20 card is $20.] if they charge more kick them in the nuts.

at least the BB in belmont, cali

Jeff said:
I called the store back (I didn’t actually buy it when I was there). They said all taxes are included - the 20 dollar card is 20 bucks.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
h3ro said:

:lol That's true, so maybe that's Sony's angle, get people to buy two 20 dollar cards or one 50 dollar card to make up for the tax. :D

Speevy

Banned
I've determined that every once in a while, we get a game which completely shames the value proposition of other digital downloads.

Wipeout HD has raised the bar.

Shawsie64

Banned
Keyser Soze said:

Hours for you maybe.. im in Australia, 3gb through PSN would take literally fucking days! :lol

Grayman

Speevy said:
I've determined that every once in a while, we get a game which completely shames the value proposition of other digital downloads.

Wipeout HD has raised the bar.
Which other games would you put into that category? BCR? Warhawk?

Grayman

Speevy said:
Those, maybe castle crashers, N+, Go Sudoku, Gripshift
Gripshift, another PSP to PS3 conversion. I sense a trend of success here. Killzone Liberation HD with a focus on the online would have been the bees knees.

I think Pain is a god example of a 5-10 dollar game. There are enough modes and remixes of the content that it feels like a good value. Something like Calling all Cars would have been more enjoyable if the limited content was stretched with variety like Pain is.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Trophies
1080p
60 fps
Wipeout gameplay
Custom Soundtrack
Splitscreen
20 bucks

Incredible.

For what is essentially a budget release Sony Liverpool hasn't skimped on extras. WipEout HD includes some superbly integrated custom soundtrack support, trophies and optional DLC in the future (the PSP games received tons of support post release). It really is an excellent package. It's also worth noting how great it is to see a game running at 1080p. Although we've seen these tracks before seeing them in such sharp detail is a sight to behold and shames many full price releases.

At £12 you've probably already made your mind up about WipEout HD, but in case you're on the fence we whole heartedly recommend you download it as soon as it hits the PlayStation Store. This isn't really WipEout's PS3 debut, being a collection of things we've seen before, but as a teaser to what is surely to come it's a highly polished and tremendously exciting game. If Sony keeps churning out PSN games like this they'll put the retail industry out of business.

9/10

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/wipeout_hd/review.html

reakt

If Sony keeps churning out PSN games like this they'll put the retail industry out of business.

Depends on how you look at it. You could argue that:

By not releasing the game as a physical media, Sony are keeping their PSN in business!

Personally I would like to buy this title on blu-ray rather than download it.

FightyF

Banned
If you own a PS3 and don't buy this game, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Or maybe PSN cards aren't available in your area. :p

Top Bottom