• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout on Playstation 3:Showcase title for Sixaxis controller?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
If Sony Liverpool play their cards right, WipEout PS3 could be a good title to show off what can be done on Sixaxis...

Unlike Lair, which is a new IP, there are scores of WipEout fans out there, so the potential userbase for the PS3 version could be that much bigger, IMO...

My hope is they include extensive sensitivity adjustments and the option to also use both the D-pad and the analog stick for steering, that way skeptical players could ease into Sixaxis control when and if it suits them..

At any rate, I am not 100% sold on Sixaxis control yet, but WipEout PS3 could change that :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think it's a really obvious idea, I can't even count the number of times I've seen my friends lean left and right with the controller while playing previous WipeOut games, especially when using the first-person view.

But in practice, remains to be seen if it ends up being a mere novelty or not. WipeOut games (at least the earlier ones) have relied on turning with precision, even at high speeds. As you said though, making tilt controls an option and adding a lot of precision adjustments available would make it cool and potentially very usable. :)

Draft

I don't see how it's any better a showcase than Lair, which is supposedly built around sixaxis control, and iirc correctly, requires it.

ot: do we really have to type PLAYSTATION 3 and SIXAXIS in caps for the next 5 years?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
as long as it's optional. i don't think tilt controls are suitable for a serious racing game -- you don't know where 'full lock' is, there's necessarily a big deadzone in the middle (otherwise going straight would be an ordeal), and you end up squirming like an idiot. wipeout isn't excite truck.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Kiriku said:
I think it's a really obvious idea, I can't even count the number of times I've seen my friends lean left and right with the controller while playing previous WipeOut games, especially when using the first-person view.

But in practice, remains to be seen if it ends up being a mere novelty or not. WipeOut games (at least the earlier ones) have relied on turning with precision, even at high speeds. As you said though, making tilt controls an option and adding a lot of precision adjustments available would make it cool and potentially very usable. :)

Hell I lean in all racing games, but I like drohne would hope that there is a regular controller, with sixaxis control being optional, or vice versa.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
DarienA said:
Hell I lean in all racing games, but I like drohne would hope that there is a regular controller, with sixaxis control being optional, or vice versa.

Yes, optional SIXAXIS:))) control is a must.....

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd tend to think it would be better to constrain the use of motion-sensing for control over pitch and roll. Steering would probably be best left to an analog stick.

theBishop

Banned
I don't think i would want to steer with SIXAXIS (lol), but I would use it to do the "dodge" from Pure. Double-tapping the shoulder buttons didn't always work fast enough, so a quick jerk in either direction would be easy.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DarienA said:

Hehe really? I probably do as well, but I think WipeOut is on the extreme end of that, so to speak - especially since the ship actually leans when you turn. And when you're going around a track at unreal speeds throwing yourself into hairpin turns trying to get out of them alive by leaning the hell out of your ship, it gets a lot more immersive thus a lot of leaning ensues. :lol

But anyway, yeah...I hope it works with regular controls as well. That way everyone wins.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hey Klee, your forgot the copyright, register and trademark symbols, I'll paste them here for future reference so you don't have too look for the alt combinations:

© ® ™

Haunted

Sixaxis control for Wipeout seems like a no-brainer for me. It's cool that the Motorstorm devs also implemented the traditional controls (more options are a good thing), on the other hand, the approach of the Lair devs with required tilting also has its advantages, because they have to concentrate fully on making the sixaxis tilting work.

Yes, I typed sixaxis and playstation 3 - whatcha gonna do about it? :p

Wollan

I would say L.A.I.R is the bigger showcase in this regard as it's totally built around it. I'm not sure if I will be comfortable with WipEout motion controls.

boo7z

One can dream, right?

800px-Namco_Negcon_twisted.jpg

I'd love to see WipEout (is that the 'correct' way?) use the tilting for the airbrake controls (analog for steering, and hard tilt for a hard airbrake to get around the tighter corners). Quick push left/right to juke and possibly avoid crashes or attacks, and maybe tilt controls in the air (pitch and roll, like Gripshift) to extend out hangtime and maybe make some trickier jumps.

Similarly, I would have loved the tilt controls in Motorstorm to not be used for the actual driving, but for shifting your driver's body weight. Not sure if the physics engine would have been able to pull it off, but I can imagine doing a hard turn and counterbalancing the weight, to end up driving on two wheels in the buggy :). Also, using the left/right quick pushes to do the punches and kicks, and in the bigger vehicles, possibly to kick your doors open and knock over a passing biker :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
As I said in the other thread, they should bite the bullet and make the whole game work ONLY with motion sensing, no analog sticks no dpad. Design the whole game and tracks around it if necessary. Make the damn thing completely new and make it feel as futuristic as possible, and not just 'another' sequel' I say. If Factor 5 can do it (Lair doesn't use left analog stick at all IIRC), if Nintendo can do it (design game completely around wiimote) so can studio Liverpool.

Kleegamefan said:
10 years.....this isn't an Xbox, you know ;)
Actually, it's XBOX :p

Making the game tilt only would make it way tooo frustrating.
The last thing Studio Liverpool wants is to scare away gamers new and old.
I hope they continue to support digital steering but make pitch controls tilt only.

Steroyd said:
Well we've been typing WipEout for ten years so why not? :)
Not elitist enough!

wipE'out''

:)

ON TOPIC: I know they are going to include sixaxis support, but I don't think it will be precise enough for WipeOut. If it is though, I will be playing it this way. It just fits this game perfectly.

Kittonwy

Banned
Aizu_Itsuko said:
Not elitist enough!

wipE'out''

:)

ON TOPIC: I know they are going to include sixaxis support, but I don't think it will be precise enough for WipeOut. If it is though, I will be playing it this way. It just fits this game perfectly.

I thought the tilt is more precise, they just need to tune it well and allow the player a way to do more drastic turns quickly. Either way I just want a PS3 Wipeout.
Indifferent2.gif

The acronym for the SIXAXIS is 6XS

I thought this was known a while ago. I think some of Sony's charts showed at Tokyo Game Show had it.

Steroyd

I'm quite shocked that Sega haven't announced a Monkey Ball for PS3, at the very least on the PSN network.

The SixAxiS is just screaming for it, screaming i tell you.

i'd play it. monkey ball works great on the wii. the controls make the single player more fun.

wipeout would make for a good game to use the sixaxis. frankly, having played a couple of racing games on the wii, tilt control has become my favourite way of playing racing games, and i'm looking forwards to trying out motorstorm using tilt control.

all racing games better offer it on both systems.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kiriku said:

They did not lean it forward and backward too ?!? Newbies ;)... J/K :).

BTW, have you seen in the CliffyB interview thread what he has to say about the Mad World Gears of War trailer and the game's relationships with the Gears of War (strong ;)) background story :D? Doesn't it remind you of some MSN conversation :D?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CurlySaysX said:
Making the game tilt only would make it way tooo frustrating.
The last thing Studio Liverpool wants is to scare away gamers new and old.
I hope they continue to support digital steering but make pitch controls tilt only.

And lateral airbreakes for tight cornering. You steer with the analog stick, but tilt the controller to rise the airbrake.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fularu said:
If it'S anything like WipEout fusion, I'll stay far, far, far away from it

You missed Wipeout Pure I guess. If anything, that's the latest game in the series you should pic as reference about where the PS3 version might evolve from.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
And lateral airbreakes for tight cornering. You steer with the analog stick, but tilt the controller to rise the airbrake.

I would rather have tilt based steering and L2+R2 triggers to rise the air-brakes, it makes much more sense to me :).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Panajev2001a said:
I would rather have tilt based steering and L2+R2 triggers for air-brakes, it somehow makes much more sense to me :).

Well, yeah. Let's not forget there will be a Controller Settings option right? :D

Anyway, I dig tilt control more on "floaty" stuff like airplanes or those Wipeout vehicles compared to actual on-the-ground cars.

edit: I'm wondering if SCEE will make tilt controls mandatory in Wipeout for PS3 in order to push that feature. I wouldn' mind really if done well.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
drohne said:
as long as it's optional. i don't think tilt controls are suitable for a serious racing game -- you don't know where 'full lock' is, there's necessarily a big deadzone in the middle (otherwise going straight would be an ordeal), and you end up squirming like an idiot. wipeout isn't excite truck.

Like he said...!

Odrion

Banned
drohne said:

Perfectly exact.

BenjaminBirdie said:
"I Want None Of This" by Radiohead

It would certainly be a "Let Down", for the Wipeout fans.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
Well, yeah. Let's not forget there will be a Controller Settings option right? :D

Anyway, I dig tilt control more on "floaty" stuff like airplanes or those Wipeout vehicles compared to actual on-the-ground cars.

edit: I'm wondering if SCEE will make tilt controls mandatory in Wipeout for PS3 in order to push that feature. I wouldn' mind really if done well.

:D.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Steroyd said:
I'm quite shocked that Sega haven't announced a Monkey Ball for PS3, at the very least on the PSN network.

The SixAxiS is just screaming for it, screaming i tell you.
True. Also SCE should announce some PS3 new Locoroco levels already. How obvious that is!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marconelly said:
True. Also SCE should announce some PS3 new Locoroco levels already. How obvious that is!

Indeed. An HD Locoroco with tilting would rock so much it's not even funny

[Nintex]

I don't think the SIXAXIS™ from the PLAYSTATION 3© Would work with a racing game like WipEout®, Imagine playing F Zero® GX™ with a NINTENDO® Wii© Remote™. Turning would be impossible to do.

KTallguy

Banned
I already use the tilt stuff in Motorstorm and it's pretty solid. I can win races with it.

If it's well implemented in Wipeout and not tacked on, it'll be good.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
[Nintex] said:
I don't think the SIXAXIS™ from the PLAYSTATION 3© Would work with a racing game like WipEout®, Imagine playing F Zero® GX™ with a NINTENDO® Wii© Remote™. Turning would be impossible to do.

what™?

Top Bottom