• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

Zenith

Banned
Lykathea said:
Of course, if this is anything more than a baseless conspiracy theory you could provide evidence as to why both those IGN editors are in the palm of Dyack's hand.

they spend a lot of time together in real life. also go check Matt's blog history for more SK sucking up.

Zenith said:
they spend a lot of time together in real life. also go check Matt's blog history for more SK sucking up.

I don't care how buddy buddy I became with a developer. I somehow doubt they would be willing to put their reputation on the line if a game was shitty. Not only would that make them look like complete asses, but who would ever consider their opinions again? While its a nice scenario to make up in your head its highly doubtful.

Also add on the fact that they do infact work on the Wii side of the house as well. Is it really hard to assume that people that have actually played the game all the way through and want to purchase the final retail copy, do in fact like the game? *GASP*

I will be buying Day 1 simply to support the rambling wreck of a human being that poor old Dennis Dyack has become.

His unlistenable, intolerable 1UP Yours appearance was beyond bewildering (just listened to it tonight).

And, for reasons I can't even comprehend, I want to support this lunatic and get Too Human as soon as I can.

SPEA

kmfdmpig said:
Another good preview is up. I know that 98% of GAF is blinded by hate/rage/cat gifs, regarding this game, but it seems like the previews/hands on reports have been pretty positive. In terms of games I like it's of the right type, so I certainly hope it turns out well, and despite all the hate it gets here it sounds like it will.

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/previews/199048.shtml#comment_1626297
Well Denis obviously paid off the previewer. Sigh

I'll be picking it up day one. Nice to see a bunch of postive preview impressions from people that actually played the game.

kmfdmpig

SPEA said:
Well Denis obviously paid off the previewer. Sigh

I'll be picking it up day one. Nice to see a bunch of postive preview impressions from people that actually played the game.

Odd how that works, huh? Most that have played the game for 10+ hours seem positive, but I guess the angry mobs that have seen a few seconds of video have raised the pitchforks and declared it to be an utter failure the likes of which the world has never seen.

For me the type of game it is makes me interested enough in buying it even if it's only fairly good at what it does. Of course I'm hoping for more, and based on the previews I think it might actually deliver. I guess we'll see in a month (or in a week or so when the demo is probably out for E3).

Dabanton

kmfdmpig said:
Odd how that works, huh? Most that have played the game for 10+ hours seem positive, but I guess the angry mobs that have seen a few seconds of video have raised the pitchforks and declared it to be an utter failure the likes of which the world has never seen.

For me the type of game it is makes me interested enough in buying it even if it's only fairly good at what it does. Of course I'm hoping for more, and based on the previews I think it might actually deliver. I guess we'll see in a month (or in a week or so when the demo is probably out for E3).

Exactly. I've kept from posting in this thread because it just became a very horrible place to be.

But gamers are if anything extremely fickle things. I'll now watch the GAF turnaround as more people jump back on the TH wagon.

Two of the three host of the Totally Rad Show were very positive about the preview build. Each one played for about ten hours and not one mentioned finishing the game.

Seems like, as with most games, mileage will very.

Cheerilee

I'm willing to take Bozon's word for it, but Matt's been unusually close to Denis and a very active participant in Denis' overblown hype train since the N64 days. When Matt says that people are trying to find reasons to hate Too Human, it means he's already aware of it and trying to push the other way (of course at this point, who isn't aware of Denis' antics). He's trying to find reasons to like Too Human.

Kafel

Banned

hc2

From Wired Blog Network. Did not see it posted, sorry if it has been.

Elf-Serving and Troll-Surfing in Too Human Co-Op
By Chris Kohler July 03, 2008 | 1:53:11 PM

Too Human's single-player campaign might finish up in just over 10 hours, but the cooperative multiplayer mode will significantly lengthen the experience -- if you're that type of gamer.

I am typically not that type of gamer; I'm more of a single-player person. But the idea of simultaneously bringing my single-player Too Human character into a multiplayer game and continuing my quest with a buddy sounded like a lot of fun. Particularly when said buddy is Penny Arcade's Jerry Holkins, who I am just going to call "Tycho" for ease of reference, and whose own impressions of Too Human were more upbeat than mine.

Not that I disliked the game, for the record. I enjoyed it. And actually, although I felt like I was done with the experience, I kind of wanted to show off my cool armor to somebody else.

Starting a co-op game couldn't be easier. On the main menu screen, once you've got your character selected, you just pick "Multiplayer," and you're thrown into the Aesir hub world from the single-player game. At this point you can do pretty much anything you can in single-player, like upgrade your weapons and armor.

By walking up to the podiums that hold the game's maps in single-player mode, you can access the options, selecting a level to play on and choosing whether the second player slot is open to all or walled off for people you invite. It's clear from looking at this screen that the move from four-player co-op to two-player was a last-minute decision, as there's a bunch of empty space where the other two players used to be.

At this point, you can choose to begin the level without your partner, and they'll be beamed in as soon as they accept your invite. Gameplay is largely the same -- we checked out the game's first level, up to the first Cyberspace well, and didn't notice any major differences. Well, except for the fact that the difficulty level of the enemies was scaled up to match our characters' abilities. Also they were launching all kinds of crazy missiles at us that they didn't on the first run-through.

Tycho mentioned to me the concept of "serving," in which one player juggles enemies up into the air while the other one jumps into the air and attacks them while they're up there. It works. Other than that, though, the massive clusterfuck that Too Human battles so often become means that we couldn't do much in the way of division of labor -- besides one of us holding back enemies so the other could run and get some Health Orbs.

If you walk up to the other player and press the Back button, you can trade items. We did not, although Tycho did point out that this is likely why you acquire, in the single-player game, so much crap that your character class cannot use. I was a Berserker, if you remember, and Tycho was a Champion, so I think I might in fact have some stuff that I can pass off to him.

Everything in multiplayer mode merges seamlessly with the solo game. If the host drops out, your game will save and your character will have all the loot he acquired. You'll be dropped automatically back into Aesir, where you can repair your armor and check out your new stuff.

Our attempts to get a multiplayer Achievement were stymied time and again. You're supposed to be able to get a whopping 10 GamerpointsTM by having one player destroy a Troll's chest armor and then having the other player do the "troll-surfing" takedown, but we couldn't ever get it to register. Clearly we're doing something wrong that we hope to rectify the next time we dive in.

Besides the fact that we couldn't figure that out, the biggest issue that I had with co-op is that the camera, which is mostly alright in the solo mode, doesn't work quite as well here. It's hard to find the other player because you don't have total control over the camera. Our solution was to switch the cameras into Isometric mode, which pulls them back really, really far, almost as if you were looking at a game of Diablo. This kept things manageable.

Of course, it really does need to be pointed out here that MTV's Stephen Totilo is on crack if he thinks that there is time between now and Too Human's August 19 release date for Silicon Knights to add a fully user-controlled camera and a mini-map to multiplayer.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/elf-serving-and.html

FrankT

Wow a very positive preview from Gamepro as well. With this and the other positive previews rolling in the last few days this looks to be a solid game. Overall it maybe one of those love hate kind of games and reviews will probably tend to show that.

Dabanton said:
Exactly. I've kept from posting in this thread because it just became a very horrible place to be.

But gamers are if anything extremely fickle things. I'll now watch the GAF turnaround as more people jump back on the TH wagon.
This is what made Dyack's comments so stupid. There has been so many games that GAF has shit on for months (Bioshock, Crackdown) and then in the span of a few hours GAF loves them. If he would have just shut up and let Too Human actually speak for it self this PR disaster could have been avoided.

clutha

Neo Member
pedrothelion said:
This is what made Dyack's comments so stupid. There has been so many games that GAF has shit on for months (Bioshock, Crackdown) and then in the span of a few hours GAF loves them. If he would have just shut up and let Too Human actually speak for it self this PR disaster could have been avoided.

Bingo... but if this gets someone looking at TH negatively only to do a 180 after launch/getting more details versus simply not being interested before or after release then DD has had a positive result to his posting in terms of $$$ at least. "There is no such thing as bad publicity"

Top Bottom