• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: The Social Network Where Doctors Swap Gross Pics of Patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

The Social Network Where Doctors Swap Gross Pics of Patients

TIME WAS, SEEING a huge gash in somebody’s foot would have sent me clicking away in a hurry. Especially if that gash contained a massive, gooey cyst. But after several weeks regularly browsing Figure 1—a photo sharing app for health care professionals—my skin is thicker. I linger for a second, check out the comments, then keep scrolling. Past compound fractures, degloved limbs, lesions, rashes, warts, and tumors of all kinds.

This app is not meant for people like me, those who like to play chicken with their gag reflex. You can tell because the captions for these images do not say “Check out this crazy s%&*!,” “Gross,” or even “NSFL.” A typical entry reads like this:
large intraosseus cyst encountered during a chevron bunionectomy. It was packed with DMB and cortical-cancellous allograft.

Figure 1 is for doctors, nurses, EMTs, and the rest of the professionally unsqueamish to share the latest morbidities from their shifts. Sure, some of the pictures are straight up medical oddities. But just as often, users post because they are stumped and looking for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, nth opinion. Or because they want to stump members of their community with little diagnostic quizzes. Compared to other social media, the app’s user base is small; it just surpassed 500,000 users last week. But as Figure 1 grows, it has the potential to become global health’s central nervous system—improving diagnostics, care, and treatment for non-users everywhere.

“I know this is something you hear founders say all the time, but I really feel like our app is doing something important.” says Josh Landy, Figure 1 co-founder and practicing physician in Toronto. He’s definitely right on the first count. And actually, Landy does make a pretty good case for Figure 1’s role in improving healthcare.

Exhibit A: Emily Nayar, a physician assistant in rural Oklahoma. “I float between 10 different facilities, and in many I’m the only trained health care provider in the building,” she says. She’s also a Figure 1 addict, using it as a way to connect with colleagues, learn new things, and get help with her diagnoses.

A few months ago, she was working in one of those rural ERs, and in came an older gentleman whose doctor had diagnosed him with shingles. “He had been put on treatment and was taking it, but here it was four days later and he was worse,” she says. In addition to his rash, he had a horrible headache and a fever of 103. Headaches and fevers are more like flu symptoms.

In the previous month, Nayar had seen several cases of some more serious shingles variants on Figure 1. So rather than giving the man flu meds and prescribing bed rest, she figured that he might have a more serious case of shingles. A lit search led her to shingles meningitis—a version of the disease that gets into a patient’s blood and brain.

“I was able to get a lumbar puncture on this gentleman, and he was admitted to the ICU for a couple days,” she says. Without the knowledge she got from Figure 1, Nayar says it’s likely she would have sent the man home with more medication, and he probably would have died.

In all seriousness, Figure 1 is pretty impressive in its ability to get people to engage with medical information in new, educational ways. Most of the app’s post fall into one of three categories. One is people asking for help with a diagnosis. The next is people playing stump the chump, with little quizzes. And last are people showing off something crazy. Landy says the breakdown is pretty even, about 33 percent in each category.

How do you keep those posts, especially the ones in the last category, from deteriorating into Ebaumsworld for Mobile? Anybody can make a profile and browse on Figure 1—even norms like me. But only healthcare professionals can comment, and that usually keeps the discourse focused and professional. (Plus, Landy says only about 10 percent of Figure 1’s users are not medical professionals.)

The app is also heavily moderated. Nine of Figure 1’s 25 employees (including Landy) make sure every image has some educational content. “Early on, we had what we would call scene of the accident images: Bodies poking out of vehicles or other things you might find upon arriving at some disaster,” he says. So the app made a rule that an image would be blocked if it didn’t pose some kind of medical question. “You’d have to try pretty hard to come up with a question for some accident picture that wasn’t just, ‘Wow how do you get that person out of there!?!'”

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's good to have doctors sharing and collaborating to help people- but on the other hand it seems like an invasion of confidentiality in some way.

Interesting/gross photos at the link.

Doomsayer

My girlfriend found about this recently (I think via Reddit) and won't stop showing me things she finds on there. It's actually kind of awesome.

Tabris

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's good to have doctor's sharing and collaborating to help people- but on the other hand it seems like an invasion of confidentiality in some way.

As long as there's no identifying information, I don't see the issue.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
So like unofficial case studies?
Neat.

NEJM already does quizzes on social media with something like this.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's good to have doctor's sharing and collaborating to help people- but on the other hand it seems like an invasion of confidentiality in some way.

Potentially very useful, but yeah, seems like the biggest HIPPA violation on Earth.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If only these photos were limited to that social network. I don't mind seeing them but it's annoying to look up an ailment and always get photos of the most extreme rare cases.

*looks up "itchy ear", gets photos of full facial tissue necrosis*

Dalek

If only these photos were limited to that social network. I don't mind seeing them but it's annoying to look up an ailment and always get photos of the most extreme rare cases.

*looks up "itchy ear", gets photos of full facial tissue necrosis*

Yeah that's so true. Also why everyone thinks they have cancer when they google their pain symptoms.

Did OP seriously get chastised for posting pics of a pink colored arm and a cramped thumb?

Yes. :(

Honestly don't have any ethical objection to this. I imagine most pictures are totally useless for identifying someone. Most egregious invasion of privacy I could think of for this would be full body/portrait pictures or pictures of original tattoos.

That said, not really sure where the law stands on this. It's a bit of a nuanced issue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Honestly don't have any ethical objection to this. I imagine most pictures are totally useless for identifying someone. Most egregious invasion of privacy I could think of for this would be full body/portrait pictures or pictures of original tattoos.

That said, not really sure where the law stands on this. It's a bit of a nuanced issue.

I'm with you. There's no way to ID anyone from these pictures and the doctors are just using it as a way to learn from each other.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Did OP seriously get chastised for posting pics of a pink colored arm and a cramped thumb?

When I first started taking my healthcare classes, I was unsure that I was gonna be able to handle the gross stuff. But after a while I realized that I actually have a bigger constitution than most people. I was surprised that so many people would be squeamish in the sight of things that to me seem relatively benign.

I've been on the internet a long time, so I've seen some shit, I guess.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Potentially very useful, but yeah, seems like the biggest HIPPA violation on Earth.
Yeah if some of the patients find out about this there are likely to be serious reprocessions unless the doctors posting were careful to remove and identifying data from the images.

Identified or not posting pics of someone's injuries without their consent is wrong to me. People should have control of what pictures of their bodies gets released to others in the context of seeking healthcare. This isn't like walking down the street and someone takes a picture. You're specifically seeking treatment.

MtZ9N.gif

Id let a doctor share a pic of me if i had a sick ass cool wound that he would post a topic about "damn look at this hot shit took like a million stitches to fix that gash up"

Yeah if some of the patients find out about this there are likely to be serious reprocessions unless the doctors posting were careful to remove and identifying data from the images.

If you're taking a good photo of, say, a cyst, how would you even show identifying features? I mean if it covered their whole face or something maybe. Like I said before, if there was a tattoo in the shot that might be an issue. Really though it seems like you would have to be incompetent or stupid to post a photo with identifiable features just by nature of the focus.

Mimosa97

Both my parents are M.D's so I've seen all kinds of gross pictures and I can tell you something, it's nothing compared to the kind of horrible stories/jokes doctors like to tell each others. I've traveled a lot with my parents and attended a lot of medical conventions and man you can hear some vile vile things when you're having diner with a table full of doctors.

My girlfriend is a doctor. She is part of a What's App group of 100 or so doctors from around the country sharing all sorts of stories and pictures. I have seen some fucked up shit in there. Doctors have some of the most morbid senses of humor of anyone I know.

Latest one I saw a few weeks ago was a guy who got his dick stuck in what looked like a piece of plastic tubing and had cut off blood circulation. The top half of his penis was shown sticking out of the tube incredibly swollen and dark purple in color - it looks completely dead. The photo had the guy with his hand over his face and a doctor with a circular saw about to amputate his penis.

I've seen xrays of TV remotes stuck in colons. Just so many things.

Dalek

My girlfriend is a doctor. She is part of a What's App group of 100 or so doctors from around the country sharing all sorts of stories and pictures. I have seen some fucked up shit in there. Doctors have some of the most morbid senses of humor of anyone I know.

Latest one I saw a few weeks ago was a guy who got his dick stuck in what looked like a piece of plastic tubing and had cut off blood circulation. The top half of his penis was shown sticking out of the tube incredibly swollen and dark purple in color - it looks completely dead. The photo had the guy with his hand over his face and a doctor with a circular saw about to amputate his penis.

I've seen xrays of TV remotes stuck in colons. Just so many things.

Obvsudbeiwlsjduejwnskdj

Raxus

When you work in the medical field you get a lot of neat stories to tell.

The picture of the kid struck by lightning is amazing.

LQX

I was in the hospital ER waiting room last year when I over heard nurses talking about sharing and seeing pictures from a car accident. I guess it was someone they all new but they were in the open talking nonchalantly about the pictures of the dead woman as if everyone could not over hear them. And I tell you, if you ever watched ER and thought the shit you saw on it was hard to believe...don't.

In my one day in that damn ER I saw the craziest shit in my life. From some nut taking a seat in the back and jerking, a "Rasta" preacher saying the most vile homophobic/racist shit, to undercover cops coming in injured. There was even a old woman crying in pain and agony for damn near 1 hour and they kept telling her they could not help her yet. What took the cake though was some dude that came in and was standing in the line and dropped like bag of rocks and everyone being stunned and think he was dead except for the nursers and doctors that took a good minute to help the dude. My sister later told me it is tactic some use to get immediate help so they do not have to wait hours and hours like me and many others were doing.

Also, this happened to be the same hospital in NY where some woman dropped dead and they did not notice for one hour.

My mother had a particularly nasty wound and the person in charge of managing it would frequently be showing it around to her colleagues. I didn't think twice about it. Sharing this sort of information helped my mom and would help others.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can you get points from likes, and use the points to customize your avatar?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Lol unreal. I didn't click the link at first, started reading the thread after I read the OP. I thought, oh shit, some cool pics behind the link.

Nope, nothing bad.

Yrael

I went to the website for the app, Figure 1, and saw an image of a person whose legs are so lichenized that they look like elephant trunks.

Kin5290

Not really, since the app will only store photos that are completely deidentified. There's no violation in stopping a colleague in the hallway for a consult and going "So I have an anonymous patient who presents with symptoms X Y and Z", and this is effectively the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom