• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired's Top 50 Robots of All Time reveals a shocking secret!

We've all heard about how Nintendo was involved in military applications right?

Here's the proof! :lol

No. 45 R.O.B. from Nintendo Co. Ltd, Japan
===================================================
In the mid-'80s, the PC was killing the market for videogame consoles. The game industry's only hope? A robot. Nintendo packaged the Robotic Operating Buddy with the 1985 Nintendo Entertainment System. The R.O.B. didn't do much, but the gimmick helped Nintendo sneak systems onto shelves. Lo, the console market was saved.

No. 16 ROBART III from the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center, San Diego
===================================================
Not only does Robart III have a gun, it has a team of spider "slave" bots. Under development by the Navy since 1992, this security robot uses microwave motion detectors to search, say, a hostile building for enemies, sending out its insectoid companions to look in dark corners. Alas, its barrels hold only rubber bullets and darts.

They don't look similar to you? Anyway, it's a joke. We all know that Nintendo wasn't ACTUALLY involved in the creation of ROBART III, they did other military type stuff... supposedly.

[you guys did click on the links right? Maybe my joke is just dense.. meh.]

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Gaia Theory said:
They don't look similar to you? Anyway, it's a joke. We all know that Nintendo wasn't ACTUALLY involved in the creation of ROBART III, they did other military type stuff... supposedly.

[you guys did click on the links right? Maybe my joke is just dense.. meh.]

I actually didn't click on the links, so I was scratching my head too. The image system being down is claiming a lot of victims today. :)

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I heard that Nintendo are changing their name to Skynet and any day now I expect R.O.Bs from the future to show up and start killing eveyone.

fugimax

I heard that Nintendo are changing their name to Skynet and any day now I expect R.O.Bs from the future to show up and start killing eveyone.
Well, see...that's the thing. Why would you send the robots back to around a time the company was initially founded? Why not send them back to 2000 B.C. or something to assure complete domination? Sending them back now would be silly.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
fugimax said:
Well, see...that's the thing. Why would you send the robots back to around a time the company was initially founded? Why not send them back to 2000 B.C. or something to assure complete domination? Sending them back now would be silly.

But you see for the plan to work the R.O.B.s must cause people to hesitate as the fond memorys from their childhood re-emerge preventing them from fighting back.

ohamsie

fugimax said:

Because if they did that, then no one would be around to invent them in the future, creating a paradox.

Top Bottom