• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crazy to expect actual gameplay footage to match early promotional footage. Developers always bite off more than they can chew with those trailers because they want to make the biggest splash possible. This always happens. It would be great if it didn't, but it always does.

I'm still looking forward to Witcher 3. Sure, it doesn't look as good as it once did, but I never expected it to.

I agree 100% with this.

The developer should also be honest and not say there isn't a downgrade. Either don't answer or just explain what has changed. Don't lie.

Alienous

UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

That looks stunning! o_0

Mmm. Good lawd.

$h@d0w

pre order cancelled, game is probably buggy as shit as well

obvious that this is being pushed out of the door for those co-marketing mega bux

expect dev apologies within a week or two, usual crap for a rushed game

tuxfool

Banned
Whether or not the graphics were downgraded or not, these screenshots are not even remotely similar areas or shots.

That too. Most of these screenshots have little to no comparative rigour in any sense of the word. Not in image quality, not in metadata, not in scene.

Krejlooc

Banned
Just annoyed with people saying, "well yeah they had to optimize!"

If it looked that good (at gameplay fps), then they had it ridiculously optimized a year ago.

or, much more likely, they were running on outrageous hardware. i dev on a pc with quad titan x video cards, as an example.

MUnited83

For you.
Well, duh. If anyone really thought it would look anything like the initial trailers was setting themselves up for disappointment.

Yep, that's a downgrade. I don't really care, the only thing that bugs me was how adamant CD Projekt was about there not being a downgrade. They deserve to be called out on that.

On top of this, the whole "we're leaving ultra as a surprise on release" thing was such a thinly veiled and transparent attempt at avoiding claims of a downgrade because it could just be defended with "b-but we haven't seen the ultra settings!". It comes off as really deceptive and it was often painted as CDPR magnanimously giving the PC crowd a cute surprise.

Hrothgar

Early Witcher 3 footage used copious amounts of sharpening filter and had a very desaturated look, it's hard to compare. The comparison by Lunar15 is evidence of that.

And holy shit, that first image comparison in the OP is disingenuous as shit.

I do want to talk about what I mean by "not everything" getting downgraded. I've been saying the game's been scaled down graphically for some time, but there has been some impressive stuff. Also, not every old screenshot looked great:

2013:
SQdQhT3.jpg

There's also some beautiful stuff from current footage, if you know where to look:

May 2015:
W3ac26f.gif

The plants on the ground don't look super hot, but there's so much going on here that it looks brilliant. The monster's hair (with hairworks) and the forest are lovely.

Even the sharpening filter couldn't save that first screenshot.

obvious that this is being pushed out of the door for those co-marketing mega bux

Joke post?
Joke post.
This is either a joke or the dumbest post I have ever seen on GAF.

So unless CDPR is as bad as EA and UBI and everyone else, it sounds like these downgrades are a system issue and perhaps not deliberately misleading.

Unless the assets were deliberately downgraded to work on consoles, I don't see why these changes would have to take place.

KHlover

Banned
Funny how this thread only has six pages. If this were a Ubisoft game we'd be at 20+ right now. Anyways, the graphics downgrade isn't too important to me. Game still looks good. I'm much more concerned with the gameplay. Witcher 1 and 2 had some pretty bad combat, so unless they have massively improved it in Witcher 3 that's why I won't buy the game, not the graphics downgrade.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can't wait for the PC screenshot thread,where people will post absurdly beautiful wall papers for everyone to enjoy :3
The same thing happened with Unity when Ubi was accused
falsely
of downgrading it when the ps4 version was leaked and someone posted compressed to hell and back screenshots, even had someone say that it looked like a mobile game in that thread.

Valnen

It's crazy to expect actual gameplay footage to match early promotional footage. Developers always bite off more than they can chew with those trailers because they want to make the biggest splash possible. This always happens. It would be great if it didn't, but it always does.

I'm still looking forward to Witcher 3. Sure, it doesn't look as good as it once did, but I never expected it to.

And it should be called out every time. Because that is deceptive marketing.

Tenebrous

or, much more likely, they were running on outrageous hardware. i dev on a pc with quad titan x video cards, as an example.

And what's wrong with leaving those settings in game, just like Crytek did in 2007 with Crysis? You needed a god-tier machine to max that out back then, but they didn't remove the higher end visual stuff.

Nzyme32

There was an nvidia presentation trailer thing that highlights a bunch of visual effects - all of which appear to have been canned

That's game development though, and also a reason to probably hold back on overpromising so that you can over deliver and wow everyone later

Xando

2 year old footage doesn't represent the finished game. I'm shocked, totally shocked.

Are people really this naive?

What... the fuck?

Downgrades always suck but still looking forward to the game. To be honest, I never expected it to look that good.

Jigolo

I don't know why any developer should be called out on downgrading a game during development, they don't do it just because, optimization, scalability, resource management, etc. it's part of the development process, you can't even argue is false ardvertisement, showing bullshots just before release is one thing but we have been seeing the supposedly downgraded footage for months, almost a year.

What about these though?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780290

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781625

Looking back at the footage shown in 2013 I honestly can't believe I actually expected the game to look that spectacular. I'm not surprised at all by the downgrade seeing as that initial footage is almost CGI movie quality.

Lunar15

Funny how this thread only has six pages. If this were a Ubisoft game we'd be at 20+ right now. Anyways, the graphics downgrade isn't too important to me. Game still looks good. I'm much more concerned with the gameplay. Witcher 1 and 2 had some pretty bad combat, so unless they have massively improved it in Witcher 3 that's why I won't buy the game, not the graphics downgrade.

We're already at 6 pages in less than a half hour, so I think you'll get your wish.

As for combat, no idea what to expect. I think it will be similar to 2, but they did hire the guy who made the combat rebalance mod.

falsely
of downgrading it when the ps4 version was leaked and someone posted compressed to hell and back screenshots, even had someone say that it looked like a mobile game in that thread.
Good times. Downressed game looked vasoliney as hell.
And I agree if it was downgraded then CD deserves hell.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Witcher 3 looks better on PS4 then PC Ultra, judging by the latest gameplay trailer at least.
Why wouldn't it? PS4 is more powerful than almost all PCs. It has been this way since the PS2 era, which is why Saddam imported PS2s to launch missiles and not PCs.

CDPR is basically untouchable for some reason. Just take one look at the GMG vs CDPR code thread.

So far they have done nothing to stab their customers in the back and have been really consumer friendly...so yeah. Of course this does not exempt them from criticism, but I find it REALLY silly people are using a one-minute long trailer from 2013 to shit on the hours and hours of footage that have been released in 2014 and 2015. You have known for a very long time how the game will look, don't pretend that CDProjekt has misled you.

HeelPower

falsely

lol I remember that.

Now its constantly touted as one of the most beautiful games around.

This is so fucking ridiculous. Things change during development. These people owe you NOTHING. Mother of god, watching people react this way is just sad.

MiszMasz

They should make their ultra-settings, in-house build running on Titans look just as good and run just as well on my single GTX 970 and / or $400 console.

Otherwise, lazy fucking devs.

Poor little Ubisoft as well, i guess.

dakun

i don't understand why you would make your decision about buying Witcher 3 depend upon the gameplay, when neither of its prequels had amazing gameplay to begin with (i don't think Witcher 2 was bad though)
At this point the story and world of Witcher 3 is enough to make this an instant buy for me.

Dmax3901

people had a field day with other developers. Why does CDPR get a pass?

For their general treatment of fans for starters, but also because this game (graphics aside for the moment) looks like it's going to be huge, and immensely fun. Watch Dogs was always a GTA clone, and ended up not even living up to that in the end.

Witcher 3 looks incredible, I'm gonna wait til I play the game myself, but the downgrade isn't as severe imo.

Also if we find a 'witcher 3 e3 mode' once it comes out, then maybe we can talk.

Krejlooc

Banned
And what's wrong with leaving those settings in game, just like Crytek did in 2007 with Crysis? You needed a god-tier machine to max that out back then, but they didn't remove the higher end visual stuff.

For graphics functions that generate from a seeded value, they likely are. That's what sliders are. Not everything is the product of a mathematical function, however. Typically, when you create any sort of asset for a game, you start off with the highest quality object you can then dial it back till it runs on older hardware.

Unfortunately for stuff like textures or models or even entire objects like volumentric smoke, this might mean it becomes unfeasible to ship those with your product. People already bitch about 30 gb downloads, how would they feel if the game was even bigger when the majority of people wouldn't be able to use most of that stuff in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom