• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 gameplay from YouTubers from CDPR event

CDPR is on the verge of maybe possibly surpassing Red Dead Redemption's scenic, airy, naturalistic world atmosphere with all the wind, weather, and day/night lighting effects. There's a rich, serene, picturesque quality to the game, even during the more dramatic weather, that I haven't seen in any game since RDR.

These next 3 weeks will take forever.

viveks86

CDPR is on the verge of maybe possibly surpassing Red Dead Redemption's scenic, airy, naturalistic world atmosphere with all the wind, weather, and day/night lighting effects. There's a rich, serene, picturesque quality to the game, even during the more dramatic weather, that I haven't seen in any game since RDR.

Cinematically Cinematic™

SaberEdge

That is not being super negative.

Stuttering is awful, I saw it too and it quite often ends up in the final version of a game. Stuttering isn't some minor thing and it can be a constant bother through the entire playthrough.

But if it is fixed, great! Let's complain further about rubber trees and hypothetical downgrades.

But all of this is PC footage. Stuttering is completely dependent on which hardware you're using, it's not a problem with the game itself. When you are unable to maintain 60fps (or whatever your refresh rate is) in any game you are going to get stutter.

Like all games, people are going to have to figure out what their hardware is capable of and tweak settings to maintain either 30fps or 60fps. The same goes for AC Unity, GTA5 or any other game. This is basic stuff, guys.

SaberEdge

That is way off. I think GTAV is around 80 km/sq, the map there (Novirgad+NML) is around 72km/sq. What puts Witcher ahead is it has a second map that is ~64km/sq and at least 4-5 other "smaller" maps.

Yeah, the scale in that map comparison is horribly off. The Witcher 3 is a very big game, but if it dwarfed GTA5 that much it would be simply absurdly big.

tuxfool

Banned
Why does shit just pop in, why can't it fade in or something more gradual?

Often the pop is due to transitions between LODs, which is something that probably is very difficult to do. For starters fading between two models would require you to have both loaded at the same time among other things that I'm not considering. However, I have seen non-level geometry fade in, things like NPCs which are traditionally drawn in much closer than the environment.

I liked Gwent. It's simple, of course, as it's normal for a mini-game inside another game, but it's enough to be strategic, with the special effects of some cards, the weather cards, the special ability of the leader, and knowing what to keep for the second round.

I mean, way better than dice poker.

I'll be interested to see how they recap the series for newcomers unfamiliar with the last two games. Politically it's not a big deal, and the state of the world and its core political themes could be quickly summarised and set up. Nilfgaard Empire invades the Northern Kingdoms. ~fin

But that's never been a massive focus of the series. Well, it has, but as a kind of unavoidable backdrop. Geralt's personal mission, what he's learned about his identity, developing the Wild Hunt, and what they're doing takes a bit more. The Witcher 2 in particular is like a full on prequel to Wild Hunt, setting up practically everything.

I'm surprised CDPR hasn't commissioned a proper stylised recap video yet covering these topics. New fans will be unaware that The Witcher 2 establishes the Wild Hunt as
alternate dimensional travelling beings that Geralt once sold his soul to to save Yennefer, road in army with, and somehow escaped, now hunted, likely due to their desire to acquire Ciri. Meanwhile Yennefer too has amnesia

I love many things about The Witcher 2 but from a story perspective, it fell really flat for me, a non-book reader - I felt I was drowning in exposition and dramatic situations with no clear hook or investment at all, like reading fan fiction without having a clear grasp of the canon narrative. It gets better later on, when you're doing actual Witcher jobs and get drawn into the plight of Triss but I feel CD Projekt Red is not particularly good at presenting a compelling setup and throughline.

I hope The Wild Hunt is a smoother narrative ride but from everything I've seen, I fear my investment in characters like Ciri and situations like the Imperial conquest is more or less taken for granted rather than set up properly.

silva1991

Here you go.

g0cUcZp.gif

Thank you!! that place is awesome.

Wow it's glorious! Is the footage captured from the pc version?

yes as far as I know.

I liked Gwent. It's simple, of course, as it's normal for a mini-game inside another game, but it's enough to be strategic, with the special effects of some cards, the weather cards, the special ability of the leader, and knowing what to keep for the second round.

I mean, way better than dice poker.

Yea, the AngryJoe video sold me on it. The concept of a second round seems to add enough strategic depth to shoot it away past the mini-games (like Dice Poker) from TW2. I'm all for less luck reliant mini-games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This is the main thing that makes me excited for this game and why RDR succeeded when all of Rockstar's other open world games have left me cold. I just need confirmation that it'll all be intact on PS4 then I'll get excited.

cresto

I love that you can skip cut scenes right off the bat. Destiny was infuriating that you had to rewatch that shit everytime you died.

This is the main thing that makes me excited for this game any why RDR succeeded when all of Rockstar's other open world games have left me cold. I just need confirmation that it'll all be intact on PS4 then I'll get excited.
They did a superb job adapting a beast of a game like The Witcher 2 to the 360, honestly I'll be really surprised if the console versions are anything but solid. If this was being made by Ubisoft or something, I'd be a bit worried right now but CDPR do well by that standard.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
They did a superb job adapting a beast of a game like The Witcher 2 to the 360, honestly I'll be really surprised if the console versions are anything but solid. If this was being made by Ubisoft or something, I'd be a bit worried right now but CDPR do well by that standard.
Also, this is the same studio that canceled a port of the original Witcher on 360 because it wasn't up to their standards, so I'm sure the console versions will be more than fine.

This is the sole reason why I'm not worried about the PS4 version.

Kinthalis

Banned

What is this even supposed to mean exactly? Witcher 2 was decidedly built on last gen tech. It was a DX9 game. If anything, the low rez.. well, everything, and the tiny view distance for foliage, shadows, and LOD would mean they did a pretty bad job?

Or more precisely, they did a great job at building a scalable engine that looked awesome on PC and ran half decent on aging console hardware.

That's likely the case here, except it's the beginning of a new gen, so I don't expect the diference between consoles and high end PC to be quite as huge, but definitely noticeable.

Mastperf

Tue, but they're working on all versions at the same time now. They're likely being spread a little thin. Throw in the massive open-world and you could have problems. These videos aren't representative of what the majority of gamers will be playing, PC included. The lack of even XB1 footage despite the marketing deal looks bad too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Exactly how I feel. There's a very ethereal, loneliness to the naturalism and the way it's presented. The vistas and motion. A presence of earth and nature that's beyond you, indifferent to your being. Just like Red Dead.

So I think I just got my first ever video game induced boner. Bah gawd!!

But Triss i't in any footage.

I like that the horses seem fast and nimble, like the horses from Red Dead, compared to the slower and more cumbersome horses found in DA:I and Skyrim.

What is this even supposed to mean exactly? Witcher 2 was decidedly built on last gen tech. It was a DX9 game. If anything, the low rez.. well, everything, and the tiny view distance for foliage, shadows, and LOD would mean they did a pretty bad job?

Or more precisely, they did a great job at building a scalable engine that looked awesome on PC and ran half decent on aging console hardware.

That's likely the case here, except it's the beginning of a new gen, so I don't expect the diference between consoles and high end PC to be quite as huge, but definitely noticeable.
It means they adapted the full Witcher 2 experience admirably with the ancient hardware given to them in the 360 and should be commendable. They'll no doubt strive to give the Xbox One and PS4 versions the same dedication. Obviously it didn't look anywhere near as good on the 360 but no one expected it would, it still performed nicely.

Here is the full range of HUD options, since so many are curious about its customization. There is a second "rescale HUD" option in the main menu that is not shown here.

So you can't set certain sections of the HUD to contextual? I was told we would be able to. :(

Dutcher

Neo Member
This... all of this.

Its simply too good to be true.
I am really scared of reality and how many games were a let down at this point :(

Vire

He stops talking at 2:50.

Also, the reason the ultra quality video was only 720p was because the 1080p video was processing.

IT'S NOW AVAILABLE IN 1080P!

This is hands down the best looking open world game I have ever seen. Beautiful!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gopher's video is ultra too, minus hairworks, which hit the framerate too hard. All vids are probably ultra.

Game of Thrones DLC. Beautiful game, getting it digitally since people are saying this will be bigger and better than Skyrim and Skyrim is one of the games I would own digitally as well.

Does anyone know when PS4 starts pre-loading?

AdanVC

This looks amazing!! Was planning to buy a PS4 but after watching how beautiful it looks on PC, plus, knowing that GTA V is also on PC... kinda tempted to just save more to buy a powerful gamer PC to play this two.

Top Bottom