• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 gameplay from YouTubers from CDPR event

Rodin

Outside of procedurally generated games, is this the biggest handcrafted world ever in a video game?

Peoples nitpicking little details for the graphics dont quite grasp the size of this monster i think.

This is Witcher 3 map vs GTA V in the top right corner.

aD3Oj1Z_700b.jpg

With, from what i see, all interiors of every buildings modeled with no loadings.. Its a technical marvel.

If i'm not mistaken GTA V is around 129 km2, so TW3 should be a bit bigger but definitely in the same ballpark. I don't know who did that comparison but it's most definitely inaccurate.

erawsd

Outside of procedurally generated games, is this the biggest handcrafted world ever in a video game?

Peoples nitpicking little details for the graphics dont quite grasp the size of this monster i think.

With, from what i see, all interiors of every buildings modeled with no loadings.. Its a technical marvel.

That is way off. I think GTAV is around 80 km/sq, the map there (Novirgad+NML) is around 72km/sq. What puts Witcher ahead is it has a second map that is ~64km/sq and at least 4-5 other "smaller" maps.

aD3Oj1Z_700b.jpg

Both Arma 2 and Arma 3 (well, and Dayz too) are bigger. And there are two-three racing games even bigger.

Game looks good to me. I love the tracking/investigation stuff. Feels like a legit "hunting" game.

And being open-world pretty much seals the deal for me.

My only concern is that combat doesn't look "heavy" to me. It seems "swishy". Not sure how else to describe it. Hopefully it's something I can just get used to.

Tankshell

WTF is up with the boat in the AJ video? It keeps going below sea level as the waves crash into the side of it, like you physically see the ocean deform so that the water does not enter the boat. Looks pretty rough.

i-Lo

At least at that point they'll have done a simultaneous multiplatform release. That's my main concern here. They've only released on a single platform at a time before.

Indeed. However, how is that different than what they are doing right now? How does their first time inhibit their ability to show off the two console versions three weeks away from launch whilst simultaneously flaunting the best PC version?

Lest we forget, unless all who buy the game possess "Recommended" hardware on PC, the game won't look as advertised; OTOH, the console versions don't face that issue (in general). And finally, (and I will stop posting for a month as a bet) the majority of the game's sales won't come from the PCs that will run the game on ultra or as shown off thus far.

It's therefore unfortunate that they may keep the majority of their potential clients in the dark with C2077. I'm fine with their pandering to the elite PC owners as long as they would show the rest of us bits and pieces of other relevant versions.

/rant

aD3Oj1Z_700b.jpg

That's from 9gag. The URL is right on the image. It's a joke.

viveks86

Given Gamestar's latest preview, do we assume that ultra for grass density, texture, water, terrain details along with hair works are not enabled? Gopher's video does say hair works was disabled. If that's the case, then their in-house hair physics seems much improved from earlier builds.

WTF is up with the boat in the AJ video? It keeps going below sea level as the waves crash into the side of it, like you physically see the ocean deform so that the water does not enter the boat. Looks pretty rough.

Check the video description. Apparently a known issue.

cresto

From CD projekt, Novigrad is 72,25 square km. If you compare it to the GTAV map, its not that out of scale.

I imagine it will still feel bigger since you don't have any vehicles outside of a horse. Still impressive and I think the density is great in the forested regions. Time will tell.

Sethh

Game looks good to me. I love the tracking/investigation stuff. Feels like a legit "hunting" game.

And being open-world pretty much seals the deal for me.

My only concern is that combat doesn't look "heavy" to me. It seems "swishy". Not sure how else to describe it. Hopefully it's something I can just get used to.

Gerald's style of fighting is that of a dancer, in books its described as light, fast and very accurate.

Ps. Reading some comments here is fucking depressing, how can some gamers not appreciate the sheer scale and world details is beyond me.

Mastperf

I was thinking how cool it was that they were having console versions of this at release. Apparently I was mistaken. This is exactly how not to introduce your game to a new audience.

Buggy Loop

Novigrad is 8.5x8.5 km
GTA V full map is 12x18 km

If anyone cares to make a pixel perfect comparison..

Compare it however you want, but Witcher 3 is a magnitude of order bigger than GTAV

void666

Banned
I'm curious about what happens if you try to attack innocent people.
I assume Geralt can't randomly muder children. But how did the devs handle it?
You can't draw your sword while inside cities/villages maybe. Your attacks go through people without hurting them? Will people react if you try to attack them?

Anyone knows?

dreamfall

These gifs, my god.

Grass swaying, waves crashing, lightning surfacing, I just can't take it!

I haven't watched any of the footage, I'm just loving the gifs. Soon, soooooon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Novigrad is not just the city. It's the first of the two main open worlds entire.

God damn, waiting for this is gonna feel like an eternity now. No loading, no dull fetch quests, day and night cycles that effect NPCs, great looking game and the combat looks decent. I'm even liking Geralt a bit now seeing how he interacts with characters.

Z3M0G

Not sure if I am interested in another Witcher game, but I am fascinated by the card mini-game within it...

And the map is absolutely huge. It's hard to imagine it until you see it zoomed in. All of those outer islands and all of that sailing.

GRiOjC0.gif

So good.

Whoa - you can sail too? I had no idea. I thought the stuff across the sea was instanced/fast-traveled.

I need to do more research on this game. I feel like I'm just discovering it for the first time.

ironcreed

Banned
Novigrad is 8.5x8.5 km
GTA V full map is 12x18 km

If anyone cares to make a pixel perfect comparison..

Compare it however you want, but Witcher 3 is a magnitude of order bigger than GTAV

Even the Skellige Isles map alone is bigger than Skyrim. Both open world maps are. Then there is the prologue area as well. It's pretty amazing

erawsd

You can't draw your sword while inside cities/villages maybe. Your attacks go through people without hurting them? Will people react if you try to attack them?

Anyone knows?

For a brief moment AngryJoe whipped out his sword in the village and people started screaming. He didnt try to attack anyone though.

rashbeep

Banned

Anyone knows?

I'm thinking nothing happens if you try to attack random NPCs. This isn't really a game where you can become a murderer, as they still need to maintain Geralt's character/personality.

ironcreed

Banned
Whoa - you can sail too? I had no idea. I thought the stuff across the sea was instanced/fast-traveled.

I need to do more research on this game. I feel like I'm just discovering it for the first time.

Check out the Skellige Isles map at around 2 and a half minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGJGDRnHT0

You can sail all over that area and even have to sail to get to the map itself. You can also dive for treasure, the whole nine yards.

ogbg

aD3Oj1Z_700b.jpg

According to that comparison each building in Novigrad would appear to be the size of a neighbourhood in Los Santos.

SaberEdge

I watched a little bit. I'm going through TW2 right now and I can safely say that TW3 looks like the game of forever. Can't fucking wait.

Damn, I'm trying to resist watching these. Only watching short segments in hopes of not spoiling anything. What I've seen, though, looks amazing on multiple levels. The next 21 days are going to be a brutal wait.

MaLDo

Why are you so negative? Honest question.

Considering the scope this game is trying to achieve, I think a few minor things here and there that will likely be taken care of in the final build or after release is kind of silly to comment on at this point.

I think this is the best looking game in a long time, esp for consoles (even though there has yet to be any real footage, I imagine this is the Gear of War of this generation).

Because is the most important thing for me: Smooth framerate. Over that foundation, I can enjoy games. Without that, I can't enjoy games. Maybe play them, but not real enjoy.

Having a bug here and there means they have to fix that little thing like misplaced occluder or AI path. But stuttering usually means bad streaming and this is a big overall problem and not something everybody can fix in a few weeks because means your engine can't organize and use all the assets your artistic team have put into the game fast enough.

And after playing GTA V with 2 GB gpus with perfect frametimes over hours I will ask for similar results to other open world games.

They mentioned that the stuttering is fixed in another build.

Do you have a link?

Travelling from Novigrad to Skellige is fast travel. Travel between the different Skellige isles is by sailing. They opted for fast travel to avoid geographically unbelievable locations (i.e. Novigrad and Skellige too close to eachother). The other possibility, sailing for a few hours, is gameplay-wise undesirable.

erawsd

Wait, I'm confused. We seriously don't have console footage yet? Is that true?

Well, technically there is the E3 stage demo that ran on an Xbox One. The only recent footage we've seen are a few bits of off screen footage. CDPR said they will be releasing a proper console trailer this week sometime.

ironcreed

Banned
EatChildren posted the Skyrim comparison the other day. This should give you an idea of how massive this game is.

Skyrim = 38 km2

Novegrad + No Man's Land = 72 km2.
Skellige Islands = 64 km2

Plus there is the open prologue area as well.

Top Bottom