• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Gets New Game+ Mode as Final Free DLC

Kurtofan

Do y'all do this in real life too? Somebody gives you something for free and you look at it and go "That's it? That's all you're giving me? You should have given this to me earlier, tbh."

NGplus is hardly very revolutionary, I thought it was in the game already tbh

cripterion

This is the most fucking stupid post that I've read on GAF in.... well, today.

Tell me in all honestly how long you think it took to make those missions. Seriously. I want to know what logic brings you to make such an inane statement.

What? Be impressed with the free DLC all you like I stand by what I said previously in this thread.
You think it's fucking stupid, sue me.

Now multiple the time it took you to complete the content by about 5000 and that's how much time they put into concepting, planning, designing, prototyping, iterating, integrating, testing and deploying said content....all for free.

Still think you're being reasonable here?

So what should I do instead? Get on my knees and say thank you for the free DLC? I can't criticize the content because it's free and it comes from CDPR?

I'm pretty sure I made it clear having it for free is nice but that I didn't find it praise worthy considering the content we have here, and that it could easily pass of as a patch (Things they did before with enhanced editions).

erawsd

$20!? Are you having a laugh?

Compared to the price of the expansion pass, all 16 pieces of DLC could be sold as a bundle at a price of $5 at an absolute maximum.

I wish I was "having a laugh," but its absolutely true that most other AAA games are selling the exact same type of content CDPR has given away. DA:I sells armor and mount packs for $5 each. MKX sells 3x character skins for $4 a pop. Arkham Knight is selling a 45 minute mission for $7. None of it is any different than the armor sets, skins, and quests CDPR has put out... Except that they are asking $0 for it.

The funny thing about the Witcher expansions is that they deliberately call them expansions because DLC has a reputation of being nothing but little insubstantial bits of content that everyone uses to nickle and dime their fanbase.

JackHerer

I really hope they do some extensive rebalancing for the NG+. Make the game MUCH harder please. I dunno how much we can realistically expect them to change though. It will probably be increases in monster levels and other small changes.

mitchman

Gold Member
I really hope they do some extensive rebalancing for the NG+. Make the game MUCH harder please. I dunno how much we can realistically expect them to change though. It will probably be increases in monster levels and other small changes.

Please no, use the higher difficulty levels if you want a harder game.

boskee

Regarding some of the questions that appeared since yesterday, here are some answers.

Enemies will be stronger obviously.

What carries over?
Player experience (if you're below level 30 when finishing the vanilla game, you will be bumped to level 30 for the start of NG+), items (excluding: quest items, books & letters, Gwent cards, usable items, trophies) and alchemy recipes.

When starting New Game Plus you can select any difficulty level.

You can obtain the Death Match achievement when playing the NG+ mode.

What's the starting level of the character when beginning NG+?
The same that you had when finishing the game, if above 30, otherwise you start at 30. You also get a free Clearing Potion at the start so you can reset your skills and try a different build.

Source: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45519-New-Game-is-coming-it-seems?p=1866418#post1866418

Good... Good...

Wonder if loot will scale to NG+ too. Like Witcher School Sets for example.

Still no idea how to get these level 45 swords on normal playthrough

Does this answer your question?
zdbquoh.jpg

Horns

Stupid question, but I presume the free DLC will remain that way forever. When I eventually get W3 I'll still get the free content?

According to a post from the developer's community and website coordinator Marcin Momot on the game's official forums, here's what you can expect (text directly from Momot):

Enemies will be stronger, obviously.
What carries over? Player experience (if you're below level 30 when finishing the vanilla game, you will be bumped to level 30 for the start of NG+), items (excluding: quest items, books & letters, Gwent cards, usable items, trophies), money, and alchemy recipes.
When starting New Game Plus you can select any difficulty level.
You can obtain the Death Match achievement when playing the NG+ mode.
What's the starting level of the character when beginning NG+? The same that you had when finishing the game, if above 30, otherwise you start at level 30. You also get a free Clearing Potion at the start so you can reset your skills and try a different build.

In another post, Momot also says that created elixirs "should carry over as well."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

mr.beers

What would be cool for NG+ is that the game would highlight quests you missed through NG and same with points of interests. It's seems like a lot to ask.

tbd

When this hits, it's factually and finally the best game of this generation so far.

It's true, trust me, I'm an expert.

mm04

Great news to have more options. I love the game and the characters so much and I've been waiting on my second play through until the paid DLC comes out too. I didn't like my build choices and some of the key moment decisions I made. Throw in the tons of secondary quests I skipped intentionally or unintentionally and it'll be like playing a new game that I know will be awesome.

As for the complainers here, you're using the wrong game and developers to jump on your soap box for. Good grief. We'd be lucky if most developers and publishers were like CDPR.

Really? No gwent cards it took forever to get them that is pretty shitty.

What would the point of keeping them? You then couldn't have any fun with them: finding them, playing matches to win more etc. With a "final" deck, you would steamroll 85% of the opponents, so even playing wouldn't be fun.

bobawesome

I feel like I should really buy this game but I won't have the time to play through it. Oh, how I wish I had picked this up instead of Arkham Knight.
I still enjoyed my time with it, though.

Krakn3Dfx

This feels a lot like something cut/held from the full game to piecemeal out at a later time just to say "hey, look what we're doing, we're the good guys!". All the of the free DLC has felt that way actually, so I'm not entirely surprised.

At the same time, I don't really care, the game already has a metric ton of content in it, I still haven't come close to finishing it, and given the release schedule come August into the end of the year, chances are good I'll never touch the NG+ anyway. Looking forward to the big expansions tho, and will definitely revisit the game once those are out.

Mashing

Has any one killed that Griffin in Skellige? What level is it?

I did, at level 30 I believe. I had to used an Archgriffin Decocition to do it (cause each strong attack to do 10% of the current vitality). It was the only way I could take it down. And I really learned how to dodge attacks in that fight, let me tell you.

Oh my Jesus, new game plus is exactly what I wanted for my second playthrough!!

I want to do the whole no ui, explore as you go thing, but couldn't stomach the time investment since it's been only a month since I beat it. New game plus changes that. I'm ready.

Forsythia

Just started my second playthrough and finished White Orchard. No way I'm finishing that playthrough now, I can wait to continue my first save with NG+! :D

Too bad about the Gwent cards not transferring, though.

speedomodel

Started up the Witcher 2 the other day and the wife got my this one for birthday. Really stoked to get into, game looks amazing.

Where did I complain about the amount of content The Witcher 3 shipped with?

NG+ is by far the most significant piece of this 16 free DLC piece program, but really, can we really class some of what we got as DLC? Yeah, it's downloaded content, but the majority of it amounted to alternate costumes or armour/weapon sets. I would be insulted if I was asked to pay for stuff like that.

I just do not understand where you're coming from. This is, to my mind, an ideal way to meter out content after a game's release, and I hope it serves as an example to other developers: small, intermittent, free releases to keep those who finish the game early busy, a more substantial free addition (NG+) to the game a bit later post release, and then two very substantial paid expansions coming down the road. What model would you prefer?

There's no indication anything was removed from the original game. Really and truly, if the 150-200 hours of content that came with Witcher 3 are so inadequate for your needs that you're upset about free downloadable content (yes it classifies as that - you're downloading it), I really don't know how to respond.

sometimes on Gaf, getting too much extra praise is the biggest crime of all. The only medicine is to provide enough criticism to balance it, no matter what.
---
My real concern though, this impedes me from using a different save from TW2 right?

gschmidl

Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Batman: Arkham Knight, nearly every MMO,...

It's more common than you think. I don't know many games with free content updates post-release.

...the oh-so-beloved DOTA2 and Half-Life 2... (e: re paying for alternate costumes)

Also, reminder that Asura's Wrath sold you the real ending separately.

benjammin

16 pieces of free dlc, the developer addressed almost every complaint about the game after release, and whiners are STILL crying about this? Some gamers are getting more entitled by the hour.

Awesome news, and awesome support from an awesome developer. More developers need to follow suit.

This is a weird way to posit New Game+, no one has ever considered it to be DLC and in all the games that do have it, they have it day one. Anyway, glad it's coming.

Top Bottom