• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

nib95

Banned
I have a very up and down relationship with this game. Like at times, it will truly stun me. When everything comes together, it just grips me and I truly feel the emotional gravity of the plot, and fully draw to the characters. On missions like The Bloody Baron for example, just magnificent, and honestly one of the best open world RPG missions I've ever experienced. But then the rest of it creeps through, and fills the experience with monotony and repetition, and my love for it wanes. Then after a good while, another mission will pop up that makes me adore it all over again.

I feel like I really enjoy many of the missions, and initial sense of wonder and expanse of the world, but then I also dislike the typical open world negatives of it all. At first it tricks you in to thinking it's not like other open world games, because even in mundane missions the story matters, but then you realise after the millionth contract, or side quest, or collectathon spree (that usually ends in you getting redundant gear) that you're basically still doing the same things over and over and over again, and that initial veneer is by then long gone. I don't know how many monsters guarding chests I've raided, or pirate sea barrels I've plundered, or contract monster smell trails I've tracked. Unfortunately this stuff you still have to do to some extent, at least if you want to succeed at the hardest difficulty, in order to level up and keep on top of better gear. It's just made worse by the fact that the game so infrequently rewards you with anything of merit, and instead the Witcher Gear (which is a chore to search for in itself), essentially dominate.

I think if the combat and controls themselves weren't as tankish and imprecise, it would fare much better. But as is, I'm not sure the game going as large as it did, actually helped it as much as I would have liked it too. I feel like for Witcher 4, if there ever is one, a size and linearity balance of something that was a cross between the Witcher 2 and Witcher 3, would fare much better. Eg not as massive and repetitive as The Witcher 3, but not quite as concise as The Witcher 2.

T.O.P

Banned
Smashed past 200. Now it's @ 204.

Insane

Absolutely shocked that this game ended up being one of the best experience in the industry for me since i pretty much couldn't stand W1/2 when i tried them lol

Hell i almost skipped it because of that

TLoU won 249 out of 552 awards in 2013.

The Witcher 3 now has 210 out of 360 awards in 2015 so far.
Geez, I really wish I had more time to dump in this game. As someone who played through W1 and W2, it seems crazy that I'm only about 15 hours in W3. I need to remedy this situation pronto!

Conduit

Banned
That's 45% for TLOU and 58% for TW3.
Also, TLOU didn't have a strong competition like bloodborne and MGS5

Are you sure? GTA V says : Hi! TLOU was unknown IP vs. behemoth like GTA V. And also GTA V or GTA franchise is bigger and stronger brand than Witcher, Fallout and MGS.

roytheone

Are you sure? GTA V says : Hi! TLOU was unknown IP vs. behemoth like GTA V. And also GTA V or GTA franchise is bigger and stronger brand than Witcher, Fallout and MGS.

I still think you can't discount the fact that it was seen as "the next naughty dog game" though, it was a new IP, but it was not a game that had no pedigree, it was not unknown simply by the fact that it was made by naughty dog.

But I do agree that saying that it had weak competition is stupid, both the Witcher and Last of Us had strong competition.

Conduit

Banned
I still think you can't discount the fact that it was seen as "the next naughty dog game" though, it was a new IP, but it was not a game that had no pedigree, it was not unknown simply by the fact that it was made by naughty dog.

But I do agree that saying that it had weak competition is stupid, both the Witcher and Last of Us had strong competition.

"the next naughty dog game" can be good or bad, right? "the next Kojima's game" .....can be good or bad also and "the next xxxxxx game" can be....and so on.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
GTAV?

Bloodborne and MGSV, as great as they are, are pretty light competition. A niche game and an easily criticized game.
The biggest PS4 exclusive of 2015 is not niche and MGSV was the fifth installment of a well known game franchise with a ton of hype behind it. Neither were light competition.

ethomaz

Banned
Still a far better game than anything released in 2015. Well deserving of the awards!
I prefer BB but that's me... I love to play it even today.

The biggest PS4 exclusive of 2015 is not niche and MGSV was the fifth installment of a well known game franchise with a ton of hype behind it. Neither were light competition.
GTAV is bigger than both combined by a long shot.

TLOU did have stronger competition for GOTY.

"the next naughty dog game" can be good or bad, right? "the next Kojima's game" .....can be good or bad also and "the next xxxxxx game" can be....and so on.

GOTY 2008 : Fallout 3 (MGS 4 on gaf)
GOTY 2011 : Skyrim (2nd place on gaf)

If you think KojiPro and Bethesda games are not good competition, I don't have anything to say to you anymore.

Both TloU & The Witcher had good competition.

Edit: and somehow we're not even talking about Bloodborne for Witcher 3 competition this time.

ethomaz

Banned
Bloodborne is a great game, but easily the worst of the soul games. It's not near as fresh or innovative as TW3. Which is why it's only getting a few awards.
I strong disagree.

I thing BB one the most innovative games launched this year and the best From Software game. It is way better than any Souls game.

The combat system is fucking good and fresh.

Now about TW3 I can say it is another open world game with bad combat system... it have nothing new or fresh that others open world games didn't have before.

I'm glad the big outlets are choosing BB over TW3.

See how opinions are different :)

Edit - It is my opinion and I believe TW3 deserves the awards too just not from me.

Conduit

Banned
GOTY 2008 : Fallout 3 (MGS 4 on gaf)
GOTY 2011 : Skyrim (2nd place on gaf)

If you think KojiPro and Bethesda games are not good competition, I don't have anything to say to you anymore.

Where i said that? I just said that GTA is bigger and stronger than all of them combined.

doomquake

Bueah..I wouldn't give them one.

The high fidelity graphics are quite nice but marred by poor engine optimization and lacks any "tricks" that we often see with console optimized engines (killzone fps on vita, gtav - very good tricks to keep fps high).

Story is disjointed, and one of the main issues is the awful character that is Geralt (i see him as that creep from Watchdogs now), the very poor voice actiing across the board (slavic names are mispronounced with excess, huge map but fees like only 10 villages are cloned and inhabit the entire place), i don't even want to go on.

Yeah this is great for 2012 or something, but come on.

of course it is my opinion and I respect that you enjoyed it if you did (the setting is super cool!)

Cheech

I strong disagree.

I thing BB one the most innovative games launched this year and the best From Software game. It is way better than any Souls game.

Can you explain why? I actually picked up Scholar of the First Sin when it was $20 on PSN, and am enjoying it FAR more than Bloodborne.

Bloodborne was pretty good, but it felt like a very cut down Souls game. No variety in locations, combat was very samey, and the online is a shadow of what SOTFS has.

That's why, for me, the Witcher 3 is an easy GOTY pick. Bloodborne isn't even the best Souls release of the month it came out in. ;)

The funny thing is that I bought DS2 at launch and hated it. They pretty much fixed all my complaints with SOTFS.

roytheone

The next Witcher game or the next uncharted game can also be good or bad. Hell, if you look at series that (temporarily) switched developers, those games are often much worse then the others made by the original developer (some exceptions of course), so I would say the developer is often a better indicator of quality than the series it is part of.

Can you explain why? I actually picked up Scholar of the First Sin when it was $20 on PSN, and am enjoying it FAR more than Bloodborne.

Bloodborne was pretty good, but it felt like a very cut down Souls game. No variety in locations, combat was very samey, and the online is a shadow of what SOTFS has.

That's why, for me, the Witcher 3 is an easy GOTY pick. Bloodborne isn't even the best Souls release of the month it came out in. ;)

The funny thing is that I bought DS2 at launch and hated it. They pretty much fixed all my complaints with SOTFS.

I think Bloodborne has far better combat, level design and lore. I much prefer the setting and presentation too. But some of that comes down to personal taste.
Witcher is far too clunky mechanically in my opinion.

Which is why Edge, like last year when they were one of the few who picked Bayonetta 2, got it right again.

ethomaz

Banned

Bloodborne combat is unmatched by any Souls game... it is better, fast and more reward than Souls games... it is a complete and unique experience... it shines more you use it and the different way weapons works makes it like a new game... you need to learn how to use all weapons to get the full experience.

The online is really great and better than previous Souls expect DS2 that did online right.

The design and story are ahead Souls too.

I don't consider BB a Souls game but for me it is the best game From Software created until now.

About TW3 I can't choose it due the so awful combat system... looks like they didn't even tried to create a good gameplay for the game.

Cheech

I think Bloodborne has far better combat, level design and lore. I much prefer the setting and presentation too. But some of that comes down to personal taste.
Witcher is far too clunky mechanically in my opinion.

Which is why Edge, like last year when they were one of the few who picked Bayonetta 2, got it right again.

I think it just depends on priorities. I love, LOVE the Souls games. Demon's Souls is, by far, my favorite PS3 exclusive. Nothing else comes close, except Valkyria Chronicles and maybe TLOU.

But, CD Projekt managed to so what I thought was impossible; have a convincing open world game with all the benefits of something like Skyrim, with a much, MUCH stronger collection of quests and story. It really is, I think, a first in CRPGs. Bloodborne is simply a soft iteration on the games that game before it. I have never been somebody too fussed with combat in an RPG; for me, exploration is king, with good quest design a close second. Combat is a nice plus.

The online is really great and better than previous Souls expect DS2 that did online right.

The design and story are ahead Souls too.

The one thing I really like about Bloodborne is the Lovecraftian atmosphere... but the Souls games have always had at least a few areas like Bloodborne, my favorite being the prison in Demon's Souls. An entire game of that isn't bad, but I prefer the Souls' variety in locations rather than the same thing the entire game.

I will say one of the things that disappoints me about all the people who jump to Bloodborne as GOTY since Souls is their favorite series of games, without appreciating the huge leap Witcher 3 made in the category of CRPGs. I've been playing them since the 80s, and Witcher 3 did things I've never seen before or thought you could experience in a CRPG.

I'm not saying ALL Souls fans are the lunatic fringe who will think all other games inferior to that series, but it's enough where I wish they would appreciate what something like the Witcher has to offer.

iNvid02

... it have nothing new or fresh that others open world games didn't have before.

theres plenty wrong with your post but I'll focus on this, it's a very ignorant statement you have here. I would take the time to explain but it should be clear to anyone who has experience with prior open world games and playing the witcher

poodaddy

CD Projekt has worked long and hard to earn the success they've made with this game, and I'm proud to of been a loyal supporter since Witcher 1 on launch. So happy for these guys man. My two favorite developers are some of the biggest names in gaming now, (CD Projekt Red and Yacht Club); man it's awesome to see devs who respect their consumers being showered with accolades like this.

I think it just depends on priorities. I love, LOVE the Souls games. Demon's Souls is, by far, my favorite PS3 exclusive. Nothing else comes close, except Valkyria Chronicles and maybe TLOU.

But, CD Projekt managed to so what I thought was impossible; have a convincing open world game with all the benefits of something like Skyrim, with a much, MUCH stronger collection of quests and story. It really is, I think, a first in CRPGs. Bloodborne is simply a soft iteration on the games that game before it. I have never been somebody too fussed with combat in an RPG; for me, exploration is king, with good quest design a close second. Combat is a nice plus.

Yeah, I'm the other way round. I'm all about the mechanics, and that fast, respsonsive and tense combat in particular. I also adore the meticulously crafted level design.

Though I will add that I feel Bloodborne has the best lore of any game to date. It nailed Lovecraft hard and I keep coming back to it. I generally don't go to games for their storytelling but From manages to intertwine narrative and systems so seamlessly that it becomes an organic whole.

You guys should read that 'little details in The Witcher 3' thread.
Even the most critically acclaimed linear games can't do those things, and it's an open world game.

silva1991

Bloodborne is a great game, but easily the worst of the soul games. It's not near as fresh or innovative as TW3. Which is why it's only getting a few awards.

Pretty sure most souls community consider DS2 to be the weakest with the expections of some PVP players cause PVP sucks in bloodbornen for the obvious reasons(hell Bloodborne even got more GOTY awards than DS2 in a strong year like this)

Witcher 3 is much bigger step up from Witcher 2 than BB from DS1, but innovation?

combat is straight from Witcher 2 with few improvements and witcher senses mechanics was in the second game as well iirc.

it's a very polished and quality game(the best western game by far since TLOU. and the best WRPG by far imo, but nothing I would call innovative about it in terms of gameplay.

now trick weapons in Bloodborne and guns in Splatoon are what I would describe as innovative.

Conduit

Banned
Well, you said previously that GTA is bigger than Witcher, Fallout, and MGS. So I presume that they're 'smaller' competition.
Or perhaps I should've quoted this guy as well instead.

They are not "small" competition, but GTA is bigger than all of them combined.

poodaddy

You guys arguing about Bloodborne and Souls games are derailing the shit out of this thread. Can't we just agree that both the Souls and Witcher franchises are absolutely incredible and be happy for CD Projekt here? This thread was not started to facilitate arguments man, just be positive.

You guys arguing about Bloodborne and Souls games are derailing the shit out of this thread. Can't we just agree that both the Souls and Witcher franchises are absolutely incredible and be happy for CD Projekt here? This thread was not started to facilitate arguments man, just be positive.

I see you obviously havent run across many Souls fans. :p

tuxfool

Banned
it's a very polished and quality game(the best western game by far since TLOU. and the best WRPG by far imo, but nothing I would call innovative about it in terms of gameplay.

Explain gameplay to me.

Once again people are using terms in context of their narrow world view. Gameplay means different things to different people.

I also understand the need to balkanize every individual aspect of a game into neat little boxes, but it gets complicated these days, especially in very expansive games. Ultimately it is kind of a reductive view of the game as a holistic whole.

They are not "small" competition, but GTA is bigger than all of them combined.

Bigger as in the total number of copies sold? Fair enough.

Well, we're supposed to talk about the number of GOTY rewards that video games won in 2015. It seems that it's a clear winner for The Witcher 3, yes. We have celebrated back in the first few pages. However, as time goes by and as in every GOTY awards (especially where the Witcher 3 won which 'unfortunately' happened a lot), people who aren't agree with the data that is displayed on the OP are trying to explain why The Witcher 3 didn't deserve that many awards. It's quite simple, tbh.

I've always wondered what these individual GOTY awards are. Can you just say you're a publication and this is my favorite? Seems to grow each year. How can I take any of this seriously?

NIGHT-

Not wanting to break this imaginary narrative you have going on in your head, I'd say the opposite is true.

Yea his statement is pretty false. W3 is grabbing awards from big sites as well. It's just a far better experience and package than Bloodborne, which is why it's goty

Yea his statement is pretty false. W3 is grabbing awards from big sites as well. It's just a far better experience and package than Bloodborne, which is why it's goty

Your favorite game may only have 1 goty award, but it's totally fair for you to say that the one who chose it is your big outlet. Perhaps you only go to that site only for video games feeds and avoid others at all cost. Everyone has their own big outlet(s).

NIGHT-

Your favorite game may only have 1 goty award, but it's totally fair for you to say that the one who chose it is your big outlet. Perhaps you only go to that site only for video games feeds and avoid others at all cost. Everyone has their own big outlet(s).

I'm not sure what you're getting at. But W3 has won more awards from big and smaller sites, not to mention it won on user votes from those outlets as well. It may be hard for you to accept, but TW3 is the goty overall of 2016. Bloodbore never had a chance, great game, just not in the same league

Top Bottom