• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone/Blood and Wine - which(er) quests?

emag

On a whim I bought the expansions for Witcher 3 (PC), despite thinking the main game was only okay when I played through it around launch.

As I wanted to experience the improvements that the newer patches brought but avoid having to rebuild my Geralt from scratch, I created a new game+ with my post-game save. That was probably a mistake, as NG+ significantly levels enemies up while resetting your crafting (and Gwent) collections and map progression. I grew bored and irritated playing through the White Haven and Valen/Bloody Baron sections again, so after finishing those I used the in-game console to level Geralt up to almost the recommended level for the Hearts of Stone main quest (58 vs. 67) and give him back his crafted/scaled Cat gear.

On to my question(s). I started the HoS main quest (enter the sewers) but I also see at least two HoS side quests (a missing person and runecrafting). Is there anything worth experiencing in the side quests, or should I stick to the main quest only?

I know I have to complete the Novigrad main quest(s) to get to the Blood and Wine content, which will be another chore. Would I be better off just loading the pregenerated B&W Geralt from the main menu? Should I bother with Blood and Wine's side quests?

Also, are there any worthwhile quality of life mods that other PC players can recommend? My frustrations with Witcher 3's travel/traversal, combat, and inventory have returned in full force.

bati

Most of the quests in The Witcher 3 are worth it.

For mods I'd definitely get auto apply oils, clear toussaint lighting (personal preference, I hate the piss filter), something to increase the amount of money the merchants have (so you don't have to run between them to sell all the loot), map quest objectives, clear toxicity face and screen. More quick slots is also amazing if you're using potions and other consumables a lot. The latter probably depends if you're playing with kbm or a pad though, I'm playing with a pad and I find it invaluable.

I'm playing with an alchemy spec so I'm also using Witcher 2 potion length (enhanced preset with vanilla food and toxicity) and hunter instinct patch because the skill is still broken in 1.31.

Rellik

After reading that post, I'm wondering why you're even playing it. It sounds like you don't enjoy playing Witcher 3 at all.

Van Bur3n

From the sounds of it, it sounds like you botched some things up since going to NG+ and rushing the whole thing. Were I you, I would (if you still have it) load up your save from NG and play the DLC from there. The DLC content for the game is best saved for endgame, with Blood and Wine best done after you complete the game.

In terms of side quests, most of HoS content is found in its main questline with just a few side things to do. I don't remember specifics but there there are two good side quests: one involving investigating a village and a pretty good albeit short contract mission. The others are just looking for Oferi stuff and the runewright stuff is really not worth it (nor the gold you need to invest in it).

Blood and Wine has a lot of content and all of it should be experienced.

Again, as I said, I'd go back to your NG save. It's also good to play the DLC first there so that if you ever want to play through the game again in NG+ (although it sounds like you don't like the game enough to do that) you have all of the goodies and unlocks from the DLC to play with throughout the game. If you don't have your NG save anymore, I'd probably just do the pre-generated new save for DLC.

Alej

Banned
Most of the quests in The Witcher 3 are worth it.

For mods I'd definitely get auto apply oils, clear toussaint lighting (personal preference, I hate the piss filter), something to increase the amount of money the merchants have (so you don't have to run between them to sell all the loot), map quest objectives, clear toxicity face and screen. More quick slots is also amazing if you're using potions and other consumables a lot. The latter probably depends if you're playing with kbm or a pad though, I'm playing with a pad and I find it invaluable.

I'm playing with an alchemy spec so I'm also using Witcher 2 potion length (enhanced preset with vanilla food and toxicity) and hunter instinct patch because the skill is still broken in 1.31.

My bro. When i play some Super Mario Bros, i definitely enable infinite lives via console, infinite fire, and i recommend those mods: pink color palette (pink > all), nude mario, true luigi (when playing with a friend), glass ceiling in holes (my favorite mod, it makes tje game a whole new game) and the all time favorite: the flute (get you directly to the princess if you get bored in 1-1 by pressing select+start simultaneously).

I don't recommend the giant Mario mod though, in 4K it looks a little too pixelated.

i'm a badass, come at me

Top Bottom