• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 is out, MGSV is out. Xenoblade Chronicles X is next.

wmlk

Hardly.

Morrowind started the more modern interpretation of the open world. AC even predates skyrim.

I'm not talking about the trend of having open worlds. I meant the general craze and what the press compared every big game to. It's the standard and it set new expectations.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm not talking about the trend of having open worlds. I meant the general craze and what the press compared every big game to. It's the standard and it set new expectations.

Ah yes. It is indeed the baseline unit. One Skyrim, two Skyrims, three Skyrims. It is just an arbitrary value that a lot of people recognise.

GorillaJu

The game hasn't been well received in Japan at all. I only played the demo of it but it wasn't encouraging me at all. The gameplay felt akin to an old-school MMO.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MGSV isn't really a conventional open world as people have come to expect from standards set by Bethesda, Rockstar, and now CDPR. A lot of my early disappointment was satiated by realising this and treating the "open worlds" as simply a large playspace to be utilised in structured missions, which is where it excels. When you're working towards a goal or objective it's simply like playing Metal Gear Solid only in a very large play space, but unlike the other titles it doesn't really offer much in content or emergent factors to justify exploring it aimlessly.

I kinda consider Afghanistan and Africa as places to visit when you're working towards an objective, versus Witcher/Fallout where you exist within the open world continuously for your entire experience.

Renekton

It is a question of how much time a player needs to devote to those tasks in order to get a complete experience.

Then there is the question of how such tasks are contextualized in the world. Random chests sprinkled across the map provide no story, no context.

You have to give over the fact that it isn't a binary choice on whether these things exist, but how they're implemented.

"Yes but I like it so much and now am going to articulate all the other things that it does well, unlike those other games, they suck, they have no merits whatsoever and I won't even acknowledge the things they do well."

Is usually the logic. It's why you see the terms "Ubi open world" really often, it means jackshit under scrutiny especially when you start to examine the differences of the gameplay systems.
Yeah those are good points I guess :/

If Ubi / Beth / Bio get so much stick for POIs, picking plants, combat, huh ending, etc then W3 should be treated the same. It is only fair :[
There's a huge difference in those games and saying that we can give one shtick because it shares similar elements to others is overly simplistic.

The POIs and their repetition would be a huge issue, but that's generally mitigated by the incredible sidequest design. I never really pursued POIs and I still ended up with a 100+ hour save file. In other games, it seems like that junk is there to pad out the game, and in some ways needs to exist because of how sparse the game might otherwise be. In TW3, it too pads out the game unnecessarily, but you can ignore it and still get an incredible, lengthy experience.

Picking plants is a problem, but probably not for the reason you think. My problem was that after the first twenty hours I had so much money I almost never picked a plant again. It ended up being a superfluous mechanic that probably should have been more meaningful.

Combat is somewhere between decent and mediocre. It still ended up being more fun for me to create my crit build than I've had in many other open world games. Which just tells me that the bar is low as crap.

I saw no "huh ending." I walked away immensely satisfied with my choices.

Most of those things that Ubi and others get crap for are not actually inherently bad game design in my mind. In the context of their actual implementation, they feel poor to me sure. But it doesn't need to be that way.

Anyways, I digress. This is a conversation probably for another thread.

Somewhat more on topic, count me in the "MGSV isn't really open world in the sense we're thinking, and it kind of sucks anyways" crowd.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah those are good points I guess :/

This is what I was trying to tell you, and I agree with the sentiments that "but it's like Ubisoft!", a complaint I admittedly have used before, really rings hollow. All games, all of them, can be very easily distilled down to the base formula of repetitive tasks because that's the underlying component of game design. Shoot the guy, visit the landmark, tick the box, open the chest, grind the level, click the screen, etc.

What matters is context and/or simple enjoyment of the underlying mechanics. Both of which are entirely subjective, mind you. MGSV, for example, has fairly boring narrative context to me but I enjoy the core game systems so fucking much I feel compelled to complete all the side ops and objectives. Wild Hunt, in my opinion, succeeds in giving narrative or world building context and purpose to almost all facets of the quest designs no matter how simple they are. Monster nests, for example, are literally just "go to area, beat the bad dudes, click on hole and kablammo. Rinse/repeat". But if you look at where these monster nests are placed the visual world building context is almost if not always relevant; burned down villages and abandoned sites of battle. It's world building in the sense that the game has established monsters tend to show up and breed/nest where there's sources of food, aka corpses. So when I wander out of a fairly lush forest into an area of scorched earth, a field of burned down trees, grass burned away, nothing but dust, and there's a monster nest there the visual context is compelling and believable. It immerses me in the world despite the simplistic game design because it assists the world building in a believable way.

Which is, again, totally subjective. But also why I think people enjoy the world of Wild Hunt so much, as this consistency in world building and context is very impressive.

tbd

Let us never forget...

AdolescentYawningAmericanrobin.gif

Planned to not watch this trailer but I couldn't resist anymore now that you made me watch some of the best parts with this gif anyway. Yeah, that's just amazing.

"Open world" doesn't do anything to excite me about a game, but the open world in Xenoblade X... now that excites me. That looks like something I want to explore.

Teuoxton

Witcher 3 and MGSV lock off portions of the world until story conditions are met. If you are lucky and stealthy you can go pretty much anywhere in X, save for a few areas only accessible by dolls.

I believe that some sections of MGSV and W3 maps were procedurally generated yes? We know that the entirety of Mira was "hand-crafted", so hopefully that means even the emptiest of locations will have some unique visual aspects to them.

I think all three games are great open worlds, and I'd add Mad Max, AC and Fallout 4 on the good list too.

tuxfool

Banned
Witcher 3 and MGSV lock off portions of the world until story conditions are met. If you are lucky and stealthy you can go pretty much anywhere in X, save for a few areas only accessible by dolls.

I believe that some sections of MGSV and W3 maps were procedurally generated yes?

Don't know about MGSV (though I very much doubt it as the maps aren't large). The witcher 3 certainly wasn't procedurally generated.

faridmon

I don't know, man, I saw that clip of gameplay that came out within the last week or two and it looks like classic AC combat, which is terrible. Ubisoft do a great job creating the historical locales and I love all the historical info packed into the games. But, despite the care put into the world, I don't think they can be great games because the combat and missions are so bad. They make great worlds I don't want to do anything in.

Well, I am optimistic. All the previews point out that they have learnt from their mistakes and are trying to bring it closer to the old formula. The fact that they didn't show bullshots and didn't overpromise anything shows that they are trying.

Fularu

Banned
Fallout 4 shouldn't be dismissed as more of the same

It should be dismissed as a bug ridden unplayable mess until the community fixes it 2 years down the line and you can buy it for 5$

Hasney

Ehz I'll get to XCX eventually. MGS has consumed me and if Fallout is "more of the same", so will 4.

Probably Just Cause and Hitman before it too though... Then we're into 2016. Damn, one day.

Mastperf

Fallout 4 shouldn't be dismissed as more of the same

It should be dismissed as a bug ridden unplayable mess until the community fixes it 2 years down the line and you can buy it for 5$
Opinions and all that, but most don't find Bethesda games to be an unplayable mess. It's the vocal minority that repeat over and over how Bethesda games are unplayable on consoles and only PC modders make it playable. It stupid, juvenile and just plain wrong. I loved The Witcher 3 but I had more bugs/issues with it day 1 than I did Skyrim day 1. The Witcher is still full of unfixed bugs not to mention the performance issues on PS4.

Raziel

Absolutely, since Fallout 4 is taking everything I loved since Fallout 1 and throwing it in the trash.

If import impressions are to be believed, Xenoblade Chronicles X is taking everything I loved since Xenogears and throwing it in the trash.

MGSV did not handle open world well at all, nor did it even need one. One of its many problems.

It has astonishing gameplay systems though, the stuff you can do is unparallelled. Open world or not, it's a brilliant sandbox.

Fallout though, I really dislike Bethesda's combat systems, art direction and writing and I doubt Fallout 4 will be a huge improvement.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
as an older gamer with not enough time.
can please someone in this thread relate to me?
and tell me how on earth they managed to beat witcher 3
and mgsV ?

(i just bought mgsV and i didnt had 1 moment for it yet

so little time i have left for playing games.
makes me feel jealous of my younger self that 100% ocarina of time.

oh well /oldguy

UrbanRats

Every well liked open world game suffers the same criticisms, in an earlier thread I noted, it's usually "All those open world games are the same and are repetitive, but I like this one so it's not." An example would be the fact that you have to capture outposts over and over in MGSV, like a Ubisoft game, yet some believe it has the best open world ever. :/

It's how you interact with it that makes it special.
I mean take something like Unity, that has the right idea in principle (giving you open, sandbox missions) it's kind of shit, because the controls are garbage and nothing works as it should.
So even if the world is more "alive" at a first glance, the way you interact with it is never really satisfactory.

The world in MGSV is pretty damn simple, but the elements in place work wonderfully with one another.

Opinions and all that, but most don't find Bethesda games to be an unplayable mess. It's the vocal minority that repeat over and over how Bethesda games are unplayable on consoles and only PC modders make it playable. It stupid, juvenile and just plain wrong. I loved The Witcher 3 but I had more bugs/issues with it day 1 than I did Skyrim day 1. The Witcher is still full of unfixed bugs not to mention the performance issues on PS4.

Yeah, I've found Bethesda games to run great considering all the things going on in them. Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim all ran great for me. Although PS3 Skyrim owners did get fucked over.

vocab

as an older gamer with not enough time.
can please someone in this thread relate to me?
and tell me how on earth they managed to beat witcher 3
and mgsV ?

(i just bought mgsV and i didnt had 1 moment for it yet

so little time i have left for playing games.
makes me feel jealous of my younger self that 100% ocarina of time.

oh well /oldguy

Time management. You either live the salaryman life and leave zero time for anything but working, or you actually set aside time for your hobbies. Or you have 6 kids, and well....Good luck with that.

UrbanRats

The problem i see with Bethesda game, is that they usually have:

Bad writing and bland quests.
Shallow RPG elements (especially as their series go on)
Shitty combat.
Shitty graphics and tech side in general.

So now that the open world element is more and more ubiquitous, and that games like Witcher 3 exist and are popularized, their unique selling point becomes more and more trivial.
That said, i'm sure FO4 will sell ton of copies and be critically acclaimed all the same.
Personally they kind of lost me with Skyrim.

Top Bottom