• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 is out, MGSV is out. Xenoblade Chronicles X is next.

Diablos

Is Witcher 3 that great or is it just Dragon Age: Inquisition in that people hyped it to death?

A lot of Witcher 3 praise seems to remind me of DA:I, and once the hype ship sailed so did everyone's interest...

I never played Witcher 3 but it makes me think I should wait a few more months until all the dust settles.

ODDI

Is Witcher 3 that great or is it just Dragon Age: Inquisition in that people hyped it to death?

A lot of Witcher 3 praise seems to remind me of DA:I, and once the hype ship sailed so did everyone's interest...

I never played Witcher 3 but it makes me think I should wait a few more months until all the dust settles.
Mate the honeymoon is more than over I'm sure you'll get honest opinion the game now, I would share mines but I'm no where close to completion and I just got my hands on MGSV.

But combat is one of the only thing's Dragon's Dogma does correct as far as I'm concerned. If we're talking strictly as an open world game, The Witcher 3 kills it dead. And I say that as someone who really enjoyed DD and will buy it on PC day one.
Great rpg ever made.

DD combat
Witcher 3 except combAt and more ciri=best rpg ever.

Exentryk

Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've ever played, toppling Xenogears and Xenoblade (Wii) at the top.

I tried half an hour of DA:I, but games with custom characters don't do it for me.

tuxfool

Banned
See my edited post; does it live up to the hype?

DA:I doesn't. What a boring ass game.

It really depends on what you want out of the game. If you want engaging and interesting quests you got it, along with a really well designed and living world. Combat is more hit and miss, I liked it, but some people are convinced it is the worst thing ever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Witcher 3 is a legitimate contender for my favourite video game ever.

It's okay.

CHC

See my edited post; does it live up to the hype?

DA:I doesn't. What a boring ass game.

Witcher III does, for sure. It's not without a flaw or two and some spots of slightly-off pacing but it's really quite a feat of game production. I couldn't care one bit for Dragon Age 1, 2, or 3 frankly, and I was slightly-positive on Witcher 1 & 2 but by no means a super fan.

It feels like the only open world game yet that has actually been a really meaningful leap forward in terms of design. It looks incredible almost all the time, the writing is typically excellent (at the worst, passably decent fantasy schlock), and just really made me wonder "how did they DO this" more times than any other game I've played in recent memory.

Sorry if this sounds like more blind hype but I really was impressed by how much of an accomplishment the game was.

Qwyjibo

Xenoblade X is the only Wii U title left that I'm excited for. But really, I'd be shocked if it even comes close to the Witcher 3. That game set some ridiculous expectations for any future RPG. It basically killed my desire to go back to DA:I (stopped a few hours in) for now.

I recently finished Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS and enjoyed it. It had some obvious flaws but the overall story made up for it and then some. I hope Xenoblade X gives me a similar experience.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really should read up impressions of Xenoblade X, because despite loving Xenoblade none of the footage for X has really grabbed me. I've been pretty wary of it.

Only legitimate complaints I've ever heard was that the combat and movement are weird in some spots. But other then that the game is amazing, seriously give it a shot.

Stiler

Cept most people don't have the Wii U, at least in the west.

I'd have loved to play Xenoblade but not going to drop 100's of dollars for a single game.

Also nothing new in Fallout 4?

I Think the whole building up your base aspect is pretty new and something that separates it from the other ones (Even MGSV, where you don't really get to build your base in the open world).

Dark_castle

Obviously it has some weakness, like the combat is just alright. But otherwise the game has some of the best quest design all around, which is a fair big deal. Incredible atmosphere. Choices that matter. Mature plot. Great music, interesting characters. Battle of Kaer Morhen is some of the best, climatic sequences in recent RPG for me.

The Hermit

Quantity? You judge a game's success based on the quality of the people who buy it rather than the quantity of the people who buy it?

Omg hahaahh

Quality of people, Iam dying.

Btw, this is becoming a good reality check for xenoblade X. The music was a huge downgrade for me already.

RPGam3r

LOL at dismissing Bethesda in context of open world gaming. A company that has time and again be leader in critical and market appeal based on said design.

Witcher 3 is my clear GOTY at this point, the game that likely stands a chance to take it down in Fallout 4.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
LOL at dismissing Bethesda in context of open world gaming. A company that has time and again be leader in critical and market appeal based on said design.

Witcher 3 is my clear GOTY at this point, the game that likely stands a chance to take it down in Fallout 4.

Indeed. Ridiculous.

Majestad

Banned

Bethesda was good, but CD Projekt Red is the king now. Bethesda also gets lots of deserved shit because of the shitload of bugs their games have, and crap like horse armor, and more recently, "buy our season pass we don't even know what it will have!"

EatChildren

Bethesda was good, but CD Projekt Red is the king now. Bethesda also gets lots of deserved shit because of the shitload of bugs their games have, and crap like horse armor, and more recently, "buy our season pass we don't even know what it will have!"

Horse armour was almost a decade ago.
Witcher 3 was and is buggy. At launch I couldn't use my inventory for more than 15 seconds without it freezing the game.
Bethesda DLC for their recent games is generally considered worth the investment and full of content.

I don't really like Bethesda's open world RPG design but people obviously like them for plenty of viable reasons and overall they're good value for money.

All good games, I also really have enjoyed Mad Max 2 although MGS5 is stealing all my time and now Destiny Taken King is coming out.

Its a grand time to be alive!!!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Assassin's Creed Syndicate is gonna be the best open world this year. so many people denying this fact is just pitiful.
While I think ACS is gonna be a great game, there's no way it'll be as highly regarded as the likes of Witcher 3(my GOTY hands down) or Fallout 4. Witcher 3 didn't need to be the most hyped up game of this year to earn that award for me.

spidermanbosslaughing.gif

Yes, Witcher 3 is that great.

balgajo

XBX was my most anticipated game because of OG XBC and wonderful trailers. Then they revealed the customizable character, strange/bad soundtrack and after JP launch I saw a lot of videos that made me loose my interest. I didn't sell my Wii U yet though I'm not even sure if I'll buy the game in the end of the year.

Renekton

Mate the honeymoon is more than over I'm sure you'll get honest opinion the game now, I would share mines but I'm no where close to completion and I just got my hands on MGSV.
Witcher 3's honeymoon is not over.

It is still getting a free pass from criticism despite having the same design decisions or flaws of many open-world RPGs.

Crossing Eden

Witcher 3's honeymoon is not over.

It is still getting a free pass from criticism despite having the same design decisions or flaws of many open-world RPGs.
Every well liked open world game suffers the same criticisms, in an earlier thread I noted, it's usually "All those open world games are the same and are repetitive, but I like this one so it's not." An example would be the fact that you have to capture outposts over and over in MGSV, like a Ubisoft game, yet some believe it has the best open world ever. :/

Majestad

Banned
Every well liked open world game suffers the same criticisms, in an earlier thread I noted, it's usually "All those open world games are the same and are repetitive, but I like this one so it's not." An example would be the fact that you have to capture outposts over and over in MGSV, like a Ubisoft game, yet some believe it has the best open world ever. :/

Those people probably haven't played a single open world ever. The world in MGSV is godawful.

Renekton

If Ubi / Beth / Bio get so much stick for POIs, picking plants, combat, huh ending, etc then W3 should be treated the same. It is only fair :[

RPGam3r

King after one try at open world, with one franchise? I really love TW3 but come on. Their game was riddled with bugs and their laundry list patch notes are proof of that. And the horse armor was a damn decade ago let it go, seriously some of you act like scorned lovers with this shit.

tuxfool

Banned
If Ubi / Beth / Bio get so much stick for POIs, picking plants, combat, huh ending, etc then W3 should be treated the same. It is only fair :[

It is a question of how much time a player needs to devote to those tasks in order to get a complete experience.

Then there is the question of how such tasks are contextualized in the world. Random chests sprinkled across the map provide no story, no context.

You have to give over the fact that it isn't a binary choice on whether these things exist, but how they're implemented.

wmlk

I think a lot of people forget that Skyrim is what started this entire craze to begin with. Bethesda sets the standard.

Sayad

MGSV open world is awful, especialy when it comes to navigation, would have been so much better if you just picked mission from a menu like GZ, that being said, it by far have the best gameplay in an open world. So to say, it's not a great open world game, it's a great game with an open world!

Crossing Eden

Those people probably haven't played a single open world ever. The world in MGSV is godawful.
It's quite barren yes. The emergent AI of the FC games would've done wonders. The base infiltration is the best part.

"Yes but I like it so much and now am going to articulate all the other things that it does well, unlike those other games, they suck, they have no merits whatsoever and I won't even acknowledge the things they do well."

Is usually the logic. It's why you see the terms "Ubi open world" really often, it means jackshit under scrutiny especially when you start to examine the differences of the gameplay systems.

Top Bottom