• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 is out, MGSV is out. Xenoblade Chronicles X is next.

Mentok

Banned
Gematome_04-25-15_Xenoblade-X.jpg

You're absolutely right, nothing will top the disgusting character faces of xenoblade chronicles x.

Not even 10 replies to the OP before this came up. Can't have an XCX conversation without it! Well done GAF....

Also as others have said, Just Cause 3 and Fallout 4 really should be mentioned.

Seriously, you omit Fallout but include Xenoblade... Why?

Xenoblade was already an open world game before, and from the import's impression, slightly worse than its predecessor.

specdot

Year of the open world. Each game being the best in what it does. I honestly don't see any open world touching these 3 for a long time if ever.

MGSV - Open World stealth action. No stealth game can compare to this game, gameplay, story, or graphics wise.

Witcher 3 - Open world 3rd person action rpg. Great atmosphere, environment, characters, decent story. Again, nothing compares in this area.

Xenoblade X - Open World Sci Fi rpg. Not out yet in the west, but we know what's coming. Huge open world, great gameplay, a billion quests, and DOLLS!

I didn't include Fallout 4 because well...it looks like the last Fallout. Nothing new, just upgraded for next gen.

Like I said above, I don't see any open world game topping those 3 in the near future, if at all. So for everyone wanting linear games to return, now is the time to tell the publishers.

Do you see any open world game possibly taking down the 3 above? Do you want to see a return to the straight forward story games of the past? Post thoughts
Oh jeez.
So you've played Xenoblade X? I guess it's the best open world game out, huh?

TI82

Banned
Wow. It's like reading one those old consolewarz discussions but this time it's about games. Even if some game you've never even played does not interest you, you still don't have to bash it to make your favourite game(s) look better.

Is there stealth games that have better gameplay than MGS V? I'm pretty new to the genre so I would genuinely like to know! I don't mind bad story if good gameplay is keeping me entertained.

Volume seems pretty fun

Wow. It's like reading one those old consolewarz discussions but this time it's about games. Even if some game you've never even played does not interest you, you still don't have to bash it to make your favourite game(s) look better.

Is there stealth games that have better gameplay than MGS V? I'm pretty new to the genre so I would genuinely like to know! I don't mind bad story if good gameplay is keeping me entertained.
Depends. Do you like MGS V's freeform nice of stealth and action or do you like hardcore stike-to-the-shadows stealth

If it's the former, MGS V is definitely the best yet IMO. With Dishonored in second place, and Hitman: Blood Money/Splinter Cell: Blacklist tied for third

If it's the latter, you should check out Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Thief 1 & 2, and Mark of the Ninja

Karl Hawk

Banned
You have a real hard-on for The Witcher 3. It's OK if some of us don't think it is the greatest game ever made. I am enjoying it more since I turned off the points of interest, but it's still doesn't grip me to keep playing the way Bloodborne did.
I'm very well aware of its flaws and I have no shame in believing it's one of the best games of this year.

Though, with the way people talk about the gameplay, you might think its the worst combat system ever made (hint: it isn't)

Majestad

Banned

I found Dishonored way more fun.

Inotti

Thief 2 is the god of stealth games.

I have to try it sometime. So does it really hold up after 15 years? It looks a bit rough but if the gameplay is still golden I'm pretty sure I'm able to look past it. :)

Depends. Do you like MGS V's freeform nice of stealth and action or do you like hardcore stike-to-the-shadows stealth

If it's the former, MGS V is definitely the best yet IMO. With Dishonored in second place, and Hitman: Blood Money/Splinter Cell: Blacklist tied for third

If it's the latter, you should check out Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Thief 1 & 2, and Mark of the Ninja

So far in MGSV I've played every mission with "perfect stealth, no kills" and some missions even with "no trace" -bonus so I would say I prefer hardcore stike-to-the-shadows stealth. I really love how it is possible to play missions so that no one ever knew I was there! Thanks for the great tips btw. I've played Blood Money years ago with my husband and it was awesome and I have Dishonored in steam but I've never installed it. Don't even remember where I got it. :D

HeelPower

The problems I have are mostly tied to the monster fights. It's great that you are able to make potions or use oils to prepare for the fights but the fights themselves are not interesting and different enough, especially against the bigger ones. That's why Dragon's Dogma is often so prevalent in Witcher 3 discussions because that's the part it did exceptionally well. Monster fights in that game feel like a really big deal particularly the first few times you fight one. Since Geralt's job is to hunt down monsters those sequences should be highlights and the fact that they're not is disappointing.

Dragon's Dogma enemies and fights are garbage outside of the Chimera,Griffin, and Cyclops.There's really nothing remarkable or interesting about any other enemy type.

In the Witcher 3, good management of bombs,signs and the cross bow(for flying enemies) can always be fun and interesting in most fights.Its usually the monsters who require you to try out different strategies anyway and not so much the humans.

Witcher 3's combat is a 100% solid and satisfying.I really don't get the prevalent criticisms of that element in the game.

HeelPower

Though, with the way people talk about the gameplay, you might think its the worst combat system ever made (hint: it isn't)

Yeah.

I have a feeling people just say so because the previous two games set a bad precedent.

TW3 made a significant leap over its predecessors in terms of combat quality and is firmly a competent game in this regard.

epmode

I have to try it sometime. So does it really hold up after 15 years? It looks a bit rough but if the gameplay is still golden I'm pretty sure I'm able to look past it. :)

The first two Thief games don't look like much (even though some mods can really clean them up) but they absolutely stand the test of time. They play so goddamned well and that audio design will never go out of style. The sense of atmosphere is almost unmatched.

MGS5 is brilliant too, just in different ways.

ViciousDS

Banned
Not even 10 replies to the OP before this came up. Can't have an XCX conversation without it! Well done GAF....

Also as others have said, Just Cause 3 and Fallout 4 really should be mentioned.

It's cool, every game has those ass holes. FFXV attracts all the troll boys as well, if not even more than XBX. But, I reall need to go steal my WiiU back when this game comes out lol.

But honestly, I can't stand MGSV's open world....it's boring and just a disguise to make the game feel longer. I could do without it, witcher though? Holy shit what an open world that was. I always forgot to call my horse and walked the trails taking in the games atmosphere. But damn.....open world games at least single player can really take a break. It's just becoming too cluttered and time consuming

flozuki

What the hell is "Xenoblade Chronicles X" and why would you name it before Just Cause 3?

Is Just Cause by the people that created mad Max...? Then you probably have the answer, OP is mentioning the best of the best :) If the quality is better than expected OP still can add it.

Lingitiz

Is Just Cause by the people that created mad Max...? Then you probably have the answer, OP is mentioning the best of the best :) If the quality is better than expected OP still can add it.

Same dev, separate team. Game looked really great at E3 and people who played it have been positive on it.

XBX is somewhat of a known quantity because of impressions out of Japan. Some of it good, some of it not so good.

Krabboss

The last few years have been the year of the open world.

Are the optional quests in X any less abysmal than the ones in the original Xenoblade? They really filled those areas with boring stuff.

Nipo

One is by Avalanche Stockholm the other by Avalanche New York. It is like saying Rockstar North and Rockstar San Diego are the same people.

Fwiw, I'm not trying to hate on XBX, it's not a bad game, like I said I'd say it's about 7/10, maybe 8/10 at best.

What I'm trying to do is get people to lower their expectations way the fuck down so they'll enjoy it instead of just being completely disappointed and pissed off. Especially since the game doesn't have "Episode 1" on the box. If you go in with the right expectations and know you're getting a big world sandbox to explore with minimal story and lots of unanswered questions in the end, MMO style repetition, and gameplay and level design that go completely out the window once you get your mech, but the feeling of flying around in a mecha is totally awesome for a while, and the on-foot exploration and battle system is great like Xenoblade, nice looking areas, good music; if you know that stuff going in and you're ok with that, you'll probably enjoy the game.

If you go in with expectations based off the red herring trailers and the gifs that look amazing and you think Xeno~ + open world mechs is going to be a huge epic adventure like Xenogears or something...you're going to set the disc on fire when you're done :p
I think a lot of people here are still in that phase after people keep on posting the same gifs.

Gematome_04-25-15_Xenoblade-X.jpg

You're absolutely right, nothing will top the disgusting character faces of xenoblade chronicles x.

image.php

hahaha what is this mess.

XCX as an open world game wont be topped by any western RPG, not even Fallout. The game will be subpar though, specially compared to Xenoblade Wii.

Vertti

Not really feeling Xenoblade X.

I'll buy it just to give my support to Monolith Soft/Nintendo. But I'm afraid I'll maybe play 30 hours and then get bored.

It looks cool but I've heard it has lackluster story and boring side quests.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Like I said above, I don't see any open world game topping those 3 in the near future, if at all. So for everyone wanting linear games to return, now is the time to tell the publishers.

If the only non-linear games you've played are open world games then you're missing out on a lot.

epmode

I've been playing big RPGs for literally decades. For as long as I can remember, the tradeoff used to be in the combat/animation system. You couldn't have fucktons of content and great action/animation at the same time. Either the engine couldn't handle it or the developers chose to focus on content breadth over combat depth. And honestly, I was OK with that. That was the deal. Tons of content or fun action combat. As long as the combat wasn't godawful, I was happy.

So seeing something like The Witcher 3 is incredible. It's obviously not on par with a dedicated action game but it's so far over similar games that it's a joy to play.

In related news, complaints about character animation in The Witcher 3's dialogue scenes strike me as incredibly silly for similar reasons. It's like that "Everything's amazing and nobody's happy" bit. Give it a second, it's going to space.

vocab

image.php

hahaha what is this mess.

Exactly, I said the same thing my self. What is that mess.

Dragon's Dogma enemies and fights are garbage outside of the Chimera,Griffin, and Cyclops.There's really nothing remarkable or interesting about any other enemy type.

In the Witcher 3, good management of bombs,signs and the cross bow(for flying enemies) can always be fun and interesting in most fights.Its usually the monsters who require you to try out different strategies anyway and not so much the humans.

Witcher 3's combat is a 100% solid and satisfying.I really don't get the prevalent criticisms of that element in the game.

Most of the criticisms come from dedicated souls players who think that combat is untouchable when in fact has faults in many areas. Especially with bloodborne being mashy as hell.

I enjoy all sorts of combat systems. Hell, I enjoy Gothic 1 + 2, and Risen 1s combat and people shit all over them because it's "too clunky" or too hard when the game is built around them. Witcher 1's combat is the weakest simply because of the animation bypass, and have not many defensive options outside talents. I'm going through Witcher 2 right now, while it has a learning curve, it's a big step up. If Witcher 3 improves any of that in any way, I no doubt will enjoy it.

Bit strange to say it's going to be a long time, if ever, beating these. Open world games are ten a penny these days and there's plenty more to come. I see so much more potential in much better open world games, as neither Witcher nor MGS were anywhere close to perfect or amazing games. I'm not even sure Xenoblade will be all that either from impressions. But we'll have to wait see on that one.

Ala Alba

Xenoblade was already an open world game before

No, it wasn't. Xenoblade is a linear RPG with large areas and fast travel. There is very little that could be called open world in it.

Exploration and sidequest access is heavily gated by story progress, and you progress through every area in a fairly linear fashion.

Kazer

As has already been stated plenty of times: Fallout 4 needs to be included.

Xenoblade - didn't like it on the Wii, tried again on 3DS with the same result. I've heard the story takes a back seat in the new Wii U title so I'm not even bothering with it (and impressions aren't so great). Plus I don't see myself enjoying it considering I didn't like the combat (or anything really) in the first game.

Witcher 3 - prettiest open world to me so far. Hated the combat in that game though.

MGS5 - best so far for me. World is pretty bland but it's really fun.

Not really. It has one, but most of the questions brought up aren't answered because the game is clearly XBX Episode 1, so they better make XBX Episode 2 or else...lol

Also they should have just called it Xenoblade X Episode 1. It would have tempered story expectations a lot and wouldn't leave people playing it wondering why nothing is happening in the story 40 hours in.

Welp. That sounds disappointing. Thanks for the heads up. I hate it when games have sequel bait like that.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's cool, every game has those ass holes. FFXV attracts all the troll boys as well, if not even more than XBX. But, I reall need to go steal my WiiU back when this game comes out lol.

Final Fantasy XV looks like the last Final Fantasy. Nothing new, just upgraded for next gen.

But seriously, Fallout 4 is the most anticipated upcoming open-world game even though I'm not a big fan of Bethesda open-world games.

Yeah Fallout 4 has nothing new at all. Got so sick of building my own bases in 3 and NV.

I know it's out of the scope of this discussion but there are some pretty good town building mods for the Fallout games and Skyrim. They were well done and I hope we can set up well, and create actual areas for ourselves. The Fallout guys have inspired things from modders before such as the survival aspects in NV.

It would also be cool if you can recruit people to places you build, so you can create your own town or have guards. The mods had to make do with some generic text for recruited villagers, but Bethesda could do some interesting things with it.

But I think I can hold off on F4 and wait till I build a PC and it goes on sale. I think the base games could usually do with much more polish and the story isn't amazing but it is enjoyable for what it is. I love Beth games for the mod community and what they create.

This honestly doesn't sound right to me. Have you been to BBI? The enemies you listed you meet aren't too far into the game and within the first quests you receive in Gransys. The BBI encounters were pretty good with new enemy types. Even in the vanilla game people liked the 3 dragon types, especially since you can wander into the Drake just exploring in the wrong area (this happened to a lot of people such as myself on gaf when the game first released). There's a lot of encounters that are much more interesting than the 3 you listed.

anaron

hahaha at anyone trying to say XB's potato faces looked normal

Lin's face aside, It's weird to me that the anime style that has populated so many games is suddenly considered this weird abomination with X.

The only game where it's actively creeped me the fuck out is Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4.

Starfield

I didn't include Fallout 4 because well...it looks like the last Fallout. Nothing new, just upgraded for next gen.

lol, if you say so

I reasoned with your post up until that point. After that it just became laughable

Altairre

I agree that the combat in Witcher 3 is solid, it's not like the monster fights are bad but they're underwhelming to me compared to Dragon's Dogma even with the potions, oils and signs. Saying that the fights in Dragon's Dogma are garbage is just hyperbole. Maybe you didn't like them as much as most other people seem to but they're definitely not garbage.

faridmon

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is gonna be the best open world this year. so many people denying this fact is just pitiful.

Fatal Frame V is going to be the best Open World game released this year. Opening every room in the haunted mansion (including the toilet door) and run through the mansion from the front door to the back door and through the garden and into the haunted forests. Open world personified.

On topic: I wish Deep Down was still a thing, that looked cool.

Top Bottom