• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 is out, MGSV is out. Xenoblade Chronicles X is next.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Didn't early players basically say Xenoblade X was pretty bad? I'm not sure it's fair to name it next to GOTY-tier stuff like TW3 and MGSV.

Bebpo

Banned
A question about Xenoblade X, is the camera perspective changeable? Do the characters always look small-ish?

Camera is great, it's really really user customize-able. You can even play the game as an FPS if you zoom all the way in!

Didn't early players basically say Xenoblade X was pretty bad? I'm not sure it's fair to name it next to GOTY-tier stuff like TW3 and MGSV.

In the import OT it was fairly split. Some people liked it, some people didn't like it, some people were in the middle.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is gonna be the best open world this year. so many people denying this fact is just pitiful.

It could turn out good, if it follows my Assassin's Creed pattern for games. AC games that I don't buy day one seem to turn out really well (AC2, Brotherhood, Black Flag). And after Unity I'm sure as shit not buying this day one.

Breads

Banned
MGSV is great but I don't think it will have a long tail. Not like a TES or Fallout game. There isn't enough to do it in or much incentive to replay it. Witcher is on point though. Absolutely amazing.

Not going to comment on Xenoblade or Fallout 4 because you're obviously joking.

It is a good year though. Can't wait to see what crazy BS Just Cause pulls.

Xenoblade X is different from Xenoblade, hence the mixed reactions. You don't have to expect Xenoblade 2 going in, you'll be sorely disappointed. It's a different game with it's own strengths and weaknesses. From the JPN impressions, I feel positive about it. There's a focus on exploration and missions, rather then the more linear approach of Xenoblade. This also means a weaker story, but more variety in missions and ways to customize your party.

braves01

Banned
Assassin's Creed Syndicate is gonna be the best open world this year. so many people denying this fact is just pitiful.

I don't know, man, I saw that clip of gameplay that came out within the last week or two and it looks like classic AC combat, which is terrible. Ubisoft do a great job creating the historical locales and I love all the historical info packed into the games. But, despite the care put into the world, I don't think they can be great games because the combat and missions are so bad. They make great worlds I don't want to do anything in.

hemo memo

Gold Member
MGSV is great but I don't think it will have a long tail. Not like a TES or Fallout game. There isn't enough to do it in or much incentive to replay it. Witcher is on point though. Absolutely amazing.

Not going to comment on Xenoblade or Fallout 4 because you're obviously joking.

It is a good year though. Can't wait to see what crazy BS Just Cause pulls.

Play in it right now, every main mission designed to be played multiple times to score better or complete tasks or approach the mission in different playstyle. Also side missions and base building and soldiers recruiting. It's a big game.

Overside

Banned
Dragon's Dogma enemies and fights are garbage outside of the Chimera,Griffin, and Cyclops.There's really nothing remarkable or interesting about any other enemy type.

In the Witcher 3, good management of bombs,signs and the cross bow(for flying enemies) can always be fun and interesting in most fights.Its usually the monsters who require you to try out different strategies anyway and not so much the humans.

Witcher 3's combat is a 100% solid and satisfying.I really don't get the prevalent criticisms of that element in the game.

line-in-the-sand.jpg

Meh. MGSV as much I love it didnt top Farcry 3/4 for open-world stealth and Dragons Dogma's gameplay especially combat smokes Witcher 3's.

It wouldn't be a Xenoblade thread without a few people posting GIFs of beautiful vistas, and several others gagging at the sight of that one girl's face :p.

I'll wait for reviews.

Breads

Banned
Play in it right now, every main mission designed to be played multiple times to score better or complete tasks or approach the mission in different playstyle. Also side missions and base building and soldiers recruiting. It's a big game.

I should have worded that better. That is how I'm playing - I'm averaging at roughly 2 hours per ingame percentage point (200 hours first playthrough?!?) because I am going back and perfecting runs and getting as much as I can. It would probably be going faster but you know - you don't know what objectives you missed until after the mission is over. The thing is that I don't see myself is dedicating the same amount of time again which is why I question it's tail - a long tail being a very important quality to me in open world games.

Dragons Dogma's gameplay especially combat smokes Witcher 3's.

But combat is one of the only thing's Dragon's Dogma does correct as far as I'm concerned. If we're talking strictly as an open world game, The Witcher 3 kills it dead. And I say that as someone who really enjoyed DD and will buy it on PC day one.

Dysun

All I know is that I need way more free time to play all these games.

Bloodborne, Pillars, Witcher 3 were a marathon and I've barely scratched the surface of MGS V.

Yet Fallout 4 and Xenoblade X loom close in the distance. Sort of glad Zelda got pushed out
Just going to ignore Dragon Age/Witcher/Pillars DLC or I'd never move on to new games

jorgejjvr

All I know is that I need way more free time to play all these games.

Bloodborne, Pillars, Witcher 3 were a marathon and I've barely scratched the surface of MGS V.

Yet Fallout 4 and Xenoblade X loom close in the distance. Sort of glad Zelda got pushed out
Just going to ignore Dragon Age/Witcher/Pillars DLC or I'd never move on to new games
Agreed

Bloodrage

Banned
Year of the Side Quest.

Open world games are going to have to change their approach if they want to be interesting again. Be more focused on the story or don't bother. I really couldn't care less about uninteresting, endless "go kill a bunch bandits in this camp", "collect this thing from these bandits", "go save a bunch of hostages", "mark the map and go here" (get there 5-10-20-30 minutes later because dumbass enemies were force fed on the player). Ugh. Fucking open world gaming these days is so creatively bankrupt.

Give me more story missions than repetitive side quests.

Lol.
OP dismissed Fallout and put Xenoblade X as great open world game instead?
Xenoblade's fetch quests are not even on the same level as Fallout's side quests. They're just meaningless.

I've said it multiple times and I'll say it again. The game seems to be similar to MGSV in which it has better gameplay than its predecessor(s) and an open world, but weak on story and much poorer in pacing.

Just for the record xenoblade X didnt get negative reviews, or even mixed reviews, it got alot of positive reviews, lowest being in the 80s on up, impressions are overall positive aswell, with some people getting disappointed, but people always get disappointed.
Thisisneogaf.gif

silva1991

ummmm....

I would not tell anyone in their right mind to expect anything like Xenosaga or Xenogears. You have expectations like that you're gonna end up on youtube setting the disc on fire or something.

Xenoblade X is a pure gameplay game with minimal story kind of like MGSV, that starts out good with some interesting level design (the 2nd area has the best level design in anything Xeno) and a solid on-foot battle system and challenge and then you get robots and it seems better for a couple of hours and then you realize there's no more gameplay in the game because the robots broke any level design so it's just flying around a bunch of big empty areas (there are no mech dungeons in the game because everything is designed to be possible on foot) and the combat is even more broken but the mechs are overpowered so it's not worth going back to on-foot battle system. Nothing happens story-wise until the last 2 hours of the game which is basically the Ground Zeroes of prologue for Xenoblade Episode 2 one day, and instead the whole game is mainly 60 hours of filler with nice graphics, music and a million MMO quests. The exploration is the best thing it has going for it and is amazing, especially when you go from on-foot to flying in your mech. But that's the first half of the game. A couple of hours after doing that, the rest of the game is just repetitive filler until the final chapter.

I'd call myself one of the biggest Takahashi/Xeno-fans here, Xenogears is my favorite rpg of all time, I worked on the Xenosaga ep1 fan translation project with duckroll, I thought Xenoblade was fantastic. I had a Japanese cell phone for his Pied Piper spinoff which was ok for an old-ass cellphone game back in the day. I even loved Soma Bringer on DS for the writing even if the gameplay was mediocre. I'd never been disappointed by a Takahashi game in my life until XBX, XBX was just...not good. It's not terrible, but it's a very average 7/10 filler game and that's horribly disappointing coming from him and his team.

Man :(

let's hope Persona 5 comes on December then.

What in the fuck? You have to be joking.

I don't know, I kind of understand where he's coming from. In terms of game design, Far Cry 3 and 4 are true open world experiences and have just as many if not more possible approaches to handle any mission that isn't linear in the story. The ways to approach each outpost are similar to the bases in MGSV and I feel like its done better in Far Cry 4 myself.

Best wishes.

Takuan

The Evisceration of Xenoblade Chronicles X
Thanks for these impressions, it doesn't sound like something I care to see through, so I'm definitely selling the game day 1 (pre-ordered quite cheap so can make a little bit of profit). Sucks for the people really looking forward to it.

P5 looks like it'll live up to expectations, so I have that to look forward to.

I don't know. Its Still gonna have that AC feel to it, which just isn't fresh anymore.
Also despite the bugs, Unity is the best looking game of the generation. Better than MGSV and W3, unfortunately Syndicate won't even have that going for it as they really seem to have scaled back the graphics to make sure the thing runs smooth.

Starfield

9_Tvcu.gif

I disagree. After it is all said and done Witcher 3 will still be the best open world game this year (with JC 3 coming in at a close second from what I can see).

edit: fail quote

Comparing a game that hasnt released yet to a game that is already out for a couple of months.

Okay!

Exentryk

Not following Xenoblade X that closely nowadays, but I read that it is weak in the story department? Add on to this a custom made silent protagonist (and probably loads of mindless fetch quests and collectathons), and I don't really have many reasons to be hyped about this game.

I most likely will end up buying it regardless, however, I don't see it matching the heights of Witcher 3 and MGS 5.

EDIT - And reading Bebpo's post just solidifies my thoughts.

rhandino

Banned
I didn't include Fallout 4 because well...it looks like the last Fallout. Nothing new, just upgraded for next gen.
Bye OP, Fallout 4 seems to be divine and it's one of my most anticipated games this year.

That moment when you get to explore what remains of Boston in Fallout 4

ImrR6FF.gif

And the moment when you put the fly upgrade on your Skell in Xenoblade X.

t4jCGHq.gif

This year is going to be the end of me.

Justinh

This will be a fun, family friendly thread.

...that Fallout 4 comment.

Yeah, I'm super stoked for Fallout 4. I'm really into getting the Witcher 3 expansion too. I loved the Witcher 3 and I have little doubt that it'll be my favorite game this year.

I have the XbX limited edition preordered and I guess it's a good thing I've got a few months. I'm gonna need them to try and play through Xenoblade again and I guess get into it.

I've tried playing it on wii, Dolphin, and I'm gonna try again on 3DS, but I had a hard time getting the motivation to play past the first few hours each time. I feel like I need to break through some boring part or something to see why people love this game so much.

If you are just following the arrows waiting to be shown the next cutscene...

This probably isnt your kind of game. And the next one definitely isnt.

Hmm, I'm the kind of guy that purposely avoids the arrows so I can see "what's going on over here" kinda thing.

cackhyena

I don't know, I kind of understand where he's coming from. In terms of game design, Far Cry 3 and 4 are true open world experiences and have just as many if not more possible approaches to handle any mission that isn't linear in the story. The ways to approach each outpost are similar to the bases in MGSV and I feel like its done better in Far Cry 4 myself.

Best wishes.

I don't feel there's as many options overall. Far cry does have a lot, though, and I commend it for that. But saying it's stealth beats this out? To me, no way.

Overside

Banned
...that Fallout 4 comment.

Yeah, I'm super stoked for Fallout 4. I'm really into getting the Witcher 3 expansion too. I loved the Witcher 3 and I have little doubt that it'll be my favorite game this year.

I have the XbX limited edition preordered and I guess it's a good thing I've got a few months. I'm gonna need them to try and play through Xenoblade again and I guess get into it.

I've tried playing it on wii, Dolphin, and I'm gonna try again on 3DS, but I had a hard time getting the motivation to play past the first few hours each time. I feel like I need to break through some boring part or something to see why people love this game so much.

From the very second you get control of your character you have the opportunity to see what people love so much about the game. If you are just following the arrows waiting to be shown the next cutscene...

This probably isnt your kind of game. And the next one definitely isnt.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't know. Its Still gonna have that AC feel to it, which just isn't fresh anymore.
Also despite the bugs, Unity is the best looking game of the generation. Better than MGSV and W3, unfortunately Syndicate won't even have that going for it as they really seem to have scaled back the graphics to make sure the thing runs smooth.

It was a joke...

Top Bottom