• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 is out, MGSV is out. Xenoblade Chronicles X is next.

Overside

Banned
Eh, if Fallout 4 is like 3, then its gonna be amazing.

Also, no, Xenoblade X opinions so far have been great from reciews I seen. Also, I may be wrong, but between Xeno X and Witcher 3 and MGSV, isnt only Xeno X open world while the rwo others are hub based ?

Open world is a pretty broad category, if you are looking at the six point sliding scale of linearity vs openess, open world would start around 3, where there are no longer any levels, but a single large persistant map. This would include games as old (and even older) like the original Zelda and metroid.

Past this point it is less about the size and openess of the world, and more about the progression design determining how the player proceeds through the world. in 3 and 4's, the director has a clear path for the player to discover, the player is meant to take this path every time. Metroidvanias acheive this via a system of powerups and locks; soft locks (a ledge that is too far to reach without a powerup to jump higher, this can be overcome via other, unforseen by the director, methods, like highly skilled wall jumping) and hard locks (these are basically a disguised lock and key, an obstacle that can not be overcome without the powerup, like super missile doors). This allows sequence breaking where the player can get powerups before they are 'supposed' to.

The original Xenoblade accomplishes this via having the 'path' be story progression, and the rest of the world 'gated' by hand placed enemies of various levels, guiding most players to remember, and come back and explore later to get the great equipment that was inaccessible before (Xenoblade also has certain keys the player can optionally aquire granting access to chest laden areas). The player can break this sequence by sneaking past enemies, or learning to effectively fight high above their level, thus gaining high level equipment before they are 'supposed' too.

Level 5 and 6's arent necessarily larger worlds, or even seamless, they just have no directors intent on a 'path' the player should discover, the player can go anywhere and make progress. This is usually facilitated via level scaling.

Xenoblade X's talking point you are referring to, was that it was a seamless world, not broken up by loading screens for loading the next area. Impressive, neat, cool for immersion, but not really a first.

I really want xenoblade x to be good but last impressions were that the actual combat was dull mmo style. Has anything changed?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Op why.
We didnt need to know your opinion on fallout 4, just the games you mentioned in your OP.

Now you fucked up your own damn thread.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just for the record xenoblade X didnt get negative reviews, or even mixed reviews, it got alot of positive reviews, lowest being in the 80s on up, impressions are overall positive aswell, with some people getting disappointed, but people always get disappointed.

Overside

Banned
Just for the record xenoblade X didnt get negative reviews, or even mixed reviews, it got alot of positive reviews, lowest being in the 80s on up, impressions are overall positive aswell, with some people getting disappointed, but people always get disappointed.
Dont try to introduce reality to self fulfilling prophecies, it has no place.

Bedlam

No more open world games for me this year. I'm burned out after TW3, which was very good but also had a lot of flaws. Not quite the amazing game that it is often made out to be, in my opinion.

jorgejjvr

Glad to know how it REALLY is

tbd

Definitely one of the if not the most interesting open world so far. Towns, deserts, forests, volanic areas, shores, alien stuff and more different biotopes without any loading screens is pretty impressive and I've never seen something like this before, let alone on consoles. You can dive, fly, explore floating islands.

Gematome_04-25-15_Xenoblade-X.jpg

You're absolutely right, nothing will top the disgusting character faces of xenoblade chronicles x.

Not sure what's "disgusting" about this. Maybe you're taking video games a little too seriously or you don't know it's not trying to look realistic. I'm sure she isn't even supposed to look beautiful.

TI82

Banned
Looks like Xenoblade X is the only open world game I won't be playing this year since I will never buy a WiiU.

And I'll probably wouldn't miss anything from what I've seen so far.

Just wait until NX is out. Wii U has a handful of acceptable games, nothing amazing but yeah worth checking out if you ever get a dry spell and its less than $200 for the system.

Not sure what's "disgusting" about this. Maybe you're taking video games a little too seriously or you don't know it's not trying to look realistic. I'm sure she isn't even supposed to look perfectly beautiful.

Low quality, lifeless, barely better than the previous game which was an overhyped gamecube...

Eastern developers are really bad at open world level design, I like Metal Gear, but the open world aspect is nothing to write home about, it's empty and just a chore to traverse. The gameplay mechanics are where that game shines. Xenoblade looks to be the same in the open world territory empty with little to do. Bethesda games always have dense environments with plenty of interesting places to explore. Fallout 4 may look like 3 or the Elder Scrolls games, but that's nothing to be dismissive about.

DJIzana

Eastern developers are really bad at open world level design, I like Metal Gear, but the open world aspect is nothing to write home about, it's empty and just a chore to traverse. The gameplay mechanics are where that game shines. Xenoblade looks to be the same in the open world territory empty with little to do. Bethesda games always have dense environments with plenty of interesting places to explore. Fallout 4 may look like 3 or the Elder Scrolls games, but that's nothing to be dismissive about.

Excuse me?

Speak for yourself. I rather play a bright and lush game with unrealistic environments than dull and boring places to visit. I'm sorry but Fallout 4, The Witcher, Dragon Age... WRPG's have NEVER interested me because of this.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Excuse me?

Speak for yourself. I rather play a bright and lush game with unrealistic environments than dull and boring places to visit. I'm sorry but Fallout 4, The Witcher, Dragon Age... WRPG's have NEVER interested me because of this.

The Witcher 3 and DAI not bright and lust? Have you even ran around in those games?

hwy_61

Banned
Excuse me?

I found several of the environments in Witcher bright and lush.

Arion

XC had an amazing setting and a great cast. I played around 50 hours simply because of that. However the monotony of the combat and awful side quest just wore me down to the point where I had no desire to finish it. From what I have seen and heard about XCX those issues haven't changed. I'm not gonna completely write the game off yet but I have not anticipation for it. I was way more excited for W3, MGSV and now Just Cause 3.

Excuse me?

You're maybe right about Fallout 4 but both Witcher 3 and Dragon Age have very colorful and fantastical environments.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Frankly, I hope Xenoblade isn't quite the massive disappointment MGS V was. Open world makes sense in the context of an RPG, but is mind-numblingly repetitive in a stealth action game. And it's not like the monotony is sectioned off nito optional side-quests -- that's the game.

Ugh.

Xenoblade X looks dull and boring as all hell and many impressions of the game have corroborated that. "great gameplay" is not something that comes to mind when I think of Xenoblade

Lol at not including Fallout 4. Come on OP. Fallout 4 looks 10 times more enjoyable than X.

the only game above where exploration is fun, and you want to explore because it looks interesting and not because of an objective or a quest, is Xeno X for me. The Traversal of the world was never boring.
MGSV is a fun game too with its varied gameplay, but the traversal in between the objectives was boring for me, but the open world does a good job in the bases, enemy territory etc.
Witcher 3 was the most boring for me, the traversal didnt feel great (on foot horse etc.), the towns where the most interesting aspects for me, the field was nothing that i felt must be explored outside of quests.

Xeno X improved the quests, they are far more interesting than the ones from Xeno Wii, and they are essential for the main plot and character development! And i didn't even mentioned the dolls, it's one of those special moments in games that you experience only a few times!

I found several of the environments in Witcher bright and lush.

No you didn't, your wrong, why are you lying, how dare you, stop. It was not bright and lush. Just stop it already. Okay...maybe at the very least it was bright...however in was definitely not lush! No sirree!

DJIzana

XC had an amazing setting and a great cast. I played around 50 hours simply because of that. However the monotony of the combat and awful side quest just wore me down to the point where I had no desire to finish it. From what I have seen and heard about XCX those issues haven't changed. I'm not gonna completely write the game off yet but I have not anticipation for it. I was way more excited for W3, MGSV and now Just Cause 3.

You're maybe right about Fallout 4 but both Witcher 3 and Dragon Age have very colorful and fantastical environments.

Alright. I was probably a little brash with that statement. I have seen some areas in the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age that are bright but they do also have other areas that don't interest me. Eastern game worlds, I honestly can't recall an open world game that has turned me away because of the art style with the environments created.

Honestly, the only WRPG that has me interested (and GREATLY so, I should add), is Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I should add that I have tried to play multiple games like DAI and The Witcher. (I currently have my friends copy of DAI and I own Witcher 2 on Steam) but no matter how hard I try, I just can't get into them. Not my type of games and honestly, it all falls around a mix of their world design and gameplay.

FZZ

Banned
Lol I'm sorry but Xenoblade is gonna be mediocre at best

Impressions haven't been well amazing at all from the regions it's launched at. It is nowhere near MSGV or Witcher 3, let alone Fallout 4.

Lmfao

Bebpo

Banned
Xenoblade X very much has a story.

It has less story than MGSV. I'd say a lot less actually.

About 25% of the Xenoblade fans and general gamers who play XBX will be pleased imo with about 75% of Xenoblade fans and general gamers being horribly disappointed.

Nope. At least the first had a story. If reports are to be believed I won't touch this one.

it begins lol

Xeno X has a story, and with the sidequests it has an even larger story than Xenoblade Wii.

i dont know where that myth comes from that X dont have a story...

MDSLKTR

Bethesda are on a league of their own when it comes to open world design since forever + they stay away from the check list progression like Rockstar = still scratching my head at OP's post

Excuse me?

I'm not talking about visuals, they are usually empty with nothing to do. Dragons Dogma is the same thing and it has a western look.

It has less story than MGSV. I'd say a lot less actually.

About 25% of the Xenoblade fans and general gamers who play XBX will be pleased imo with about 75% of Xenoblade fans and general gamers being horribly disappointed.

And the Xenosaga fans will be pleased.

It was clear from the beginning, that it has nothing in common with Xenoblade except the gameplay.

Xenoblade was an open world game before...

Ehhhhh.....

As someone who's played it multiple times, Xenoblade's world is in essence a very wide corridor that you can fast-travel between different points on it. You will always have to enter X area through Y entrances, in Z order. The route to Agniratha from Colony 9 will always be the same, there's no alternate route you could take in place of the route that the plot takes you through.

Top Bottom