• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Patch 1.04 is out on pc

Sijil

The team is working on it.

giphy.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Do you personally think it's worth it? High or Ultra?

In my opinion the -1 bias on Ultra looks good because Wild Hunt uses a lot of fine foliage and I like the clarity. But I'm also deeply conditioned to putting up with aliasing and texture shimmering when I know a lot of people aren't. Your mileage may vary. To be fair also, playing at super high resolutions like 4K would in theory benefit more from a negative mipmap bias as the aliasing would be less obvious due to the framebuffer resolution frequently exceeding the normal mipmaps. But I'm a 1080p scrub.

To illustrate my point of a reduced mipmap bias loading in higher quality textures over distance, here's how the game looks with the mipmap bias set to -5.

w1yyl27.png

Gbraga

The team is working on it.

Can you give us some info on what is it that the driver does for Kepler cards? I wouldn't ask for performance numbers, of course, just in general terms what was the issue.

In my opinion the -1 bias on Ultra looks good because Wild Hunt uses a lot of fine foliage and I like the clarity. But I'm also deeply conditioned to putting up with aliasing and texture shimmering when I know a lot of people aren't. Your mileage may vary. To be fair also, playing at super high resolutions like 4K would in theory benefit more from a negative mipmap bias as the aliasing would be less obvious due to the framebuffer resolution frequently exceeding the normal mipmaps. But I'm a 1080p scrub.

To illustrate my point of a reduced mipmap bias loading in higher quality textures over distance, here's how the game looks with the mipmap bias set to -5.

w1yyl27.png

Very interesting, the foliage indeed benefits a lot from it, I think I can deal with aliasing for this kind of foliage.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I think it's in The Witcher 3\bin\config\base\rendering.ini

Edit: interesting mine is at 0 after the patch.

You probably need to delete your config files and start fresh. Personally, I would not edit rendering.ini as it is the master file.

w1yyl27.png

Great for screenshots, horrendous in action :)

Game still crashes like crazy. How many patches are they going to go until this is fixed?

PC version? I've only had 1 crash in 14 hours.

You probably need to delete your config files and start fresh. Personally, I would not edit rendering.ini as it is the master file.

I'm not gonna edit anything. I've got it set to get a very consistent 58-60FPS on my 970+5820K right now and I don't want to mess that up.

Arkanius

The difference in sharpness in 1.04 is downright delicious. Just loaded the game with 1.04 during the bog quests.

It feels like someone removed vaseline from my monitor

GavinUK86

Performance seems similar on a 970. A lot more pop in though. I guess I should call it fade in. I'm guessing that's because of the changes to textures?

Zoon

New patch, new bugs.
Had to replay a quest 3 times since an enemy kept teleporting to a place where I couldn't reach him.Also camera zooms in at random times and disables E key.Reload crashes the game.

Vashetti

Banned
I've still yet to receive 1.02 on ps4 :(

If you haven't got it then you don't need it, it was purely for some EU areas for DLC compatibility.

Next patch was sent for certification last Wednesday, it was said it would take 5-7 days so it should be out in a day or two.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Performance seems similar on a 970. A lot more pop in though. I guess I should call it fade in. I'm guessing that's because of the changes to textures?

I have seen other people mention that, saying they have NPC characters and objects spawn really late, i still haven't updated myself.

dragn

The merchant in White Orchard right next to the fast travel point has them.

hm he doesnt have any for me, you mean the one with the dlc armor right? maybe they added the cards from the inn keeper that isnt there later in the game, but i bought them already

AndyBNV

Nvidia
If you've tweaked your config files in v1.03 and are now crashing I recommend deleting user.settings and user.settings.bak and beginning anew. v1.04 introduces a new variable and updates associated files, too.

erawsd

hm he doesnt have any for me, you mean the one with the dlc armor right? maybe they added the cards from the inn keeper that isnt there later in the game, but i bought them already

I believe that is the case. If you bought them from the innkeeper he wont have any for you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Exactly. In motion, huge negative bias is bad. But for screens...

w1duufg.png

If you've tweaked your config files in v1.03 and are now crashing I recommend deleting user.settings and user.settings.bak and beginning anew. v1.04 introduces a new variable and updates associated files, too.

This makes me wonder if I've fucked something up somewhere pre-1.03 patch, which was supposed to eliminate foliage flickering/pop-in with increased grass density but did no such thing for me. Deleting my configs hasn't fixed it, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

Skyzard

Banned

I deleted that rendering.ini file and it didn't create a new one after launching the game.

I dunno. I like it set to 0 and textures on high too...maybe it's placebo but vegetation looks better to me overall still.

GHG

w1duufg.png

This makes me wonder if I've fucked something up somewhere pre-1.03 patch, which was supposed to eliminate foliage flickering/pop-in with increased grass density but did no such thing for me. Deleting my configs hasn't fixed it, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

Your screens look fantastic.

Are you using a sweetfx config at all?

Denton

w1duufg.png

God dammit. That looks damn awesome. VGX trailer here we go.

BTW where do I get that armor. I want it.

Daingurse

I deleted that rendering.ini file and it didn't create a new one after launching the game.

I dunno. I like it set to 0 and textures on high too...maybe it's placebo but vegetation looks better to me overall still.

Verify the game game integrity, and it'll put them back.

TextureMipBias=-1.0 in user.settings, like other tweakable options. Switch to 0 to go back to pre-patch IQ.

I'm working on a guide update now that will show the positives and negatives of the setting, and the perf cost for each level.

Should be interesting, I look forward to it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is there any timeline on when these updates will start rolling out for consoles?

I'm still on 1.01 here.

Mipmaps are sequential reduced resolution copies of textures loaded into the memory at specific distances, primarily to conserve processing power (easier to render lower resolution over higher resolution) while also (in combination with whatever your framebuffer rendering resolution is) cleaning up aliasing and texture shimmering that would result from trying to render a complex pattern/texture far away that conflicts with the pixel resolution of the image.

From memory a negative mip-map bias reduces the increases at which mipmaps are loaded in, effectively keeping higher quality textures loaded in for longer distances. Which sounds good in practice, but can also come at both a performance cost and an image quality cost. Mipmaps might be "lower resolution" but that's the point, because they're rendered at distances when higher quality images aren't necessary and instead would look more aliased/shimmery as they fight with the pixel budget.

The difference is obvious on foliage in Wild Hunt as finer textures benefit from a negative mipmap bias, if again at the cost of shimmering and texture aliasing.

very elaborate and informative, thank you sir.

RK9039

After this patch (or maybe before, but I hadn't seen it happen before), whenever Geralt goes to chop off someone's head cinematically, he goes all Sammy Sosa on their asses, sending their bodies flying a good fifty feet. It's downright hysterical.

Yeah that's been there since launch, I love it. They shouldn't fix that, it's awesome to see the bodies fall from the sky after the slow-motion decapitation finishes.

EatChildren

Oh dear. Since this patch I'm getting graphic glitching on explosions which I never had before. Thanks for that CD Project Red, thanks.
Actually it's just from blowing up nests. Nasty black shapes appear instead of smoke etc.
No changes to any .ini file or anything except the controller/KBM has changed pop up bollocks. And only since 1.04.
It's like a missing texture or something. What can I do to isolate the cause or will it need to be fixed? Will verify the game files via GOG Galaxy.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I also get fade in, even when it's just changing camera views during cutscenes.

Zakalwe

Banned
i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
GTX 970
8GB RAM

Config tweaks to increase draw distance of grass and shadows. averaging 30 - 50 depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

Ha, that's my exact system (even same OC on CPU). Really impressed with this gpu, and the 2500k might just be the best piece of PC tech I've ever invested in.

Good to know, will try out the tweaks. Thanks.

I think the load issues are mostly isolated to consoles (heard some people can take up to 90 seconds).

It's okay for me on PC though, the game's on my 10k RPM drive and not on my SSD and it loads fast enough. In prologue area it was like 3-5 seconds. After that it's about 10s.

Prob the load times on ps4 with stock hd makes bloodbourne on launch seam short.

Skyzard

Banned
I had dropped my controller right stick sensitivity before the patch to 0.5 to test something out with the panning.

Now it's locked to 0. Can't bring it back up. The minimum is 0.5 even.

Haven't come across the setting in any file yet.

---oh wait it's in the user.settings file in my documents/witcher 3
It was 0.5 in the file anyway.

Top Bottom