• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Jolkien

So I never noticed before patch 1.04 how much ram does the game supposed to use ?

Mine keep creeping up and when it takakes about 12-12.5gb my game start to stutter, sound too sometimes and it even freeze (just the game).

I never checked how much ram game use nowadays, anything I can do to fix this ?

Truant

Kamina

Golden Boy
Hairworks need a beard only option. Geralt's full grown beard looks amazing with it.
Yeah, They need to add an Animal/Monster only version too.
I don't really want Geralt's hair with hairworks, only the beard and everything else in the game.

viveks86

To all those using my sweetfx preset (or any sweetfx preset that has sharpening), I'd recommend setting TextureMipBias to 0 in your ini file with 1.04. It improves your performance and avoids oversharpening, since sweetfx does it quite a bit already.

ValfarHL

After resetting my MSI 970 4G to default stock I haven't had a single crash. Played a few hours on 1.04 without issues too. With the clocks active I had a load of crashes. Usually just a black screen whole Audio still playing. Not a single driver crash, though.

any idea on how to get rid of stuttering? Even at 30 or 60 fps im still getting stuttering.

This works for me. YMMV.

Video Settings
Vsync: Off
Maximum Frames Per Second: Unlimited
Display Mode: Borderless Window

Riva Tuner Statistics Server Settings
Framerate Limit: 30fps

If you have an Nvidia card, turn on vsync. This eliminated stuttering for me. Judder/strobing is still present. Know the difference.

M.D

Any G1 970 owners or 970 owners in general that have looked at their GPU temp? I'm getting up to 72 sometimes

Qassim

Anybody playing on PC in 1080p almost everything at ultra, can you check how much RAM the game is using ?

Running the game in 1080p, everything on Ultra (foliage distance on High), game is usually using 3-3.2GB on my system. One of the more memory hungry games I've played, but I have 16GB of memory so it doesn't bother me.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for updating the guide, for me I don't actually get any changes (compared screenshots after restarting and loading up the same save file). Not noticing any changes from -5 to 0 on the mipmap.

0 being what it was set to when I updated anyway.

It does feel better than preupdate though :S

l2pdIBn.jpg

(this is 1440p, not downsampled).

Jolkien

Running the game in 1080p, everything on Ultra (foliage distance on High), game is usually using 3-3.2GB on my system. One of the more memory hungry games I've played, but I have 16GB of memory so it doesn't bother me.

Well since patch 1.04 the usage creeps up to high 12 GB when it reach 13 GB it's unplayable. Anybody has any tips on how to fix this ? Doesn't seem like a widespread issue.

M.D

Well since patch 1.04 the usage creeps up to high 12 GB when it reach 13 GB it's unplayable. Anybody has any tips on how to fix this ? Doesn't seem like a widespread issue.

That sounds like a memory leak.. not sure how to fix that tho ;s
I had some memory problems when I built my PC and it was pretty complicated to even find the source of the issue

Jolkien

For some reason rebooting didn't resolved the issue. A complete shut down and power on fixed it.... I tested with other game on my system and it was fine. Now it appears to be fixed.. *knock on wood*

Guide is updated with Mipmap Bias details, info on reverting the change and tweaking the value, and a look at the performance cost: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...-tweaking-guide#mipmap-bias-config-file-tweak

Like I say though, impossible to demonstrate the shimmering in screenshots and compressed vid. Tolerance for that will decide your bias level rather than the improvement in texture fidelity ;)

Terrific. I have not really noted that huge of a difference with it on -1.0 in terms of performance (seems rather similar). I think I shall keep it as is then and not tweak it back to 0.

MaLDo

I did color corrected version of one of Andy's guide screenshot

color.gif

The orange tint is too strong in vanilla game.

The stone floor texture in that screenshot has the same problem than gravel texture in Watch Dogs. They used the black/white filtered version of the diffuse map as blending mask but those stones are worn in the center so that mask is not correct and the result is ugly as sin.

Blitzhex

Guess I'd best avoid this patch for now then. I've heard little more than complaints and setting said setting to 0 doesn't seem to be a proper solution.

Setting it to 0 works perfectly. Textures showing as low in game settings just means that you've fiddled with texture settings in the ini and the ingame setting is overridden.

Skyzard

Banned
Setting it to 0 works perfectly. Textures showing as low in game settings just means that you've fiddled with texture settings in the ini and the ingame setting is overridden.

It showed as low for me when I launched the patch...going to try deleting all the ini and config files.

Nah, same issue. Even after deleting the whole config folder. Mipmap at 0 after verifying/launching the game.

PnCIa

Is there a way to restore the mipmap stuff as it was in 1.03?

Edit: found it and tested it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165134643&postcount=168

So.Much.Better.

Edit 2: no way, the game just load with Low textures and if you try to crank them up it applies that shit again, even if your .ini is read only. Meh
Actually the thing is that it does not really reset to the "low" preset, even though it shows that in the menu. A lot of games show the lowest option setting when you modify a setting to a value that is not covered in the sets for a specific detail level. You are esentially deviating from a preset that defines the values for ultra, but in your config all values may be unchanged except for one, yet the game shows you "low" instead of something like "custom".
When you set the config file to read only, the game will take exactly whats written in there.
The correct way to make changes in the config is to set your desired detail level in the game (for example -> ultra), then the game writes the values for ultra into the config. Since the game also set the mipbias to -1, you can go into the config and only change this value to 0, then set the file to read only. The game will show you the low detail texture setting in the menu, but only because it does not have a preset that your modified config values fit into. :)

Truant

I've never touched any of the .ini files, and every patch has reset my texture quality to low.

Seanspeed

Banned
Man. Spent more time playing it at locked 30fps today(with resolution at 1871p or something) and just cant do it. I was really hoping if I just gave it more time I might adjust, but it wasn't happening. The graphical difference is colossal and it just isn't worth it for me.

Still highly impressed it's even an option, though. After all the fuss, the GTX970 is still such a great card for the money.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I can't do 30...but I can do 37 :p (if you were referring to not stomaching the fps).

Mines set to ultra but the texture thing is still set to zero in the. Ini file. I don't get it

I get the same thing. Meh :S

Do you notice the shimmering differences between the texture settings? Like a lot of shimmering on armour at ultra...I do...it's obvious. Not sure what's going on but I feel like it's working behind the scenes anyway...

Well, this is frustrating.

Before the game would only stutter/hitch for the first thirty seconds or so and then once everything loaded in the game was perfectly smooth 99% of the time. Was it the new patch? I mean I was playing for like four hours last night and everything was fine.

Now I can't even play it FFS, changing settings does nothing.

Tested my hardware and everything is fine.

GTX 980
4gb system ram
Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
windows 7 64 bit
I have the drivers before the current set, mostly because I heard some horror stories about the Witcher 3 gameready drivers.

EDIT: Ultra settings, hairworks off since it really wasn't adding much to the experience. AA off and Sharpening off in PP settings. 1080P resolution.

Blitzhex

I've never touched any of the .ini files, and every patch has reset my texture quality to low.

They've added/changed AF in both the patches and now added mipmap so I'm guessing its because of that, as in cdpr messed with the .ini themselves, altering textures. That's just my guess as to why it's happening every patch though, normally if you change texture options in the .ini yourself the ingame option shows low and is overriden.

^ I can't do 30...but I can do 37 :p

I get the same thing. Meh :S

Do you notice the shimmering differences between the texture settings? Like a lot of shimmering on armour at ultra...I do...it's obvious. Not sure what's going on but I feel like it's working behind the scenes anyway...

Make sure your texture budget is still set to 800 in the ini, which is the ultra texture setting when you alter your mipmap setting.

Cerity

I feel like I'm getting quite a lot more drops with the new patch. Before I was getting a rock solid 30fps, now it drops to 20-25 and shoots back up again.

Guess I'll have to play at native res for awhile :(

Skyzard

Banned
^ Is this in rain?

I have a suspicion they increased the rain a tad...

Make sure your texture budget is still set to 800 in the ini, which is the ultra texture setting when you alter your mipmap setting.

Thanks anyway but I still didn't see the differences from -5 to -1 or 0. I'll leave it at 800 and -1 anyway though.

I don't know what's going on with it anymore - I'm not even getting shimmering...maybe I bust it. Going to try and forget it.

=--=-=-==--==-=-=-=-

Also, I don't know if this is placebo but I feel like sometimes you can skip that intro dialogue screen faster... like it's actually done loading but it just keeps on with the narration and doesn't let you know if you can skip it. I've been spamming x and I swear I'm not taking as long as I used to to load sometimes. Not 100% but worth tapping x :p

I do. I get weird graphic glitches all over the sky when nest or Rotfiend explodes, something that never happens before. Are you on SLI or single card?
Single 980. And it was a Rotfiend nest too but not when it explodes. That said I may have seen glitching near-by even before I started fighting them/destroyed nest. Hmm. At work now so i can't see if other nests are affected.

Blitzhex

So, I reverted back to the old gta5 drivers (clean install DDU) because of the shitty chrome crashes and now I'm getting the stutter everyone's been talking about in both b/l windowed and fullscreen mode. I've yet to try max frames pre-rendered 1 with this driver though.

Thanks, just wanted to hear from more people what their temps are like

Are you playing on 1080p?
Yep 1080p.

M.D

So, I reverted back to the old gta5 drivers (clean install DDU) because of the shitty chrome crashes and now I'm getting the stutter everyone's been talking about in both b/l windowed and fullscreen mode. I've yet to try max frames pre-rendered 1 with this driver though.

Yep 1080p.

I'm currently playing on 1680&1050 and considering buying a new monitor, hope that won't means decrease in frame rate/higher temp

Chesskid1

Banned
pretty cool crash because of GPU usage being at 99% on afterburner or whatever.

would crash on the same scene everytime. been playing OC'ed the entire time and i'm like 20 hours in. very stable.

turned off GPU OC, would still crash. it was the GPU driver crashed message.

moved it down to 1024x768, gpu usage dropped to like 75%, played through the scene. back to OC and full resolution and working fine.

There is something I want to change in my graphics. When I play I can sometimes see (usually when on Roach and galloping) the grass detail change just a few feet ahead of me. It's like there is a line ahead of me where the detail is being changed. How can I alter this? I'm at Ultra on everything barring Shadows at Normal and Foilage Distance at High. The game's been running fine (with the exception of a patch 1.04 added glitching on Nest explosions).

Truant

Game is crashing like crazy after 1.04 :(

970 here.

Managed to fix this. The culprit was the game setting itself back to "Borderless window". I changed it to regular fullscreen at it's running smoothly again. Seems the game now auto-defaults to borderless, but I haven't gotten a chance to properly confirm this. Still, be sure to double check.

Gothos

Well, this is frustrating.

Before the game would only stutter/hitch for the first thirty seconds or so and then once everything loaded in the game was perfectly smooth 99% of the time. Was it the new patch? I mean I was playing for like four hours last night and everything was fine.

Now I can't even play it FFS, changing settings does nothing.

Tested my hardware and everything is fine.

GTX 980
4gb system ram
Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
windows 7 64 bit

I don't believe you've got 4GB of RAM, but if you do, that's your problem, probably :)

teokrazia

Actually the thing is that it does not really reset to the "low" preset, even though it shows that in the menu. A lot of games show the lowest option setting when you modify a setting to a value that is not covered in the sets for a specific detail level. You are esentially deviating from a preset that defines the values for ultra, but in your config all values may be unchanged except for one, yet the game shows you "low" instead of something like "custom".
When you set the config file to read only, the game will take exactly whats written in there.
The correct way to make changes in the config is to set your desired detail level in the game (for example -> ultra), then the game writes the values for ultra into the config. Since the game also set the mipbias to -1, you can go into the config and only change this value to 0, then set the file to read only. The game will show you the low detail texture setting in the menu, but only because it does not have a preset that your modified config values fit into. :)

Thank you to make me think about it, pal.
The read only thing was indeed too weird to be true, but I was testing so in anger that I stupidly jumped to conclusions.

Made some new tests, without hurry, and yes it works!

Low
http://abload.de/img/a1zqkzu.png

http://abload.de/img/a2nxy9s.png

TextureMipBias=0
http://abload.de/img/a3kdkm1.png

[and just to be 900% sure :p]

Low
http://abload.de/img/d15ikzq.png

TextureMipBias=0
http://abload.de/img/d23qr2v.png

Now I'm an happy witcher again!

PnCIa

Thank you to make me think about it, pal.
The read only thing was indeed too weird to be true, but I was testing so in anger that I stupidly jumped to conclusions.

Made some new tests, without hurry, and yes it works!

Low
http://abload.de/img/a1zqkzu.png

http://abload.de/img/a2nxy9s.png

TextureMipBias=0
http://abload.de/img/a3kdkm1.png

[and just to be 900% sure :p]

Low
http://abload.de/img/d15ikzq.png

TextureMipBias=0
http://abload.de/img/d23qr2v.png

Now I'm an happy witcher again!
Glad to hear that! Devs should just show a "custom" option imo, some games already did that but most are just confusing when edit files.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Played around for 40 minutes. Quit the game, then I was hit by a BSOD: Kmode_Exception_Not_Handled

But I read that's a common one with LAN devices and I had a crappy little TP-Link wireless dongle plugged in so it may have just been a weird coinkydink D:

Other than that it ran great on my rig

FX6300 Stock clock
R9 280x 3gB
4gB Ram (Soon to be 12)
Crappy dumb HDD didn't seem to bottleneck much at all save loadtimes
Never dipped below 35 frames per second with HBAO+ on Ultra textures, rest on high. Chromatic Abberation and Sharpening turned off to save my eyes.

EDit: Jesus. NTOSKRNL crashed the same day my GPU died D:. Granted WhoCrashed says the November Crash of '14 might have been heat related. It's now saying it's most likely a software thing. Ugh. I'm scared.

Edit #2: It's my MOUSE. Mouse driver crashed at the exact same time as the BSOD happened. I'm getting that fucker replaced.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Any G1 970 owners or 970 owners in general that have looked at their GPU temp? I'm getting up to 72 sometimes

MSI 4G 970 @ +140/+500 71c max after playing literally all day.

Leb

So, re: imported saves vs simulated saves, do we know yet if, in the import case, there are more flags being checked than the 5 questions asked during the simulation dialogue?

I mean, other than the Blue Stripes tattoo, obviously.

Guys I tried to delete all of the Reshade and SweetFX settings off this game, but its still giving me the message in the top left of the screen that its trying to load it and failed. Incredibly annoying

How do I get rid of this message?

Top Bottom