• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Has anyone figured out how to enable free cam or if its possible?

If you use my cheat engine table sure. Examples:

17838609070_3a74a34328_o.jpg

17451830243_8520ee3b44_o.jpg

17886130889_d128ea2cb7_o.jpg

17823773106_5e9f9ab92a_o.jpg

It's a basic photo mode. Can freeze game, change camera position\field of view, and time of day.

I don't believe you've got 4GB of RAM, but if you do, that's your problem, probably :)

Yeah when I built my system, most people said you'd only need 4gb of system ram and whatever the video card has, the idea being that most of the game would be loaded into VRAM and some onto the SRAM.

After restarting the game's application everything seems to be in working order and performance is stable once again(~60fps and mostly smooth most of the time with a couple hitches here and there). Weird.

As soon as I have the funds(which is probably never) I will be purchasing some extra system ram.

Kalm

1.04 trashed IQ for me. :'(

Shimmering textures everywhere even after reverting back to v1.03 MipBias. I'd been using the in-game AA and a 1440p->1080p downsample since launch -- flawless IQ -- and it's completely f*cked now.

Going over a wooden bridge looks soooooo bad.

Is there possibly another new .ini setting tied to TextureMipBias because even after setting it back to 0 it has to be worse than v1.03. There's absolutely no way that I've played 40+ hours with this shimmering garbage and only noticed it this morning. The very first thing I did in-game was eliminate temporal aliasing because I'm unusually sensitive to it. CDPR's AA solution was so surprisingly effective that I could live with the relatively high performance cost; now, not so much.

I'm also suddenly getting ridiculous texture, lighting, and shadow pop-in with everything on Ultra save Foilage Distance (High). Basically, it looks like grass is sprouting up around Geralt as he runs around, torches are lit as I approach and shadows don't fully appear until I'm ten feet away. Before the patch, the only pop-in I had noticed were tree shadows way off in the distance.

WTF is going on?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, after selling HD 7950 and upgrading to R9 280X OC (GA-R928XO3) the game runs faster and smoother now without HairWorks. Now I have 50-55 FPS average and minimum 38-40 FPS (it was my average FPS on HD 7950). The game is really demanding to GPU and I perfectly see why. Can't wait to test the game on the final version of Windows 10.

If you use my cheat engine table sure. It's a basic photo mode. Can freeze game, change camera position\field of view, and time of day.
Thank you a thousand times \o/

Kalm

After updating the game to v1.04 I'm getting these weird things here and there:

muxleh.jpg

CDPR definitely broke something within the game with this patch.

Qassim

Yeah when I built my system, most people said you'd only need 4gb of system ram and whatever the video card has, the idea being that most of the game would be loaded into VRAM and some onto the SRAM.

After restarting the game's application everything seems to be in working order and performance is stable once again(~60fps and mostly smooth most of the time with a couple hitches here and there). Weird.

As soon as I have the funds(which is probably never) I will be purchasing some extra system ram.

Yep, the game has a minimum requirement of 6GB of RAM. I've had the game by itself using up 3.2GB of RAM all by itself, excluding the rest of the system.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess this might be the place to ask...

I could lower everything in Witcher 2 to run it at 100fps but the controls were always laggy and the menus were even worse. It was bad enough (plus AA not working no matter what) that I never played it even though I got the game Day 1.

Witcher 3 interests me conceptually, but I don't want a repeat of that experience, so are there people here who had the control/menu lag in 2 but don't have it in 3?

Ok, finally time to add my hat into the ring.

i5 2500k
780 GTX OC'd to GPU 1047MHz, MEM 1592MHz
8GB of RAM
SDD

So I can get it somewhat locked to 1080p60 at a mix of High and Medium, but it fluctuates too much to sub 50fps, and for me is way too noticeable.

So, instead, I have EVERYTHING on Ultra, Hair completely off.
I can get 1080p30 rock solid in Borderless Windowed.

I have it locked to 30fps through Precision X. SO BEAUTIFUL.

Wait, is locking it to 30 using the in-game option not enough? I did briefly try locking it using that and I couldn't put my finger on it but I still noticed some odd jittering somehow.

Kalm

Forgot to mention VRAM stuff in my post above:

v1.03: 2GB -> 2.5GB depending on location. Ultra setting, no ini tweaks. No noticeable pop-in besides distant tree shadows.

v1.04: 1.2GB -> 1.7GB depending on location. Ultra setting, no ini tweaks. Ridiculous pop-in everywhere -- grass, trees, shadow LOD, bloody NPCs.

Doubling and tripling the TextureMemory setting in the .ini does nothing. Still tops out at 1.7GB of the 3GB available and the awful pop-in is unchanged. Based on Andy's guide, all the other .ini settings related to textures and shadows are still at their default Ultra numbers.

Can I get a Marty McFly to swing by around 8am yesterday morning and rip out my ethernet cable please? Everything was GOAT before this...

Valravn

I play this game with 980 Strix in SLI and damn, the top card gets really hot, stabilized at 80c. The lower one 67c max.
Still nothing to worry about and this game is intensive, so that explains it.

MaLDo

Well, after selling HD 7950 and upgrading to R9 280X OC (GA-R928XO3) the game runs faster and smoother now without HairWorks. Now I have 50-55 FPS average and minimum 38-40 FPS (it was my average FPS on HD 7950). The game is really demanding to GPU and I perfectly see why. Can't wait to test the game on the final version of Windows 10.

Thank you a thousand times o/

Kalm

After updating the game to v1.04 I'm getting these weird things here and there:

muxleh.jpg

CDPR definitely broke something within the game with this patch.

I have no crashes for the moment but looking at your screenshot and reading about crashes I guess if this game will brick some gpus.

2500k with 8 gigs ram and 270x 2gig factory overclocked.

Zero problems since launch.

Followed Durante's guide to performance tweaking today and got even better performance. Most everything on ultra at a locked 30fps. Hair off. Shadows medium. AA off, but injected SMAA (per Durante) using Catalyst Control Center. Looks and runs great.

Debating changing settings to get a full 60fps but I don't know how big of a downgrade I would be facing.

Repo Man

I guess this might be the place to ask...

I could lower everything in Witcher 2 to run it at 100fps but the controls were always laggy and the menus were even worse. It was bad enough (plus AA not working no matter what) that I never played it even though I got the game Day 1.

Witcher 3 interests me conceptually, but I don't want a repeat of that experience, so are there people here who had the control/menu lag in 2 but don't have it in 3?

Can't say I've experienced any mouse lag, Witcher 3 has the option to enable hardware cursor which I think eliminates the lag.

ValfarHL

Not really. But then again I'm using an OC 2500k and 8GB of RAM.

Same as me. I have a pretty much stable 60 with hairworks off and everything on Ultra, except grass density, shadows, foliage which is set to high. Running my 2500k at 4.5Ghz. After lots of crashing I have to run my 970 a stock.

If you use my cheat engine table sure. Examples:

It's a basic photo mode. Can freeze game, change camera position\field of view, and time of day.

And I am oh so happy for it, love taking pics of various beasties you wouldn't otherwise be able to see in such detail up close. Saw this thing barreling out of the woods today and had to snag a pic. Crazy how much detail they put into each enemy considering you don't catch half these details in normal view. This game would benefit greatly from a first person mod if not just to up immersion.

rsz_witcher3_2015-05-rnr7n.jpg

Same as me. I have a pretty much stable 60 with hairworks off and everything on Ultra, except grass density, shadows, foliage which is set to high. Running my 2500k at 4.5Ghz. After lots of crashing I have to run my 970 a stock.

I like to add that it depends where I am. In the begining of the game I can get a stable 60 by just turning off hairworks and turning down grass density. However when I get to
Crookbag Bog or whereever or Fyke Island
the framerate takes a dive. I'm running the game on borderless window, which some say may kill performance.

Also your overclock had problems too with this game? My GPU was getting artifacts everywhere with it's OC so I had to turn it down. Didn't really happen with other games I played.

Sijil

My 770 runs at 99% nearly all the time, temps constantly hover at 80. Opening the inventory lowers the usage to 2% and temps drop to around 50.

Has me on edge, but 80 is within the safe temp limits of the GPU, hoping Nvidia drivers might remedy this.

Performance is still bad after patch 1.04; it might have gotten worse too as I started to see dips to 40-45 fps in open areas. I guess I have to wait for the new Kepler driver to improve performance.

Looks like my days of playing the game are over until there's another patch or Nvidia updates their broken driver. After the 1.04 update I'm unable to get into the game for more than 30 secs. It will either kick me back to the desktop or reboot my PC completely. I have installed and uninstalled every driver released since Nov 2014. same results. I have tried to get this game going at least 20-30 times. Oh well, The game was great while it lasted.

Have you Chrome running in the background? Even if it's not open, Chrome can lurk. Also, disable your AV maybe?

ISee

Not really. But then again I'm using an OC 2500k and 8GB of RAM.

That is not the problem. an i5 and 8gb are enough. Even a fast i3 is enough.
I get the same fps as you with hairworks on... and constant 60 fps with foilage and shadows set to high rest to ultra and, obviously, hairworks off.

And I am even on 347.88 drivers, because the newest 'Witcher 3 optimized' 352.86 drivers keep on crashing while I am working or browsing on my PC. And I am not the only one with this problem as more and more people start to report about crashing drivers while browsing etc. NVIDIA messed something up big times this time around.

Edit: 1080p, as I am not sure if we are talking about the same resolution.

pahamrick

So, re: imported saves vs simulated saves, do we know yet if, in the import case, there are more flags being checked than the 5 questions asked during the simulation dialogue?

I mean, other than the Blue Stripes tattoo, obviously.

Not sure if it was a flag from the save, or if it's available for all players regardless, but there's a note you can find that explains (Witcher 2 Side Quest Spoilers)
What the experimental mutagen Geralt drank from those two shady scholars was supposed to do.

KHlover

Banned
Reading all the impressions of the 1.04 patch...right now I'm actually pretty glad it was my dad who used the GOG Galaxy code in our physical copy. 1.03 and happy, hope 1.05 fixes things again.

ISee

Reading all the impressions of the 1.04 patch...right now I'm actually pretty glad it was my dad who used the GOG Galaxy code in our physical copy. 1.03 and happy, hope 1.05 fixes things again.

To be honest, 1.04 runs without any problems for me... I am a bit surpised to read about so many bad impressions.

My 770 runs at 99% nearly all the time, temps constantly hover at 80. Opening the inventory lowers the usage to 2% and temps drop to around 50.

Has me on edge, but 80 is within the safe temp limits of the GPU, hoping Nvidia drivers might remedy this.

Game is very GPU heavy. Even my g1 970 reaches ~74°C after a heavy gameplay season. I doubt NVIDIA can do something about this with driver optimization, taxing games will heat up your GPU.
80°C is the normal GPU Temp Nvidia expects Kepler cards to reach with standart/default cooling solutions so the chips are build to stand it. Even if you have a costum cooling solution.

JohngPR

Try changing the user settings in your documents folder. I managed to fix a few things in there, not sure if it'll work in your case.

I gave that a shot with no luck. At this point I'm just saving at the end of a play session near someone I can tal to to "initiate Ultra textures" until it gets fixed. What a weird bug.

Dmax3901

Stupid patches and performance threads. I was blissfully ignorant, now I can't help but notice the in-game AA isn't perfect. I want to take the blue pill!

That is not the problem. an i5 and 8gb are enough. Even a fast i3 is enough.
I get the same fps as you with hairworks on... and constant 60 fps with foilage and shadows set to high rest to ultra and, obviously, hairworks off.

And I am even on 347.88 drivers, because the newest 'Witcher 3 optimized' 352.86 drivers keep on crashing while I am working or browsing on my PC. And I am not the only one with this problem as more and more people start to report about crashing drivers while browsing etc. NVIDIA messed something up big times this time around.

Edit: 1080p, as I am not sure if we are talking about the same resolution.

Yes I'm using 1080p as well. I wonder why I'm having such lacking in performance if true. Unless I happen to only be looking in certain frame drop areas.

EDIT - Maybe it is a setting I have on my NVidia control panel?

ValfarHL

I like to add that it depends where I am. In the begining of the game I can get a stable 60 by just turning off hairworks and turning down grass density. However when I get to
Crookbag Bog or whereever or Fyke Island
the framerate takes a dive. I'm running the game on borderless window, which some say may kill performance.

Also your overclock had problems too with this game? My GPU was getting artifacts everywhere with it's OC so I had to turn it down. Didn't really happen with other games I played.

Didn't see a single artifact, but had a lot of crashes. Even when turning the clock way down compared to what is stable in other games. I am now running at stock, and haven't had a single crash since doing that. Guess one of the reason is that this game utilizes almost 100% of the gpu most of time. That is good game developing, if you ask me. :)

To be honest, 1.04 runs without any problems for me... I am a bit surpised to read about so many bad impressions.

Game is very GPU heavy. Even my g1 970 reaches ~74°C after a heavy gameplay season. I doubt NVIDIA can do something about this with driver optimization, taxing games will heat up your GPU.
80°C is the normal GPU Temp Nvidia expects Kepler cards to reach with standart/default cooling solutions so the chips are build to stand it. Even if you have a costum cooling solution.

My 770 reaches 77 degrees but the fans aren't particularly loud so I don't even notice to be fair. I mean my PC is half as loud as my PS4 is when I'm trying to play bloodborne or something so I'm not as concious at checking my temps on my PC as I normally would. Reading what I'm reading though, I should probably keep an eye on the temps and gpu usage since patch 1.04.

Edit: And for the record, my 770 has been working flawlessly for 30 hours. I get some judder (CDPR issue, not me) and I had some crashes at first when I tried to overclock my card but putting it down to factory settings I've not had a single crash.

Guess i'm lucky?!

ISee

Yes I'm using 1080p as well. I wonder why I'm having such lacking in performance if true. Unless I happen to only be looking in certain frame drop areas.

I doubt it is that... There weren't any huge framedrop areas till now (I am running my counters on my second monitor).

But there seems to be something wrong here, no doubt about that.

1. Did you loose any performance in 'older' games / benchmarks ?
2. How are your temperature levels?
3. Try to completly uninstall/reinstall your nvidia drivers / try older drivers (good old try to turn it off and on advice)
4. Maybe something is faulty with you system RAM (just a guess out of the blue)...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm happy with the graphics/performance I'm getting with 1.03. getting a decent 1080p 60fps. it dips a little riding through white orchard (the first little village) and once or twice during a fight. i really can't play this at 30fps. it looks terrible with my monitor.

should i avoid 1.04? i'm using an i5-4590/8GB/290 4GB (w/~11% OC). i really don't want to update if it's gonna lower performance.

ISee

Guess i'm lucky?!

Or you have a different setup, different room temperatures, a different caseing with more or differents fans... There are many reasons why even the same cards reache different temperatures. 77°C is good and as long as you card isn't loud enjoy your game ;)

Sil

Banned
Even after disabling tutorial messages the keyboard/mouse controls remain on screen (low right corner) constantly.

Anyone knows how to get rid of this?

Or you have a different setup, different room temperatures, a different caseing with more or differents fans... There are many reasons why even the same cards reache different temperatures. 77°C is good and as long as you card isn't loud enjoy your game ;)

I mean the crashes people are havin grather than my gfx card! But yeah it's all good my end. *touch wood* lol.

Thrakier

I get stable 60fps with high ultra settings and hairworks off on my 970. That's cool.

But I think the game isn't very pretty. Wächter 2 impressed me much more back then.

viveks86

It's one of the HUD on/off options, but I can't remember exactly which.

Andy, any driver updates incoming? Still getting driver crashes in-game as well as using google chrome. Also get this weird 2-second black screen 20-30 seconds into the first time I load a game after which it works fine (if it doesn't crash altogether). All of this is after installing the witcher 3 game ready driver.

Top Bottom