• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I have no crashes for the moment but looking at your screenshot and reading about crashes I guess if this game will brick some gpus.
I think that's not the problem here. I started getting these texture glitches only after updating the game to v1.04, before that everything was working fine. Oh and I have no crashes at all, not a single one since the release last week.

My 770 runs at 99% nearly all the time, temps constantly hover at 80. Opening the inventory lowers the usage to 2% and temps drop to around 50.

Has me on edge, but 80 is within the safe temp limits of the GPU, hoping Nvidia drivers might remedy this.
I'm getting 60-65 temps at the full load here with GPU fans speed at 100% . Try increasing the speed of the GPU fans to 100%. 80 degrees is way too much, you can easily melt your card at this temp.

hoserx

I think that's not the problem here. I started getting these texture glitches only after updating the game to v1.04, before that everything was working fine. Oh and I have no crashes at all, not a single one since the release last week.

I'm getting 60-65 temps at the full load here with GPU fans speed at 100% . Try increasing the speed of the GPU fans to 100%. 80 degrees is way too much, you can easily melt your card at this temp.

80 degrees isn't a "cool" temp by any means but it won't "melt" your card.

ValfarHL

Not true: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

98C - Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)

Better to be sure before scaring other members unnecessarily. :)

Shadownet

Banned
Some Witcher 3 screenshots for fun. Gonna use jim2point0's cheat engine later.
yLPBxPf.png

ummm, agree?
SM2VZZn.png

GekDVi5.png

I can see why Yen and Triss has a hard time saying no.
Not that they want to anyway.
OvwkIs3.png

ummm Roach, you okay..?
3cK5oj6.png

Cool guy don't look at explosions.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wasn't gonna update to 1.04 after reading all the issues people seem to be having but I did. I'm seeing better performance! Maybe about 10fps extra. I've managed to increase some settings and still keep my 60fps lock. Before I turned some settings up I can't say that the game looks any better or worse than before. I don't notice any difference in textures, AA, or that. Textures are at Ultra. Still looks great to me.

I have an i5-4590, 8GB, R9 290 4GB.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Would you guys say losing between 15-20 frames with Geralt Hairworks seems about average for a 280x? How much does the tessellation level tweak help in that regard? It actually looks quite nice

laxu

Not true: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

Yeah, that's the temp where the card will start melting. However, it will start throttling and possibly artifacting at far below it. For the 7xx and 9xx series that is actually around 80 degrees. If you're hitting that kind of temps it might be a good idea to crank up your fans, clean your case and possibly install a side fan if your case has a slot for it. The side fan helped my GPU temps a lot even if it's running at a low setting.

Wow, 1.04 really shortened loading times for me. At least I'm assuming it was the patch, I didn't do anything.
Had no issues to report up until now but now when rotfiends explode it creates a weird glitch with lots of red polygons flying all over the screen.

Grass and foliage look much cleaner on 1.04, actually a noticeable difference. It did make a small performance impact for me however. On my 2500K and 970, I had been playing at a locked 60 by just turning off hairworks and putting foliage distance to High with no dips, getting fps in the 65-70 range, but on 1.04 I do get dips here and there.

Seems worth it though as it looks much cleaner. I still haven't been able to enable hairworks even with the patch improvements, still too much of a hit. As others have said once you play at 60, its REALLY hard to justify playing at 30 for the added IQ of hairworks and ultra foliage distance.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If anything I'd say loading times have improved. I can't really tell though cause they are so fast for me. Don't have time to read the little bit of text that comes up when fast travelling. I'm not even on SSD (yet). I have a WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

s_mirage

Yeah, that's the temp where the card will start melting. However, it will start throttling and possibly artifacting at far below it. For the 7xx and 9xx series that is actually around 80 degrees. If you're hitting that kind of temps it might be a good idea to crank up your fans, clean your case and possibly install a side fan if your case has a slot for it. The side fan helped my GPU temps a lot even if it's running at a low setting.

On the 780 Ti at least, the drivers automatically modulate the fan speeds and the adjust the boost clock to maintain 82C under heavy load. If that temperature was unsafe, Nvidia would have set the target temperature significantly lower, and if you're getting artifacting "far below that" you either have an unstable overclock or a defective card.

glaurung

The loading times on my SSD were always pretty much non-existent. Cannot notice whether the patch improved it.

As of 1.0.4 I am running the game with everything at 11 - except for shadows, which are at medium and the motion blur/regular blur disabled. I didn't find that the blurring added anything.

But what's even weirder - I cannot see any real difference with shadows on medium versus shadows on ultra? Can anyone comment on this?

The loading times on my SSD were always pretty much non-existent. Cannot notice whether the patch improved it.

As of 1.0.4 I am running the game with everything at 11 - except for shadows, which are at medium and the motion blur/regular blur disabled. I didn't find that the blurring added anything.

But what's even weirder - I cannot see any real difference with shadows on medium versus shadows on ultra? Can anyone comment on this?

It has been discussed. What's weirder is that Shadow Quality slider affects a fair amount of fps iirc.

So dropping from ultra to medium frees up some fps for other settings with hardly any difference in quality.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So like. What's up with the awkward dithering effect when the game hides object so they don't obscure the camera? It's ugly :(. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, not like it's Witcher 2 levels, that was bad

So like. What's up with the awkward dithering effect when the game hides object so they don't obscure the camera? It's ugly :(. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, not like it's Witcher 2 levels, that was bad

You mean the dither disolve when an object gets to close to the camera? That is usually seen as a positive thing instead of the object just disappearing.

Tomodachi

Is there any way I can disable altogether camera auto-adjustment? It feels too quick to reset in position when I look around while riding and generally not in the direction I'd like (a bit too much towards the ground).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You mean the dither disolve when an object gets to close to the camera? That is usually seen as a positive thing instead of the object just disappearing.

I thought you could make objects dissolve without the dither effect though. The n64 could do it. I agree that it would me much more jarring if they just disappeared

I'm getting a weird kind of stuttering after the 1.04 patch. It's like the game is lagging (like a connection issue).
Running on Titan X/ I7-5930K / 64GB RAM 1920x1080 btw

ecosse_011172

Don't run SMAA and FXAA at the same time. Pick one or the other. Don't run the game in borderless window mode (big performance drop in my experience).

To downsample, use DSR in Nvidia Control Panel. The factors are your native screen res * factor. The smoothness slider controls the gaussian filter applied when downsampling from the higher resolution. You need to set the game to run at the DSR resolution so for example if you downsample from 4k then you would set the game resolution to 4k. The resolutions come available as you tick the boxes in NV Control Panel. You probably want to drop all antialiasing with this as the downsampling and smoothness setting will pretty much do that for you.

That worked fine, thanks a lot!

knerl

I promise!
I'm just running around the forest, initial village but it was a steady 60fps, I do have an OC and other stuff turned down.

Firmly believe you. Using a 970 with shadows and foliage range on high, hairworks on and everything else on ultra at 1080p I get between 45-55fps. If I drop shadows to medium I gain about 10fps. The real killer is when you get really close to geralt. That makes the framerate drop to ~30 or lower.

I thought you could make objects dissolve without the dither effect though. The n64 could do it. I agree that it would me much more jarring if they just disappeared
I am not specifically sure what you mean by the N64 there, but I generally think (from what I have read at least), that crossdissolve for object LOD and drawing is seen as the more advanced way of doing it (or at least a cost efficient and non-distracting way). I think it originated in Halo reach maybe? Or Crysis 2? I forget..

How would you have it be done visually so that it doesn't distract?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I am not specifically sure what you mean by the N64 there, but I generally think (from what I have read at least), that crossdissolve for object LOD and drawing is seen as the more advanced way of doing it (or at least a cost efficient and non-distracting way). I think it originated in Halo reach maybe? Or Crysis 2? I forget..

How would you have it be done visually so that it doesn't distract?

I mean like in Banjo Kazooie or DK64 where the trees just fade in smoothly, no dithering from what I can remember. Maybe I'm just dumb and don't understand technology :lol.
Witcher 2 made me hate all kinds of dithering. Then again the N64 stuff I mention were sprites iirc, so maybe dithering makes it look better for 3D objects

I mean like in Banjo Kazooie or DK64 where the trees just fade in smoothly, no dithering from what I can remember. Maybe I'm just dumb and don't understand technology :lol.
Witcher 2 made me hate all kinds of dithering. Then again the N64 stuff I mention were sprites iirc, so maybe dithering makes it look better for 3D objects
Could you link a vid of it?

No problem not knowing something, heck, i do not know a whole bunch at the end of the day either. Might as well figure it out together.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Could you link a vid of it?

No problem not knowing something, heck, i do not know a whole bunch at the end of the day either. Might as well figure it out together.

Had a bit of a hard time finding console captured footage, emulator's cant emulate the effect properly so trees just pop in. But I found one:

https://youtu.be/cc5hd0QkEcI?t=685

Look at the tree that fades in on the right side just as the camera turns.

Had a bit of a hard time finding console captured footage, emulator's cant emulate the effect properly so trees just pop in. But I found one:

https://youtu.be/cc5hd0QkEcI?t=685

Look at the tree that fades in on the right side just as the camera turns.

Transparency fade in. Gotchya.

I imagine that is totally doable, but they choose cross dissolve dither for... idk some reason. I am not sure why one is prefered over the other. While that fade in is smooth, it definitely is pretty glaring because that tree is right inf front of DK.

Long story short, I am not sure why one is preferred over the other.

Thrakier

What is super annoying is the frame skipping when riding, esepcially in slow galop. It's driving me mad and it's a shame they weren't able to fix it since TW2 already had major issues with frametiming and frameskips. It seems to be hardcoded in the engine. Other than that the game runs mostly fine. But these hicups...uh. :(

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
80 degrees isn't a "cool" temp by any means but it won't "melt" your card.

WOW! And I thought that only AMD GPU's getting that hot at full load. Every day you learn something new (^__^)
But still, 80 degrees is way to high, it will be better to add one more (or 2) fan at the bottom of the case (if there's room for it) to create a decent airflow and to cool down the GPU to at least 65-70 degrees.

What is super annoying is the frame skipping when riding, esepcially in slow galop. It's driving me mad and it's a shame they weren't able to fix it since TW2 already had major issues with frametiming and frameskips. It seems to be hardcoded in the engine. Other than that the game runs mostly fine. But these hicups...uh. :(

That is frame skipping. It was quite bad in TW2 as wel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6uWSQWTGs

It is a camera thing on my end (frametimes are flat). I am not sure why they think it is a good idea to tie the camera to the uneven horse gait and geralt's trod. IMO, it should be smooth.

Thrakier

It is a camera thing on my end (frametimes are flat). I am not sure why they think it is a good idea to tie the camera to the uneven horse gait and geralt's trod. IMO, it should be smooth.

Frameskipping isn't neccesarily seen in the frametimes I think. I'm flat 60FPS as well and still these skips occur. I don't believ it's a camera thing, it's an animation/frametime bug.

Frameskipping isn't neccesarily seen in the frametimes I think. I'm flat 60FPS as well and still these skips occur. I don't believ it's a camera thing, it's an animation/frametime bug.

I mean camera animation. Sorry should have been clearer. I should make some high fps video of geralts run at somepoint...

Dr Dogg

Yep my framtimes are 16.7ms on the dot but moving through the world on either horseback of foot at a medium pace or higher has a definite chug every second to it. Even stood still in a field looking up at the sky at a flock of birds passing over are not flying in a smooth pattern but pulse to the same rhythm. I'd imagine it's a streaming related issue being an open world title an all.

Yep my framtimes are 16.7ms on the dot but moving through the world on either horseback of foot at a medium pace or higher has a definite chug every second to it. Even stood still in a field looking up at the sky at a flock of birds passing over are not flying in a smooth pattern but pulse to the same rhythm. I'd imagine it's a streaming related issue being an open world title an all.

I have never done that really.. perhaps I should look for that too.

Thrakier

One more time: It's called frame skipping. ;) That is the word you got to search for. I had these issues with TW2 already and I tried A LOT back then. It was finally fixed by some dude programming a dx9 wrapper who made the game smooth.

I don't know what CD Projects issues are when it comes to smooth framerates, but it doesn't seem to be their strong part. Although TW3 seems to run better than TW2 did.

Dr Dogg

One more time: It's called frame skipping. ;) That is the word you got to search for. I had these issues with TW2 already and I tried A LOT back then. It was finally fixed by some dude programming a dx9 wrapper who made the game smooth.

I don't know what CD Projects issues are when it comes to smooth framerates, but it doesn't seem to be their strong part. Although TW3 seems to run better than TW2 did.

It is not frame skipping, I know how that feels, that's observable and not what I'm experiencing. Camera movement is smooth, other character animations are smooth, foliage and tree animations are smooth but Geralt himself chugs as he passes through the world. It has a very distinct and concise rhythm that peaks at the same spot every time no matter if the game is locked, both using the internal limited or external solutions or let to run free and various combinations of in game and driver Vsync and even borderless or completely free of Vsync. Even with erratic frametimes it's still there, to the same rhythm regardless.

Thrakier

It is not frame skipping, I know how that feels, that's observable and not what I'm experiencing. Camera movement is smooth, other character animations are smooth, foliage and tree animations are smooth but Geralt himself chugs as he passes through the world. It has a very distinct and concise rhythm that peaks at the same spot every time no matter if the game is locked, both using the internal limited or external solutions or let to run free and various combinations of in game and driver Vsync and even borderless or completely free of Vsync. Even with erratic frametimes it's still there, to the same rhythm regardless.

Well, maybe we are observing different things. What I am seeing is that especially on the horses back and riding slow, there is a skipped frame every few seconds, which makes the game appear a bit "jumpy". Much as you are rather warping through the world instead of running through it. I think it's always there, it's just more noticable when riding on the horses back.

It's gone when you move very, very slowly on foot.

Would you guys say losing between 15-20 frames with Geralt Hairworks seems about average for a 280x? How much does the tessellation level tweak help in that regard? It actually looks quite nice

I was going from 52-28 with it on a 290x. With the tessellation adjustments, I was going from 52-40.

Dries

So I've been reading up on this whole 1.03/1.04 Mipmap Bias stuff and if I understand correctly, it's like this:

Patch 1.03: TextureMipBias value = 0
This will give you worse IQ (compared to 1.04), but will greatly improve the extermination of shimmering and aliasing.

Patch 1.04: TextureMipBias value = -1.0 (Ultra)
This will give you an improvement in IQ (compared to 1.03), but you will notice more shimmering and aliasing

So it's basically a question of what you would rather have, right? Would you rather have lesser IQ but no shimmer/aliasing or would you rather have better IQ, but more shimmering/aliasing?

It seems like everyone in this thread is going for the 1.03 way (the 0 value). Are there also people sticking to 1.04?

I haven't played with the new patch yet, so I think I'll start with better IQ and see if the shimmering/aliasing is bad enough to make me revert back to 1.03 as well. For the record, I'm playing at 1440p with both in-game AA and NVCP applied FXAA. I don't mind the FXAA blur too much.

Top Bottom