• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

4GB download for this?

Patch 1.08.1 (14.08.2015)
  • Introduces a retro-active fix to some of the achievements that were amended in the patch 1.08.
  • Adds sources for scripts (mod support).
What has caused such patch size bloat, CDPR isn't only team releasing huge patches to fix 1-2 things?

What the, it was like 20MB for me on Steam.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
4GB download for this?

Patch 1.08.1 (14.08.2015)
  • Introduces a retro-active fix to some of the achievements that were amended in the patch 1.08.
  • Adds sources for scripts (mod support).
What has caused such patch size bloat, CDPR isn't only team releasing huge patches to fix 1-2 things?

Odd, the patch was 1gB on Galaxy

What the, it was like 20MB for me on Steam.

Jesus, they really need to sort out how Galaxy handles patches

Steam needed seeeeveral years before they implemented differential patching. I think they did just a pair of years ago. Before that, a update for Arma 2 could be 300MB and be 10x bigger in the Steam version, for example.

But yeah, let's hope GOG does it soon.

edit: wait, I just entered in Galaxy to update. Given it was just a few seconds, it couldn't be bigger than ÷200MB.

Knurek

Meh, even despite switching to 970, I can't seem to hit 1080p60, no matter the setting I use.
I can have Ultra on 1080p30 with some minor frametime variance (or none with Hairworks disabled), but I'm getting massive stutter when I unlock the framerate.
I guess my i3-3250 is the limiting factor here.
Oh well, can't say the game looks bad as it is. More fluidness 60fps provides would be appreciated though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam needed seeeeveral years before they implemented differential patching. I think they did just a pair of years ago. Before that, a update for Arma 2 could be 300MB and be 10x bigger in the Steam version, for example.

Steam finally began supporting delta patching in ~mid-2011, but it was a gradual thing as Valve had to move everything over to the new "SteamPipe" CDN. Valve's games were actually the last to make the jump since, previously, they installed to SteamApps\[account name] rather than SteamApps\common and were programmed to read core data from GCFs stored in the root of the SteamApps folder.

Just flashed my GPU bios so that it is no longer TDP limited. One of the best things I have ever done! Maxwell (at least big maxwell) is primarily TDP limited, and not because of the PCI-E power connections or due to the power set up in cables, but rather just because of spec and government standards. Being able to go above 275 Watts is a god send.

Now: WItcher 3 @ 4K, ultra, Hairworks, 30 fps at basically all times :0

I seriously hope they do patch some extra graphical doodads at some point into the game... obmb!
Meh, even despite switching to 970, I can't seem to hit 1080p60, no matter the setting I use.
I can have Ultra on 1080p30 with some minor frametime variance (or none with Hairworks disabled), but I'm getting massive stutter when I unlock the framerate.
I guess my i3-3250 is the limiting factor here.
Oh well, can't say the game looks bad as it is. More fluidness 60fps provides would be appreciated though.

I think the i3 is just not that great for consistent framerates @ CPU heavier games unfortunately. THen again, everything that I know about TW3 is that it scales well with Freq and threadcount.

QUy8tPS_XBfk.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
(thx Durante)

What is your CPU usage in game? Both locked at 30, and when unlocked with max being 60?

Knurek

I think the i3 is just not that great for consistent framerates @ CPU heavier games unfortunately. THen again, everything that I know about TW3 is that it scales well with Freq and threadcount.
What is your CPU usage in game? Both locked at 30, and when unlocked with max being 60?

Yeah, I've noticed. No problems with older games, but for anything from 2014 onwards I'm being effectively CPU-bound by 2 cores.
Oh well, I hope I can still get LGA1155 CPUs. Will have to look for them in shops here.

For referrence, GPU usage 40-80% (depending on settings/Hairworks/scene), CPU usage 40-80% with 30fps lock, 80-100% usage with unlocked framerate.

(And according to Durante's graph, I should be okay - 4 threads, 3.5 GHz. Clearly Haswell which he based the graph on has some improvements over Ivy Bridge)

Just flashed my GPU bios so that it is no longer TDP limited. One of the best things I have ever done! Maxwell (at least big maxwell) is primarily TDP limited, and not because of the PCI-E power connections or due to the power set up in cables, but rather just because of spec and government standards. Being able to go above 275 Watts is a god send.

Now: WItcher 3 @ 4K, ultra, Hairworks, 30 fps at basically all times :0

I seriously hope they do patch some extra graphical doodads at some point into the game... obmb!

QUy8tPS_XBfk.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
(thx Durante)

What gpu do you have?

hold on... does this 20mb patch give you the achievements you achieved in 1.0.7 that didn't trigger?

That's what this sounds like:

Introduces a retro-active fix to some of the achievements that were amended in the patch 1.08.

Renekton

This runs great on my 290x with everything on ultra other than the Nvidia stuff, but it's definitely not the graphical beast I was expecting. Looks real good, but nowhere near the pre-release material. Bit of a shame I thought it would be the new Crysis which PC games need.
It largely depends on whether you reached Novigrad and Skellige yet.

Knurek

hold on... does this 20mb patch give you the achievements you achieved in 1.0.7 that didn't trigger?

That's what this sounds like:

Introduces a retro-active fix to some of the achievements that were amended in the patch 1.08.

Well, it gave me a 'Game Finished' achivement, while all I did so far was dick around in White Orchard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I went for further graphics tweaking over framerate on my i5 2500K and 980 Ti. I could easily sit at 1440p@60fps if I dialled back my tweaks to stock ultra, but man those grass + shadow rendering distance tweaks are just way too good to pass up.

I went for further graphics tweaking over framerate on my i5 2500K and 980 Ti. I could easily sit at 1440p@60fps if I dialled back my tweaks to stock ultra, but man those grass + shadow rendering distance tweaks are just way too good to pass up.

Care to share your tweaks and comment a bit on the larger performance differences? I know you have been tweaking that stuff for a while.
Ahh cool. Got a 970, same settings except for res (2560x1440), can't wait to upgrade next year to get the most out of my 4k screen.

Yeah, this game benefits rather massivley from higher resolutions. But not for the same reasons as other games (über high res textures for example). Rather due to soo much subpixel stuff on ultra (the vegetation primarily) and because the camera is soo far back on geralt in comparison to the second game or other 3rd person games. You can finally resove the intense detail put into the armour and weapons and character faces but not just in cutscenes.

DPB

Well, it gave me a 'Game Finished' achivement, while all I did so far was dick around in White Orchard.

The same for me, I've only played for about 20 hours but I got the achievements for finishing the game on any difficulty plus the harder ones.

dEvAnGeL

Ok, so the game aside from some performance issues after patch 1.08 was working fine for me, i went out yesterday and got a samsung evo 850 and install the game on the ssd, i started the game and it worked great, I exited and tried to play again and the game would try to start but it crashes immediately and my gpu starts to work like crazy and make like whining sound, after trying everything i found out that for some reason I cannot run the game on full screen, it has to be on borderless window, is the only way the game starts, i look up online and the ammount of people having this problem is massive and the cause is completely unknown, the only thing i got was a new ssd, before that everything was fine, if anyone has experienced this problem and has found a solution please, please let me know of it, it's driving me crazy, thanks

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Care to share your tweaks and comment a bit on the larger performance differences? I know you have been tweaking that stuff for a while.

Tweaks I grabbed are from the Geforce guide, mainly foliage rendering distance and distance of foliage shadows. I'll go into specifics later, but here's a quick (and not particularly great) example of standard Ultra versus tweaked. Some areas show lesser improvement as they're more optimised thanks further rendering billboards (like the sunflower fields). Other areas are, in my opinion, improved dramatically.

2b3tjuh.png

2a2gkx9.png

Tweaks I grabbed are from the Geforce guide, mainly foliage rendering distance and distance of foliage shadows. I'll go into specifics later, but here's a quick (and not particularly great) example of standard Ultra versus tweaked. Some areas show lesser improvement as they're more optimised thanks further rendering billboards (like the sunflower fields). Other areas are, in my opinion, improved dramatically.

Yeah I find parts of Skellige to be the most dramatically improved, those big open areas are so improved by the tweaks. Since getting my Ti a few weeks ago I still haven't decided whether to go with locked 60 @ 1440 at ultra or go back to my beyond ultra settings like you have. I'm half tempted to tweak to even further settings, turn on hairworks, or downsample a bit and just lock it back down to 30. The Geforce guide tweaks really go a long ways, as does a little downsampling. It's a hard knock life, that's for sure.

2b3tjuh.png

2a2gkx9.png

That is quite a stark difference regarding the rendering distance. What are your performance differences / numbers like? The grass rendering differences does not mess up the vegetation in Kaer Morahen like you once posted, does it?

And thanks for the comparison images!

Hm interesting - at stock 1440p ultra I cannot lock the witcher 3 to 60fps. Running a 980ti and i7 4790k. It hits 60 but dips to the 50s enough that I run a lower downsample, slightly above 1080p.

I also still turn shadows to high because it drops frames significantly some forests at certain times of day. Probably infrequent enough to ignore, but I want a consistent 60fps over other settings. I know, given how vast the game is, it is fairly impossible to test settings under all circumstances, but I've found just a slight DSR to be the most stable. Maybe I've got enough headroom to inject some anti aliasing

Vtomi80

Neo Member
Just refreshed to Windows 10.

Game seems to be running smoother, with less microstutters, and no tearing when fps drops below 60.

GTX970 with 353.62 nvidia driver

Hm interesting - at stock 1440p ultra I cannot lock the witcher 3 to 60fps. Running a 980ti and i7 4790k. It hits 60 but dips to the 50s enough that I run a lower downsample, slightly above 1080p.

I also still turn shadows to high because it drops frames significantly some forests at certain times of day. Probably infrequent enough to ignore, but I want a consistent 60fps over other settings. I know, given how vast the game is, it is fairly impossible to test settings under all circumstances, but I've found just a slight DSR to be the most stable. Maybe I've got enough headroom to inject some anti aliasing

Are you overclocking the 980Ti? That would bring the performance over the hill probably.

Are you overclocking the 980Ti? That would bring the performance over the hill probably.

That's my next step, and a safe OC on the CPU. Have to wait for a better cooler though because on stock cooling in a Fractal case I'm getting overheating (and BSODs likely because of the heat).

RedSwirl

Wow. My shit actually held together in Novigrad.

GTX 760
i5 4670k
8GB RAM

And I'm still getting 1080p 30fps with most settings at high or ultra. Sure my grass LOD is piss poor and NPCs are popping in like crazy, but the game isn't a slideshow and still looks stunning.

Wow. My shit actually held together in Novigrad.

GTX 760
i5 4670k
8GB RAM

And I'm still getting 1080p 30fps with most settings at high or ultra. Sure my grass LOD is piss poor and NPCs are popping in like crazy, but the game isn't a slideshow and still looks stunning.

I was part of the group that found novigrad performance to be better than the bogs or other areas of the game (skellige or areas with tons of moving vegetation).

I am not sure where and why people have performance problems in novigrad. The NPCs do not seem to do much on my end.

RedSwirl

I was part of the group that found novigrad performance to be better than the bogs or other areas of the game (skellige or areas with tons of moving vegetation).

I am not sure where and why people have performance problems in novigrad. The NPCs do not seem to do much on my end.

I'm actually kind of the same. The only places where I found serous FPS drops at these settings where in some dense forests and inside Keira's house for some reason.

I'm actually kind of the same. The only places where I found serous FPS drops at these settings where in some dense forests and inside Keira's house for some reason.

My old i5 ate shit in cities like novigrad and oxenfurt, dropped frames to the 45s. Never over clocked it though

So my CPU would be a bottleneck if I was trying to go for 60 on a higher-end GPU? I wouldn't know because I'm just trying to maintain 30 right now.

Well mine was a 2500k, and it was hurting my minimum frames pretty bad. Even with the 980ti I couldn't maintain 60 in CPU heavy areas, so I upgraded. Might try to see if you can find some benchmarks with the card you want and the CPU you have.

I'm also very particular about frame drops - like I said earlier, some would probably be fine on my setup slamming settings to max at 1440p, but any time I get drops I usually tone a setting or two down.

d00d3n

*snip*

Sounds awesome. Did you decide your own settings or did you use an image from somewhere? Link? How are the sound levels from the Titan after the flash btw?

I am not sure his was overclocked... I have an i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz and TW3 has never been CPU limited on my end (60fps never dropped from CPU when I was playing @ 1080p).

Had a very small OC - didn't mess with voltage or anything. I'm sure a serious overclock would alleviate some of the dips I had. Again, I'm all about a consistent frame rate so if I notice a dip I turn down whatever the culprit is. In an open world game like this, I'm sure others would be fine overlooking brief drops.

Xyber

I am not sure his was overclocked... I have an i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz and TW3 has never been CPU limited on my end (60fps never dropped from CPU when I was playing @ 1080p).

Yeah, at 60FPS most modern (and especially overclocked) Intel CPU's with 2500K performance and above won't be a bottleneck. There's of course exceptions like MMO's, but most games will mostly be capped by GPU performance.

If you are aiming for 120FPS though there is definitely a difference with the newer ones, not huge or anything but it's there.
YkaUzTA.png

Vtomi80

Neo Member
New Game + DLC appeared on GOG but I am not able to install due to incorrect version of game. I have the latest 1.08.2 patch and all previous DLC's installed.

Anyone else having the same problem?

WeskerXXI

Sorry if this have been discussed before, but I'm having lots of pop in and texture loading issues. Grass pops in very close to Geralt while riding on horseback, for example, and NPCs spawn like right in front of me sometimes. The other day I entered a town on Skellige and heard a group of people talking and I didn't know where it was coming from, since there was nobody in sight. Took like one or two steps forward and the group spawned right next to me.

But the biggest problem is the constant texture loading during conversations. Everytime the camera pans a little too far, the game loads low quality textures for the models and reloads the high quality ones visibly when back close, resulting in things like Geralt's beard coming and going. It's very jarring and distracting.

Some quick searches on the internet resulted on posts on reddit or cdprojekt's forums talking about patch 1.04 introducing the problem and the draw distances being hardcoded.

So, is there any .ini tweaks I can do, or any settings I could change to fix this? My specs and config are:
i5 4670K @4.1
16GB RAM
GTX 970 G1 Gaming with no extra overclock
W10 with latest drivers
1080p Fullscreen with frames limited to 60 in-game (got it windowed and limited through Rivatuner before, but it looked to me like it ran worse like this on W10) and v-sync ON. Got everything set to Ultra except Grass Density and Shadows on High. Hairworks OFF. FXAA via NVidia Drivers. HBAO+. Motion Blur, Vigneting and Chomatic Aberration OFF.

Sorry if this have been discussed before, but I'm having lots of pop in and texture loading issues. Grass pops in very close to Geralt while riding on horseback, for example, and NPCs spawn like right in front of me sometimes. The other day I entered a town on Skellige and heard a group of people talking and I didn't know where it was coming from, since there was nobody in sight. Took like one or two steps forward and the group spawned right next to me.

But the biggest problem is the constant texture loading during conversations. Everytime the camera pans a little too far, the game loads low quality textures for the models and reloads the high quality ones visibly when back close, resulting in things like Geralt's beard coming and going. It's very jarring and distracting.

Some quick searches on the internet resulted on posts on reddit or cdprojekt's forums talking about patch 1.04 introducing the problem and the draw distances being hardcoded.

So, is there any .ini tweaks I can do, or any settings I could change to fix this? My specs and config are:
i5 4670K @4.1
16GB RAM
W10 with latest drivers
1080p Fullscreen with frames limited to 60 in-game (got it windowed and limited through Rivatuner before, but it looked to me like it ran worse like this on W10) and v-sync ON. Got everything set to Ultra except Grass Density and Shadows on High. Hairworks OFF. FXAA via NVidia Drivers. HBAO+. Motion Blur, Vigneting and Chomatic Aberration OFF.

That is rather weird, I also have that the NPCs pop-in problem happen from times to times but I have never, ever seen texture loading during conversations.

Well, I haven't tinkered much with the ini files, but first things first, have you tried verifying game files yet? Last time I have some problems with the games' effects and textures, a verification downloaded some 31 MBs for me and it was perfect since. Try that first, you can do it both with GOG and Steam. If you have done that then I have no idea. I have never had that problems with both my 970 and 980ti during about 250 hrs game time (200 of which on a 970).

Also, do not use the ingame frame limiter, it works wonkily and you already have v-sync on.

WeskerXXI

That is rather weird, I also have that the NPCs pop-in problem happen from times to times but I have never, ever seen texture loading during conversations.

Well, I haven't tinkered much with the ini files, but first things first, have you tried verifying game files yet? Last time I have some problems with the games' effects and textures, a verification downloaded some 31 MBs for me and it was perfect since. Try that first, you can do it both with GOG and Steam. If you have done that then I have no idea. I have never had that problems with both my 970 and 980ti during about 250 hrs game time (200 of which on a 970).

Also, do not use the ingame frame limiter, it works wonkily and you already have v-sync on.
Oops, you are right. I had unlimited frames, but changed it in a rather useless attempt of fixing this.

Haven't tried verifying the game files, will do it when I get home.

EDIT: Verified the files, no changes applied and the game still behaves the same :(

Deadstar

Has anyone else had their load times become ridiculous? Loading from a death used to take less than 30 seconds, it now takes about 2 minutes. What is happening?

i5 4670K @4.1
16GB RAM
W10 with latest drivers
I have almost exactly the same specs as you expect my CPU is not OCd, 8GB RAM and win 8.1 with same gfx settings in game.
Working flawlessly off a 840 Pro. :eek:

Try checking your HDD with Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskInfo.
But 840 Pro is super reliable so I think it must be something else (Win 10 maybe? Or CPU OC?)

fake edit: also, any heavy-duty software in the background? A/V? Firewall? Anything that's "crunching" the HDD / resources constantly?

WeskerXXI

I have almost exactly the same specs as you expect my CPU is not OCd, 8GB RAM and win 8.1 with same gfx settings in game.
Working flawlessly off a 840 Pro. :eek:

Try checking your HDD with Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskInfo.
But 840 Pro is super reliable so I think it must be something else (Win 10 maybe? Or CPU OC?)

fake edit: also, any heavy-duty software in the background? A/V? Firewall? Anything that's "crunching" the HDD / resources constantly?
I had the same problem with Windows 8.1 and my old 760 2GB, but it has become more noticiable as of late. Maybe the IQ bump with the 970 makes me notice it more, but it was definetily happening before also.

I'm not at home right now so I can't check the specific loads, but I have AVG Internet Security and off the top of my head only uTorrent could be using many HDD resources if open while playing, but my shared files are obviously not on the SSD but a different HDD, so I don't know.

I will check the SSD when I get home. Thank you all for the interest.

WeskerXXI

Good news, Samsung Magician reported that my SSD's firmware was out of date and was performing badly on it's benchmarks. After updating the firmware and reoptimising for performance on Magician, the benchmarks are back to normal values, so I hope that was it. I've been playing for a while whitout problem but haven't encountered any conversation or sequence I could be 100% sure would have triggered the texture loading issue (no camera panning). Will report back after more time.

Thank you all.

Sad Edit: Nope, happened again in a conversation during the Lord of Undvik :(

Top Bottom