• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Daingurse

I have another dumb question about framerate (sorry guys, recently got a new PC and I'm kinda new at the whole 60fps thing).
Fraps gives me between 5x and 7x FPS, with my PC able to keep 60FPS almost anywhere, but the game still feels less smooth than 60fps videos of it that I see on youtube. Even when I record a video with Fraps, the video is smoother than my in-game experience. Is this just a personal perception thing? Or did I do something wrong with it? I have nVidia vsync on and game is fullscreen with disabled FPS limiter.
Even so, for comparison, MKX is fixed at 60fps feels way smoother and enjoyable.

Try locking the framerate at 60fps with RivaTuner Statstitics Server. This seems to produce more consistent frametimes, which should help because what you're describing sounds like a frame-pacing thing.

Anybody recently update to Win10? How does TW3 run before and after?

I upgraded from 8.1, and I lost like 7fps with my edited ini settings. I wasn't happy with that, so I rolled back lol. I've heard other people have the same performance though. *shrugs*

Fuz

Banned
Try locking the framerate at 60fps with RivaTuner Statstitics Server. This seems to produce more consistent frametimes, which should help because what you're describing sounds like a frame-pacing thing.

Thanks, but I used RTSS until a few days ago. I followed the whole tweak guide. No noticeable difference to what I see now.

mdzapeer

I use full screen vsync all from in-game and it gives the most smoothest experience (60 fps locked 980ti), that is with patch 1.07.

Previously Boderless windowed with RTSS worked well, now I get frame stutters every so often.

I ran a quick benchmark in the Abanded Village this morning after installing Windows 10. Bottom line, there is a negligible difference between 8.1 and 10, but there is noticeably more stutter with borderless than before, which is unfortunate because I like (read can't live without) using my own ICC profile.

Here are my settings and here are my benchmarks.

Later this weekend, I'll go through and fiddle with settings to see if I land on something more smooth.

Leatherface

camera movement in full screen mode on Windows 10 seems to be much smoother experience for me. FPS is the same. GTX780 here. 1440P/hairworks off/mostly ultra settings 45-50fps

Eyothrie

Have you guys cycled through all of the settings, like really dug deep? I haven't had any stuttering since 1.03, but it took a bit of tweaking and re-tweaking after every patch came out. I don't think 1.07 is a "shitshow" by any metric.

Or I could just be really lucky and in the minority.

I've never tweaked any of the inis. I've been playing at Ultra except for hairworks (off), shadows (medium), and foliage distance (medium) since the game came out on all patches. I'm seeing microstutter now with 1.07 while panning the camera around. It was not present on 1.05 or 1.06.

SliChillax

I think it's doable, but you'd have to cap your framerate at 30 fps or something. I have a single 980 and am playing at 1440p. I turn Hairworks off and cap my framerate at 45 (G-sync). I have yet to try that mod which disables Hairworks on Geralt's hair and only leaves it on for enemies though.

your framerate can vary wildly though, depending on time of day and area/locale.

Why would you cap the framerate with a Gsync monitor? It completely defeats the purpose.

Dries

Why would you cap the framerate with a Gsync monitor? It completely defeats the purpose.

By capping I can reduce the GPU usage, so my CPU can spare more horsepower calculating Background NPC's in big towns. At least, I think that's what I'm doing. I only know what I've tested and capping my framerate gives me a complete stutter reduction in towns. When I uncap my framerate, and therefore clear my GPU to go full-force, I notice clear stutters in scenes with many NPC's. Just a matter of finding the perfect balance between GPU usage, framerate and performance.

But I also notice the fluctuations pretty well when my framerate varies in the 30-50 fps area, so I'd rather still cap my framerate a little above my average fps value (which is 45-ish). This doesn't make the framerate fluctuate that much. I do agree that you don't really need to cap anything, but I'm almost never getting more than 50 fps anyway, so capping at 45 just gives me an overall smoother performance without losing anything. Yeah, 5 frames, so what. A capped 45 fps with G-sync is, for me, a much smoother experience than a G-synced framerate which still varies wildy. Sure, there's no screen tearing or input lag, but you still can tell when your framerate goes up or down. At least that's my experience, but I'm weird.

SliChillax

By capping I can reduce the GPU usage, so my CPU can spare more horsepower calculating Background NPC's in big towns. At least, I think that's what I'm doing. I only know what I've tested and capping my framerate gives me a complete stutter reduction in towns. When I uncap my framerate, and therefore clear my GPU to go full-force, I notice clear stutters in scenes with many NPC's. Just a matter of finding the perfect balance between GPU usage, framerate and performance.

But I also notice the fluctuations pretty well when my framerate varies in the 30-50 fps area, so I'd rather still cap my framerate a little above my average fps value (which is 45-ish). This doesn't make the framerate fluctuate that much. I do agree that you don't really need to cap anything, but I'm almost never getting more than 50 fps anyway, so capping at 45 just gives me an overall smoother performance without losing anything. Yeah, 5 frames, so what. A capped 45 fps with G-sync is, for me, a much smoother experience than a G-synced framerate which still varies wildy. Sure, there's no screen tearing or input lag, but you still can tell when your framerate goes up or down. At least that's my experience, but I'm weird.

Hmm that's interesting, never thought of it that way. I'll test it once I return from my holiday.

Dries

Hmm that's interesting, never thought of it that way. I'll test it once I return from my holiday.

I'd wager the results hugely depend on your CPU though, obviously. I've got an old OC'ed 2500K @ 4.4Ghz. You would think that'd be enough to calculate background NPC's, but it also has to power a 980 at a 1440p resolution with every setting cranked to Ultra, so it only goes so far I guess.

Leatherface

I know I said otherwise initially but my game performance definitely dropped since upgrading to 10 now that I've played more. I'm getting on average 10FPS less than in windows 7, which sucks. All my settings are exactly the same as before yet instead of getting 45-50FPS I am now getting 35-40FPS average.

I just uploaded a few Witcher 3 4k videos to my 4K gaming channel on youtube. Check em out. They were uploaded in 4K, although it takes a while for youtube to include the 4K resolution.

I've been able to maintain nearly 60 fps on average with ultra everything + hairworks. No AA used since it's 4K. It looks amazing on my new Acer gsync 4k monitor (XB280hk). Gsync is awesome with 4K.

I don't want to. It was more to let others know who are on the fence about 10. If you are concerned about losing some FPS you may want to hold off a bit.

I have about the same fps with Windows 10, but windowed borderless performance is noticeably worse than 8.1 (which was perfect for me). I knew the pitfalls of switching over so soon though :(

prophecy0

After upgrading to Windows 10 I cannot get The Witcher 3 to run over 45fps. This is with a 980Ti. The frame rate in game is set to unlimited, v-sync is off, and the framerate is not limited within nVidia Inspector either. I have no issue with any other games.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? It's quite frustrating.

This occurs regardless if I'm in Borderless Windowed or Fullscreen.

Kiyoshi

I don't want to. It was more to let others know who are on the fence about 10. If you are concerned about losing some FPS you may want to hold off a bit.

I've suffered no FPS loss since upgrading. 55-60 (with the variations in between, in exactly the same spots) in Novigrad and 60fps in the wild.

Anteater

Mind sharing your SMAA settings? I also use injected SMAA and can't seem to get the settings perfect.

oops sorry for the late response, pretty sure I copied someone else's settings but don't remember whom's.

Code:
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD              0.08  //[0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold. If SMAA misses some edges try lowering this slightly. I prefer between 0.08 and 0.12.
#define SMAA_DEPTH_THRESHOLD        0.001 //[0.001 to 0.100] Depth edge detection threshold. Same as above but for the depth edge detection. This can go insanely low and still look good.
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS         25  //[0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG     12  //[0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING           25  //[0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners. 0 seems to affect fine text the least so it's the default.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define SMAA_EDGE_DETECTION            2  //[1|2|3] 1 = Luma edge detection, 2 = Color edge detection, 3 = Depth edge detection
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND     0  //[0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.
                                          //Enable this only if you use a Geforce 7xxx series or older card, or a Radeon X1xxx series or older card.

// -- SMAA Predication settings --
#define SMAA_PREDICATION               0  //[0 or 1] Enables predication which uses BOTH the color and the depth texture for edge detection to more accurately detect edges.
#define SMAA_PREDICATION_THRESHOLD 0.09  // Threshold to be used in the depth buffer.                                      
#define SMAA_PREDICATION_SCALE       1.0  // How much to scale the global threshold used for luma or color edge detection when using predication
#define SMAA_PREDICATION_STRENGTH    20.4  // How much to locally decrease the threshold.

Mohonky

Anyone experiencing crashes since moving to Win10?

I recently put a 970GTX in my PC and upgraded to Win 10, so I don't know which might be the problem.

My GTX970 is OC'd, so I figured that might be the problem but I've never experienced instability before in other titles nor have I seen any artefacting in game.

It seems to occur whenever I enter into or out of a conversation, the game just drops back out to Windows, no error messages, no video driver errors or anything like that, it just stops and returns to windows.

LilJoka

Anyone experiencing crashes since moving to Win10?

I recently put a 970GTX in my PC and upgraded to Win 10, so I don't know which might be the problem.

My GTX970 is OC'd, so I figured that might be the problem but I've never experienced instability before in other titles nor have I seen any artefacting in game.

It seems to occur whenever I enter into or out of a conversation, the game just drops back out to Windows, no error messages, no video driver errors or anything like that, it just stops and returns to windows.

Witcher 3 is harder on the GPU so more likely to uncover OC instability. Run without OC for a while or back off by 20Mhz.

Renekton

After upgrading to Windows 10 I cannot get The Witcher 3 to run over 45fps. This is with a 980Ti. The frame rate in game is set to unlimited, v-sync is off, and the framerate is not limited within nVidia Inspector either. I have no issue with any other games.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? It's quite frustrating.

This occurs regardless if I'm in Borderless Windowed or Fullscreen.
Did you set your ini file to read-only?

Yeah, any OC you think is stable in synthetic tests is gonna get rekt in Witcher 3. Just find out where your sweet spot is.

Got my 1440p monitor earlier :)

Gtx 980, i7 5820k, 16gb ram, Patch 1.08

Getting 40-60 fps with everything maxxed except foliage distance and shadows at high, the difference to 1080p is very nice everything is much sharper and detail is alot easier to see :)

The framerates generally very good staying ~ 50 fps most of the time, only time I saw it around 40 was when I was ambushed by like 20 wolves.

At 1080p I get a locked 60, and 1080p on the monitor looks decent too but think I'm gonna stick to 1440p for awile :D

dEvAnGeL

somehow i found that if i set the frame limit to 60 in the game graphics options with vsync on i have a solid 60 all the time, before i had only vsync on and frame set to unlimited and had spikes between 57 and 60, not a lot but still bothersome

Glass

somehow i found that if i set the frame limit to 60 in the game graphics options with vsync on i have a solid 60 all the time, before i had only vsync on and frame set to unlimited and had spikes between 57 and 60, not a lot but still bothersome

Yep, this is exactly how I run my game with a 980 ti in 1440p. Without the vsync the screen tearing was really bad and the frame rate would jump about more.

prophecy0

Did you set your ini file to read-only?

I'm having the same issue and did not set my ini to read only. Should I and why?

I finally diagnosed the issue. My .ini was not set to read-only. It turns out MSI Afterburner was the culprit, but I have no idea why. I have no frame limiter set in RivaTuner, and I'm not using the video recording functionality of Afterburner. The only reason I started using Afterburner is because Precision X seems to cause crashes more often than not, and FRAPS was causing TW3 to crash any time I wanted to take a screenshot. MSI Afterburner seemed to work perfectly, except for the 45 FPS lock. I guess I'll just play the game without worrying about taking any screenshots (I don't want to use Steam due to compression).

I get frameskipping.

Tried vsync on or off, different settings, hairworks on and off, tried setting render ahead to 1 frame in nvidia control panel.
Nothing works.

Google suggests it's been an ongoing and common problem on gtx970s

prophecy0

So I went to go complete the Black Pearl quest since the patch fixed it... and Nidas is nowhere to be seen. I'm standing right where his marker is on the map but he's not there.

Edit: I went to the beach where he waits for you later on in the quest and he was there. I talked to him and the game warped us back to where you initially talk to him near the broken bridge. All is well now.

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm coming back to that game for the first time since launch week and for some reason the game is capped at 30fps and I have no idea how to make it go to 60...

The menus are actually running at 60 but once ingame it's at 30.

I checked the in game options
The ini file
Riva Tuner
NVIDIA Panel

I'm not seeing anything about 30fps anywhere... wtf

Jin

What Vram usage are you guys getting under Windows 10? My 980Ti went from 4GB on Win 7 to 5.4GB on Win10@1440p.

RedSwirl

I just passed through Oxenfurt real quick and I'm glad to say the framerate on my 760 and 4670k didn't drop like a stone. Is that a good indicator of Novigrad and the bog?

Hey guys. I'm thinking about picking W3 up on PC - I've got a setup with an i5-4460 + Asus GTX 760 + 8gb RAM, and want to be able to play it at 1600x900 windowed at a stable 60fps. How realistic is this goal and what sorts of graphical sacrifices would I need to make? Apologies if this has already been answered earlier in the thread, and thanks in advance :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody ever able to identify and fix why I get some grass pop-in when changing grass rendering distance? It's most problematic in Kaer Morhen.

1tdspp.gif

Jin

I play the game @ 4k now and I have not even had it ever break 3.5.. it is usually at about 3.

Are you config tweaking or somethjing?

Nope, no mod or any ini tweaks. Gonna try again and see. I remember hearing the Vram usage skyrocketing for BF4 and Nvidia said they were looking into it. Wonder if it's the same with W3.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What the hell happened to the draw distance in 1.08? Trees and stuff look as good as always but the grass and flowers pop in is super bad. Did they lower LoD or something? I remember Ultra on Foliage Render Distance was quite a hit on my system, not so much any more. I never noticed a a flat "line" where everything within it rendered and everything beyond it was a muddy looking mess.
Unless it's only this bad outside of Novigrad?

dEvAnGeL

1.8 patch is shit, pure and simple, this patch has cut my performance by at least 10 frames, i have a 980ti and whenever im in novigrad or im out on the wild and starts raining if i have foliage distance on ultra my frame goes down to 50, without or without vsync, before that it was locked 60 all the time

ss_lemonade

1.8 patch is shit, pure and simple, this patch has cut my performance by at least 10 frames, i have a 980ti and whenever im in novigrad or im out on the wild and starts raining if i have foliage distance on ultra my frame goes down to 50, without or without vsync, before that it was locked 60 all the time
No difference for me. What I did notice is my game loading much more quicker now, but I also made the jump to windows 10. Could that have made a difference?

tbd

My game actually runs better with every patch /290), I could also swear it generally looks better but now I have some nasty pop-ins that I never had before.

Top Bottom